Extreme measures for better battery life

Search This thread

shr33kant

Nov 3, 2010
I bought a larger capacity battery as mentioned above. I now run an Anker 1900mAh battery in my SGS2. Using Battery Moniter Widget pro here are the differences:

Stock 1650mAh battery empty estimation on average usage after a week:

approx 7 hours 30 minutes from 100% till empty
(bear in mind this is including approx 6 hours of phone calls with 3g enabled, lots and lots of sms, approx 3 hours of music, all via bluetooth with some random gaming for about 30 minutes, always on minimum brightness settings unless it's really bright, in which case I go up to a maximum of 50% brightness.)

Anker 1900mAh batter empty estimation as above:

approx 10 hours 30 minutes from 100% till empty
(same usage as above, but adding about 4 more hours of talk time).

The battery is no bigger than the stock battery and lasts a lot longer...plus the battery was relatively inexpensive from amazon.

I would also like to let y'all know that the measured mAh for the stock battery using the above app was 1570mAh, where the Anker battery has measured as below in my signature. I use 8 widgets (4 Color Note widgets, 1 Beautiful widget superclock, 1 Poweramp, 1 Widgetsoid Switcher and 1 Battery Monitor Widget Pro) on 3 separate homescreens.

Last edited:
Reactions: leyus

phoenix_rizzen

Aug 10, 2011
JuiceDefender, SetCPU, screen brightness, and screen timeout seem to have the biggest effect on saving battery.

My Xperia Pro with factory defaults wouldn't last an entire workday.

With the above apps installed/tweaked, I get over 50 hours of usage.

Usage hasn't changed (GMail, GReader, G+, Facebook, Opera Mobile, some gaming, lots of SMS, some phone calls), but JD+SCPU have done wonders.

No animated widgets, dark wallpaper, 3 homescreens, data/wireless off if screen off (wake every 2 hours to allow syncing).

MF88

Oct 8, 2010
ALEXANDRIA
Here is what i call " my Special Extreme measures "

please note : that u might not apply all of the following but doing the most of them will greatly increase ur battery life

1- standard measures

- use Auto backlight
- use 2 to 3 pages for home screen at most
- dont use widgets unless u need to
- disable AUTO sync
- disable ( wireless - Data ) and only enable them when needed

2- advanced Measures

- use 3rd party apps [cpu scaling apps like " setcpu " - juice Defender]( but i dont use them )
- if u use mails and apps that require regular updates from the internet make sure to set the update frequency to 2 hours or to the highest period u see it reasonable
- if u use power widget/switch widget "make sure to tick the options that allows to disable the 3G while wifi is active " and don't use 3G if u dont need it
- if u use a custom launcher .. make sure not to use too much transition effects and stick to the Default ones

3- Extreme Measures

[ most of the following Requires Root and professional useres ]

- Use a Custom Kernel known of saving battery ( like speedmod for the sgs2 )
- open the titanuim Backup and do the following
Menu button > Batch > Freez ALL APPS
and tick all the System programs and widgets that u do not use or rarely use them
i always freeze the following in the SGS2
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/1389/sc20111210001710.png
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7830/sc20111210001716.png
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1958/sc20111210001727.png
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7186/sc20111210001732.png
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7626/sc20111210001702.png

Note : that the Red ones are the system apps .. only freez what you know
and only freeze what u really dont need or use including the unused user apps wich are the white ones
u can defrost them anytime u like
- at the end calibrate ur battery for maximum performance

Last edited:

mcmb03

Feb 24, 2011
One thing that I found that helps a fair amount too is a tool called "Autorun Manager". It tried to keep applications that start automatically from starting. If you get the pro version you get this feature called persistant mode which will stop it every time it tries to start. It's really useful with apps that run a lot on their own.

In addition to that, I've deleted app that I rarely use. Sometime they connect in the background even when I don't run them which I can see through my battery stats, so I delete them.

EDIT: also I have a 3500mAh battery for my Infuse. I get ~2days with standard use on Galnet MIUI

Last edited:

TangoEight

Feb 18, 2011
Near Manchester
The most extreme I ever went was disabling anything wireless, min brightness, UC to 122MHz, pretty much just using it as an oversize watch. Got about 4 days from my dhd.

W

Wolf Pup

I finally decided I would take some extreme measures to aide the BL of my Androids. I have an HTC Inspire and HTC HD2 with Nexus S Android. The HD2 isn't all that bad...much better BL than the Inspire, but I wanted to apply this measure to both phones. Will it help? Only time will tell.

I started by removing all screen widgets. Then I sorted the screen icons so that a minimum of homescreens were needed...got it down to 2 homescreens. Then I deleted all widgets without apps not able to be opened through an icon. Then I went into Applications manager and cleared and stopped all non-used apps and services. I also deleted all duplicate services such as OEM email accounts and their associated syncing....using add-in apps for them. (example: built-in apps and widgets like Facebook, Twitter are uninstalled or disabled and am using another combining app like Seesmic. Same goes for the email app)

What I currently have is an Android iPhone. I'm using only icons on the 2 homescreens. And this makes me understand why Apple refuses to use widgets and stick with icons...to preserve BL. I hope this will improve the BL of my Androids because it is purely horrendous. And it is horrendous with all Androids I've tried and used.

Until the recently announced battery tech breakthrough is made available, this might have to be how Android is used from now on. But I doubt these extreme measures will actually help.

Change the Network Mode to GSM Auto (PRL)

Neuron

Jan 26, 2011
i have my NS OCed to 1.36GHz, have 7 homescreens almost full 5 of which are widgets with news (tweeter, pulse etc) i use it to message a lot and have music playing for a good number of hours daily. wifi permanently on (in and out of house) sometimes cell data and BT as well. still it manages to get a full day, 7:30am-12:30am with around 20% left each night

deathsled

Aug 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Are these really extreme measures?

I've been running 1 homescreen with no icons or widgets with all autosyncing disabled since I got my EVO well over a year ago. I considered all of that stuff pretty wasteful to start with. I was just trying to make the phone feel less cluttered. Turning off synchronizations is probably the biggest battery saver.

squishy506

Nov 28, 2011
An application is a single, whole program package that is loaded into the phone. Examples would be Tapatalk, the default Calculator, and Angry Birds.

An application can have one or more widgets in it -- a widget is an interactive thing you can place on the home screen. It can give you information, and you can tap on it to change what it says. A good example of that would be Beautiful Widgets, or the little Android guy that tells you about how to use your new phone.

Sent from my Wildfire S

Thank you. I assume everything I download is an app, and the widget is that newsreel that came with it that probably sucks battery because it's constantly updating online.

---------- Post added at 06:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 AM ----------

Buy the biggest battery I can find on eBay....

Use the fsck out of my phone all day and have plenty of battery left.

Problem solved.

They make larger batteries than what comes with a phone?

Dmw017

Aug 6, 2011
I finally decided I would take some extreme measures to aide the BL of my Androids. I have an HTC Inspire and HTC HD2 with Nexus S Android. The HD2 isn't all that bad...much better BL than the Inspire, but I wanted to apply this measure to both phones. Will it help? Only time will tell.

I started by removing all screen widgets. Then I sorted the screen icons so that a minimum of homescreens were needed...got it down to 2 homescreens. Then I deleted all widgets without apps not able to be opened through an icon. Then I went into Applications manager and cleared and stopped all non-used apps and services. I also deleted all duplicate services such as OEM email accounts and their associated syncing....using add-in apps for them. (example: built-in apps and widgets like Facebook, Twitter are uninstalled or disabled and am using another combining app like Seesmic. Same goes for the email app)

What I currently have is an Android iPhone. I'm using only icons on the 2 homescreens. And this makes me understand why Apple refuses to use widgets and stick with icons...to preserve BL. I hope this will improve the BL of my Androids because it is purely horrendous. And it is horrendous with all Androids I've tried and used.

Until the recently announced battery tech breakthrough is made available, this might have to be how Android is used from now on. But I doubt these extreme measures will actually help.

hi tl;dr but your title is self-explanatory. Download Tasker :} You're welcome ^.^
...or if you're an awesome dev, go port over Smart Actions from the RAZR and relish in the white hot sex we will bestow upon you.

vallentin

Jun 21, 2010
On my HD2, I have Nexus HD2, version 2.9, with tytung r10. I have also installed Android Assistant, Battery Calibration and BetterBatteryStats. My phone ''it's alive'' even after 4 days in standby.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
3 months. Leave phone turned off :D

Seriously, who said 11 days???? (know what my reply to that is :D:D:D)

Same with 7 days for that matter, although if you remove the SIM functions, it's theoretically possible. Or just turn everything off so it looks at you with a black single color screen.

4 days, max. With cpu profiles. simple usage. Sms, occasional call. CM7.1.

leonardoaraujo

Feb 17, 2009
Belo Horizonte
for me is also the type of user, using battery drains very quickly, if it can not last long ..

the only thing that made all the difference for me was setting underclock when in standby ..
Let me give you my example:

I have a Motorola Atrix (CM7)

screen on = 1GHz

on 3G
wifi off (turn on only when I use, but can be used to "political inactivity")
Bluethooth off (I do not use)
Sync off (turn on from time to time and do the sync, do not let on at all times, also drains the battery)

Screen off = 912Mhz

Off 3G, only 2G
Sync off
wifi off

I also use droidwall and blocking access to the Internet from almost all my apps, with the exception that I do not want blocked. (blacklist)

---because manufacturers do not make larger batteries???
---because with so much technology in the devices has not had any moron that made the backs of smartphones solar cells to help recharge the batteries???
"In the case of my country that would be quite functional"

-----I sometimes feel I have a maverick v8 (ATRIX), but my gas tank (battery), is nothing but a bottle of coke .-----------

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The thing is, that battery consumption should be minimal AS LONG AS it doesn't make our devices unusable. So - unlike some people - I'm not willing to disable EVERYTHING to gain 3 more hours of usage.

I have an HD2.. with a regular 1230mAh battery.

I use android alarms all the time so I keep TypoClock on my homescreen all the time. I also use the calendar and tasks.. so I have pure calendar on. I have 10 icons of my most used apps (along with the lower shortcut bar in launcher pro) and I read tons of RSS articles so I have Scrollable News Widget (which is AMAZING, btw).

What I am doing, is maximize battery life in a different way.
    I use Tasker to do most of the job for me. I have like 20 profiles..

I can also assure you that putting on a black theme instead of white one will NOT help your battery life. It will kill it. The lighting - as far as I know - has nothing to do with the color of your background. A white background will only help you see better since you need less light to see things since it returns most of it. A black background will swallow more light and you will have to use higher brightness.

I'll try to algorithm-ize everything (this is NOT what I use in tasker.. it's only a logical array of what's actually going on).

1. Data
    Code:
    If "WiFi Available" And Not "Dead Hours" Then
         Enable "WiFi" & Disable "Mobile Data"
    Else
         If "Mobile Data" is Required Then
              If Not "Signal Strength" = Very Low
                   Enable "Mobile Data"
              End If
         Else
              While "Dead Hours"
                   Disable "Mobile Data"
                   Disable "WiFi"
         End If
    End If

2. Bluetooth
    Code:
    If "Bluetooth" is Required Then
         Enable "Bluetooth"
    Else
         Disable "Bluetooth"
    End If

3. GPS
    Code:
    If "Relevant Applications" = Running Then
         "GPS" = On
    Else
         "GPS" = Off
    End If

4. Brightness
    Code:
    If "Alarm" = On Then
         "Screen Brightness" = 10
    Else If "Relevant Applications" = Running Then
         "Screen Brightness" = Auto
    Else
         Use "Brightness Motion Pro" (for fast manual control)
    End If

5.Auto-Sync
    Code:
    While "Dead Hours"
         Disable Auto-Sync

6. USE A WATCH! How many times a day do you turn your display on to look at the time? You're not only waking up the screen. You're interrupting sleep mode.

7. Data sync. I will not get into it too much as every person uses a different set of applications. The idea is, that you need to learn what's important to you and at what frequency and set the polling interval to as low as possible or to not at all.
    For instance, I poll my work mail every 15 mins instead of using push and it's a battery saver.

8. Use "Current Widget". You will learn how to act accordingly.

9. If you're not a market addict, use wifi only for updates. Using mobile data for downloads is MUCH worse a battery eater than downloading thru wifi.

10. Use MORE apps which SHORTEN your usage - LESS apps which you do not use.
    When you spend more time with your display on (which is, of course, the WORST battery killer) you will need to recharge more. I use Homescreen Icons, Launcher Pro's shortcut bar and "Wave Launcher" to minimize the need to look for apps in my drawer and I use SwipePad to call my favs instead of having to look for them in my contacts app. I also use Delayed Lock so that I don't have to unlock my phone every time when i'm in a familiar place. Idle apps will hardly consume battery - and these apps are 99% idle.

Some apps which you're not using might require background sync/whatever...

11. Minimize SD Card usage.
    You don't have to stop listening to music if that's your thing. What you CAN do, is move as less apps as possible to your sdcard. SD access consumes more battery (if i'm not mistaken) than nand access.

12. Disable as many "less important (to you) features" as possible, in settings.
    Disabling haptic feedback and other vibration-using features will help a lot. Disabling animations.. will help less, but still help.

13. Volume
    Lowering the Volume of ringtones and notifications in quieter places will consume less battery. For instance - I use:

Code:
    While "Location" = "Home" || "GF's Place" || ...
         If Not "Alarm Volume" Then
              "Volume" = 30%-

14. Last thing. Some of you probably turn it on to see if something has changed in the last 22 seconds (IT DIDN'T!) or to click the app drawer, roll thru the apps, and turn the screen off again. Stop that. It's stupid. It doesn't even have anything to do with your battery life.. it's stupid regardless of that :)

You're invited to pm me if you want some help with setting up tasker.

cheers.
    An application is a single, whole program package that is loaded into the phone. Examples would be Tapatalk, the default Calculator, and Angry Birds.

An application can have one or more widgets in it -- a widget is an interactive thing you can place on the home screen. It can give you information, and you can tap on it to change what it says. A good example of that would be Beautiful Widgets, or the little Android guy that tells you about how to use your new phone.

Sent from my Wildfire S
    I've taken similar measures and have been able to go 11 DAYS on a single charge at one time, now averaging about 6-7 days per charge.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1305130

The important thing is to get the idle battery use down (< 1%/hr idle), and let important notifications through (using SMS is more efficient than keeping a 3G connection active.
    Completely agree. What's the point. Either you don't use your phone for ANYTHING, and watch the battery last for 2 weeks (literally), or you use it so heavily that it lasts only 2 hours....

I was sick recently, and as such couldn't use my phone (I couldn't open my eyes without getting dizzy, and even closed.... still was). Suddenly my HTC Inspire 4G used only 20% of the battery in 10 hours. The previous day, heavy mail, "friendstream" (HTC's facebook/twitter/etc app/widget), listening to music (well, audiobooks) for about 8 hours, and I had only 20% left. And i've found that overclocking the phone to 1.3GHz helps more than any other tweak.

Don't get me wrong, I'm obsessive about using my phone *and* getting awesome battery life out of it. But the ONLY way to true "maximize" your battery life is to *minimize* your usage. But then you might as well buy a feature phone.

And I know a few people with iPhones. a 3GS and a 4 and a 4S. They don't get any better battery life than I do. Heck, they get worse. Even under the same type of usage.

For me, the problem isn't the usage, isn't what's running, or what's loaded (but it does help/hurt). The problem is that battery technology has NOT kept up with consumer needs, or IT development. Your battery is dying as soon as it leaves the factory. Your battery is dying every time you change it. Especially when it gets hot. your battery dies faster when it's cold outside. We need better energy storage medium. Period.
    Thank you for the info on Slide Screen Pro (I found only it's homepage. Can't find it on the market though). I'll make sure to check it out since I believe it's the thing I would love to use + save up BL. It's funny that this app actually reminds me on the homescreen of my old HP iPaq 100 series with Windows Mobile 6.0 :)

Edit: Unfortunately Slide Screen Pro has somehow stopped developing that's why it's not on the market anymore :/. Thanks anyways ^_^

yea, the apk is there though, is it still useful?

Code:
    http://larvalabs.com/blog/android/the-end-of-slidescreen/