KFHD System.img Recovery Tool

Search This thread

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Ok so I finally procured a fastboot cable. What is the procedure for booting into fastboot now? I was under the impression it would just happen when I plugged in but it hasn't

If the Kindle is powered off and you plug the fastboot cord in and the tablet does not energize and the screen say fastboot, then there is a problem with your fastboot cord or you have a hard brick.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cheif_of_smoke

Dec 27, 2009
so i made a system, boot, and recovery img. i bricked my kindle hd 8.9. entered fastboot and put all 3 imgs back on. when it rebooted it was if i had a brand new out of the box kindle. had to set every thing up again. all my apps were gone except super user. i checked to see if i still had root. had to download a different root checker since the one i had was gone. i still have root. now did i miss some thing since i did a backup of all 3 files and unbricked it with those 3 files and still lost all my apps and what not. i did make another img call boot0block.img. does that one need to go back on in order to get all my app data back? or should i cut my loses and just continue on with puting twrp and 2nd bootloader on to the kindle? i just know my son is going to be upset that all his games are gone. thanks.

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
so i made a system, boot, and recovery img. i bricked my kindle hd 8.9. entered fastboot and put all 3 imgs back on. when it rebooted it was if i had a brand new out of the box kindle. had to set every thing up again. all my apps were gone except super user. i checked to see if i still had root. had to download a different root checker since the one i had was gone. i still have root. now did i miss some thing since i did a backup of all 3 files and unbricked it with those 3 files and still lost all my apps and what not. i did make another img call boot0block.img. does that one need to go back on in order to get all my app data back? or should i cut my loses and just continue on with puting twrp and 2nd bootloader on to the kindle? i just know my son is going to be upset that all his games are gone. thanks.
Once application data is wiped in the way that you did it`s irrecoverable unless perhaps you have a twrp backup with this app data in it. 2nd bootloader and twrp are required to restore this data if in fact such a backup still exists. Very likely unless you backed up such details to your pc all is lost.

cheif_of_smoke

Dec 27, 2009
[QUOTEOnce application data is wiped in the way that you did it`s irrecoverable unless perhaps you have a twrp backup with this app data in it. 2nd bootloader and twrp are required to restore this data if in fact such a backup still exists. Very likely unless you backed up such details to your pc all is lost. ][/QUOTE]

well i guess that is life. nothing to important was on it. it did have twrp on it at one time but was unrooted due to system update. thanks. at least it still work.

Kagari_

Mar 11, 2014
Hi.
When I open the tool and select option, the cmd window stops responding. I've rebooted my computer many times, but still the same result. Nothing shows up in the window apart from the menu and the option I selected.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Is there a download link that works plz?! stuck on loading screen and loops but i can still get into recovery

PLEASE update download

8.1.4 goes to a file that looks download-able. If you can still boot into TWRP then you can just download the ROM you want to flash, boot into TWRP and adb sideload it. Beats flashing to factory.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

vIgGeN7

Sep 19, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
8.1.4 goes to a file that looks download-able. If you can still boot into TWRP then you can just download the ROM you want to flash, boot into TWRP and adb sideload it. Beats flashing to factory.

I am unable to boot into TWRP anymore I flashed a bootloader and recovery listed there without doing the flash ... bassicaly i was unable to flash CWM and was looping back into TWRP so i went into fast-boot flashed those. now i cannot get into TWRP or Fastboot // i haven't been able to load the device and now i am only seeing the device for 3 seconds on device manager as it loads up then boot loops twice then goes to stock recovery in which it does nothing. just reload and then goes back into 2 bootloops then recover again.

So im stuck I need to recover this device. I did not take backups like a nub and flashed those damb bootloaders and recovery..

The main thing is i was on 8.2.8 and should of downgraded to 8.1.4 is what i have been reading to convert the KF to an android OS.

Any help would be great. thanks again for the quick reply!

EDIT: When i tried to flash CWM's latest version on KF 8.9 HD forums it kept failing. did not work.

Last edited:

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
I am unable to boot into TWRP anymore I flashed a bootloader and recovery listed there without doing the flash ... bassicaly i was unable to flash CWM and was looping back into TWRP so i went into fast-boot flashed those. now i cannot get into TWRP or Fastboot // i haven't been able to load the device and now i am only seeing the device for 3 seconds on device manager as it loads up then boot loops twice then goes to stock recovery in which it does nothing. just reload and then goes back into 2 bootloops then recover again.

So im stuck I need to recover this device. I did not take backups like a nub and flashed those damb bootloaders and recovery..

The main thing is i was on 8.2.8 and should of downgraded to 8.1.4 is what i have been reading to convert the KF to an android OS.

Any help would be great. thanks again for the quick reply!

EDIT: When i tried to flash CWM's latest version on KF 8.9 HD forums it kept failing. did not work.

Yea, your gonna have to update that driver in device manager very quick. If your wanting to go custom ROM then I'd just follow Hashcode tutorial. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175

vIgGeN7

Sep 19, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Yea, your gonna have to update that driver in device manager very quick. If your wanting to go custom ROM then I'd just follow Hashcode tutorial. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175

Well when i plug it in it comes up as KINDLE FIRE - KINDLE FIRE ADB in device manager. Problem is communicating with the devices.. even spamming ADB cmd i am not able to have any type of device response. I have not tried Fastboot cmd's as i thought was only available in the fast-boot mode.

ya any help would be great. Need to fix this brick :( or no sex for weeks.. lol

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Also do you have a download link to fix someone needs to mirror that google link. Dont work

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Also do you have a download link to fix someone needs to mirror that google link. Dont work

I don't have those images but I think Hashcode has them on his goo profile. You have to have a fastboot cord to get into the bootloader and thats the only way to put a 2nd bootloader/custom ROM/TWRP on Kindles. This also includes a factory reset. You can not do this through ADB.

vIgGeN7

Sep 19, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I don't have those images but I think Hashcode has them on his goo profile. You have to have a fastboot cord to get into the bootloader and thats the only way to put a 2nd bootloader/custom ROM/TWRP on Kindles. This also includes a factory reset. You can not do this through ADB.

so should i buy one on EBAY? I assume once i have that it will load right to fastboot even though it is boot looping? as for the drivers will i need them for the 8.9 knidle fire HD?

is the stock cable not fastboot?

Thanks for your help. I was looking for that img no luck however so still stumped on that one. Do u have a link im sure others would love it too.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
so should i buy one on EBAY? I assume once i have that it will load right to fastboot even though it is boot looping? as for the drivers will i need them for the 8.9 knidle fire HD?

is the stock cable not fastboot?

Thanks for your help. I was looking for that img no luck however so still stumped on that one. Do u have a link im sure others would love it too.

Sorry, you have an 8.9 and thus don't need a fastboot cord. Just use your standard USB cord. You still must set the environment so watch the video I linked. You can copy/paste your path so I can see if it looks right. Here are the commands from Hashcodes tutorial.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175

Q: How do I know if my fastboot works?
A: With the Kindle powered down, type the following command into a cmd/terminal window on your PC (should return with: < waiting for device> ):
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

Then connect USB to the Kindle and reboot. It *SHOULD* show a Fastboot screen and your terminal window should show something like:
product: Jem-PVT-Prod-04

Type this to reboot out of fastboot mode:
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

Edit: Here is the SDK video tutorial in case I did not link you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNM-lt_aHw

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

I know this seems like an intimidating ordeal all these commands and what not. I'll keep an eye out and answer questions you may have. It's a great feeling to restore with commands manually for the first time (if this is your first time.)

Last edited:

vIgGeN7

Sep 19, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Sorry, you have an 8.9 and thus don't need a fastboot cord. Just use your standard USB cord. You still must set the environment so watch the video I linked. You can copy/paste your path so I can see if it looks right. Here are the commands from Hashcodes tutorial.

A: With the Kindle powered down, type the following command into a cmd/terminal window on your PC (should return with: < waiting for device> ):

Then connect USB to the Kindle and reboot. It *SHOULD* show a Fastboot screen and your terminal window should show something like:

Edit: Here is the SDK video tutorial in case I did not link you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNM-lt_aHw

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

I know this seems like an intimidating ordeal all these commands and what not. I'll keep an eye out and answer questions you may have. It's a great feeling to restore with commands manually for the first time (if this is your first time.)

Great thanks for your help i will try this as soon as I am off work.

Few more questions while I have you here once I get my kindle to fire back up how do i go about making sure its on the right OS for me to convert to Android?

WIll i have to reroot? setup recovery? Why was CM not able to load once i had it booted in twrp.. (also it would not load the OS after the fastboot cmds in the whole process)

just trying to figure out were i went wrong so i dont make this mistake again and spend hours pulling my hair out. lol

I hate the kindle OS and only reason i got it was because i wanted to put android on it and the g/f love the thing at first site?

again thank you so much for your help.. Gotta love this xda community! 100% support!

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Few more questions while I have you here once I get my kindle to fire back up how do i go about making sure its on the right OS for me to convert to Android?

Anything you do to your tablet must be for a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" with will be refereed to it's code name "Jem." The tutorial I listed is just to get a 2nd bootloader with TWRP recovery on your tablet. Then you decide which ROM is best for you. Forum rules specify not to "recommend" as it can cause issues. So I always say what I used was CyanogenMod (CM) and Paranoid Android and actually I've tested about all of them. Hashcodes KitKat 4.4 is stable and located here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2543481 and the list for all 8.9 Jem ROM's are here http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hd/8-9-development read the first couple and last couple pages (at least) to get a grasp of any possible issues with the ROM.

WIll i have to reroot?

No

That tutorial will show how to install TWRP again

Why was CM not able to load once i had it booted in twrp..

I don't know, it should have. Things can go wrong when modding.

I just remembered that there is another recovery tool kit that has worked great. Kindle Fire FirstAide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888 I used that one a lot. You would restore to factory, root and then you could use the tutorial above to get TWRP and second bootloader. In fact I would recommend that since you already modded it once. The KFFA tool will have the images.You will see once you get started.

vIgGeN7

Sep 19, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I don't know, it should have. Things can go wrong when modding.

I just remembered that there is another recovery tool kit that has worked great. Kindle Fire FirstAide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888 I used that one a lot. You would restore to factory, root and then you could use the tutorial above to get TWRP and second bootloader. In fact I would recommend that since you already modded it once. The KFFA tool will have the images.You will see once you get started.

Ya so i got that program and im having issue with is whenever i try to EXE a CMD it always says "Directory Path not found" before it asks y/n for whatever i was trying to do. was strange so i was not able to use any features on that as my kindle did not respond to "rooting" with that.

Is there a certin folder i should put this so it will work? I put it right on my c:\(folder name)

Dose the version of my stock kindle fire matter when it comes to choosing a custom android rom

Thanks

vIgGeN7

Sep 19, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra

This fixed my problem! Thank you so much. I however can never get mount to work in TWRP (on any device lol) so i used ADB PUSH cmd to the /SDCARD/ ... Pushed both cm and gapps and then followed from the step 5 fastboot cmds to install bootloader and recovery ... then in twrp installled!

Thanks again for all your help with getting my device to fastboot!

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
This fixed my problem! Thank you so much. I however can never get mount to work in TWRP (on any device lol) so i used ADB PUSH cmd to the /SDCARD/ ... Pushed both cm and gapps and then followed from the step 5 fastboot cmds to install bootloader and recovery ... then in twrp installled!

Thanks again for all your help with getting my device to fastboot!

You're welcome, good to hear. Just got your pm too and then saw this.

captainreynolds

Mar 7, 2011
Hey, I am in the process of restoring my kindle to stock, and have flashed the system.img and the recover/boot images from the OP. However, when I try to boot, a screen shows up and says "Your Kindle doesn't seem to boot properly - resetting it to factory default might fix the issue."

It gives me the option to reboot normally, or factory reset. Neither of these options makes the screen go away. I can access fastboot but rebooting options there and reflashing the images has not helped.

Any ideas as to how I can fix this problem?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS NOT A CUSTOM RECOVERY!!!
    KINDLE FIRE HD 8.9 ONLY!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

This is an update to the KFHD_SRTool, now for use with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9
    This is ONLY for use with 8.9" models, not for use with 7" unless you replace system.img with your own backup.
    A factory cable is not needed to enable fastboot on this model. Even if the device is in a loop and ADB can not recognize it. I have personally put my device in a loop to confirm it works. To enable fastboot use option 1 from the tool

Instructions:
    1. Download and unzip the tool of your choice from the link below (I have confirmed you can downgrade from 8.1.4 to 8.1.3)
    2. Run SR Tool

That's it, wait for the tool to finish. Be patient this can take a few minutes. To exit fastboot use option 6 or hold down the power button for 10-20 seconds. When you reboot the first time it may seem to loop once but this is normal and will boot up. Once again be patient, especially if you chose to erase cache and userdata. The system needs to rebuild those partitions. Hope this helps some of you in the community. Again sorry for the size of the download, this is why I made this a separate tool instead of combining it with the HD7 version.

Downloads:
    KFHD_SRTv2.1- 8.1.4
    KFHD_SRTv2.0- 8.1.3
    KFHD_SRTv1.3- 8.1.2

UPDATES:
    12-24-12
    System v8.1.4
    12-12-12:
    System backup from v8.1.3 KFHD_SRTool_v2.0
    Option menu has changed
    New options: Install of GoogleServicesFramework.apk, enable fastboot with device powered on or off.
    Option 4 removed due to new option of enable fastboot

DOWNGRADE:
    I no longer own this device so I cannot make backups of newer system versions, for the time being here are instructions for downgrading to 8.1.4:
    1.) Download boot and recovery imgs(these are backups from 8.1.4) from this LINK and place in the folder where you have access to fastboot or inside the KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 folder
    2.) Use KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 to flash system.img.
    3.) Erase userdata and cache
    4.) Open a cmd prompt from the folder where you placed the previously downloaded .img's.
    Use these cmds:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.img
    5- Reboot.

Thanks to mdblaze for bringing to my attention that a factory cable is not needed with this device
    Again Thanks to kinfauns for the how to on backing up and restoring system software.
    Onemeilia:
    would you be able to post an unmodified system image for restore back to stock?
    Is it already there and I'm missing something?

There is no way to make a system.img backup without being rooted. If you use the option with su binary/superuser.apk only, it is as close to stock as you can get. To get to completely stock you would just need to move superuser.apk from system/app folder to data/app folder, then go to system/xbin folder and delete the su files. After this do a factory reset and you'll be back to stock.
    Thank you for adding the 8.9 to your tool onemeila. I appreciate the work you've done.

I can confirm this does work to fix an hd stuck on the kindle fire logo. Thanks again.
    I'm caught in the same issue, and like an idiot, I didn't back up my recovery, is there anyway I can get back to it? can someone else just back up their recovery and I could flash that?

Yes you should be able to flash the stock recovery and boot.img's from anyone. Heres a link for those from 8.1.4:
    https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4lZEJI5lYeMckl3aGZlY05VTWs/edit?usp=sharing
    Is this one version 8.1.2 or 8.1.3?
    Need a rootable.

The backup was done right out of the box after root, so it would be as close to factory as possible. It should be 8.1.2, but 8.1.3 is rootable also. I lost root after the update and was still able to root.