Rogers HTC Magic rooted, but can't tether

Search This thread

tribalmunky

Nov 20, 2007
So thanks to RA and Haykuro, I have my Magic rooted. But I'm still unable to tether. I get this message in the log of the app:

Code:
Tearing down firewall rules...
iptables v1.3.7: can't initialize iptables
table 'filter': iptables who? (do you need 
to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to 
be upgraded.
failed

What can I do to make it work?

ranxoren

Aug 16, 2007
from wot i gather, the iptables on the Rogers rom dont allow you to tether and therefore you have to load a custom ROM for it to work aka the ION5 rom for example. It already comes with a tethering app. I cant try it since im overseas on a paygo sim card with no data plan.

Someone correct me if im wrong please.

Amon_RA

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
My best guess is that the Rogers kernel isn't supporting netfilter/iptables , you'll have to replace the kernel with a "netfilter-enabled" kernel or compile one yourself.

birnie

Jun 10, 2009
Im as noob as you get with linux stuff, but is it extremely had to recompile the original rogers kernel with IPtables?

Birnie

jfive74

Apr 15, 2008
From what I have read, you with 1.5 cupcake, deep root access was blocked and to attain that level, got to apply this "su" to enable it. hey warn that it leaves phone security wide open. Google search. Will post
link I found shortly.

alpinux

Feb 6, 2008
From what I have read, you with 1.5 cupcake, deep root access was blocked and to attain that level, got to apply this "su" to enable it. hey warn that it leaves phone security wide open. Google search. Will post
link I found shortly.

It's not a matter of root access. As Amon_RA said you'll have to replace your kernel in the boot.img or recompile one yourself.
To answer the next question "how does it work"...... google is your friend: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=compile+android+kernel&btnG=Google-Suche&meta=&aq=f&oq

tribalmunky

Nov 20, 2007
It's not a matter of root access. As Amon_RA said you'll have to replace your kernel in the boot.img or recompile one yourself.
To answer the next question "how does it work"...... google is your friend: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=compile+android+kernel&btnG=Google-Suche&meta=&aq=f&oq

Yeah, I confirmed it with the wifi-tether devs and they confirmed what Amon_RA said. The rom doesn't have netfilter support. Need to flash a ROM that has it to use it.

jfive74

Apr 15, 2008
do you think its possible to swap the nandroid backup data.img from daldroids rom that i have with the nandroid backup data.img from rogers rom and then flash to device? just because i find the daldroid rom not really customised for rogers 7.2mbps data connection. i could be wrong. Please advise. Thanks.