[Guide]Rooting Xperia S ICS and GB (Locked Bootloaders) (Easier new method with CWM)

Search This thread

Lord Takyon

Jul 26, 2010
Forgive my ignorance but this should work with an O2 (UK) XS with a locked bootloader? Also being rooted means I can e.g. install apps that require root like Samba and the app that blocks adverts, install ROMs, remove bloatware etc? So if you can do all of that on root - why do you need an unlocked bootloader?

Can't install custom roms with locked bootloader.

Sent from my XperiaS via transwarp conduit.

SFU11

Dec 22, 2011
Bandung
Can't install custom roms with locked bootloader.

yes because we have no CWM yet. Am I correct?

The title is confusing !!!
Can we root Xperia S with ICS, bootloader locked???

sent from seXperia S

Yes. You can have root with locked bootloader.

===================================

btw, now I have rooted. Thx OP.
- xperia s - generic ch - locked -

lullesha

Jun 18, 2010
Hmmm, I did all the steps, never was there an error -except acore error never happened to me. Xperia Home did force closed however.

At the end I installed superuser but I couldn't achieve root acess..

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Silly me, I forgot to execute step5.bat ...

Last edited:

Lord Takyon

Jul 26, 2010
Hmmm, I did all the steps, never was there an error -except acore error never happened to me. Xperia Home did force closed however.

Any ideas?

I never got the acore error either. As for superuser, just keep trying. I got supersu working eventually.

Mr_Porter

Jul 4, 2012
Hello

I am on build number 6.0.a.3.73 vodafone Australia ive seen people say you need to be on 75 before you start this process. if so what one do i flash to in the download section these LT26I_6.0.A.3.75_CE1.zip and LT26i_6.0.A.3.75_Generic NL.ftf.7z

or can i just start on 73

Thanks

mamboboy

May 7, 2011
I get numerous "error: more than one device and emulator" when I run step1. Out of ideas of what to do now :(

One device etc error- try restarting your pc,exit pcc,exit flashtool every after use.

TommyR

I've reboot but still getting the same thing. Is it normal for 'adb devices' to list two identical devices? and for them to both be offline?
Didn't think it would be so much hassle to get past step 1!

EDIT: Back of the net! Decided to unplug some peripherals (webcam, xbox 360 controller adapter) and moved the phone cable to a different, possibly non usb3 socket and it worked first time.
Fingers crossed the rest goes smoothly.

Attachments

• fffuuu.jpg
    fffuuu.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Afia2k8

Jun 24, 2009

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Silly me, I forgot to execute step5.bat ...

Try again, it should work.

Also, There's two types in the play store, "superuser", and "superSU". To me, when finally using ICS rom. SuperSU works best to use with apps requiring root.

Hello

I am on build number 6.0.a.3.73 vodafone Australia ive seen people say you need to be on 75 before you start this process. if so what one do i flash to in the download section these LT26I_6.0.A.3.75_CE1.zip and LT26i_6.0.A.3.75_Generic NL.ftf.7z

or can i just start on 73

Thanks

You deffinitely need .75 (any .75). Trust me, I tried this process 5 times with .73 when I finally realised to try out a .75 ROM, and it worked first time.

asg.srtw

May 2, 2012
Wroclaw
I have a question. My Xperia S is currently updated to ICS through PC Companion, official PL Plusgsm firmware.
I know I have to downgrade to GB and so on, but is there a way to finally install the same firmware I have installed now?
I didn't found ICS Central Europe ftf file, and I don't want to have CH or DE version, can I somehow make ftf file from my phone, so I can get back to my current firmware but with root?

Last edited:

kanchigo

May 24, 2009
Sydney
Try again, it should work.

Also, There's two types in the play store, "superuser", and "superSU". To me, when finally using ICS rom. SuperSU works best to use with apps requiring root.

You deffinitely need .75 (any .75). Trust me, I tried this process 5 times with .73 when I finally realised to try out a .75 ROM, and it worked first time.

No. I tried with. 73 and rooted my phone without any problem.

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

Lord Takyon

Jul 26, 2010
No. I tried with. 73 and rooted my phone without any problem.

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

It's a twitchy process, I had top run a few of the bat files more than once.

I did have to end adb via task manager after each step, and obviously read the first post.

davidht

May 4, 2012
Valencia
yeah still no root.

does everyone else have to open flashtool before running each bat file?
ok so i start flashtool, then run the bat files. any ideas what would cause the error with the batch file not being able to kill the flashtool64.exe file?

Thanks

What I did was I closed flashtools after every use, making sure it was not running when I ran the batch files. It worked flawlessly the first time.

Enviado desde mi LT26i usando Tapatalk 2

imTigger

Jul 16, 2008
Hong Kong
I've rooted my phone last night, and here's some hints:

You MUST wipe data after downgrade from ICS to GB, otherwise you will get "permission denied" error in step1.bat,
so make sure you have backup everything before downgrading.

Anicane

Mar 30, 2008
Ålesund
This ''partition exclude'' option does it have to be checked or unchecked ? cause when i check it i get error, without it it goes fine.

Anicane

Mar 30, 2008
Ålesund
But i get error when i do that, same with the last part of the flashing, when i check all the options in flashtool i get error and flashing stops...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tutorial will show you how to root your xperia s

Make Sure You are on gingerbread stock rom

ROOT TOOLKIT http://www.mediafire.com/?o1v2o6afuoc1w33

(1) Application Settings: [Unknown sources] checked {Allowed}
    (2) Application Settings: Development [USB debugging] checked {Allowed}
    (3) Application Settings: Development [Stay awake] checked {Allowed}
    (4) Settings -> Display settings [Screen timeout] Set to 30 minutes
    *If your screen goes off just once then you won’t be able to return to the installation properly. Very important!!
    Please think about your battery and try to keep the display brightness to a minimum.
    (5) Please use a regular picture for the background. Do not use the default live wallpaper.
    (6) Charge the Xperia S’s battery to 80%.
    (7) Use the Generic CH (1257-3740) XPERIA S LT26i ROM (6.1.A.0.452).
    Can be found here along with the latest FLASTOOL link: http://www.xdafileserver.nl/index.php?dir=Sony+(Ericsson)/SE+Xperia+S+(LT26i)/STOCK+ROMS
    (8) Net framework 3.5 or later
    (9) Gingerbread part 1 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?004x3fnftr32135 part 2 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?23e963o6a8dq8rg

[Installation Process]

(1) Flash Gingerbread firmware wiping data and cache only if you are not on gingerbread
    (2) Run Step 1.bat
    (3) Install ICE CREAM SANDWICH without wiping anything
    (4) Run step 2.bat

To enter CWM recovery you have to tap on sony logo at start few times.

If it does not root properly first time run it again

Thanks to Bin4ry for the files :)
    Just received my Xperia S, and rooted it just after ^^

Here is the method who work for sure (not working if i just follow the first post) :
    1. Flash Gingerbread
    2. Power on the phone, and set the phone like this :
    Application Settings: [Unknown sources] checked {Allowed}
    Application Settings: Development [USB debugging] checked {Allowed}
    Application Settings: Development [Stay awake] checked {Allowed}
    Settings -> Display settings [Screen timeout] Set to 30 minutes
    Use a regular picture for the background. Do not use the default live wallpaper.
    3. Go to home screen
    4. Open command prompt with Admin Right, go to folder where you extracted Root Kit, and run "Step 1.bat"

You get this :
    9197706501.png

5. Flash ICS without wiping anything, disconnect the phone and power it on, then unlock the screen
    6. Type "cd .." in command prompt
    7. Run "Step2.bat"

You get this :
    8203928502.png

8. The phone reboot, disconnect it immediatly, and wait to reach the home screen (unlock if necessary)
    9. Reconnect the phone

You get this :
    8162312403.png

10. The phone reboot, disconnect it immediatly, and wait to reach the home screen (unlock if necessary)
    11. Reconnect the phone

You get this :
    6431179904.png

Voila, your phone is rooted!

Info : for some people (like me), if i let the phone connected during reboot, the "Root Kit" think the phone is booted at "Sony Logo", and all operation failed. Disconnecting after each reboot and waiting home screen/unlock prevent this bug.
    XperiaSrootingKit (English Translated version)

XperiaSrootingKit 1.0.4 (Based-on Sharaz22's guide and huhka_com's acroHDrootingKit)

(1) SuperSU pre-installed
    (2) English Translation

Sharaz2
    huhka_com
    Sorry about the problem everyone has been having with rooting their devices please test this and report back if it works or not links updated in the op
    Yes it will root locked bootloader's.