My attempt to kill the softkeys

Search This thread

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
Maybe someone who knows a bit more or notices something I did not can help... I was looking in literally every folder for the file that controls the soft keys. This is a script I wrote up that *should* disable them but they turn off and come back on when you tap them.

#!/system/bin/sh
chown root /sys/devices/virtual/sec/t_key/brightness
chmod 0777 /sys/devices/virtual/sec/t_key/brightness
echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/sec/t_key/brightness
chmod 0555 /sys/devices/virtual/sec/t_key/brightness

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Blankrubber

pvtjoker42

Dec 12, 2008
have you checked into the rom control toggle that disables the softkeys? even though it doesn't work on every theme/framework it seems, it might get you in the right direction?

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Hahaha well your a recognized developer go ask an Elite Recognized Developer :p

You can't ask us scrubs here :).

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
Hahaha well your a recognized developer go ask an Elite Recognized Developer :p

You can't ask us scrubs here :).

I *could* just disable them in the kernel but still, it is not a good option if people want to toggle them on any rom.

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
I set tasker to run this command for literally everything lol

Constantly run when keyboard is not out

:)

Last edited:

thomasskull666

Sep 24, 2010
St. Louis
I like this thread :)

I think that short of disabling them in the kernel there isn't a way, I tried looking through other places in hopes to figure it out but to no avail either.

b16flybye

Sep 4, 2011
Twin Cities
I am ALL for the kernel disabling the soft keys and if need be, the keyboard backlight. After two years of fondling this phone, I know her every curve.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

b16flybye

Sep 4, 2011
Twin Cities
Marcus, if you can just disable them completely, this would be the first and ONLY option for the 80% of us who want those battery draining LED's gone for good.

b16flybye

Sep 4, 2011
Twin Cities
Well, for battery life freaks like myself, I'm sure I would notice a gain if there were no lights activated.

xopher.hunter

Mar 21, 2011
Ventura
The moment always had kernels that came in LEDon and LEDoff versions, however the moment had a white background on its cap. buttons. I would love thhis for the epic as well

Sent from my Nexus Slide 4G

dohturdima

Jan 6, 2011
I hate these bright soft keys with a passion. If there was a way to completely disable them by tweaking the kernel I would be all for it.

Alexdi

Jan 30, 2011
FYI, with CM9, the Screen Filter app disables the soft keys. They'll turn back on if you touch them, but you can start and use an e-reader indefinitely without doing that. The app also works as a widget, so if you touch the soft keys accidentally, a quick double tap of the widget will turn them back off.

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
FYI, with CM9, the Screen Filter app disables the soft keys. They'll turn back on if you touch them, but you can start and use an e-reader indefinitely without doing that. The app also works as a widget, so if you touch the soft keys accidentally, a quick double tap of the widget will turn them back off.
You can also make tasker run the echo 0 part of the script I wrote every time you hold the search button or open the launcher/book app.

Reactions: xbzz

AproSamurai

Jul 4, 2010
Van Nuys, CA
github.com
From a linux based standpoint there is only one legitimate option. That is to run your script and then wear gloves which hamper the output of static electricity from your fingertips, so that you can surgically apply DUCT(or your preferred brand/type) TAPE over said lights without them turning on, in which case your script works, and peoples woes go away. :)

Trololol.

matrixzone5

Jan 12, 2011
landing
i agree

I agree on disabling them in the kernel for good i personally think this phone looks sexier with the lights off (no pun intended =P)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am making this post in resonse to a request to see if this phone will boot okay with the capacitive button unplugged. Im happy to report that it does and works flawlessly im currently running aokp *not this does not only turn off the "lights" it completly disables the buttons.
    Im going to upload a video soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXNJOXTgbJU
    I'd still want to see it

~E.R.A.

I tell u want tomorrow I gotta take my phone apart to mod the back plate of my screen to get rid of the giggly screen disorder (check my thread for instruction will link later if u guys want) ill record it and see if it boots it prolly will I don't see why not.

Id say for those of us who plan on keeping our epics for the next couple years, this should be a focused topic. Either disabled, or controlled, I know for sure something can be done with them. I'm going to start tackling this tomorrow. School always takes up my time :/

It'd be pretty sweet to be able to disable the lights, as long as they are still usable.. I've had this phone long enough to know where the buttons are. :)
    From a linux based standpoint there is only one legitimate option. That is to run your script and then wear gloves which hamper the output of static electricity from your fingertips, so that you can surgically apply DUCT(or your preferred brand/type) TAPE over said lights without them turning on, in which case your script works, and peoples woes go away. :)

Trololol.