[Q] Schould i buy a LG G3? Ooooorrr note 3

Search This thread

willemhouterman

Mar 31, 2012
Hello,

Im really excited about G3 and i want to buy one with my new contract. But i really hate what im reading about the lag/stutters and the heating battery.
So should i buy one or go for the note 3.

I hope you can advice me.

BreakingVZW

Jul 7, 2012
Carmel
Hello,

Im really excited about G3 and i want to buy one with my new contract. But i really hate what im reading about the lag/stutters and the heating battery.
So should i buy one or go for the note 3.

I hope you can advice me.

I'm kind of in the same boat. One of my employees got the G3 (I currently have the G2 and love it but I'm cursed bc my brain thinks I always have to have latest awesome sauce phone. ugh) and his battery life has been horrendous. I'm talking half of what the G2 can do. I know that QHD display will chew battery and all but that seems overly ridiculous. In the span of an hour he went from 100% to 82%. I checked his device for every possible thing that could be causing it and found nothing abnormal. His android system usage is at a constant 47%. I went through apps he didn't use and disabled what I could (he's not rooted. Doesn't really know much about android but I converted him with my constant iPhone bashing =D) without Titanium Backup and from what I can tell it just seems like the stock software of the G3 really isn't optimized all that well for performance v battery life. Nowhere near what the G2 accomplished. It's disappointing bc the device looks amazing but if the phone drains that rapidly for seemingly no reason I am going to hold off until they hopefully release a software update to fix the drain. It may very well be he got unlucky and got a lemon battery or it could be LG didn't put a large enough battery in the device (only 200 mAh larger than the G2) to handle that screen. I'm kind of leery of the device now. I am waiting to see more user reviews of the device. A lot of review from tech sites keep saying the battery life is good but not great. I don't consider a device barely making it through an entire work day with limited use good.

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
I'm kind of in the same boat. One of my employees got the G3 (I currently have the G2 and love it but I'm cursed bc my brain thinks I always have to have latest awesome sauce phone. ugh) and his battery life has been horrendous. I'm talking half of what the G2 can do. I know that QHD display will chew battery and all but that seems overly ridiculous. In the span of an hour he went from 100% to 82%. I checked his device for every possible thing that could be causing it and found nothing abnormal. His android system usage is at a constant 47%. I went through apps he didn't use and disabled what I could (he's not rooted. Doesn't really know much about android but I converted him with my constant iPhone bashing =D) without Titanium Backup and from what I can tell it just seems like the stock software of the G3 really isn't optimized all that well for performance v battery life. Nowhere near what the G2 accomplished. It's disappointing bc the device looks amazing but if the phone drains that rapidly for seemingly no reason I am going to hold off until they hopefully release a software update to fix the drain. It may very well be he got unlucky and got a lemon battery or it could be LG didn't put a large enough battery in the device (only 200 mAh larger than the G2) to handle that screen. I'm kind of leery of the device now. I am waiting to see more user reviews of the device. A lot of review from tech sites keep saying the battery life is good but not great. I don't consider a device barely making it through an entire work day with limited use good.
If his android system is using that much battery there's something turned on that shouldn't be. I highly doubt an OEM would go backwards in terms of optimization. Android system could be a number of things like WiFi scanning always on or location reporting on high accuracy.

BreakingVZW

Jul 7, 2012
Carmel
If his android system is using that much battery there's something turned on that shouldn't be. I highly doubt an OEM would go backwards in terms of optimization. Android system could be a number of things like WiFi scanning always on or location reporting on high accuracy.
Im aware the device shouldnt be throwing those system totals out but it is. Ive checked everything and compared his G3 settings to my G2 (running Optimus G3) and changed literally everything to my setup. Didnt make a difference. Its weird man. Ive never seen system usage like that and then havent be able to find the culprit.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
I had a note 3 and the G3 was a big upgrade. Is much better and for me the battery life is better. The UI is much better looking and there is less lg bloat in the system then tw has. My wife's s5 has a baby monitor progress running stock. Who needs this? It's just dumb little things like that that bother me about tw.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: willemhouterman

J_Dutch

May 8, 2012
Zaltbommel
I wouldn't mind the heating or lag, the random shutdown on the other hand is really something to be aware of. Happened twice to me this day...:-\

willemhouterman

Mar 31, 2012
I had a note 3 and the G3 was a big upgrade. Is much better and for me the battery life is better. The UI is much better looking and there is less lg bloat in the system then tw has. My wife's s5 has a baby monitor progress running stock. Who needs this? It's just dumb little things like that that bother me about tw.

Thnx!
This schould do it for me. I hope LG is coming with a big update before the end of August and fix the lag and battery issues.
Can't wait to get the device :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeyhdownsouth

Apr 1, 2009
Creole State
Thnx!
This schould do it for me. I hope LG is coming with a big update before the end of August and fix the lag and battery issues.

I've had the G3 since it was released, get almost 2 days or more battery after disabling a bunch of apps, till they get root for the Sprint variant.

Sent from my LG G3

Reactions: willemhouterman

SomeGuyDude

Jun 7, 2010
Just FWIW, you can't judge battery life on an occasional dip in the percentage. The battery meter isn't perfect. You'll find tons of people finding that the percentage sits at 100% for an hour and then drops quickly after that. The battery didn't simply not drain for an hour and then start draining quickly, it's the software trying to approximate. Go from full charge to near dead and see what happens.

jasvncnt1

Dec 8, 2011
Union NJ
I get great battery life. Only issue I have is the camera. Pics just don't seem that great.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

willemhouterman

Mar 31, 2012
Im used to a iPhone 4 with 5MP so i don't think its going to be worse then the LG G3 camera :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have both. Selling my Note 3 :)

Thnx!

I've had the G3 since it was released, get almost 2 days or more battery after disabling a bunch of apps, till they get root for the Sprint variant.

Sent from my LG G3