Using root should/must not void warranty on Smartphones

Search This thread

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
last time i checked sweden was in EU but i can see if i can get my phone which has warranty to see if they will fix it,
its rooted but the root isn't caused by rooting it (Manufucator fault) has been since we got it, but i've never heard anyone getting their phone fixed if they have root. idk i can try.

Most people don't have a clue what their rights are with stuff like this, thus the companies get away with it. Make sure you know your rights, be able to quote the law references, you will win.

Batteriah

Mar 5, 2013
Leiria
My main reason to root is to use apps that require root and to install updates. For example, my provider (TMN) is the only one that didn't updated their N7105 to 4.1.2. All the others (Vodafone, Optimus, TPH) already have 4.1.2 for a couple of months. So if I have the infamous SDS I can't fix it because they are lazy, but i can't fix it myself either because I'll lose my warranty by rooting. So if what OP says is right and it is the law, at least now I can enjoy 4.1.2 ( still a slowpoke) and not be worried that my phone dies.

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
My main reason to root is to use apps that require root and to install updates. For example, my provider (TMN) is the only one that didn't updated their N7105 to 4.1.2. All the others (Vodafone, Optimus, TPH) already have 4.1.2 for a couple of months. So if I have the infamous SDS I can't fix it because they are lazy, but i can't fix it myself either because I'll lose my warranty by rooting. So if what OP says is right and it is the law, at least now I can enjoy 4.1.2 ( still a slowpoke) and not be worried that my phone dies.

You don't need root to install another stock ROM...

muppetmania

May 22, 2012
Napier
lice.muppetz.com
Hahah.

Good luck quoting "Directive 1999/44/CE" to the person in the shop who's saying "No, this is rooted, we will not accept it for warranty".

They'll "Directive" you to the door.

makkeonmies

Mar 9, 2012
Orimattila

jura55

Nov 14, 2008
Brno
Hahah.

Good luck quoting "Directive 1999/44/CE" to the person in the shop who's saying "No, this is rooted, we will not accept it for warranty".

Ok, they can do it (not accepting warranty), but only the court can decide :) my friend is lawyer here in Czech republic (member of EU - NOT Chechnya for some stupid US people) and sometimes I had a problems with warranty in some shops, but only one letter from him to the shop....and the problem was solved :) Because if they lose litigation (court), they have to pay: court fee (1000-2000 Euro), my lawyer fee (depend on the length - 100Euro/hrs), my costs regarding this case and have to repair the phone :). But a lot of peope don't know their rights. They think if service center refuse them, it's gone.... NO, it's not...go and sue the company!

Reactions: bahtsiz_bedevi

adytum

Jul 1, 2011
^That is the exact reason why going to whoever denies your warranty with an excerpt of the law in hand will make them reconsider, as long as they understand what could potentially happen.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Kremata

Dec 26, 2011
Montreal-Shanghai
OnePlus 8T
I know this is a Android forum but I'm just curious. How come Jail Breaking an Apple iphone is still voiding their warranty? Isn't it the same thing? Rooting =Jail Breaking, no?

adytum

Jul 1, 2011
I don't know much about that, but I assume it's the same thing as rooting. Manufacturers will establish a warranty and their conditions as they like, and for some countries, that is all they get. In the EU however, law imposes conditions that every manufacturer must obey.

In other words, EU citizens have sort of two warranties to choose from.

Hopefully someone more with knowledge on jailbreaking and warranty can enlighten us more than I can.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
I know this is a Android forum but I'm just curious. How come Jail Breaking an Apple iphone is still voiding their warranty? Isn't it the same thing? Rooting =Jail Breaking, no?

In the EU, jailbreaking your iPhone is not against the law nor does it void your warranty, as mandated by the EU regulation referenced above.

In the US, jailbreaking your iPhone is illegal because Apple bought themselves a bunch of politicians and made it so.

bahtsiz_bedevi

Dec 12, 2011
-CITE-
15 USC Sec. 2304 01/15/2013

-EXPCITE-
TITLE 15 - COMMERCE AND TRADE
CHAPTER 50 - CONSUMER PRODUCT WARRANTIES

-HEAD-
Sec. 2304. Federal minimum standards for warranties
(c) Waiver of standards
The performance of the duties under subsection (a) of this
section shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that
the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer
product to conform with a written warranty, was caused by damage
(not resulting from defect or malfunction) while in the possession
of the consumer, or unreasonable use (including failure to provide
reasonable and necessary maintenance).
Source: http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C50.txt
Adam Outler's explanation for the US customers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YcIHaajda8

Reactions: Postal Psycho

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
Let me take my brothers Xcover to the reseller (it's constantly freezing and has been done so) even before rooted but I won't say it's rooted I let them in service center look at it and if they say it's not going on warranty I'm glad to get some money lol.

But it's not a law. Not every country may follow it. I know Sweeden is one of those who Suck at this.

But it gives me an idea

Sent from my official GT-I9505 powered with qualcom

In Sweden, this directive has been transposed into national law, eleven years ago, it is therefore the law, in Sweden too!!!!

See here:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:71999L0044:EN:NOT#FIELD_SE

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Today's smartphones are as good as PCs. Does using root on computers void warranty? No!
    Using root should/must not void warranty on Smartphones too.
    Does rooting your device (e.g. an Android phone) and replacing its operating system with something else void your statutory warranty, if you are a consumer?

In short:

No.
    Just the fact that you modified or changed the software of your device, is not a sufficient reason to void your statutory warranty. As long as you have bought the device as a consumer in the European Union.

A bit longer:
    Directive 1999/44/CE dictates1 that any object meeting certain criteria (incl. telephones, computers, routers etc.) that is sold to a consumer2. inside the European Union, has to carry a warranty from the seller that the device will meet the quality that you would expect for such a device for a period of 2 years.
    A telephone is an example of such a device and is an object that comprises many parts, from the case to the screen to the radio, to a mini-computer, to the battery, to the software that runs it. If any of these parts3 stop working in those 2 years, the seller has to fix or replace them. What is more these repairs should not cost the consumer a single cent — the seller has to cover the expenses (Directive 1999/44/CE, §3). If the seller has any expenses for returning it to the manufacturer, this is not your problem as a consumer.
    If your device becomes defective in the first 6 months, it is presumed that the defect was there all along, so you should not need to prove anything.
    If your device becomes defective after the first 6 months, but before 2 years run out, you are still covered. The difference is only that if the defect arises now, the seller can claim that the defect was caused by some action that was triggered by non-normal use of the device4. But in order to avoid needing to repair or replace your device, the seller has to prove that your action caused5 the defect. It is generally recognised by courts that unless there is a sign of abuse of the device, the defect is there because the device was faulty from the beginning. That is just common sense, after all.
    So, we finally come to the question of rooting, flashing and changing the software. Unless the seller can prove that modifying the software, rooting your device or flashing it with some other OS or firmware was the cause for the defect, you are still covered for defects during those 2 years. A good test to see if it is the software’s fault is to flash it back with stock firmware/OS and see if the problem persists. If it does, it is not a software-caused problem. If it is not possible to revert it stock software any more, it is also not a software-caused defect. There are very few hardware defects that are caused by software — e.g. overriding the speaker volume above the safe level could blow the speaker.
    Many manufacturers of consumer devices write into their warranties a paragraph that by changing the software or “rooting” your device, you void the warranty. You have to understand that in EU we have a “statutory warranty”, which is compulsory that the seller must offer by law (Directive 1999/44/CE, §7.1) and a “voluntary warranty” which the seller or manufacturer can, but does not need to, offer as an additional service to the consumer. Usually the “voluntary warranty” covers a longer period of time or additional accidents not covered by law6. If though the seller, the manufacturer or anyone else offers a “voluntary warranty”, he is bound to it as well!
    So, even if, by any chance your “voluntary warranty” got voided, by European law, you should still have the 2 year “compulsory warranty” as it is described in the Directive and which is the topic of this article.
    In case the seller refuses your right to repair or replace the device, you can sue him in a civil litigation and can report the incident to the national authority. In many European countries such action does not even require hiring a lawyer and is most of the time ensured by consumers associations.
    The warranty under this Directive is only applicable inside the European Union and only if you bought the device as a consumer.
    [1] EU member states must have by now imported the Directive 1999/44/CE into their national laws. So you should quote also your local law on that topic.
    [2] A consumer is a natural person who acts for their own private purposes and not as a professional. .
    [3] Batteries can be exempt of this and usually hold only 6 months warranty.
    [4] E.g. a defect power button could be caused by spreading marmalade in it or hooking it onto a robot that would continuously press the button every second 24/7 — of course that is not normal or intended use.
    [5] Note that correlation is not causation — the defect has to be proven to be caused by your action, not just correlate with it.
    [6] E.g. if a device manufacturer guarantees the phone is water- and shock-proof or a car manufacturer offers 7 years of warranty against rust.
    Source : https://fsfe.org/freesoftware/legal/flashingdevices.en.html
    Hahah.

Ok, they can do it (not accepting warranty), but only the court can decide :) my friend is lawyer here in Czech republic (member of EU - NOT Chechnya for some stupid US people) and sometimes I had a problems with warranty in some shops, but only one letter from him to the shop....and the problem was solved :) Because if they lose litigation (court), they have to pay: court fee (1000-2000 Euro), my lawyer fee (depend on the length - 100Euro/hrs), my costs regarding this case and have to repair the phone :). But a lot of peope don't know their rights. They think if service center refuse them, it's gone.... NO, it's not...go and sue the company!
    -CITE-
    15 USC Sec. 2304 01/15/2013

-EXPCITE-
    TITLE 15 - COMMERCE AND TRADE
    CHAPTER 50 - CONSUMER PRODUCT WARRANTIES

-HEAD-
    Sec. 2304. Federal minimum standards for warranties
    (c) Waiver of standards
    The performance of the duties under subsection (a) of this
    section shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that
    the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer
    product to conform with a written warranty, was caused by damage
    (not resulting from defect or malfunction) while in the possession
    of the consumer, or unreasonable use (including failure to provide
    reasonable and necessary maintenance).
    Source: http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C50.txt
    Adam Outler's explanation for the US customers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YcIHaajda8