[REQ] for developers - Finger Print lock Apps

Search This thread

PiTT

Feb 8, 2006
Occasionally I leave my phone laying around or let other people play with it, but it's getting very tedious having to lock it all the time. Anyone up for creating a app that will let me lock certain portions/apps on the phone (ie. SMS, gallery, etc.) using the built in finger print scanner?

Reactions: Pavel-145

krkeegan

Jun 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I will second this. I recall reading that Moto was going to release the APIs for the print scanner. That should make it considerably easier.

PiTT

Feb 8, 2006
just a bump, I know all you great minds out there are capable of this and want this too =)

PiTT

Feb 8, 2006
I emailed the developer of Widget Locker since he seems to be fiddling with the Finger Print Scanner on the Atrix to see if he's interested in making a separate app for this. I wouldn't mind paying something like $1 for it.

How can we get this thread more attention from developers on XDA?

Kieters

Mar 8, 2011
Keep the thread bumped, add some other keywords such a biometric scanner, fingerprints, fingerprint scanner, etc. (I myself didn't find this when searching), post the same on other forums, that's all you can do really!

kevin@TeslaCoil

May 19, 2010
Chicago
teslacoilsw.com
I emailed the developer of Widget Locker since he seems to be fiddling with the Finger Print Scanner on the Atrix to see if he's interested in making a separate app for this.

And here I am! (Sorry for taking some time to get back to this)

What I'm doing from WidgetLocker is piggy backing on the system security, so I don't interface with the fingerprint scanner directly. However I have looked into this as it could be interesting for WidgetLocker to be able to use in more ways, and potentially another separate app like discussed here.

I've seen the other thread about the password keeper and this one about an app-lock type thing. The issue with a password keeper is that the passwords should be stored encrypted, otherwise if someone stole your phone they'd just need to root if (if it's not already) and they'd be able to get all your password. But encrypting the passwords with a key that's stored somewhere is really just adding a few extra steps, they're not truly protected. Normally they'd be encrypted with your password, and only decryptable with you typing the password again. But I don't think this could be done for the fingerprint scanner due to what information is available (And how the fingerprint information is stored on disk). I could be wrong however.

As for the app-locker thing, there are also security issues here, but I think app-lockers are more used as a deterrent than as real security. To lock out your friend rather than a thief. But there's a fair amount of non-fingerprint related work to be done for this kind of app as well.

If I do end up doing anything with it I'll post back.

andrew53517

Aug 24, 2009
I said this in the development section when it was released lol. So....+1 and good idea!

Atrix4G Rooted!

PiTT

Feb 8, 2006

What I'm doing from WidgetLocker is piggy backing on the system security, so I don't interface with the fingerprint scanner directly. However I have looked into this as it could be interesting for WidgetLocker to be able to use in more ways, and potentially another separate app like discussed here.

I've seen the other thread about the password keeper and this one about an app-lock type thing. The issue with a password keeper is that the passwords should be stored encrypted, otherwise if someone stole your phone they'd just need to root if (if it's not already) and they'd be able to get all your password. But encrypting the passwords with a key that's stored somewhere is really just adding a few extra steps, they're not truly protected. Normally they'd be encrypted with your password, and only decryptable with you typing the password again. But I don't think this could be done for the fingerprint scanner due to what information is available (And how the fingerprint information is stored on disk). I could be wrong however.

As for the app-locker thing, there are also security issues here, but I think app-lockers are more used as a deterrent than as real security. To lock out your friend rather than a thief. But there's a fair amount of non-fingerprint related work to be done for this kind of app as well.

my reasoning behind this type of app as you said isn't for REAL security from a thief, more of a deterrent from people around me....such as a nosy friend or girlfriend =)

Rred

Oct 2, 2010
"such as a nosy"
Well, of course cell phones have had a way to prevent that for what, 20+ years now? You leave it locked, except for "emergency and speed dial" or other restricted calling. No reason that someone has to borrow my cell phone (and deprive me of my phone!) while they're doing whatever with it.
I don't have any guilt about saying "Sure, you can make a call. But I need my phone with me."

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011
my reasoning behind this type of app as you said isn't for REAL security from a thief, more of a deterrent from people around me....such as a nosy friend or girlfriend =)

Well, if you have a friend that would invade your privacy then they are not your friend. And if you have a girlfriend that doesn't trust you enough to respect your privacy then dump her. You can't have a relationship without trust.

aquariumdrinker

Feb 28, 2011
Atlanta
There are already apps that let you lock particular applications. I hand my phone over to my 4-year-old all the time so she can play Fruit Ninja, so I keep my work email locked down. I guess it would be kind of cool if the app locking software took advantage of the Atrix's fingerprint scanner.

aquariumdrinker

Feb 28, 2011
Atlanta
And why are we assuming that it's the girlfriend that's untrustworthy? PiTT (no offense, all due respect) is the one with dirty little secrets on his phone.

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011
I would love to be able to lock my phone using the finger print swype. This can't be to hard, could it? :)

I don't understand what you are asking here. If you're going to be swiping your finger over the sensor to lock it, wouldn't it be just as simple to just press the button? If you have the sensor lock enabled, it will be locked with access only being granted to your finger swipe.

derrickonline

Feb 18, 2009
GEESH!

Clearly some people on this thread don't understand what's going on here. So let me break it down....

It's not about "it's not a real friend if they invade your privacy".

It's not about "why not just lock the phone itself".

Maybe you have a family member, girlfriend, wife, or CHILD you want to be allowed to use your phone. This requires unlocking the phone itself.

Buuuut, you don't want them snooping in your email or for the dense folks who don't get it, you don't want a CHILD deleting your messages accidentally, replying inadvertently to a co-worker via email etc.

Or let's be real, you don't want your GF or wife to see the chic you've been bangin's nude photo in your phone.

So you want to FINGERPRINT LOCK specific apps, like TEXT, EMAIL, SKYPE, TANGO, FRING, ETC! That way your "guest" can use your phone, but can't use any other apps without your finger!

GEESH!

I'd really like to see phones with Windows-like login profiles. So I can have my profile, ADMIN, and my wife can have hers GUEST.

Anyway...I second/triple/quadruple the idea of a fingerprint reader app lock. Right now I use AppProtector, and I'm looking into a new app called simply LOCK or (App) Lock.

edejonckheere

May 4, 2011
Elko, Nevada
"Clearly some people on this thread don't understand what's going on here. So let me break it down....

........you don't want your GF or wife to see the chic you've been bangin's nude photo in your phone."

*grin* The premise of your post made me laugh hard.

On a real note, I think this kind of application would be awesome. I too use appprotector, and I used to use the fingerprint scanner, but it just became bothersome to use everytime I locked my phone and had to unlock it. I don't have anything to hide on my phone, but I do lock my "SU" folder that contains all of my root tools. I have a 12 yo at home, and she could very easily mess something up without knowing it. I think the idea of locking certains apps with the fingerprint scanner is a fantastic idea, and I'd be willing to pay a few bucks for it for sure.

Actually, a whole utility for the fingerprint scanner on the Atrix that allowed you to do multiple things with it would be great.

Like was posted previously, it would be nice to have guest accounts (for wife and child etc), and with a fingerprint swipe, they wouldn't even have to login..swipe and go.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I emailed the developer of Widget Locker since he seems to be fiddling with the Finger Print Scanner on the Atrix to see if he's interested in making a separate app for this.

Keep the thread bumped, add some other keywords such a biometric scanner, fingerprints, fingerprint scanner, etc. (I myself didn't find this when searching), post the same on other forums, that's all you can do really!
    Occasionally I leave my phone laying around or let other people play with it, but it's getting very tedious having to lock it all the time. Anyone up for creating a app that will let me lock certain portions/apps on the phone (ie. SMS, gallery, etc.) using the built in finger print scanner?
    i am the hero this thread needs. check out DataDefender(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.authentec.datadefender&hl=en) and im sure you will be pleased, sir/ma'am

if i helped you. hit the thanks button @)

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

FYI for everyone...........for passwords I use KeePass which has all my logins, passwords, membership info, etc. I keep the password file in my dropbox, so it's never stored on my phone, although it is encrypted anyway, and any time I want access to my passwords I just go into my dropbox, select the encrypted KeePass file, and I input my password to allow me access. KePass resides on my phone, but I never actually have to open the actual application, as it auto opens when the encrypted file is selected. I use dropbox so that I can access the password file from anywhere on any device.

The company I work for has a high level of security for data, and the global security group advises KeePass for password retention and encryption.

Hope this helps some folks out!