Sony NSG-MR5U or MR7U remote

Search This thread

nebu_06

Apr 26, 2013
Washington, DC
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone has tried to make the Sony NSG-MR5U or NSG-MR7U (the same but with a microphone), originally made for the NSZ-GS7 and NSZ-GS8 Google TV boxes, on Android ?

I was looking for remote for my android tablet (Samsung Galaxy note 8) and Nexus 5 that I plug on my TV. I found tons of ****ty "made in china" bluetooth remotes on the amazon/ebay (like the iPazzPort™ ProMini Bluetooth Mini Wireless Keyboard).

I have bought this Sony remote, the quality and feel is really good, it can pair with my tablet, the keyboard and most buttons are working, but unfortunately the touchpad is not... This would be the ultimate remote for Android :eek:

I did not find anything on the web, except some people tried to make the NSG-MR5U on Linux (forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=153504&page=2 and mail-archive.com/linux-input@vger.kernel.org/msg03251.html), but agin the trackpad is not working. I did not find anything on XDA about this remote.

Anyone has an idea how to make the touchpad of this remote work on Android ?

fort21

Jan 20, 2014
Let us know if you find the way to solve it. I am considering to buy Logitech K400r guys are agreeing to be the best choice. Thanx.

unvaluablespace

Jul 4, 2007
I want this remote to work on my windows HTPC. everything works except a few minor buttons and the trackpad. all this remote really needs is someone with experience to make a trackpad driver, and whatever would be necessary to allow the remote to wake a sleeping machine. The keyboard and most media keys work fine on their own. the rest of the keys that don't work can be customized using Eventghost. I have a serial cable for my Samsung tv to connect to my pc as well to operate the tv for basic functions. if I could just get this remote to work, id have a perfect setup for my needs. :(

Also, confirmed working on my Nexus 5. basically all functions OP mentioned work. no trackpad of course. I wonder if someone could pull the drivers from the Sony google TV this remote came from, since its an android device as well?

nebu_06

Apr 26, 2013
Washington, DC
I want this remote to work on my windows HTPC. everything works except a few minor buttons and the trackpad. all this remote really needs is someone with experience to make a trackpad driver, and whatever would be necessary to allow the remote to wake a sleeping machine. The keyboard and most media keys work fine on their own. the rest of the keys that don't work can be customized using Eventghost. I have a serial cable for my Samsung tv to connect to my pc as well to operate the tv for basic functions. if I could just get this remote to work, id have a perfect setup for my needs. :(

Also, confirmed working on my Nexus 5. basically all functions OP mentioned work. no trackpad of course. I wonder if someone could pull the drivers from the Sony google TV this remote came from, since its an android device as well?

Up!
This remote already has a driver for Android (I think the Sony NSZ-GS8 Google TV box is running the Jelly Bean Google TV). Does anyone know how to extract a driver from Android in general? The closest answer I found to this is not very encouraging : android.stackexchange.com/questions/28379/where-are-android-drivers-located-in-the-system

[PS: the 10 post limitation for posting URLs and in Dev forums is really very annoying!]

nebu_06

Apr 26, 2013
Washington, DC
Let us know if you find the way to solve it. I am considering to buy Logitech K400r guys are agreeing to be the best choice. Thanx.

How the Logitech K400r is supposed to work on Android? According to the specs, this keyboard is using the unifying receiver instead of the bluetooth standard.. But that said, I have this keyboard for a Windows 7 PC and it is working beautifully.

killerskincanoe

Mar 4, 2009
Sony Xperia Ion
Oppo Find 5
so. Im bringing back this thread, or trying to. I've had this remote for some time, pretty much collecting dust. I was so sure i'd be able to get it working with my Minix X7 I ordered the second i saw a dso. Im bringing back this thread, or trying to. I've had this remote for some time, pretty much collecting dust. I was so sure i'd be able to get it working with my Minix X7 I ordered the second i saw a decent price. Well those hopes and dreams came and went. Now here we are today, i've got a brand new nVidia Shield console that i'm pretty sure has a BETTER chance than my Minix X7 at getting this to work. Why you ask? Well for one the Box this was designed to work with was a Sony made Google TV .. hoping someone somewhere has a copy of that firmware and we might be able to extract what we need to get this working fully! C'mon Who is with me?!?!?

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
so. Im bringing back this thread, or trying to. I've had this remote for some time, pretty much collecting dust. I was so sure i'd be able to get it working with my Minix X7 I ordered the second i saw a dso. Im bringing back this thread, or trying to. I've had this remote for some time, pretty much collecting dust. I was so sure i'd be able to get it working with my Minix X7 I ordered the second i saw a decent price. Well those hopes and dreams came and went. Now here we are today, i've got a brand new nVidia Shield console that i'm pretty sure has a BETTER chance than my Minix X7 at getting this to work. Why you ask? Well for one the Box this was designed to work with was a Sony made Google TV .. hoping someone somewhere has a copy of that firmware and we might be able to extract what we need to get this working fully! C'mon Who is with me?!?!?

I just retired my Sony Nsz-gs8 for a Nvidia Shield TV but I miss the sony remote so hopefully someone can do their magic.