[ROM][TV STICK] JASS Rom for the Favi Smartstick

Search This thread

mrl0n3ly714

Jan 30, 2007
Tampa Bay
Yes you believe correctly. Switch your router to that channel if not done so already. Then Make SS forget your SSID. Reboot the SS and then Re-Start from there.

I did n that would make it even slower on speed test app
Only under 1Mbps

My router has abgn banda which auto set on each device.

I'm pretty much confident it's a limit on either hardware or software. Not on configuration

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
I did n that would make it even slower on speed test app
Only under 1Mbps

My router has abgn banda which auto set on each device.

I'm pretty much confident it's a limit on either hardware or software. Not on configuration
If your router has mixed mode, then switch to N-Only mode. That will definitely improve the things.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
I did prior change the Chanel but didn't help

Don't known what's going on.

Does anyone experience samething ?
Your single line responses so far have not provided much to go on. There's not much I can do to help unless you can furnish more details.

Besides this is a Discussion thread of the ROM, which incidentally you do not use and do not wish to use. You are trying to hijack this thread to use as FAVI Support forum. They actually do have their own forum over at

http://smartstick.info/forum/index.php

I suggest you make use of that.

mrl0n3ly714

Jan 30, 2007
Tampa Bay
so i fixed the problem for anyone experienced same issue with slow internet connection.

u gotta put the router next to SS, lie really next to it, the antenna on SS is really poor, even 5 to 10 feets away from router will decrease tremendous of the speed.

SS does not make to use USB to Ethernet port, only under 2Mbps.

I put the SS next to router and its showing 16Mbps

darksoul21

Jul 27, 2008
Google Play not registering the device

Good morning, Thank you for the ROM. Is google play not working? I cannot download any apps from device and play online via PC does not see the device.

"You haven't accessed the Google Play Store app (the white shopping bag app icon) on your device with this email account. Learn more."

Tried a Gapp zip update and still a nogo. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Good morning, Thank you for the ROM. Is google play not working? I cannot download, update any apps from device and play online via PC does not see the device. Tried a Gapp zip update and still a nogo. Thanks for your help.
Its been working fine for me. Can you do factory Reset and then proceed with the Initial setup wizard ? Try Play immediately afterwards. Make sure your internet access is working fine before you try.

Please don't try flashing Gapps before you try.

darksoul21

Jul 27, 2008
Its been working fine for me. Can you do factory Reset and then proceed with the Initial setup wizard ? Try Play immediately afterwards. Make sure your internet access is working fine before you try.

Reflashed instead, did not get the "random error #" and it works now. Thanks again.

wrigleyirish

Jul 10, 2013
Xbox 360 Controller

Registered just to show my thanks, and yes I clicked thanks on your posts. One request though. I would love to use this thingy as an emulator with a USB controller. Is this inordinately complex or can I dare to dream?

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Registered just to show my thanks, and yes I clicked thanks on your posts. One request though. I would love to use this thingy as an emulator with a USB controller. Is this inordinately complex or can I dare to dream?
Thanks for the kind words. They mean a GREAT deal to me.
I won't say inordinately complex. But depends on what you are looking for. For ex. If you are looking for Playstation Mobile, Device Authorization Library is included so all you need is the APK. Link to that is in the OP.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    3QxU7.png

This thread is for a custom ROM for the FAVI Smartstick.

DISCLAIMER
    • I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    • Please do some research of your own, if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it!
    • YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and do know that I am not asking you to make the decision to flash this ROM.
    • If you choose to flash this ROM, do so but that's entirely your decision.
    Having said that, I am here to help and will do my best to help you if you run into trouble. All I ask is, in case of problems, kindly post as many details on the problem as you can. This will help me narrow down the problem.

About JASS -

Just Another SS Rom is my own customized rom. It uses the same ICS 4.0.4 codebase as the stock. Due to the ingrained AMLOGIC's Library, I am reluctant to modify the Kernel significantly. Rest of the Rom however has been worked on considerably. It has been oriented towards gaining maximum performance out of the single Processor on board. It also unlocks the true potential of the Mali GPU.

We all would love to see Jellybean on the Favi Smartstick. But such is not the case. The blame squarely lies at the doorstep of Amlogic the maker of the A9 processor inside. Until such time they release source for Jellybean, we will have to wait. Just so you are aware, you are not alone. The whole community of Ainol NOVO Tablet, which is based on same Processor, rebelled at this. Given they are considerably larger than the one for this stick, they had pressured Ainol into releasing JB. Ainol pointed to AMLOGIC so a petition has already been created to Amlogic. If they succeed, we shall benefit.

So is all lost till then ? Oh not at all!! Why would you want JB ? I guess for Project Butter? Or perhaps Google Now ? If so read on the Change Log.

Release 2.0 Change Log -

1. Say Hello to Google Now!
    2. Welcome Project Butter! Google's Grass Roots effort geared towards smoothness and Performance. Watch this video for more.
    3. Introducing Themed Google Apps, Say Thanks for Team Blackout for the amazing Inverted Google Apps.
    4. Welcome the Xposed Framework. This opens the door wide for all kinds of mods tweaks and other goodies!
    5. Gamer Oriented Performance. Quicker Disk I/O. Other Non-Gaming users should experience grass Roots performance improvement.
    6. I am not a Graphics artist. But I have dabbled a little bit on theaming the Rom. Let me know your thoughts.
    7. Zoom partly works. The Lens button on the lower right corner of the Mini Wireless keyboard will zoom out of any scenario. Afraid I don't have a zoom in yet.
    8. Side note to introduction of Black GApps, From this release on, the Google apps are separately flashable zip. I will include only Google Play and Calendar in the Rom. Rest you can flash separately. You will notice a Team Black Updater app included.
    9. This release is powered by SuperSU. So do please stop by and say thanks to its developer @Chainfire.
    10. Please use Titanium Backup or any Root Uninstaller to remove the "Update 1.0" app. It does not play well with my code and keeps nagging about an update.

Release 1.0 Features -
    Here are some of the Salient features of this Rom

1. Tablet UI instead of stock tabbed UI.
    2. Numerous performance tweaks. Better memory management.
    3. Better Wi Fi connection speed. In my case the recorded speed over WiFi jumped from 4 to 5 MBPS to 9.5 MBPS.
    4. Better Streaming buffer. So less likelihood of Buffering while watching online video.
    5. Dolby Digital Surround Sound with Beats Audio from this thread. Only applicable if your source file is Dolby or Netflix/hulu streams Dolby. If you like this, please thank nikhilonlive.
    6. Adaway is included and programmed out of box. So even if you don't use the app, ads will be limited.
    7. CIFs Manager is included in case you need to map to some windows share or a NAS.

Download & Installation -

This release will reset your SmartStick to Factory Default and remove all existing apps. So better take a Titanium Backup if you wish to conserve.

NOTE - AMLOGIC has updated Recovery. So there will be Verification failure errors if you don't follow the instructions carefully.

There are two separate sets of instructions depending on your Current firmware on the Smartstick.

Look under Settings > About > Build.

Firmware Version 1.1.2.1 & JASS 1.0 -

If you see 1.1.2.1 as the Stock firmware, then you need to download the Full Flash firmware of Smartstick.

If you have previous version of JASS Rom, you still need to update your Recovery.

Download Link here.

Unzip the contents of the downloaded Zip file completely to the Root of your Micro SD Card or a USB Flash Drive. You will notice another zip file called update.zip. Please do not unzip it. Make sure it resides on the Root of your microsd card or USB Drive then proceed to installation.

Firmware Version 1.1.2.5 -

Your Recovery is already updated. You can go ahead and use only the Update version. Download Link here.

Do not Unzip the downloaded file. Place it on the Root of your MicroSD Card or USB Flash Drive and then proceed to installation.

Google Apps -

These are completely optional. I have included essential apps into the Rom. These are the Play Store and the Calendar.

Irrespective of either case, you can use same Google Apps zip. Download Link here. Place the Zip file

Installation -

1. Plug in the above flash ROM device to the MicroSD slot or USB port.
    2. Reboot into Recovery by either using Quick Boot App or by using a push pin.
    3. Choose apply update from the SD Card or USB Stick.
    4. For those who are coming from 1.1.2.1 version, you may see automatic update process without your input. If so, then let it complete.
    5. For everyone else, first choose the Rom Zip. Either the update.zip or the separately downloaded JASSROMv2.0 off 1.1.2.5 zip.
    6. Once the Rom has been flashed, you will be come back to the Recovery Screen. Now optionally choose the Gapps zip file. Proceed to flash
    7. Reboot & Profit !!

NOTE -
    1. Welcome Wizard does not include Logging into your Google Account. So you will have to choose Google Play Store so it will prompt you to log on the first time.
    2. First time Boot will take considerable time as Dalvik Builds for the first time. Subsequent boots will be faster.

That's it! Enjoy & have fun. Let me know if you have any issues or feedback.

Prior Release Download -
    Correct XBMC Build for Smartstick -

If your XBMC Setup is working perfectly, do not read further.

The Official Release you see on XBMC's website is compiled for Allwinner ARM Processor based devices. Our Smartstick DOES NOT HAVE that processor. That is the primary reason of some of the issues you may be facing.

Here's a short detail on one of the reason for the problems.

The Smartstick, either the 8 GB or 16 GB is powered by AMLOGIC Cortex-A9 Processor. Now the part that typically throws people off is the ARM part. Both Allwinner Technologies as well as AMLOGIC manufacture Mobile Processor that are based on ARM Architecture. Smartstick has AMLOGIC's implementation of ARM Cortex A9. The version of XBMC you can download as of 01-10-14 is for Allwinner ARM Cortex A12.

So you need to get a build of XBMC that has the AMPLYER built for the AMLOGIC's implementation of the ARM Architecture. The PIVOS XIOS device does have the same processor as the Smartstick. So XBMC build by users of PIVOS will be suited for you. You can visit their forum for the latest builds. Here's a build that has been tested and found successful. So go ahead and give this a try. It has the AMPLAYER compiled inside. As you are aware, you are welcome to use an external player as well.
    Reflashed instead, did not get the "random error #" and it works now. Thanks again.
    Best way to thank me is to press that Thanks Button on my post(s). Glad to have helped.
    Good morning, Thank you for the ROM. Is google play not working? I cannot download, update any apps from device and play online via PC does not see the device. Tried a Gapp zip update and still a nogo. Thanks for your help.

Received my SmartStick this afternoon & rooted it about an hour ago..no problems.
    I almost download the sock rooted ROM from Favi, but went with yours instead...I will say that after using the stock ROM & getting used to how everything was setup, was kinda surprised how much everything changed. Now it's just a matter of learning it all over again.
    I am working on a newer version. I have quiet the goody bag in store. So you want to finish learning in a hurry! :D
    Thanks for this! any thoughts given to Bluetooth support for USB dongles?:D
    Well, the stick does not have Bluetooth hardware antenna. So I don't know if its going to work. Having said that, when I tried a usb bluetooth stick, it seemed to work fine for me.