GPS fix for Captivate- Share experience

Search This thread

dougng

May 7, 2008
Hi all,
I found out that Captivate has GPS chip problem when it is COLD.
If you can warm it up it will work fine.
You can try it in warm environment.
While it is working, try to turn on AC in your car to cool it down and you will see it say GPS signal lost.
Turn off the AC and turn on the Heater to warm it up, GPS signal will be OK.

Good luck.

ashok.antony

Nov 29, 2011
San Rafael, CA
Interesting. Thanks for the tip. Will try it out in my friends cappy. He has issues with his GPS but mine has always been fine. Never had a problem even once.:)

knighted4

Dec 19, 2010
I installed effingps.zip and went from no signal to 7-9 satelite locks in 10 seconds INDOORS.

great fix

knighted4

topiratiko

Dec 22, 2010
Well....i get a lock now!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Captivate on Blue Apex

zinkoxyde

Dec 2, 2010
Temperature doesn't seem to affect mine. And no 'fix' has ever worked for me.
I don't care how long it takes to lock as long as it doesn't drift.

I did notice though, that the time is off by 24 hours when I do get a lock (according to GPS Test and GPS Status).

When I connect to my external Bluetooth receiver it is spot on.
Has anyone else had this experience? My guess is that the firmware is returning the wrong time, and that is making the positioning calculations impossible.

grndnl

Jun 11, 2011
can someone explain why temperature would effect the GPS in any way? thanks..

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
When I connect to my external Bluetooth receiver it is spot on.
Has anyone else had this experience?

Not sure if you mean time, or GPS being spot on. I haven't paid any attention to time when using GPS. But I have an external one, and it works MUCH BETTER, pretty much what I would call spot on.

However, the last couple times I"ve used it my phone has locked up. I am thinking it is the BT program I am using in order to use the external GPS. What blue tooth program are you using?

zinkoxyde

Dec 2, 2010
Not sure if you mean time, or GPS being spot on. I haven't paid any attention to time when using GPS. But I have an external one, and it works MUCH BETTER, pretty much what I would call spot on.

However, the last couple times I"ve used it my phone has locked up. I am thinking it is the BT program I am using in order to use the external GPS. What blue tooth program are you using?

Both the time and the GPS location are correct when I use an external BT receiver (Delorme BT-20), but the time is exactly 24 hours off. That could definitely cause drift after initial lock (not to mention cause problems locking in the first place).

I use "Bluetooth GPS Mouse" by Argotronic. There is also a problem with the Captivate's Bluetooth implementation from what I've read. My bluetooth headphones, gps and obd-ii car scanner tool tend to lock up my handset from time to time. It seems to have a problem with sustained serial data communications over bluetooth.

Bluetooth GPS Mouse seems to be pretty stable as opposed to the other BT programs I've used, I guess you get what you pay for. It's a real hassle to drag around two devices on the off chance of needing directions.

I seem to remember stock AT&T Eclair being pretty good with GPS.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

can someone explain why temperature would effect the GPS in any way? thanks..

Some electronic components are sensitive to temperature. Temperature changes conductive properties, among other things (for example, metal expands when heated). Heat dissipation could also be a factor. Electronic boards can warp, components can separate from the board or the solder can crack. More likely in this case, it just looks like it's working. I've seen tons of people claiming different things have fixed the GPS. Until I can get a lock in standalone mode, and keep it, I'm not calling it fixed. :p

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Seems I wasn't crazy about the time thing, but apparently it has only manifested since 2012 rolled around:

code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail? id=24000

This article is about the Tab, but it looks like it is across the board.

kb9nvh

Dec 1, 2007
expansion and contraction of metals possibly fouling the antenna connection is the only real thing I can think of. Anyway, for me there never was a real fix. moving to GB really helped but not enough to make the GPS really reliable. I finally got a replacement phone moving to a build 1101 and that has a pretty good gps that is useable in most circumstances and probably as good as a phone without dedicated antenna can get. Captivates all should have been recalled due to bad gps hardware in my opinion..of course that would have cost samsung a fortune. The phone is great otherwise.

Hm i never really thought temperature could affect the gps chip, might have to do some testing.