Help an Android user with 8.1 upgrade difficulties

Search This thread

HD2FORNICK

Mar 14, 2011
I am creating this thread out of frustration in not being able to perform what seems like a simple OTA update to Windows 8.1 on my Lumia 810. I have used Android all throughout and am an expert when it comes to rooting and installing customs roms so I am thoroughly aware of things I need to do before I get 8.1. I have been able to get 8.1 succesfully on the 928 and the 521 so I have Preview for Developers installed on my phone. I have used the Nokia Recovery Tool to reinstall the OS and even managed to get through to the two updates prior to installing 8.1 where it gives me the message how I'll love 8.1.

This is where I am stuck. I get messages from "unable to download" or "Downloaded but cannot install" dumba$$ MS messages. I have tried 6 different wifis, turned the clock back, forward, region changes, lnguage pack changes, blah and blah. Nothing effin works!

Finally, I am concluding this is a space allocation issue. When I go into storage check, it shows more than 4 GB available but how do I give more space to system? I tried file manager/explorer but nothing works. I am 100% positive that the moment I give more space in the system folder I should be golden. I have tried removing apps, etc. but I don't think this affects system storage space. I have been trying this for the past 10 days but not going anywhere.
Thanks!

jaythang

Mar 23, 2011
I am creating this thread out of frustration in not being able to perform what seems like a simple OTA update to Windows 8.1 on my Lumia 810. I have used Android all throughout and am an expert when it comes to rooting and installing customs roms so I am thoroughly aware of things I need to do before I get 8.1. I have been able to get 8.1 succesfully on the 928 and the 521 so I have Preview for Developers installed on my phone. I have used the Nokia Recovery Tool to reinstall the OS and even managed to get through to the two updates prior to installing 8.1 where it gives me the message how I'll love 8.1.

This is where I am stuck. I get messages from "unable to download" or "Downloaded but cannot install" dumba$$ MS messages. I have tried 6 different wifis, turned the clock back, forward, region changes, lnguage pack changes, blah and blah. Nothing effin works!

Finally, I am concluding this is a space allocation issue. When I go into storage check, it shows more than 4 GB available but how do I give more space to system? I tried file manager/explorer but nothing works. I am 100% positive that the moment I give more space in the system folder I should be golden. I have tried removing apps, etc. but I don't think this affects system storage space. I have been trying this for the past 10 days but not going anywhere.
Thanks!

Seriously Lumia 810? 928 and 521 are windows 8. 810 is Windows 7, 7.5 up to 7.8 only. So there is no other way to upgrade it to 8.1. You are a good one when it comes to rooting your phone. But you aint good on doing a google search:laugh:

lukas_ita

Sep 8, 2009
jaythang, Lumia 810 is a WP8 device! It's a 820 variant -_-

Have tried to hard reset e for first thing try to upgrade?

Sent from my Ativ S using Tapatalk 2

mcosmin222

May 1, 2012
Lumia 810 is a windows phone 8 device.

To get 8.1, you need to be a registered developer, as the official version is still not yet available to the general public.

HD2FORNICK

Mar 14, 2011
Seriously Lumia 810? 928 and 521 are windows 8. 810 is Windows 7, 7.5 up to 7.8 only. So there is no other way to upgrade it to 8.1. You are a good one when it comes to rooting your phone. But you aint good on doing a google search:laugh:

Don't know what part of the world you're from and I'm giving you the benefit of doubt but in the good old US of A, I get this for a quick Google search.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2142575/why-wait-how-to-install-windows-phone-8-1-right-now.html

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-phone-81-preview-for-developers-now-available

Both these links mention that while the 810 may not get an official upgrade path, it will be through Preview for developers. Also, there are many users on this forum who claim they have 8.1 running on their 810s. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

lukas_ita

Sep 8, 2009
But, how many device have you upgraded with your Dev Account? You can associate max 3 devices to a dev account

Sent from my Ativ S using Tapatalk 2