[Q] Cant get s-off ??

Search This thread

elvisp0129

Jul 25, 2013
Did the firewater method for S-off and it keeps saying " device has been patched by HTC, your out of luck!!!." is there any way to get by this? im new to HTC devices so im a little thrown off

Last edited:

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Did the firewater method for S-off and it keeps saying " device has been patched by HTC, your out of luck!!!." is there any way to get by this? im new to HTC devices so im a little thrown off
I believe htc patched the last update, so would need to downgrade but not sure how you can downgrade when s-on.

Reactions: elvisp0129

AGKdrOId

Sep 11, 2013
Verde Valley, AZ
Someone correct me, cause I'm sure I'm wrong, my idea can't be right because it seems too easy/logical...

If HTC is the one who patched out firewater, wouldn't the next stop on the logic train be to assume that they want you to s-off on the HTCdev site so they can note the warranty voided??

I've been s-off since before this device even hit the market locally, so firewater worked fine...I'm just throwing darts to try and help.

Thoughts?

Black Antitoon

May 3, 2008
Zurich (Switzerland)
Exactly, it's not that easy. ;) HTCDev will only let you unlock the bootloader, which is enough for many things, but is not the same as S-OFF. HTC doesn't provide any official way to the public for setting the device to S-OFF.

whocares0170

Oct 31, 2013
Someone correct me, cause I'm sure I'm wrong, my idea can't be right because it seems too easy/logical...

If HTC is the one who patched out firewater, wouldn't the next stop on the logic train be to assume that they want you to s-off on the HTCdev site so they can note the warranty voided??

I've been s-off since before this device even hit the market locally, so firewater worked fine...I'm just throwing darts to try and help.

Thoughts?
It seems that way, but I don't use logic when it comes to large corporations.

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
HTC doesn't provide any official way to the public for setting the device to S-OFF.

They should though... Why deny it just so that people go with "questionable" means to exploit a system in order to do the things they want to do with the device they paid a crap load of money for.

One would think by now that companies would realise that they'll never be "fully" in front when it comes to "battles" like these, whenever they implement a new security measure, there's already someone out there with the skills to exploit it! If they exploited it by "unofficial" means, then logically they would want to cover their tracks as well leading to a form of fraud i.e hiding flags/banners that show that you did S-OFF and Unlocked, it causes problems for other users if they were to buy a device like that(2nd hand for example) or even if you handed it in as such to HTC and they refurb and resell a device that says it's one thing where in fact it's something entirely different. :rolleyes:

Why not grant unlocked bootloader, S-OFF AND Root access on all devices and sell it as is? You can put plenty of security warnings up to warn someone about the potential danger and/or damage they can cause if they don't use it properly.

Software related issues and/or bricks can be covered seperately with warranty(perhaps a small increase in price to cover it, if it's software related, HTC can fix it easy), hardware problems on the other hand won't necessarily come about because some wanna be couldn't read a ROM installation thread properly.

It's silly if you ask me. You should be able to buy the device with the ability to have an unlocked bootloader, root access and S-OFF, out of the box! You should then be well aware that IF something happens as a result of your own negligence that you'll have to pay a bit more to get it fixed, period. There should be a warning and agreement, if you agree to those terms then you can't cry to anyone if you mess up.

But that's my opinion though.

End of rant.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
It's silly if you ask me. You should be able to buy the device with the ability to have an unlocked bootloader, root access and S-OFF, out of the box! You should then be well aware that IF something happens as a result of your own negligence that you'll have to pay a bit more to get it fixed, period. There should be a warning and agreement, if you agree to those terms then you can't cry to anyone if you mess up.

End of rant.

I agree with you - in principle. The problem is that you expect users who click that "I agree" button to actually accept responsibility for their actions if they sc*** up. And often they don't.
I have seen it again and again in the Asus Transformer forums. You can download an apk from Asus to unlock the bootloader but that app also phones home and voids your warranty (which is clearly explained in the agreement). Quite a few users who mostly didn't bother to do enough research blamed Asus for providing a tool to unlock the BL, but then refused to support them if they bricked their device. Some sent it in for warranty repair and some actually succeeded - probably because the tech did not pay attention to the unlocked bootloader - basically making Asus pay for a mistake they made. These things happen and people just tend to try to find someone to blame for their own shortcomings.
So I do understand that they make it difficult - and I do agree: They can't win this game... Someone will find a way :)

Reactions: BerndM14

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
I agree with you - in principle. The problem is that you expect users who click that "I agree" button to actually accept responsibility for their actions if they sc*** up. And often they don't.
I have seen it again and again in the Asus Transformer forums. You can download an apk from Asus to unlock the bootloader but that app also phones home and voids your warranty (which is clearly explained in the agreement). Quite a few users who mostly didn't bother to do enough research blamed Asus for providing a tool to unlock the BL, but then refused to support them if they bricked their device. Some sent it in for warranty repair and some actually succeeded - probably because the tech did not pay attention to the unlocked bootloader - basically making Asus pay for a mistake they made. These things happen and people just tend to try to find someone to blame for the own shortcomings.
So I do understand that they make it difficult - and I do agree: They can't win this game... Someone will find a way :)

Agreed. The main issue is the common person not doing research on these things and even IF they do some reading they don't even read properly. Most of the problems they encounter are self-made problems.

Perhaps giving an option in store for those things would be better then, like I said they could even "increase" the price a bit for the warranty/insurance IF you choose to go with an unlocked, rooted and S-OFF'd device...Oh well, pure speculation though, it's not like it'll ever happen.

Oh and you have an awesome name Bernd :good: :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I believe htc patched the last update, so would need to downgrade but not sure how you can downgrade when s-on.
    There is a Bounty thread for a fix. Check my signature.

End of rant.

I have seen it again and again in the Asus Transformer forums. You can download an apk from Asus to unlock the bootloader but that app also phones home and voids your warranty (which is clearly explained in the agreement). Quite a few users who mostly didn't bother to do enough research blamed Asus for providing a tool to unlock the BL, but then refused to support them if they bricked their device. Some sent it in for warranty repair and some actually succeeded - probably because the tech did not pay attention to the unlocked bootloader - basically making Asus pay for a mistake they made. These things happen and people just tend to try to find someone to blame for their own shortcomings.
    I agree! So do you! Also German immigrant? :victory:

Yes and no... :eek: Parents are Germans and came to South Africa, I was born here. :)