A harsh reminder of why I abandoned Samsung years ago...

Search This thread

StNickZA

Dec 1, 2009
Auckland
My wife recently upgraded her phone contract to get the new Galaxy S5, and for a relatively small cost extra, they threw in the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition LTE (SM-P605) which I quickly claimed for myself. :)

However, it was not long before I was reminded why I abandoned Samsung devices years ago in favour of the Nexus range. The first thing I did when I got home was check for a software update. Nothing at all. Very disappointing for two reasons.

1.) It was still running a 4.3 build from August 2013.
2.) There was no multi-user support; something I was relying on so that my wife and I could share the tablet. This was especially strange considering this feature is available in vanilla 4.3.

So after some searching, I was briefly excited to see that the Kitkat update for the 2014 Edition had landed mere days ago. I began scouring the Internet... Turns out, this update is only for the SM-P600!!! ARGH!

A bit more scouring... Verizon have the tablet on their network right? And they are LTE... And I read something about a Kitkat update for their device! Nooooope! That devices is the SM-P605V.

So here I sit, back in the Samsung camp, completely at the mercy of their erratic update-rollout schedules whilst all of their other tablets EXCEPT mine are enjoying the Kitkat goodness.

God only knows when or if I'll even see a 4.4 update on this device - I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: I'm starting to wonder where I could flash the SM-605V ROM on my device. Seems like the only difference is the LTE band support. I only use Wifi at the moment, so if the worst that can happen is that I lose mobile data, I'd be okay with that.

Last edited:

jankko

Oct 21, 2010
Yes, that is Samsung for you. It feels very annoying but the feeling is soon forgotten after the update is finally released (at least that's the way it went with the old Note). I am also eagerly waiting for Kitkat for my SM-P605..

As it is now, there really is no alternative for Note 2014 edition if you want an Android tablet with high end specs and also want to draw with the tablet. If Google released a 10 inch Nexus tablet with Wacom pen I would probably buy that instead.

Reactions: StNickZA

cdinoz

Jul 13, 2010
Sydney
My wife recently upgraded her phone contract to get the new Galaxy S5, and for a relatively small cost extra, they threw in the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition LTE (SM-P605) which I quickly claimed for myself. :)

However, it was not long before I was reminded why I abandoned Samsung devices years ago in favour of the Nexus range. The first thing I did when I got home was check for a software update. Nothing at all. Very disappointing for two reasons.

2.) There was no multi-user support; something I was relying on so that my wife and I could share the tablet. This was especially strange considering this feature is available in vanilla 4.3.

So after some searching, I was briefly excited to see that the Kitkat update for the 2014 Edition had landed mere days ago. I began scouring the Internet... Turns out, this update is only for the SM-P600!!! ARGH!

A bit more scouring... Verizon have the tablet on their network right? And they are LTE... And I read something about a Kitkat update for their device! Nooooope! That devices is the SM-P605V.

So here I sit, back in the Samsung camp, completely at the mercy of their erratic update-rollout schedules whilst all of their other tablets EXCEPT mine are enjoying the Kitkat goodness.

God only knows when or if I'll even see a 4.4 update on this device - I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: I'm starting to wonder where I could flash the SM-605V ROM on my device. Seems like the only difference is the LTE band support. I only use Wifi at the moment, so if the worst that can happen is that I lose mobile data, I'd be okay with that.

Wait..... so your wife upgraded her phone - and they gave you a Note 10.1 2014 LTE for a small cost.... and now you are having a whinge?

Perhaps you could have gone out and bought a 4.4 loaded KitKat tablet instead?

Yes, you will see KK on the device, in the not too distant future.. Its been released on the Verizon version, so the rest of us are not too far behind. And no, as I understand it, the 605v version rom will not boot on the standard 605 device.

If you needed KK for multi-user, perhaps you should have bought a Nexus 7?

In actual fact, the most recent versions of p605 roms (stock) are from November 2013. What build number is the device reporting?

Last edited:
Reactions: s44

StNickZA

Dec 1, 2009
Auckland
Wait..... so your wife upgraded her phone - and they gave you a Note 10.1 2014 LTE for a small cost.... and now you are having a whinge?

Perhaps you could have gone out and bought a 4.4 loaded KitKat tablet instead?

Yes, you will see KK on the device, in the not too distant future.. Its been released on the Verizon version, so the rest of us are not too far behind. And no, as I understand it, the 605v version rom will not boot on the standard 605 device.

If you needed KK for multi-user, perhaps you should have bought a Nexus 7?

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I didn't "go out and buy a 4.4 tablet" is because I wasn't actually in the market for a tablet at all, least of all a 7 incher. When we walked into the store, I had no idea I'd be walking out with a tablet; it was an impulse purchase. By getting it alongside my wife's new phone, the tablet basically cost about half of what it would have if I'd bought it cash, so it was a bit of a no-brainer. I made the mistake of ASSUMING that a premium tablet with such impressive hardware specs would have already been updated to Kitkat, and at the very least, include multi-user support. This is the crux of my argument really; when you have been using something like a Nexus for so long, you forget how things lag behind in the world of Samsung.

But lets just put things into perspective for a second... Yes, I am upset that there's no Kitkat ROM yet for this device, when other models (of the SAME device) already have it. It is frustrating. Does that mean I am about to throw it in the bin? Of course not. There's nothing wrong with "having a whinge" about Samsung's policies. I'm certainly not the first to do so. It doesn't mean I think that the tablet is junk, or that I regret buying it. On the contrary, I'm still very impressed and happy with the purchase, and I'm hopeful that Samsung will bring out the Kitkat update sooner rather than later, but the lack of reliable information or time-frames is certainly annoying.

And thank you for the heads-up re. the SM-605V ROM; probably best to scratch that idea.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
So you buy your devices solely to update them? I've been using the N10.1-14 since October when it came out and have been quite happy with it. 4.4 introduces some improvements I'm looking forward to but it's not like they're required to make the N10.1-14 work. The only thing in your post that seems like a real requirement for you is multi user. So either put it on a shelf and wait for 4.4 or use it yourself until the update comes. I'm not defending Samsung's update process; it's cumbersome and slow. But it's not like their products are unusable or cow dung simply because updates bring a smattering of new features. And updates to Android aren't always beneficial. Google totally borked external SD card access in 4.4 to the point people are staying on or reverting to 4.3.

Reactions: Geordie Affy

kempas

Aug 12, 2008
You bought a device you had no prior intention of doing so on a whim at a reduced price and are upset because the latest updates are not currently available to you...? 1st world problems are terrible ain't they...

You bought it as it is, it works 100% as intended. You have no legal right and should have no expectations to any sort of updates - stop whinging and worry about real issues in the world instead.

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
@kempas well said sir. Honestly what is up with people it's just an update it makes it look better and makes it faster and blah blah it doesnt exactly change it into a flying machine.

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.

Reactions: BarryH_GEG

StNickZA

Dec 1, 2009
Auckland
As I said, I don't want the KitKat update to "make it look pretty or go faster". I want multi-user accounts which is core functionality that was introduced in Android 4.2. It is not unreasonable to expect that it is available in a premium tablet running Android 4.3.

wayned182

Aug 12, 2008
I'm pretty surprised by the direction this thread took...

It seemed to be a pretty reasonable post with concerns and questions about the ROM, posted here in a ROM community, and the response has pretty much been "Shut up and stop whinging"

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
1st world problems are terrible ain't they...

[MENTION=1141807]blah it doesnt exactly change it into a flying machine.

Made me laugh. :)

I'm not. 4.4 started rolling out 10 days ago. The SM-P600 owners in Colombia, the U.S., and Canada that won the "got it first" lottery are ecstatic. Everyone else is pissed, envious, and impatient. Posting their dissatisfaction here isn't going to get them their update any faster and no one here can help them. Logically, Samsung would roll out a few regions and watch the feedback to make sure there wasn't anything they missed in testing that needed correction before the global roll out began in earnest. From past experience, it can take two months for the majority of Samsung devices to receive an update once it begins rolling out. Does that mean we need to endure two months of "where's my update?" and "Samsung sucks!" threads from the unfortunate at the latter end of the roll out?

dkb218

Apr 16, 2006
Bronx by way of Brooklyn
This really has nothing to do with Samsung. The updates for LTE models are usually sent to their providers before the wifi only updates are pushed [hence the reason Verizon already has it]. It's up to your LTE provider to issue the update.

Same with Nexus. A Nexus device purchased directly from Google will get an update before one purchased from Sprint or T-Mobile.

KoryandR

Nov 1, 2009
This really has nothing to do with Samsung. The updates for LTE models are usually sent to their providers before the wifi only updates are pushed [hence the reason Verizon already has it]. It's up to your LTE provider to issue the update.

Same with Nexus. A Nexus device purchased directly from Google will get an update before one purchased from Sprint or T-Mobile.

AFAIK in Spain all P605 are unlocked, no LTE provider sell them.

Enviado desde mi SM-P605 mediante Tapatalk

poplectic

Jun 16, 2011
South Shields
I don't know why people are getting on the ops back about it. He's absolutely right. Yeah the device still works but it is annoying that you see Ipads and Nexus devices getting timely updates. The most annoying thing about it all is that I can say as a long time Samsung customer that yes its because of the number of devices but mostly it's because they don't care as much about their customers once they've paid for a device.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager

Reactions: Zerreth

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I don't know why people are getting on the ops back about it. He's absolutely right. Yeah the device still works but it is annoying that you see Ipads and Nexus devices getting timely updates. The most annoying thing about it all is that I can say as a long time Samsung customer that yes its because of the number of devices but mostly it's because they don't care as much about their customers once they've paid for a device.

You kind of hit the nail on the head. People for whom updates are a critical feature shouldn't buy Samsung products. The sheer scale of the number of devices they offer, types of devices (Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G), and overly complex system of different s/w by region makes them notoriously slow at updates. Knowing that I buy their products anyway because I like the quantity and quality of their unique features; most of which aren't available elsewhere. Am I happy about it? No. Did I expect it? Yes. Do I think *****ing about it is going to help? No. Want fast updates? Buy a Nexus or GPe device. It's that simple.

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
For the life of me I don't understand people that realize that they made a poor personal choice and then want to tell the world how bad of a decision they made. Is this just a way to get sympathy? I see it as a way to publicize poor decision making skills.

tmord1

May 24, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra

I am not sure if this will help you, op. Please do not flame me if it doesn't, but I came across and thought it would be useful...if you have rooted your device:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52430137
Never mind, didn't realize you were author of this post too-my bad, sorry

Last edited:
Reactions: droisntns

StNickZA

Dec 1, 2009
Auckland
For the life of me I don't understand people that realize that they made a poor personal choice and then want to tell the world how bad of a decision they made. Is this just a way to get sympathy? I see it as a way to publicize poor decision making skills.

Bwah! I've successfully managed to avoid replying to the majority of these idiotic comments, but this is probably the most hilarious case of the pot calling the kettle black that I've ever seen and I just could not resist.

The very first post of yours that I find is one in which you are bemoaning a bad decision you made. Even the title itself describes your regret over the decision.

Behold : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2729705

Seriously, thank you. :laugh:

Reactions: cpsycrow

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Bwah! I've successfully managed to avoid replying to the majority of these idiotic comments, but this is probably the most hilarious case of the pot calling the kettle black that I've ever seen and I just could not resist.

The very first post of yours that I find is one in which you are bemoaning a bad decision you made. Even the title itself describes your regret over the decision.

On that subject, what did you hope starting this thread would accomplish? And what's the value you see to the XDA community we're all part of?

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011

Touche'

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just flash the Hongkong ROM for a decent 4.3 update.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I did this last night and it definitely feels snappier in general use. Coupled with the fact that I can now enable multi user, I am definitely happier than I was yesterday.

However, it just highlights the point that I made originally. Its not just about the KitKat update; it is about ALL of Samsung's updates. Why is it that here in my country, the LATEST ROM available officially, is five months older than the one being used in Hong Kong. Unless you're prepared to manually update via ODIN (and most aren't), then you're stuck with an inferior product until Samsung decide to get around to bringing you up to speed. This is just unacceptable. Samsung make some great devices, the 10.1-14 being one of them. But you're only fooling yourself if you think that they can't do better when it comes to software updates.

Essentially, Person A can buy a product in Europe, and Person B can buy the SAME product in Hong Kong and get a superior experience because of Samsung's archaic update policies. The software is there, it works - as proven by countless users brave enough to circumvent Kies! But Samsung won't give it to us. To those people that are posting here and saying that this is OKAY, frankly, you deserve the level of support you're getting.

You kind of hit the nail on the head. People for whom updates are a critical feature shouldn't buy Samsung products. The sheer scale of the number of devices they offer, types of devices (Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G), and overly complex system of different s/w by region makes them notoriously slow at updates. Knowing that I buy their products anyway because I like the quantity and quality of their unique features; most of which aren't available elsewhere. Am I happy about it? No. Did I expect it? Yes. Do I think *****ing about it is going to help? No. Want fast updates? Buy a Nexus or GPe device. It's that simple.
    You bought a device you had no prior intention of doing so on a whim at a reduced price and are upset because the latest updates are not currently available to you...? 1st world problems are terrible ain't they...

You bought it as it is, it works 100% as intended. You have no legal right and should have no expectations to any sort of updates - stop whinging and worry about real issues in the world instead.
    The thing i find funny is the people that scream for updates are the people who take them the instant they are available then find that they have bugs and then scream how can i go back to whatever the prior version of the software was. The one they are told you can not downgrade they start screaming and demanding people on XDA , namely the devs, to fix the issues immediately. Seasoned Android users know to never take a OTA until it's been deemed safe and no major bugs unless you're willing to take the chance and are helping the community.

So to scream about updates not releasing in a timely manner is moronic knowing that only nexus devices or Google play editions are the only ones that get the updates the quickest.

The original poster probably doesn't doesn't even realize the issues that kk has brought to a lot of devices. And you need root to fix them. And if he had root he can just put a ported 4.4 Rom on his device.

It seemed to be a pretty reasonable post with concerns and questions about the ROM, posted here in a ROM community, and the response has pretty much been "Shut up and stop whinging"