[TUT] Revert OTA 3.2 back to 3.0.1

Search This thread

wolverine423

Feb 22, 2011
Tennessee
It just keep saying: Please download the newer image for the upgrade

Like I said. DO NOT plug in your tablet until a popup comes up.

If it finds the current image version, it is because you PLUGGED IT IN TOO EARLY!

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Yeah struggling with downgrading myself but if can always rename the leaked Stock 4.03 ROM to update.zip and put it on the SD card.
Flash it that way works fine.... you are then back on ICS 4.04 locked and stock but it runs until we can figure out how to downgrade easily

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

In USBDeview I get a serial which is the exact same as the one I get from "Status" in ICS developer menu. I also get another ID that looks right but neither works in EUU.

with or without 0 in front? Surely Im doing something wrong.

Fool for not saving my UID :-D

Doesn't work

Worked for me. In the CPUID.txt delete what is in there, and enter 0x0(your uid here)

Then when is asks in the EUU, put the uid in with a 0 in front of it.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: terrormattie

djadjabing

Dec 28, 2008
Düsseldorf
hey folks,

all steps in methode one works, but when i want to reeboot in the bootleader i become this msg:

Erasing Chac before SD Update...

SD update cmd:recovery
--update_package=SDCARD:update.zip

Secure boot: image sos checksum fail!

what i've done wrong and what can i do now? i want to install Thoobany 3.0 :D

Grettings

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
Seems like you don't have CWM installed. What firmware version you were running before that? Are you able to boot into Honeycomb 3.0.1?

If yes - boot into 3.0.1 ROM, root it by using iconiaroot, install CWM and then you'll be able to boot into CWM, wipe all and install the ROM of your choice.

Last edited:

droiduzr2

Jan 26, 2011
..?

I don't know how you people got it to work.
Once you flash it to the unstable HC 3.0.1, you cant install IconiaRoot because you don't have a file manager. You cant get on the Market either because a Force Close comes up once the keyboard comes up. The Force Close closes the keyboard making it unable to type. You cant mount USB storage. Your Iconia will show up on your computer but you aren't able to copy anything or see anything on it.

Here's what I had to do:
1. Flash it to the unstable HC 3.0.1

2. Hard reset my device (using the guide on this thread)

3. Get on the Market

4. Install ES File Explorer

5. Navigate to IconiaRoot.apk

6. Install it

7. Hit Root and wait

8. Go back to the Market

9. Install Acer Recovery Installer, NOT Acer ROM Flasher (another app there).

10. Open the app and install Thor's CWM

11. Hit Reboot into Recovery

12. Wipe cache, Dalvik cache and install zip from sdcard (ROM)

13. Wipe cache, Dalvik cache and do a full wipe

14. Boot up the ROM (first boot will take a couple of minutes)

15. Enjoy!

stressfreesoul

Aug 31, 2011
North East
I'm still unrooted

I cannot get either method to work. I've tried it everywhich way I can but no dice.
Method one insists I have entered the wrong CPUID (when it is correct every time AND I am following the procedure to the letter) and Method 2 gives the same error as I mentioned here.
I'm tearing my hair out trying to work it out as I've been trying to get my A500 rooted since late last year. Someone please help! :(

Edit: heres a quick snap of my version number if its of any use....

0HYVTXCSGuYNdgIaRHNVv2

Last edited:

stressfreesoul

Aug 31, 2011
North East
I hate being made a lier. Damn it! Method 2 has suddenly decided to work after all this time. I'm curently downloading one of thors ROMs....

Rooted, Booted and ROMmed with THOR 14.2.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone
I'm trying to install the 3.0.1 version using the method 2. I am doing this because the A500 was locked after playing in the security area with the 3.2 version. The A500 was requiring the user and the pass and the owner "forgave" both, I did the downgrade successfully but the A500 still requiring the user and the password.

Any help will be appreciated

regards

Last edited:

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
Try method 1 or use TimmyDean 's tool which is basically the same, but the firmware you get is 3.2.1 stock rooted which actually spares time :)

The tablet is not encrypted isn't it?

drkalo
Thanks for the replay, the tablet just is asking for the user and pass, I was looking some way like install a stock to start from the beginning. The method 2 worked for me but as it leaves the data intact the lock ( ask for the user and pass) can not be disable. I have done a root to this tablet but I make the mistake to don't install CWM.

Okay I will try the method 1, and let you know. Thank you very much.

Regards

nolanta

Jul 25, 2010
Dallas, TX
Okay, so I used this tool to successfully downgrade to 3.0.1.

If I followed Method 1, and stop at Step 6 (don't root, don't install Thor, don't flash rom) why does System Update tell me "No Update your device is up to date." when I'm still on 3.0.1?

Last edited:

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
Okay, so I used this tool to successfully downgrade to 3.0.1.

If I followed Method 1, and stop at Step 6 (don't root, don't install Thor, don't flash rom) why does System Update tell me "No Update your device is up to date." when I'm still on 3.0.1?

Well if you want completely stock unrooted ICS with ACER's bootloader and no custom recovery just flash the update.zip from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1524736
It will overwrite your HC bootloader and recovery.

If you need stock ROM but rooted with CWM, visit this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1633907

I never tried to update OTA after downgrading so I cannot tell you the exact reason why it is impossible.

nolanta

Jul 25, 2010
Dallas, TX
Well if you want completely stock unrooted ICS with ACER's bootloader and no custom recovery just flash the update.zip from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1524736
It will overwrite your HC bootloader and recovery.

If you need stock ROM but rooted with CWM, visit this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1633907

I never tried to update OTA after downgrading so I cannot tell you the exact reason why it is impossible.

If I follow that link and do the stock ICS/recovery, will that put me back on the path for OTA's in the future?

skinnyveganboy

Apr 11, 2010
Victorville, CA
I could not for the life of me get method 2 to work. but i did finally get method 1 to work. i had to download the drivers from acer as the included drivers did not work.

Method 2 would display text in the top left for a short while and then I'd get a progress bar under the android graphic for a short time and then I got the ! inside the triangle.

Last edited:

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
I could not for the life of me get method 2 to work. but i did finally get method 1 to work. i had to download the drivers from acer as the included drivers did not work.

Method 2 would display text in the top left for a short while and then I'd get a progress bar under the android graphic for a short time and then I got the ! inside the triangle.
Glad it worked out for you, but what Windows you're on? Did you install the proper drivers included in Method 1 package for your OS type (Vista/7/XP/x86/x64)?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well as long as we have ICS OTA this thread seems to be less needed. Anyway, I'll leave it this way in case someone is stuck on HC 3.2 without root and without being able to update to ICS. How to get root on your stock ICS, look here or here

If you’re reading this may be you’re stuck with a 3.2 OTA update without ROOT privileges on your A500. This tutorial explains how to revert your OTA 3.2 to 3.0.1. Original article for those of you who speak Russian here
    Thanks to begemot666.
    These methods could be used to unbrick your device i.e. when boot.img and recovery.img are corrupt.

METHOD 1 - thanks, vache

It is best to use a PC with Windows 7 on it. Most of the problems reported seem to be XP related.

1. Download and unpack the archive provided by vache here - for Firefox rightclick and select "Save link as".
    MIRROR
    2. Get your UID (without it nothing is going to work). How to do that – read sc2k’s itsmagic thread. Enable USB debugging on the tablet.
    3. Edit the file CPUID inside the extracted folder with a text editor - you have to change this line with your UID number but you need to add “zeroxzero” in front of it, example: if your UID is 37c7040425ff0d7, at the end it needs to look like 0x037c7040425ff0d7.
    Save the file.
    4. Connect your tablet with the PC.
    5. Run PBJ20upgrade.exe as administrator and follow app instructions. USB drivers are provided with this archive and the app installs them automatically according to your system.
    6. After driver installation the app scans your tablet and it will show version number of your current firmware and version number of the firmware that is going to be applied after restoration. Follow all application instructions. Tablet will switch to APX mode with ACER logo on its screen and on your PC you’ll see the progress bar of the process. Before the beginning of the flashing process the app will ask you for identification number. Here you enter your UID which you have placed in the CPUID file with a zero infront. Example: 037c7040425ff0d7

Below are screenshots from the EUU app that's used to downgrade to 3.0.1

The whole things takes 10 or more minutes so be patient. Then you’ll have HC 3.0.1 :D
    All data on your system and data partitions will be lost. Storage will remain intact.

7. Once on Honeycomb 3.0.1, install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your tab and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, or look at the original thread here
    8. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

METHOD 1 update: You can use timmyDean 's modified and tweaked EUU tool that will flash directly a rooted stock 3.2.1 ROM:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1307539

METHOD 2 - thanks GamezR2EZ
    This is even easier because it does not need your UID. It is just flashing as a normal update but actually it is an older HC version that is rootable by Iconiaroot. Additionally method 2 leaves your data intact and you will be able to backup your apps after downgrading with tools like Titanium Backup. Thanks heldc for pointing this out.

1. Download this package (named "downgrade not stable"). mirror1 mirror2 mirror3
    2. Extract the update.zip from it and place it on your external SD card.
    3. Turn off your tab and then turn it back on while holding Volume Down key. This will automatically flash the update.zip from your SD card.
    4. After flashing is finished you'll have unstable Honeycomb 3.0.1 - gives errors and crashes but you only need it to root and install CWM. If it fails to boot try to hard reset your device *.
    5. Install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your tab and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, or look at the original thread here
    6. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

GOOD LUCK !

* How to hard reset your Iconia A500

1. Turn off your tablet
    2. Place the screen lock button on the left (red not visible)
    3. Hold Volume UP + Power button
    4. After the vibration, release the power button and toggle the screen switch few times left-right until you see the following lines appear on the screen

Erasing Userdata...

Erasing Cache...

You can now release Volume UP button.

5. In the top left corner you'll see formatting has started.
    6. Tablet will reboot
    Maybe it could help : EUUs_SBK_Acer_A500_1.016.05_COM_GEN1
    You can post it in 4PDA.ru.
    This would be alot easier if everyone just used the image vache posted for 3.0.1. That image WILL work for the locked bootloader. After you get back to 3.0.1 you can then root it then install CWM.

OP please update your guide, that is the much easier/safer option.

EDIT-

The actual link has been update. I pointed you to the wrong file previously
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GR57P1NN
    That's method 2. Would you like me to remove metod 1?

No that still uses an EUU.
    The zip in my previous post is an update.zip FROM acer specifically to downgrade from 3.2 to 3.0.1. It will work after you get a locked bootloader.
    After you do that iconiaroot would work, but there are other ways to root 3.0.1 as well. Anyway, it seems like it would be easier and quicker and platform independent.

Try it out
    Glad it worked for you. EUU is not thor's tool, it's ACER's which does not mean he's not a great dev :)

MIRRORS for method 2:

WUPLOAD
    HOTFILE