New to Nexus 5. From HTC one. Sad story.

Search This thread

whozilla

Mar 5, 2012
signal hill ca
Hola. I recently got mugged for my HTC one at knife point. That phone was the best phone I ever owned not just because it was obviously newer, but because it was the only phone I didn't feel like rooting. It just worked exactly how I needed it to on all levels. I could not afford another HTC one or any other device over $350.

Device history
HtcG1 black /loved it
HtcMytouch fender/ hated it
Samsung galaxy vibrant/ hated it
Lg g2x/ not bad
Htc one S grey and blue/ loved it after root
Htc one silver white./ loved it
Lg Nexus 5 black 16gb/ ????

I'm not sure how I feel about this phone yet. I'm having trouble rooting (post found in nexus 5 q&a)
The price I paid is the best part.
Current pros and con's
PROS..
4.9in 1080p display
Well built
Gorilla glass3
Snapdragons latest 800 quad
Android kit kat
First to update.
Price!!!

CONS..
Battery life stinks/ get the battery guru from snapdragon.
Screen leaks a bit.
Sound is not too good/ coming from htc one.
Google play music/opinion

Im happy I have the nexus 5. I was hoping for a community reach out. What is making your nexus work for you? Did rooting solve the it? Am I missing anything. Sell me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Andrew149

Jul 17, 2010
Modesto CA
Hola. I recently got mugged for my HTC one at knife point. That phone was the best phone I ever owned not just because it was obviously newer, but because it was the only phone I didn't feel like rooting. It just worked exactly how I needed it to on all levels. I could not afford another HTC one or any other device over $350.

Device history
HtcG1 black /loved it
HtcMytouch fender/ hated it
Samsung galaxy vibrant/ hated it
Lg g2x/ not bad
Htc one S grey and blue/ loved it after root
Htc one silver white./ loved it
Lg Nexus 5 black 16gb/ ????

I'm not sure how I feel about this phone yet. I'm having trouble rooting (post found in nexus 5 q&a)
The price I paid is the best part.
Current pros and con's
PROS..
4.9in 1080p display
Well built
Gorilla glass3
Snapdragons latest 800 quad
Android kit kat
First to update.
Price!!!

CONS..
Screen leaks a bit.

Im happy I have the nexus 5. I was hoping for a community reach out. What is making your nexus work for you? Did rooting solve the it? Am I missing anything. Sell me.

Use chain-fire to root your phone you can find it in orginal dev or you can use a toolkit.

Battery life install faux or franco kernel.

For the speaker yeah it sucks but there is a sound mod to improve it in the theme's section.

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com
CONS..
Screen leaks a bit.

dont use the snapdragon battery app. it can give you worse battery life. android learns which apps you use and which apps you dont. dont let an app like this or hibernators mess with this

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2601318

look at this for tips on battery savings

whozilla

Mar 5, 2012
signal hill ca
Hmm. I would think a battery app made specific to my processor would be a good thing. Thank. I will definitely take your advice. PS sorry for the triple post. My xda app won't let me edit or delete.

1stx2

Jun 21, 2011
Rooting/unlocking was the best thing I did. Checkout franco kernel, it will do amazing thing for your device/battery, at least it did for me. Also checkout better battery stats, it will help you keep track of rouge apps keeping your phone awake, which destroys your battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: whozilla

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Battery apps all drain your battery. Only you can make the phone use less battery. You can use them to detect other problems then disable or delete.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Hmm. I would think a battery app made specific to my processor would be a good thing. Thank. I will definitely take your advice. PS sorry for the triple post. My xda app won't let me edit or delete.

It uses location services to implement savings. Tested 3 days with slight detriment.

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

bennyreyes715

Jun 22, 2008
Virginia
A spot on quote by Simms back on the nexus 4: "A Nexus without root is like an angel without wings". Nearly all flaws can be fixed with root and tinkering (except the screen leak). Give a custom kernel a try and it'll help the battery life. There are also battery cases out if that's your thing. Sound. There are a few sound boosting mods around that'll help (even a hardware one), and from what I've read misledz is working on bringing xlouder to the nexus 5 (a must have sound mod for previous nexus devices if you're an audiophile). As for the Google play music, rooting opens you to a world of apps not normally usable by stock.

I have a HTC One GPE. Front facing speakers should be standard, but with ear buds in. Any device can sound good with tons of tinkering. Beats is beats, the sound is imitatable. I do prefer the HTC One screen and body, sure its smaller but I just see the difference side by side with the N5.

Hope this helps some.

whozilla

Mar 5, 2012
signal hill ca
This is by no means a small forum it seems. Even for a newer phone its pretty big. I already knew devs were big on nexus but dang. That's a big plus for me. Goodbye s off haha

tkoreaper

Jan 13, 2011
I came from an HTC ONE too (by choice) and the only thing I am missing is the sound (which is to be expected) and my UAG case. Those two things aside, I am happy with the phone.

oddlyshapedstickman

Aug 10, 2012
London
Also came from a HTC One, although far less eventfully than yours (I sold it :p).

Overall, for me, it's N5 > One. But the One did beat the Nexus 5 in these regards:

• Sound - Dear god is the sound so much better on the One, and for me the headphone volume output on the N5 is horribly low. I use RE-400's as my daily drivers and I couldn't feel any of the drums in my music through stock. This is helped however through installing franco.Kernel and then setting headphone gain to 1 through his franco.Kernel updater app. It makes it 100x better. Try it.
  • Display - The One probably has the best LCD screen on the market, and although the N5's is very high up there, the One is hard to beat in terms of clarity and colour reproduction. Again this can be helped using a custom kernel with the gamma exposed, and once again franco.Kernel is a good way to go.
  • Build- I love the way the N5 feels, but there is no phone I'd rather hold in my hand than the One. It really was perfection in terms of hardware design and build. The cold metal feel, especially in the morning, was incredible.

Battery life for me is better on the N5 mainly because the radios on the One never played well with my network. Overall very happy with the switch and would do it again.

mr.r9

Oct 8, 2006
Download Franco Kerenl and install Greenify from the android Market and freeze/hibernate everything except the obvious stuff (Whatsapp, alarm, launcher...)
Also, change the location services to battery saver. If you don't use LTE, put the radio to 3G. And in general, don't install unnecessary apps/games.

Reactions: Xave1

whozilla

Mar 5, 2012
signal hill ca
I hope you didn't get hurt, mate. Can't believe someone would mug you and threaten to hurt you over a phone. Sad world we live in.
Yeah dude. That was a shocker for me too. Luckily Google makes a pretty darn up to date device for a crazy low price. The one I was mugged for is now ime locked tho. So unless this guy knows his stuff he's in for a surprise

Darkendvoid88

May 31, 2011
St. Louis
Also a HTC One -> Nexus 5 user here, although I wasn't robbed, sorry to hear that man.

Battery life -> Like everyone has said before me get a custom kernel, I'm using franco with a -75 undervolt getting a full day on LTE easy.
http://imageshack.com/a/img811/7573/cz1f.png

As for the sound and build quality sure I'll miss the One's front facing speaker and that sexy all metal body but after having my N5 for almost 2 months I don't think I could switch back now. Plus now you get Tri-Band LTE :highfive:

My only real complaint with the N5 is the tiny ear piece speaker. I felt like I had more range with my One in terms of how I was holding it against my ear, with the N5 I have to have the speaker hole directly over my ear canal to hear the call, but I also have 30% hearing loss so the louder the better.

Hope you enjoy the N5 :)

whozilla

Mar 5, 2012
signal hill ca
Also a HTC One -> Nexus 5 user here, although I wasn't robbed, sorry to hear that man.

Battery life -> Like everyone has said before me get a custom kernel, I'm using franco with a -75 undervolt getting a full day on LTE easy.
http://imageshack.com/a/img811/7573/cz1f.png

As for the sound and build quality sure I'll miss the One's front facing speaker and that sexy all metal body but after having my N5 for almost 2 months I don't think I could switch back now. Plus now you get Tri-Band LTE :highfive:

My only real complaint with the N5 is the tiny ear piece speaker. I felt like I had more range with my One in terms of how I was holding it against my ear, with the N5 I have to have the speaker hole directly over my ear canal to hear the call, but I also have 30% hearing loss so the louder the better.

Hope you enjoy the N5 :)
I kinda like the ear piece but am confused by the mic. I try and use speaker phone and I'm told I sound far away. Even when I hold the phone close. The thing I really miss about the one is media. All of it. Music app. Front speakers. Camera and gallery. Flash enabled browser. I know there are fixes and 3rd party apps to fix some of this. But with the one it was natural. Other than that. I'm happy to own a device with this much support

Top Liked Posts