[Q] stock contacts: multiple linked google accounts in "Myself"

Search This thread
Dec 17, 2012
Greetings!

The "Myself" entry in my contacts has tons (could be around 20) links to the same google account (which is the only google account on the phone). This, appart from being unnecessary, slows editing the entry down to almost force-closing. Does anyone have an idea how to remove the duplicates?
Stock xperia 4.4 contacts app, in case it matters... Will gladly provide more details if you tell me what you need to know :)

Xaeons

Aug 27, 2010
Manila, PH
Greetings!

The "Myself" entry in my contacts has tons (could be around 20) links to the same google account (which is the only google account on the phone). This, appart from being unnecessary, slows editing the entry down to almost force-closing. Does anyone have an idea how to remove the duplicates?
Stock xperia 4.4 contacts app, in case it matters... Will gladly provide more details if you tell me what you need to know :)

You can merge contacts through your browser and google.com/contacts. Or you can download an app in the play store to merge the contacts (like Contact+) Personally, I prefer the former as it gives me more options to select the difference between multiple duplicate contacts and either discard or merge them. Or you can merge them in bulk without checking.

Dec 17, 2012
I'm sorry, but you seem to have misunderstood my situation. This is not multiplie contacts, but multiple associated google accounts to the same contact:
In the contacts, there's the "Myself" entry. This looks normal on first sight, but when I go to edit it, there's one tab with the contacs information that is stored on the phone, and then there is tabs with the gmail address. The problem is that there's not one, but (I recounted) more like a hundred of them, all with the same info (mail address and name). There's a button to "Unlink contact", but apparently there being so many of them, using the button and clicking "Done" is too much work for the contacts app (not responding, I gave up after "wait"ing four times).

Going through google.com/contacts does not help, as I have moved all contacts to phone storage.
Contacts Optimizer does not detect the duplicate tabs, probably because they're not seperate contacts.
I will try contacts+ as per your reccomendation, though.

EDIT: nope, contacts+ dos not even display the "Myself" entry, so no chance to edit it through that one.

Last edited:

AbandonPhuwan

Feb 6, 2011
Hi,

I'm not sure if you have already solved your problem or not, but if you haven't, clearing the data of Contacts Storage (Settings->Apps->All->Contacts Storage->Clear Data) did the trick for me.
However, if you have any other contacts that aren't linked to your Google Account, please remember to back up your contacts first! (I think the links wouldn't be backed up so your problem should not come back)

I am also using Xperia Z1 Compact. I had the same problem as well and I have been searching around until I found this thread...didn't think I'd run into someone who has exactly the same problem, not to mention the same phone model!

I hope this solves your problem, if you haven't figured this out yet, of course. ;)

Last edited: