[REF][GUIDE]CWM md5 mismatch problem solved

Search This thread

nplistener

Apr 21, 2011
md5 mismatch problem solved by a simple way

I kept getting the md5 mismatch problem no mater what I did, trying many different ways to create and verify the nandroid.md5 file.

In the end, I tumble across a Youtube video saying you only need to delete the old nandroid.md5 file create a blank one with the exact same name (using textedit or whatever method suit you) for it to work. The size of this new nandroid.md5 file should be zero since it's blank. This somehow works for me every time.

Running CWM 5.802 on Pantech Flex with CFIRv4.

aminima

Oct 8, 2010
Thanks.
I mounted USB storage through CWM, then in commandline in linux, cd to the backup folder path and finally executed this command as you said:
md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

cielke

Jun 10, 2014
@Ken-Shi_Kun Thank you so much. Registered only to hit "THANK YOU" button. Saved my backup thus warranty
:good: for the first method.
@xperia M C1905 users
you need to enter ext_card NOT sdcard - sdcard is your internal memory !

avinash@1

Aug 25, 2008
Mumbai
if you send me the 2 img files i can create an appropirate md5 image of them, but send the one you did, so I can guess what the problem is.
send them to the email of my usr here, or in pm. and mainly, the md5 image has the name "nandroid.md5" like small caption all the way, even the md5? If it is there where it must, it must work, ad absurd it will be "wrong checksum error", but that is another version.

General android section has this, I have learned this from there, but it had only 1st option, and was "discovered" when cwm had generated wrong md5s, the V, in the V the problem is a tad bit different, but the solution is the same.

Hi.. I have a problem and I am confident from your post that you can help. Please... help!

As others troubled, I too did a CWM's "ROM Manager" backup and then tried another ROM (from Shikhar, V2) some 3 months back. The ROM changed my XOLO Q800 to Nexus 4 or something. Now when tried to go back to original ROM, It is facing MD5 mismatch! I asked the developer but it seems that he does not know how to help in this.
I did try myself but all the three options above but the ADB isn't able to find my device :(
I wish if I can send you my IMG files and you kindly provide me the checksum file.

I am an idiot so far on this technology therefore request you to please let me know to send you the files, if you please agree to help me.

Looking forward friend.. :rolleyes:

Ken-Shi_Kun

Oct 15, 2010
Százhalombatta
Hi.. I have a problem and I am confident from your post that you can help. Please... help!

As others troubled, I too did a CWM's "ROM Manager" backup and then tried another ROM (from Shikhar, V2) some 3 months back. The ROM changed my XOLO Q800 to Nexus 4 or something. Now when tried to go back to original ROM, It is facing MD5 mismatch! I asked the developer but it seems that he does not know how to help in this.
I did try myself but all the three options above but the ADB isn't able to find my device :(
I wish if I can send you my IMG files and you kindly provide me the checksum file.

I am an idiot so far on this technology therefore request you to please let me know to send you the files, if you please agree to help me.

Don't know if I can help you with anything, but as far as cwm backup correction I can help you. If you can upload somehow (prefferred the whole cwm backup, because it can differ from cwm version also) the backup I can look into it. I can send you a drive link to upload and then download the corrected backup if it is good for you. (of course in PM)

avinash@1

Aug 25, 2008
Mumbai

Hi, here is a good news and (still) a bad news.

Good Part ------ I could solve the checksum problem just by deleting old nandroid.md5 and creating another blank file (same named) at the same location. i.e. Replacing the existing file with a blank one.

Bad Part ------ The backup I was depending upon isn't of the Xolo ROM. And Xolo's Original-ROM-Zip is still not working when tried in CWM.

Any suggestions! Please.....................

Looking forward....

Last edited:

Ken-Shi_Kun

Oct 15, 2010
Százhalombatta
Hi, here is a good news and (still) a bad news.

Good Part ------ I could solve the checksum problem just by deleting old nandroid.md5 and creating another blank file (same named) at the same location. i.e. Replacing the existing file with a blank one.

Bad Part ------ The backup I was depending upon isn't of the Xolo ROM. And Xolo's Original-ROM-Zip is still not working when tried in CWM.

Any suggestions! Please.....................

Looking forward....

Of course the backup zips win't work if the phone is recognized as an other type of phone. For this I don't really know how to help you. I don't really know the Xolo-s (must say I don't know how the work) but I can get as much information that they uses MediaTek cpu-s so flashing won't be that easy. There is a download tool for MTK based devices, if you have your stock rom's images, the necessary partition allocating txt, and know how to do it, it can transfer your phone back how it was, and then root->backup. But I don't really know anything about MTK flash utility.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, many of you probably faced the issue, when you tried to restore your CWM backup, that the recovery says MD5 mistmach, and will do nothing. The problem is now solved, and was solved, so I'm not the one, who made thing possible, I'm just porting this to the V.

So, the problem (in my iterations at least) are based on the /cache/ cannot be mounted error, which is common in the V. For why is that, I simply don't have a clue, but it is present. Because of this, the backup won't be full, and thus, the md5 image won't be made for the recovery, so cannot be recovered as is.

But happily you can make an md5 image from the backup yourself, and thus recover your backup.

WARNING!

I'm no dev, just someone, that knows linux.
    If you follow this path, you do it on your own. I'm not responsible for bricked devices, lost data or whatsoever, including the future the past and the present.​

There are three ways for you, to make an md5 sum of the img files, the good and the bad one and also the quoted one:

One (the good)

For this, you will need adb, root, and a working android. Yo don't have it? Here you go.

Go to the directory, were you have adb (or have extracted adb.exe, suggested c:\htc\), then plug in your phone (just for charge, no data connection), open terminal (syntax: cmd) then type in:

adb shell

this will get you to the phone's terminal
    if you have # at the end of the line, you are good to go, if not, then type su

The syntaxes needed:

cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/{recovery_timestamped_directory} <- this is from your backup, so you need to fill in appropirate data
    md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

This will make an md5 image with the name that cwm acknowledges.

Two (the bad one)

So, you'we fired your ROM, cannot even boot, but cwm comes in. Than this is for you. There are programs (e.g. total commander) which can make md5 images. So if you have your backup folder, just go into it (sd card reader is preferred). You will see something like this in it:

.android_secure.vfat.tar
    boot.img
    data.ext4.tar
    {nandroid.md5}
    recovery.img
    system.ext4.tar

sidenote:
    If you have the nandroid.md5 and you cannot recover, don't try to recover from it!!!
    The image itself is corrup, you have no luck, try RUU. (you can recover if you delete the md5 and create a new, but it is not really recommended)

So, there are 2 .img files, highlight them in totalcommander. go to file->create checksum files

tick in md5, then ok

No, you're not done :)
    open the md5 file in text editor, and remove the * 's from before the file names.

Rename the file to nandroid.md5

Now you're done, go to cwm, then recover.

Three (the quoted one)
    Also on the 2nd page you will find an alternative solution for the problem which can help you if you have got busybox installed on your device.
    The solution resembles the One type of fix, so with quotes here's the one (thanx for Meeshka for it).

For those who keep getting "md5sum not found" both in adb and in android terminql on device:
    try instead
    # busybox md5sum *img > nandroid.md5
    worked for me :)

If I helped, don't hesitate to push the Thanks button.
    md5 mismatch problem solved by a simple way

I kept getting the md5 mismatch problem no mater what I did, trying many different ways to create and verify the nandroid.md5 file.

In the end, I tumble across a Youtube video saying you only need to delete the old nandroid.md5 file create a blank one with the exact same name (using textedit or whatever method suit you) for it to work. The size of this new nandroid.md5 file should be zero since it's blank. This somehow works for me every time.

Running CWM 5.802 on Pantech Flex with CFIRv4.
    Put this in the general android section as it works across most devices. ..

Sent from my One V
    in 3. it says to remove the * *'s, but i don't see any, so i was wondering should i leave that be or if im doing something wrong.

I have done the thing with a legacy tcmd, so there is a probability, that they have modified the md5sum algorithm, so if you don't se the stars don't panic. (also it should do the trick even with stars in the file, but wanted to be sure at the time I wrote the post)