Need to Return to stock

Search This thread

0pen

Dec 31, 2007
My htc one m8 is unable to send and receive MMS messages. I've been on the phone with tech support since this morning. I'm going to take the phone back and possibly sway it out for another one. I had unlocked the boot-loader and I had rooted the device.
Since im returning it I relocked the boot-loader but its still showing

***TAMPERED*** and ***RELOCKED*** on the boot-loader screen.

Three questions.
How do i unroot it?
Do i need to flash the a ruu file to get it back to normal? if so where can i find it.

pokedroid

Apr 21, 2010
Dude... There it's no ruu yet. The phone just launched. We me than likely won't get one until well after your return exchange period expires. I'min a similar boat as my computer refuses to fully flash twrp to mine and now I can't boot into recovery at all. I'll probably needtowait for an ruu as well. Good luck, hope you can just get the issue resolved because exvhangingwould be a bad idea with your device in its current state. Have you tried getting a new SIM card for your device? I actually work for att and more often than not a new SIM will fix a data/mms issue.

0pen

Dec 31, 2007
We tried a lot of trouble shooting. Its definitely the phone. I took the sim out the phone and popped it into my nexus 5 and I was able to send and receive MMS without an issue.
Im new to HTC and if i knew they were so high maintenance I would of never gotten it. lol
maybe if i can find the stock recovery i can reflash that and that should take care of the tampered snitch and ill just take it back with the relocked showing

pokedroid

Apr 21, 2010
generally they're not terribly high maintenance, but anything compared to a nexus is high lol. Also, had you gotten the developer version it wouldn't be high maintenance either. The maintenance comes from the carrier lock and having to bypass it. not trying to flame, but if you didn't purchase the dev edition or the GPe version then you bear the risk. Then either way, htc states that by unlocking you waive your right to your warranty. Again, not being a jerk or trying to be mean, but next time I would take at least a few hours to test basic functions before jumping into it. If you already had and it was working fine before, something must have went wrong during the unlock/root process. Either way, let's just hope an RUU drops before your R/E runs out. You'll still have your warranty but we all know the potential risks of getting a "like-new replacement".

p.s. i would still try a new sim. over time heat can wear away the laminated coating on the sim where it touches the contacts on the inside of the phone. It's an outside shot and might not help at all but it would definitely be a more feasible option to try at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0pen

jjbusa

Aug 15, 2006
i found this hope it helps.

AT&T HTC One M8 unroot utilizing SuperSU or TWRP recovery

This is the first method that you can try using SuperSU.

Open Play store to see if there is a new update for SuperSU, to make sure you are running the most recent version.
Run it from app drawer.
Go to the Settings section above, scroll down the hit Full unroot option. You’ll see a warning message, just tap continues to start the uninstall process.
Once done, the phone will reboot. Your phone should unrooted now after boots up.
at&t htc one m8 unroot
Image: HTC / AT&T
If the above method does not work to unroot AT&T HTC One M8, we are going to tell you how doing it manually.

Boot your phone to TWRP recovery mode by turn off your phone then presses Vol up + Power to boot into bootloader then choose RECOVERY. There is a more simple way, by using “adb reboot recovery”.
Once came into TWRP main menu, now tap Mount -> Mount system then taps Home.
Tap Advanced -> File Manager, browse to “/system/xbin” folder. From there delete su, daemonsu or busybox if it exists. Also browse to “/system/app” the get rid of Superuser.apk.

Reactions: Brava27 and 0pen

0pen

Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the awesome reply. I followed the info you posted and it worked!

dc41

Apr 25, 2008
My htc one m8 is unable to send and receive MMS messages. I've been on the phone with tech support since this morning. I'm going to take the phone back and possibly sway it out for another one..

I'm having problems sending MMS messages as well, but my phone is completely stock. Did you make any progress in diagnosing the problem?

Thanks

Z51

Nov 28, 2006
Mine was giving me this issue As well. Do a hard reset or check your apn settings. Mine started working after I did that

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i found this hope it helps.

AT&T HTC One M8 unroot utilizing SuperSU or TWRP recovery

This is the first method that you can try using SuperSU.

Open Play store to see if there is a new update for SuperSU, to make sure you are running the most recent version.
    Run it from app drawer.
    Go to the Settings section above, scroll down the hit Full unroot option. You’ll see a warning message, just tap continues to start the uninstall process.
    Once done, the phone will reboot. Your phone should unrooted now after boots up.
    at&t htc one m8 unroot
    Image: HTC / AT&T
    If the above method does not work to unroot AT&T HTC One M8, we are going to tell you how doing it manually.

Boot your phone to TWRP recovery mode by turn off your phone then presses Vol up + Power to boot into bootloader then choose RECOVERY. There is a more simple way, by using “adb reboot recovery”.
    Once came into TWRP main menu, now tap Mount -> Mount system then taps Home.
    Tap Advanced -> File Manager, browse to “/system/xbin” folder. From there delete su, daemonsu or busybox if it exists. Also browse to “/system/app” the get rid of Superuser.apk.
    generally they're not terribly high maintenance, but anything compared to a nexus is high lol. Also, had you gotten the developer version it wouldn't be high maintenance either. The maintenance comes from the carrier lock and having to bypass it. not trying to flame, but if you didn't purchase the dev edition or the GPe version then you bear the risk. Then either way, htc states that by unlocking you waive your right to your warranty. Again, not being a jerk or trying to be mean, but next time I would take at least a few hours to test basic functions before jumping into it. If you already had and it was working fine before, something must have went wrong during the unlock/root process. Either way, let's just hope an RUU drops before your R/E runs out. You'll still have your warranty but we all know the potential risks of getting a "like-new replacement".

p.s. i would still try a new sim. over time heat can wear away the laminated coating on the sim where it touches the contacts on the inside of the phone. It's an outside shot and might not help at all but it would definitely be a more feasible option to try at the moment.