HEY!The 13/14.3.3.2 is rooted

Search This thread

heliosol

Jun 14, 2014
Hit a little (or big?) issue myself: tried to edit build.prop, no go - got access denied error. Figured I'll give Kindle a reboot, but now it's stuck. It shows the grey Kindle logo and then the screen goes dark (although slightly backlit) and just sits there. Any thoughts? Maybe build.prop got goofed up somehow and that's causing the booting issue?
Clarification: when I was messing around with build.prop I changed it's permission to writable (by all), so maybe that is what's causing the trouble. If I reboot my Kindle with USB attached, it says something about not finding MTP drivers.

Last edited:

dimi5

May 12, 2014
Win8.1

Does anybody have the problem during installing Romaster_3.4.3.7593_Setup.exe, that the something with rootres.dll goes wrong? Since after ignoring this problem, the root method doesn't work with my hdx, e.g. an app is installed and shows green. However, the root processes terminates with an error :(

My enviroment:
Kindle HDX 8.9, 14.3.2.3.2
Win 8.1 64 bit, installed hdx driver, working adb
Romaster_3.4.3.7593_Setup.exe

wave_sailor

Sep 1, 2010
I am not 100% sure I am rooted. I used romaster_3.4.3......exe. It did reboot a couple times. SuperSU stated it needing updates so I did that. my build.prop shows -rw in ES File Explorer. SuperSU does load, but beyond that I am just not sure.

Oddly during the reboot it seemed like I got updated on top of this...showing 14.3.2.3.2_user_323001720 now.

heliosol

Jun 14, 2014
I fixed my own problem. Here's how I did it, in case anyone else encounters it.

1. I used Romaster tool to root originally, and so I figured I'd play with it some more. I started it with Kindle attached and stuck black-screen and it offered to install some drivers. I accepted and it put in a Romaster ADB driver (visible under Android heading in Device manager). However, that driver wasn't useful to me so...
2. I went back to my Android SDK folder and found that in extras\google folder there is a generic ADB driver from Google. I uninstalled and deleted my Romaster ADB driver, rebooted windows, and when it came back up, it showed a device under Android heading with a yellow triangle. I selected my 'All devices' and then 'have disk' and pointed towards that google folder and chose that ADB driver.
3. It installed and then I was able to run adb commands from the sdk (i.e. in the platform-tools folder). Namely, I needed to do adb devices to double-check - and it showed my Kindle. Then, adb shell, su, and chmod on the build.prop to get it back to proper permissions. This has already been mentioned in other places so I won't repeat it here.
4. Then, a manual reboot by holding down the power button and I was back in business!

The point of the story is if you goofed up like me and can only get the grey Kindle logo and then blank screen, you can recover by using the above steps. No need to return your Kindle to Amazon or anything like that. Hope that helps!

Hit a little (or big?) issue myself: tried to edit build.prop, no go - got access denied error. Figured I'll give Kindle a reboot, but now it's stuck. It shows the grey Kindle logo and then the screen goes dark (although slightly backlit) and just sits there. Any thoughts? Maybe build.prop got goofed up somehow and that's causing the booting issue?
Clarification: when I was messing around with build.prop I changed it's permission to writable (by all), so maybe that is what's causing the trouble. If I reboot my Kindle with USB attached, it says something about not finding MTP drivers.

Reactions: jimyv

tuilakhang

Mar 21, 2014
help brick

My kindle now is bricked... I try to follow GSLEON3 in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588608&page=8, but can't find my hdx in adb cmd, it said 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I google it but can't fix it , I try many times, and many ways but it's not work
Pls help me
Sorry for my bad English

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana

hhcat

Dec 30, 2011
I confirmed this news from the forum called "BAIDU", a china forum.

The method of root is to use the app called "root master". ( w w w .mgyun.com/)

It really works!

I post some screenshot as evidence.

" imgur.com/qALTGzN " this is my kindle version

" imgur.com/Qe9nZoh " you can see i can access the system folder

hi, did you use pc version to root? I downloaded the android version on that website, but did not succeed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This looks like V-root and v-root did not work for me before, I dont know if I would trust this, I will not be trying it until I know exactly what exploit it is
    using to root, because I have tryed many. They would of needed to find a completely new exploit..
    Here are the steps that worked for me (thanks goes to jimyv)

1. Make sure you got ADB drivers working (i.e. Kindle Fire shows up properly in Device manager) and your ADB mode is turned on the Kindle
    2. Download Rommaster (not vroot or anything else, use this one): Romaster_3.4.3.7593_Setup
    3. Connect your Kindle, run the Rommaster - this will install and run the program
    4. Ignore prompts for updates.
    5. Click on Gear icon on top right of the screen
    6. Click ROOT icon on the second row of the screen (one with an Anchor icon)
    7. Let the program do its thing, including rebooting your Kindle. It should not prompt you to restore anything
    8. It will install some crap on your Kindle
    9. It might reboot your Kindle a few times
    10. Finally, it will say ROOTing successful or some such. Double check with Super SU or File Explorer -> Root Explorer option or whatever else
    11. Follow the steps in the other thread to downgrade and clean up
    I confirmed this news from the forum called "BAIDU", a china forum.

The method of root is to use the app called "root master". ( w w w .mgyun.com/)

It really works!

I post some screenshot as evidence.

" imgur.com/qALTGzN " this is my kindle version

" imgur.com/Qe9nZoh " you can see i can access the system folder
    ok

Same problem as me, what system version are you on?

Read this post but not the ones before or after it? You have the wrong tool...: ( the right tools will not have your tablet do some restore bs...and are u using a proper usb cord with adb debug on on tab. With adb drivers installed from HDX utility. ?.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

] QUOTE=sherry478;53400229]Can someone tell me how to use Vroot? i everytime i click restore my data and next on vroot it does nothing and says root failed.
    And read post just before yours.http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2782159 it's a fairly short thread and it has all been within the last day read OP read OP then read op again so as to not posiblely hard brick ur tab[/QUOTE]

Here are the steps that worked for me (thanks goes to jimyv)

1. Make sure you got ADB drivers working (i.e. Kindle Fire shows up properly in Device manager) and your ADB mode is turned on the Kindle
    2. Download Rommaster (not vroot or anything else, use this one): Romaster_3.4.3.7593_Setup
    3. Connect your Kindle, run the Rommaster - this will install and run the program
    4. Ignore prompts for updates.
    5. Click on Gear icon on top right of the screen
    6. Click ROOT icon on the second row of the screen (one with an Anchor icon)
    7. Let the program do its thing, including rebooting your Kindle. It should not prompt you to restore anything
    8. It will install some crap on your Kindle
    9. It might reboot your Kindle a few times
    10. Finally, it will say ROOTing successful or some such. Double check with Super SU or File Explorer -> Root Explorer option or whatever else
    11. Follow the steps in the other thread to downgrade and clean up

Same problem as me, what system version are you on?
    I fixed my own problem. Here's how I did it, in case anyone else encounters it.

1. I used Romaster tool to root originally, and so I figured I'd play with it some more. I started it with Kindle attached and stuck black-screen and it offered to install some drivers. I accepted and it put in a Romaster ADB driver (visible under Android heading in Device manager). However, that driver wasn't useful to me so...
    2. I went back to my Android SDK folder and found that in extras\google folder there is a generic ADB driver from Google. I uninstalled and deleted my Romaster ADB driver, rebooted windows, and when it came back up, it showed a device under Android heading with a yellow triangle. I selected my 'All devices' and then 'have disk' and pointed towards that google folder and chose that ADB driver.
    3. It installed and then I was able to run adb commands from the sdk (i.e. in the platform-tools folder). Namely, I needed to do adb devices to double-check - and it showed my Kindle. Then, adb shell, su, and chmod on the build.prop to get it back to proper permissions. This has already been mentioned in other places so I won't repeat it here.
    4. Then, a manual reboot by holding down the power button and I was back in business!

The point of the story is if you goofed up like me and can only get the grey Kindle logo and then blank screen, you can recover by using the above steps. No need to return your Kindle to Amazon or anything like that. Hope that helps!