KFHD System.img Recovery Tool

Search This thread

drr00t

Jul 15, 2010
Brasília - DF
Hi,

I loose my root one day after restore with this method like Onemelia sad..., so i had ti root with another method and all works greate again. I can't wait ti have cyanogenmod

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using xda premium

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
I'm trying this tool from my mac running VMware. I enable fastboot then select my option 2 and itsays waiting for device. any hints?
adb devices shows the kindle connected. I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Since this is just a front end for fastboot can I just execute the fastboot command from my terminal on my mac?
I don't see the kindle reboot to a bootloader mode so I don't know if it has to or not.
Thanks for answering my stupid questions.

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
I'm trying this tool from my mac running VMware. I enable fastboot then select my option 2 and itsays waiting for device. any hints?
adb devices shows the kindle connected. I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Since this is just a front end for fastboot can I just execute the fastboot command from my terminal on my mac?
I don't see the kindle reboot to a bootloader mode so I don't know if it has to or not.
Thanks for answering my stupid questions.

Yeah all this script does is run a couple simple fastboot and adb commands. If you don't see big blue letters that say fastboot then it's not there. With the device powered down leave it unplugged, run the fastboot command or option from tool then plug it into pc\mac

Reactions: gunnyman

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
Onemeilia:
would you be able to post an unmodified system image for restore back to stock?
Is it already there and I'm missing something?

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Onemeilia:

There is no way to make a system.img backup without being rooted. If you use the option with su binary/superuser.apk only, it is as close to stock as you can get. To get to completely stock you would just need to move superuser.apk from system/app folder to data/app folder, then go to system/xbin folder and delete the su files. After this do a factory reset and you'll be back to stock.

FroyoShark

Sep 12, 2011
Minnesota
youtube.com
This isn't working anymore... I tried on 2 computers, one of them on Linux and Windows 7, the other on just Windows 7. My device always boots into recovery, I can't get it into fastboot.

mmesh

Sep 6, 2007
Hi!

Just one quick question...

With this tool I can revert my KFHD 8.9 to system image with su installed?
So if I try CM10 from the other thread and after I decide to return to the stock ROM I can do that with this tool?

mmesh

Sep 6, 2007
Yes

Sent from my KFJWI

Great!

Is there any notification that should be displaying on the console after I click one of two restore options? Because there is not any in my case...
When I click the first option the tablet goes to fastboot mode, but if I click 2nd or 3rd option nothing displays...

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Great!

Is there any notification that should be displaying on the console after I click one of two restore options? Because there is not any in my case...
When I click the first option the tablet goes to fastboot mode, but if I click 2nd or 3rd option nothing displays...

It says nothing or "waiting for device"

Poke851Le

Aug 23, 2012
My kindle is brick for installing process of cm10.1. so i enter the fastboot mode and use this tool .

but after restore su & reboot , amazon logo (yellow colored kindle fire) appear and stopped

how do i fix it? please help me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS NOT A CUSTOM RECOVERY!!!
    KINDLE FIRE HD 8.9 ONLY!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

This is an update to the KFHD_SRTool, now for use with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9
    This is ONLY for use with 8.9" models, not for use with 7" unless you replace system.img with your own backup.
    A factory cable is not needed to enable fastboot on this model. Even if the device is in a loop and ADB can not recognize it. I have personally put my device in a loop to confirm it works. To enable fastboot use option 1 from the tool

Instructions:
    1. Download and unzip the tool of your choice from the link below (I have confirmed you can downgrade from 8.1.4 to 8.1.3)
    2. Run SR Tool

That's it, wait for the tool to finish. Be patient this can take a few minutes. To exit fastboot use option 6 or hold down the power button for 10-20 seconds. When you reboot the first time it may seem to loop once but this is normal and will boot up. Once again be patient, especially if you chose to erase cache and userdata. The system needs to rebuild those partitions. Hope this helps some of you in the community. Again sorry for the size of the download, this is why I made this a separate tool instead of combining it with the HD7 version.

Downloads:
    KFHD_SRTv2.1- 8.1.4
    KFHD_SRTv2.0- 8.1.3
    KFHD_SRTv1.3- 8.1.2

UPDATES:
    12-24-12
    System v8.1.4
    12-12-12:
    System backup from v8.1.3 KFHD_SRTool_v2.0
    Option menu has changed
    New options: Install of GoogleServicesFramework.apk, enable fastboot with device powered on or off.
    Option 4 removed due to new option of enable fastboot

DOWNGRADE:
    I no longer own this device so I cannot make backups of newer system versions, for the time being here are instructions for downgrading to 8.1.4:
    1.) Download boot and recovery imgs(these are backups from 8.1.4) from this LINK and place in the folder where you have access to fastboot or inside the KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 folder
    2.) Use KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 to flash system.img.
    3.) Erase userdata and cache
    4.) Open a cmd prompt from the folder where you placed the previously downloaded .img's.
    Use these cmds:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.img
    5- Reboot.

Thanks to mdblaze for bringing to my attention that a factory cable is not needed with this device
    Again Thanks to kinfauns for the how to on backing up and restoring system software.
    Onemeilia:

There is no way to make a system.img backup without being rooted. If you use the option with su binary/superuser.apk only, it is as close to stock as you can get. To get to completely stock you would just need to move superuser.apk from system/app folder to data/app folder, then go to system/xbin folder and delete the su files. After this do a factory reset and you'll be back to stock.
    Thank you for adding the 8.9 to your tool onemeila. I appreciate the work you've done.

I can confirm this does work to fix an hd stuck on the kindle fire logo. Thanks again.
    I'm caught in the same issue, and like an idiot, I didn't back up my recovery, is there anyway I can get back to it? can someone else just back up their recovery and I could flash that?

Yes you should be able to flash the stock recovery and boot.img's from anyone. Heres a link for those from 8.1.4:
    https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4lZEJI5lYeMckl3aGZlY05VTWs/edit?usp=sharing
    Is this one version 8.1.2 or 8.1.3?
    Need a rootable.

The backup was done right out of the box after root, so it would be as close to factory as possible. It should be 8.1.2, but 8.1.3 is rootable also. I lost root after the update and was still able to root.