Rooting 2.3.6 Samsung Replenish!!! Success!!!

Search This thread

4WildJokers

Mar 19, 2012
Knoxville
If you have problems with that, try using CWM to mount "/system". Some friendly people over at androidcentral pointed that out. I personally didn't have that problem, but I'm glad it's fixed.

Also, someone said something about "chmod 06755 /system/bin/su", so if you might try using that instead of "chmod 777 /system/bin/su". 777 worked for me, but maybe this works better for you.

Do these two steps and it will work. I tried it and it worked flawlessly.

seansich

May 13, 2008
I am unable to root. I am able to mount the SD card using Odin and CWM and am able to push the su file to my phone.

I have tried using both chmod commands. On both I ran "ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su" and had no success.

I keep getting permission denied after reboot. Please let me know if I need to put anything else to aid in solving this.

kc8iqw

Jun 23, 2010
Important fix----

If step 11 doesn't work, go to the "mount" menu in cwm and mount /system. Some people on androidcentral were kind enough to mention that this fixed their problem with mounting /system as rewritable

Sent from my R800at using xda app-developers app

Just as an FYI, in the version of adb I got while doing this (1.0.26), typing mount /system worked. Seems to be predefined now or possibly something related to the version of 2.3.6 on this phone.:confused:

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
I am unable to root. I am able to mount the SD card using Odin and CWM and am able to push the su file to my phone.

I have tried using both chmod commands. On both I ran "ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su" and had no success.

I keep getting permission denied after reboot. Please let me know if I need to put anything else to aid in solving this.

"ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"??? Why would you run that? Throughout the entire guide, I don't believe that I mentioned this command... All you should be doing is booting into CWM through Odin (you shouldn't need an SD card...) and then pushing/chmodding a file. The "ln -s" command isn't necessary... Just run the commands stated in the guide, with the chmod that ISNT 777 (I don't see it in front of me ATM) and you should be good.

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
I don't know if there has been an update to the firmware on the Samsung Replenish, but as of 2.3.6, this root method works.

nerys71

May 13, 2008
any chance of some help with this :)

Odin works fine. gets me into CWM

the mount -o .... command fails unless I mount /system in CWM

once I did that all the commands appear to work fine.

no errors that I can see

but here is my result

C:\>adb shell
~ # mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl12 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl12 /system
~ # exit
exit

C:\>adb push su /system/bin
176 KB/s (26324 bytes in 0.146s)

~ # chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
~ # reboot
reboot

$ su
su
Permission denied
$

the last is after the phone boots up. I tried 777 first that gave the exact same response.
suggestions?

Hmm I think I got it. it seems the adb shell - su thing just does not work

I installed super user and busy box and root checker says I am all golden. super users pops up when I installeds busybox and root checker and I hit allow and it seems to be working.

yup it appears to be rooted just fine. installed rom toolbox and am now gutting the crap out of it :)

rom toolbox REBOOTS a lot when I am uninstalling stuff.

my prevail did this a lot too anyway to stop it doing that?

Last edited:

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
any chance of some help with this :)

Odin works fine. gets me into CWM

the mount -o .... command fails unless I mount /system in CWM

once I did that all the commands appear to work fine.

no errors that I can see

but here is my result

~ # mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl12 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl12 /system
~ # exit
exit

C:\>adb push su /system/bin
176 KB/s (26324 bytes in 0.146s)

~ # chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
~ # reboot
reboot

$ su
su
Permission denied
$

the last is after the phone boots up. I tried 777 first that gave the exact same response.
suggestions?

Hmm I think I got it. it seems the adb shell - su thing just does not work

I installed super user and busy box and root checker says I am all golden. super users pops up when I installeds busybox and root checker and I hit allow and it seems to be working.

yup it appears to be rooted just fine. installed rom toolbox and am now gutting the crap out of it :)

rom toolbox REBOOTS a lot when I am uninstalling stuff.

my prevail did this a lot too anyway to stop it doing that?

Just use something else. Lol. When I need to uninstall system apps, I back them up and use "Absolute System" to uninstall them. Otherwise, I don't ever need it. You can use it to change the boot animation (MAKE A BACKUP FIRST. It might brick your phone, but CWM will still restore it, so just make sure you back it up before trying it for the first time) and make it so all apps go straight to the SD card.

creed10

Jul 23, 2012
alt link: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-guide-stock-2-3-6-replenish.html#post1651482

OPTIONAL FINISH STEP: I dont know how you install CWM permanently, but you should do this so you can make backups of your rom and store them somewhere like on a box.com or mediafire.com account if you decide to mess with something on your phone. (use hjsplit to break it into pieces for uploading and reassemble after download for flashing if its too big). to use a recovery, enter CWM (either the way i have here or if you have permanently installed, just reboot and hold "u") and navigate to "backup and restore," "restore," and select the recovery you wish to use on your sd card (make sure when you take out a backup for storage, you zip up the entire folder with the name that contains the date and time of your backup.) it will overwrite everything on your phone to be exactly like it was when you backed it up.

I know how to keep it permanently. In the Samsung Galaxy Prevail, there's a stick.zip file that makes cwm, well, stick. I'll see if I can't upload it for ya.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b65rnrnu126ttxq/stick.zip
There you go. Flash that in clockworkmod and you should be good to go.

nerys71

May 13, 2008
Confirmed. the stick.zip works. I odin'd CWM. flashed stick.zip

booted up shut down booted up holding u and CWM loaded. yeah :)

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

SO final instructions that worked for me are as follows

1. download "odin.zip" and "su" here: https://www.box.com/shared/620b03e95cc0814fefc8 and the su (no extension) file. unzip odin anywhere you wish.

copy the 3 adb files (with odin.zip) and the su file to C:\ (root)

1.5 download stick.zip and put it on your SD card

3. turn the phone OFF then hold SPACE and P and while holding those press and hold POWER holding all 3 till .the new screen appears then press VOLUME UP (as it says on the screen) and DOWNLOADING..." should appear on the screen in yellow text. leave the phone alone and plug in the USB cable.

4. run "Odin_Multi_Downloader_v4.42.exe" (you may need samsung usb drivers I already have them so not sure on this)

5. select SPHM580.ops for "OPS" and Replenish-CWM5.tar for "One Package" you may need to TICK the "one package" check box first (I needed too as it was unchecked) change nothing else.

6. hit "Start" and DO NOT REMOVE PHONE FROM USB.

7. as the phone reboots, hold "u" until CWM opens you can close odin now.

7.5 at this time you might be able to FLASH FROM SD CARD and flash the stick.zip to "stick" CWM on the phone not sure if you can do this now or wait till after you root. if it does not stick REPEAT step 4-7 after you root and then flash stick.zip when I get the next replenish I will test this and update these instructions.

8. use the volume keys to navigate to the backup (ent on the kayboard to select) and restore option and use enter to select backup. wait for it to finish completely and take you back to the the CWM main UI. backing up here creates a pure recovery, untouched by anything. CWM is NOT installed into this recovery. continue with the guide.

8.5 goto mount/system and select /system screen should change to signify this.

9. open the command prompt (type cmd.exe in search or run in the start menu, depending on your version of windows) or use some form of terminal emulator on your operating system of choice. command prompt is preferred due to the fact i know it can get the job done, but do what you will.

10. you already copied the adb and su files to C:\ so make sure your prompt says C:\ you can use the command "cd.." (no quotes) as needed till you are at c:\

11. type this in line for line, with enters in between. the blue "~#" in the later lines is the prompt you should have. do not type this. it will be in blue. (clockworkmod should still be open on your phone at this point)

I have replaced all SPACES with _ since this font makes it UNCLEAR. so wherever you see an _ you use a SPACE

adb_shell
~#mount_-o_remount,rw_-t_rfs_/dev/block/stl12_/system
~#exit
adb_push_su_/system/bin/

adb_shell
~#chmod_06755_/system/bin/su
~#reboot

once the phone reboots goto the market/play store and install super user.

THEN goto market/play store and install busy box.

Then download "Root Checker" and use it to confirm you have root.

12. if installing stick.zip did not work earlier (test by rebooting phone holding U on boot up) if no CWM then repeat steps 4-7 and flash the stick.zip now.

Done.

Last edited:

squish7793

Oct 16, 2012
User was thanked for this...

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

1. download "odin.zip" and "su" here: link. and the su (no extension) file. unzip odin anywhere you wish.

link.

3. turn the phone OFF then hold SPACE and P and while holding those press and hold POWER holding all 3 till .the new screen appears then press VOLUME UP (as it says on the screen) and DOWNLOADING..." should appear on the screen in yellow text. leave the phone alone and plug in the USB cable.

4. run "Odin_Multi_Downloader_v4.42.exe" (you may need samsung usb drivers I already have them so not sure on this)

5. select SPHM580.ops for "OPS" and Replenish-CWM5.tar for "One Package" you may need to TICK the "one package" check box first (I needed too as it was unchecked) change nothing else.

7.5 at this time you might be able to FLASH FROM SD CARD and flash the stick.zip to "stick" CWM on the phone not sure if you can do this now or wait till after you root. if it does not stick REPEAT step 4-7 after you root and then flash stick.zip when I get the next replenish I will test this and update these instructions.

8. use the volume keys to navigate to the backup (ent on the kayboard to select) and restore option and use enter to select backup. wait for it to finish completely and take you back to the the CWM main UI. backing up here creates a pure recovery, untouched by anything. CWM is NOT installed into this recovery. continue with the guide.

9. open the command prompt (type cmd.exe in search or run in the start menu, depending on your version of windows) or use some form of terminal emulator on your operating system of choice. command prompt is preferred due to the fact i know it can get the job done, but do what you will.

10. you already copied the adb and su files to C:\ so make sure your prompt says C:\ you can use the command "cd.." (no quotes) as needed till you are at c:\

11. type this in line for line, with enters in between. the blue "~#" in the later lines is the prompt you should have. do not type this. it will be in blue. (clockworkmod should still be open on your phone at this point)

I have replaced all SPACES with _ since this font makes it UNCLEAR. so wherever you see an _ you use a SPACE

adb_shell
~#exit
adb_push_su_/system/bin/

adb_shell
~#reboot

12. if installing stick.zip did not work earlier (test by rebooting phone holding U on boot up) if no CWM then repeat steps 4-7 and flash the stick.zip now.

Done.

thanked for this. Registered just to give thanks. Tried every other method there was on this page, this one got it rooted according to root checker and superuser. May continue to lurk around, reading occasionally posting.

[COLOR="Red"user was thanked for this post. You should thank him too. Especially if boost coverage SUCKS. (which it does)][/COLOR]

nerys71

May 13, 2008
I still can't uninstall bloat without crashing (hard boom black screen reboots) but at least I only have to do it once per phone :) both titanium and rom toolbox both "crash"

I was hoping RTB's batch process might work but it still crashes at some point and reboots the phone.

anyone found a tool like titanium or RTB that does not crash these when uninstalling crap? (I figure I have maybe 10 more to do)

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
I still can't uninstall bloat without crashing (hard boom black screen reboots) but at least I only have to do it once per phone :) both titanium and rom toolbox both "crash"

I was hoping RTB's batch process might work but it still crashes at some point and reboots the phone.

anyone found a tool like titanium or RTB that does not crash these when uninstalling crap? (I figure I have maybe 10 more to do)

Absolute System works. It will uninstall almost anything without any issues (long as it isn't a system app, like "phone" :p) and it has several other benefits, like the ability to force all apps that have the ability to be moved to your sd card install straight onto it (aka, a2sd) and change the boot animation (although some phones will brick if you do, requiring a CWM restore) and has a database of animations you can download in-app.

nerys71

May 13, 2008
nope. absolute system crashes it too. its something about the prevail and now replenish. you can uninstall stuff but it random hard boots when your doing it so it takes FOREVER as you wait for it to reboot so you can goto the next app to uninstall.

rockybonne

Dec 26, 2011
does this root work for Sprint

I see a few talking about boost on this thread.. will this work as a root only for sprint version of the samsung replenish??

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
nope. absolute system crashes it too. its something about the prevail and now replenish. you can uninstall stuff but it random hard boots when your doing it so it takes FOREVER as you wait for it to reboot so you can goto the next app to uninstall.

Now that is weird. Never had that issue with any phone. I uninstalled a bunch of stuff without issues like that when I was rooting my friends Replenish.

I see a few talking about boost on this thread.. will this work as a root only for sprint version of the samsung replenish??

No, silly person. :p It works for any Replenish, unless Boost mobile has decided to change it to Windows Phone 7 or some abomination of iOS, and I haven't heard of any Android changing OS like that. ^^

nerys71

May 13, 2008
I now have 6 replenish's both boost and sprint. every one does the same thing. (ever prevail I have did as well)

what I need is a stock rom I can flash. then I can just "gut" the rom first and then flash it.

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
I now have 6 replenish's both boost and sprint. every one does the same thing. (ever prevail I have did as well)

what I need is a stock rom I can flash. then I can just "gut" the rom first and then flash it.

? What you can do is take one of them and use factory reset, then turn around and make a CWM backup and try to edit the files in it

nerys71

May 13, 2008
hmmm now THAT is not a bad idea isavegas!

for some reason I did not think you could use backups on other devices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    alt link: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-guide-stock-2-3-6-replenish.html#post1651482

REVISED TUTORIAL IN ROOTING 2.3.6 SAMSUNG REPLENISH
    warning for experienced adb users!: this was made with noobs in mind. you may learn something (from me! a noob! XD) but anyways, enjoy!

this does not affect anything on the phone except for adding the ability to access root permissions. CWM is not permanent, it disappears after you use it, and nothing on the phone is affected, as far as i know, but i had just factory reset the phone, so use at your own risk...

you may need to know:
    root of a drive- drives are designated C:\ or D:\ or whatever letter in windows. Just go to "computer" and double click the first item. That location is the "root" of a drive.

Note: make sure you have at least 400 mb of memory (i know, thats alot, but just in case) on your sd card so you can back up your entire phone! i reccomend doing every optional step!!! It'll save you hassle if you have problems. If you can't make room for some reason, and you still wanna try, you should skip step 8. I don't suggest it though.

1. download "odin.zip" and "su" here: https://www.box.com/shared/620b03e95cc0814fefc8 and unzip to your desktop. if you dont have the android sdk, simply copy the "adb.exe" file from "odin.zip" to the root of your primary drive for later. Just go to "computer" and double click the top icon/item. It should say something about C:/. If you're on Mac, sorry. Idk much about it. As for Linux, I have no clue how you'd even try to do this. I love Linux but, sadly, can't experiment with this in it. WINE has its limits....... And I don't think adb or Odin would work.

2. download the "su" file and put into into "platform-tools" where you installed the android sdk, if you have it, or put onto the root of your primary drive if you havent.

3. start phone while holding "spacebar" and "p". "downloading..." should appear on the screen in yellow text

4. plug into the computer and run "Odin_Multi_Downloader_v4.42.exe"

5. select SPHM580.ops for "OPS" and Replenish-CWM5.tar for "One Package" (they should be the only options) DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!

7. as the phone reboots, hold "u" until CWM opens and set the phone down. you should close Odin now.

8. use the volume keys to navigate to the backup and restore option and use enter to select backup. wait for it to finish completely and take you back to the the CWM main UI. backing up here creates a pure recovery, untouched by anything. CWM is NOT installed into this recovery. continue with the guide.

10. navigate to the drive your sdk is on and into "platform-tools" or to the folder you put the adb.exe and su files on. the default should be [name of drive]:\Users\[username]\. use the "cd.." command til youre at the root of the drive, and if you installed the sdk, type "cd android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" or just go to the root of the drive and go to the next step if you havent. just be sure adb.exe and su are there.

adb shell
    ~#mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl12 /system
    ~#exit
    adb push su /system/bin/

adb shell
    ~#chmod 777 /system/bin/su
    ~#reboot

DO NOT CLOSE THE COMMAND PROMPT YET FOR THE SAKE OF CONVENIENCE

If you have problems with that, try using CWM to mount "/system". Some friendly people over at androidcentral pointed that out. I personally didn't have that problem, but I'm glad it's fixed.

12. when your phone has rebooted, go back to the open command prompt, which should be where it was before you typed "adb shell"

13. type "adb shell". you will see a prompt of "$." type "su." if you have a prompt of "#" rejoice! you have permanent root! now you can go on the Play Store and find "Superuser" and "Busybox" (they should be free. if you cant find it, get ahold of me and ill try to supply the newest updates) if not, and you have a backup from optional step 2, you should go through til you hit CWM and restore the backup. if not, make one now and reattempt everything aside from downloads and the moving the files around on your computer. Also, someone said something about "chmod 06755 /system/bin/su", so if you might try using that instead of "chmod 777 /system/bin/su". 777 worked for me, but maybe this works better for you.

OPTIONAL FINISH STEP: I dont know how you install CWM permanently, but you should do this so you can make backups of your rom and store them somewhere like on a box.com or mediafire.com account if you decide to mess with something on your phone. (use hjsplit to break it into pieces for uploading and reassemble after download for flashing if its too big). to use a recovery, enter CWM (either the way i have here or if you have permanently installed, just reboot and hold "u") and navigate to "backup and restore," "restore," and select the recovery you wish to use on your sd card (make sure when you take out a backup for storage, you zip up the entire folder with the name that contains the date and time of your backup.) it will overwrite everything on your phone to be exactly like it was when you backed it up.

good luck! have fun! :D

Note: if you rename the CWM backup file, make sure it DOESN'T HAVE A SPACE or it'll give you something about md5 or something not matching. If it says this, remove any spaces in the name and try again. I had it happen on my xperia play and freaked, thinking it was soft-bricked permanently one time, til I found out about cwm's glitch with that.
    Also, I uploaded pretty much everything needed for rooting the phone, with comments pertaining to each file. This includes current (as of July 31, 2012) copies of Superuser.apk, a busybox installer, and the busybox and su binaries, as well the Odin package containing the tools to temp flash CWM.

the odin.zip file and the process of achieving CWM temp-flashing was found at http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...method-samsung-replenish-android-2-3-6-a.html and credit for that part is given to joshua.worth, although I took it a different path than he did.
    Update to above info: to simplify things, I uploaded all relevant files to box so people can get them easier. The su file went missing from xda, most importantly, so I fixed that, and added an updated binary in case someone has trouble with the other one.

contact me at isavegas@live.com if you cant pm me. :)

Sorry if it takes a while to respond. Life's been kinda crazy for me lately, and I am using my new phone (no service) to do this over wifi.

1. download "odin.zip" and "su" here: https://www.box.com/shared/620b03e95cc0814fefc8 and the su (no extension) file. unzip odin anywhere you wish.

adb_shell
    ~#exit
    adb_push_su_/system/bin/

adb_shell
    ~#reboot

Done.
    ahh... well, turns out unrooting cannot be done with a CWM backup... you probably have to find a nandroid or a clean version of kernel with rom. the su file dissapears, although root is still there. ill keep playing with it, i have an idea why root stays although su disappears from the system files. anyways, i will still supply a backup thats pre-rooted for anyone who is willing to have a fresh start on their replenish. it will have superuser.apk preinstalled along with busybox, and everything else will be wiped. this will be a sprint backup, so if anyone has the boost version and is willing to back up with CWM and factory reset, then follow my guide, install busybox and superuser.apk, then back it up again, id be eternally grateful to have a copy :D

by the way, if anyone has problems with restoring a backup due to "md5" tags or whatever it is, make sure the name of the backup has no spaces. i was freaking out til i found that tip on an obscure forum (well, to me. i dont have a Motorola. lol. just a Sony Ericsson and 2 Samsungs)

update: sorry i havent uploaded the backup. i realized it would give whoever used it the number on this phone and i have to fix that. havent had time to anyways, plus it would only work on a sprint phone. it would convert any boost mobile to sprint, so thats a no-go. sorry... :(
    It should work. And Odin just flashes cwm (really fast) for the duration of the next boot cycle, which it automatically initiates, so hold the recovery button (I think it's u) as it goes into it and you'll have temp root. Make sure it's in download mode before you start. Remember, it cannot be unrooted, so if you value your warranty, plz think twice before doing it. I'm just here to supply the how-to if you decide to, not to say you have to. If you do, enjoy root access! :)
    Updated for stick.zip

Link is not working for stick.zip so i found it on another site and attached it to this post.