[ROOT] TowelRoot - 4.3 & 4.4.2

Search This thread

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Hey everyone! Most of you have probably already heard about this, but for those who have not, I thought I would post up the information.

XDA Recognized Developer @geohot has developed a new root method that so far is working for many, many devices....Including ours!!! And believe me, it just does not get any easier than this!

Check out geohot's original thread here on XDA: I'm throwing a party and you should come **GS5 ROOT THREAD**

Don't forget to at least click his Thanks button, and consider donating to him if you can. There was a bounty started for rooting the Verizon and AT&T S5's, and they finally got their wish! And geohot gets to claim a nearly $19,000 bounty!!! Amazing stuff! For those who may not be familiar with his previous work, he was the first to jailbreak the iPhone/iPod, and if I am not mistaken he did the same with the PS3!

So anyway, you are here to root your device, no? I guess we should get on with it then!

This is confirmed to work on 4.3, NC2 firmware for the T999, as well as 4.3 and 4.4.2 KK firmware for the I747! It should work for the T999V firmware released this morning, and for the upcoming KK updates to the T999/T999L/T999N!

HOW TO ROOT WITH TOWELROOT
Developed By: geohot

Go to http://towelroot.com
Click on the red Lambda symbol to download the towelroot.apk
Install towelroot.apk on your device
Open the app
"make it ra1n"

You are now rooted! But need to follow a couple more steps.
Install Chainfire's SuperSU from the Play Store
Open SuperSu and let it update the su binary
When it asks if you would like to disable Knox, SAY YES!

Note: I tested this on stock unrooted 4.3 firmware. Build NC2. When I told SuperSu to disable Knox it just hung with the spinner going. I just had to close SuperSu, reopen and when prompted again, said yes and it worked just fine.

There you have it! The easiest root method we have ever had for our S3's! Enjoy! :cowboy:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Recently many have reported problems with root after installing SuperSU. Mostly they are issues with updating the binary breaking root. Chainfire knows about this and is working on it, but until he fixes it do not install via the Play Store.

Instead, download and install (as a normal app) SuperSU 2.00 from here.
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23622183712471997

This should get you guys by until he finds a fix. Sorry for the trouble some of you have had.

Last edited:

cLogic

Sep 13, 2012
Montreal
CONFIRMED .. this worked on My Videotron SGH-T999V with latest stock 4.4.2 firmware (NF1) ... altho with the following notes ...

at first I tried to use the same procedure I used to root 4.3 (twrp 2.7.1.0 recovery, de-knox script, and superSu 1.65) ... but su binary would either fail to update or not survive boot

used latest towel root apk (version 2), but su binary failed to update until after a reboot

now I'm in the process of using root and Titanium to debloat KitKat .. thanks samsung, lol

so far, I don't really notice much difference between kitkat and 4.3 which is kinda odd for a "major" release .. it's actually a letdown

mucho thanks for bringing this to our forum, Doc ... merci bien :)

yeeahnick

Aug 3, 2011
thank you for this method, unfortunately i only found out about this now and rooted with cf-auto-root last night. Are there are advantages using towelroot instead of cf-auto-root besides that you dont need odin?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
In the end, root is root. So no real advantages once you've already done so. This just makes the process extra quick and super easy!
I consider it to be the safest method at this point as well. If for no other reason than it limits the potential for human errors. But it also requires no flashing, which which always carries some risk of its own.

If anyone who has never tripped the warranty bit tries this method, please confirm it does not trip it.
Its been reported not to already on other devices, and I see no reason it would, but its better to have confirmation on each device nonetheless.

And fyi, after flashing stock then running Towelroot, the device status remained "Official" and I could still check for updates until I rebooted. After rebooting it re-runs its check and sets the status to "Custom".

northghost

May 2, 2012
Thanks worked great on my sgh-t999v running stock 4.4.2, it got hung up on disabling knox but after a reset and opening supersu again the message popped up and disabled knox. This is aMAZing

Last edited:
Reactions: cLogic

cash2387

Dec 2, 2010
Halifax
So I tried Towelroot yesterday with both mine and my wifes S3, I can confirm that it works and didn't have any problems. I've included screenshots from Download Mode and Device Status...All Official!....And most important....DeBloated!!!!:D:cool:

Thanks for the advise Doc:victory:

Attachments

• IMG_20140625_190130.jpg
    IMG_20140625_190130.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 3,633
  • IMG_20140625_190007.jpg
    IMG_20140625_190007.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 3,604
  • Screenshot_2014-06-25-19-18-54.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-25-19-18-54.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 3,550
Last edited:

fasteddie5

Apr 18, 2011
After completing this, is it as easy as getting goo manager or rom manager from playstore, and installing a custom recovery?

Been out of the loop for a while now...lol

new2and

Sep 29, 2012
That was the easiest root ever. Just followed your instructions and only had an "issue" with SuperSU. I just rebooted and all is working fine. Thanks.

masondoctorjt

Apr 18, 2010
LG V60 ThinQ
If anyone who has never tripped the warranty bit tries this method, please confirm it does not trip it.
Its been reported not to already on other devices, and I see no reason it would, but its better to have confirmation on each device nonetheless.
I can confirm that the warranty bit does not get tripped with this rooting method. The status is custom now however but warranty but remains at 0.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: serio22

fgarzabangs

May 29, 2014
Worked

Thank You, Thank You, Thank you Geohot, you the man, this worked great on my Samsung Galaxy S5 with KitKat 4.4.2 Firmware, I got at AT&T!!!! Finally can use my SD Card as intended.

Hey everyone! Most of you have probably already heard about this, but for those who have not, I thought I would post up the information.

XDA Recognized Developer @geohot has developed a new root method that so far is working for many, many devices....Including ours!!! And believe me, it just does not get any easier than this!

Check out geohot's original thread here on XDA: I'm throwing a party and you should come **GS5 ROOT THREAD**

Don't forget to at least click his Thanks button, and consider donating to him if you can. There was a bounty started for rooting the Verizon and AT&T S5's, and they finally got their wish! And geohot gets to claim a nearly $19,000 bounty!!! Amazing stuff! For those who may not be familiar with his previous work, he was the first to jailbreak the iPhone/iPod, and if I am not mistaken he did the same with the PS3!

So anyway, you are here to root your device, no? I guess we should get on with it then!

This is confirmed to work on 4.3, NC2 firmware for the T999, as well as 4.3 and 4.4.2 KK firmware for the I747! It should work for the T999V firmware released this morning, and for the upcoming KK updates to the T999/T999L/T999N!

Open the app
"make it ra1n"

Note: I tested this on stock unrooted 4.3 firmware. Build NC2. When I told SuperSu to disable Knox it just hung with the spinner going. I just had to close SuperSu, reopen and when prompted again, said yes and it worked just fine.

There you have it! The easiest root method we have ever had for our S3's! Enjoy! :cowboy:

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Thank You, Thank You, Thank you Geohot, you the man, this worked great on my Samsung Galaxy S5 with KitKat 4.4.2 Firmware, I got at AT&T!!!! Finally can use my SD Card as intended.

If I remember correctly, the AT&T S5's bootloader was locked and you guys couldn't gain root, right? Be careful on your next updates because as I understand it, Towelroot makes use of a kernel exploit which I believe has been patched in all kernels dated after June 6. This means Towelroot most likely will not work on future updates for you guys.
I could be wrong, and hope I am, but just use caution when you update again.

broken7

Jul 5, 2014
I have a wind mobile S3. It was running 4.3 and rooted. I upgraded to 4.4.2 via odin and none of the methods including this one are working for me.

getochkn

Dec 25, 2010
I have a wind mobile S3. It was running 4.3 and rooted. I upgraded to 4.4.2 via odin and none of the methods including this one are working for me.

I am on Wind, upated to the latest 4.4.2 via Odin, went to the website, downloaded the app, ran it, install SuperSU, rebooted and was rooted. I had to do the "knox disable" thing twice, but that's it. I rooted fine.

broken7

Jul 5, 2014
I am on Wind, upated to the latest 4.4.2 via Odin, went to the website, downloaded the app, ran it, install SuperSU, rebooted and was rooted. I had to do the "knox disable" thing twice, but that's it. I rooted fine.

I had to remove lbe security master then the root worked.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

I've got it rooted, xposed installed with the module to translate lbe but I can't download lbe security master because it's not available in my country, thanks google store. So frustrating.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Open the app
    "make it ra1n"

Recently many have reported problems with root after installing SuperSU. Mostly they are issues with updating the binary breaking root. Chainfire knows about this and is working on it, but until he fixes it do not install via the Play Store.

Instead, download and install (as a normal app) SuperSU 2.00 from here.
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23622183712471997

This should get you guys by until he finds a fix. Sorry for the trouble some of you have had.
    CONFIRMED .. this worked on My Videotron SGH-T999V with latest stock 4.4.2 firmware (NF1) ... altho with the following notes ...

at first I tried to use the same procedure I used to root 4.3 (twrp 2.7.1.0 recovery, de-knox script, and superSu 1.65) ... but su binary would either fail to update or not survive boot

used latest towel root apk (version 2), but su binary failed to update until after a reboot

now I'm in the process of using root and Titanium to debloat KitKat .. thanks samsung, lol

so far, I don't really notice much difference between kitkat and 4.3 which is kinda odd for a "major" release .. it's actually a letdown

mucho thanks for bringing this to our forum, Doc ... merci bien :)
    In the end, root is root. So no real advantages once you've already done so. This just makes the process extra quick and super easy!
    I consider it to be the safest method at this point as well. If for no other reason than it limits the potential for human errors. But it also requires no flashing, which which always carries some risk of its own.

And fyi, after flashing stock then running Towelroot, the device status remained "Official" and I could still check for updates until I rebooted. After rebooting it re-runs its check and sets the status to "Custom".
    It's the strangest thing y'all. My root will come and go in seems like an arbitrary manner. The only reason i noticed is because my quickboot reboot widget would make the screen go blank (hang) from which i could hit the 'return' hardware key to go back to homescreen. I would then confirm by opening any root-needed app (triangle/TB, etc) and get the 'root needed for functionality' message.

In any case - to elaborate on the root coming and going phenomenon.

I came from stock T999 (non LTE) and believe i had an OTA or two under my belt but was running 4.0.1 or 4.1.1 latest! I can be lazy about these things and was happy about my original root method (though i can't remember which method that was) but recently tried to see if OTA method worked when i saw that Tmo was on to my root (settings/about/phone/software update produced message. Turns out the flash counter is responcible for that, as confirmed after Triangle usage).

Then i flashed latest NC2 update - found through samfirmware via ODIN, and after i couldn't find a relatively 'safe' method to root (based on online documentation, reading up on KNOX, my own comfort levels, etc), stumbled on the cf-auto-root and flashed that. So far so good for a couple of days.

Then, after a couple of days, the root was gone as described above. Reflashed auto root, integrated SuperSU into system and ran Aroma Installer full de-bloat. I couldn't find the recommended knox system entries to delete via TB, and assumed they were never included in the auto-root image. But i did download KNOX Disabler just in case. Never used it.

Then my root was gone again after a couple of days and thinking i had nothing to lose i tried to run KNOX Disabler. The app didn't seem to work and looked like it was hanging, but after a reboot the root has returned.

So now the situation is that (and this is mostly trial and error), the root will disappear after some time (i'm paranoically checking it twice a day now, and might establish duration or reboot patterns at some point), at which point i'll go through the knox disabler/hang/reboot/root returned loop.

My situation seems unique as far as wide google and xda search results - and it seems manageable (if annoying) for the moment, but it would be great to understand and resolve the bloody strangeness.

Thanks for listening and any contributions on the matter!
    Did you ever open SuperSU and disable Knox from there? Knox may be conflicting with root access

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

I didn't look much further than this post but it states that for CM you need to start from ICS. Is there another thread I should check out?
    It was probably an old post.. I'm sure it will work, but since it is an old cm build you may need to edit the assert lines to match your bootloader.. I wouldn't go back to cm10 though since we have cm11