How should the perfect Vehicle Dock for Note II look like? From iBOLT...

Which type of microUSB charging connection should the new Car Dock have?

• Fixed microUSB position (does not work with cases)

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Flexible microUSB "arm" (works with all cases)

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread
Ah fair enough, this would be fine. I have a 3A USB charger wired into my car under the dashboard so I wouldn't use the audio (I just use Bluetooth for that) but if it doesn't mean an extra plug then that's no problem. That is, as long as the dock trying to use USB audio doesn't disable the output over BT or anything like that - then it would just be an annoyance.

I've never used or seen a Motorola dock because I've never owned a Motorola phone.

Chris - I wouldn't worry about that. If it's designed like the Motorola adaptor, bluetooth overrides the 3.5mm adaptor (spliced into the USB connector). It was slightly disappointing in my situation because I had to disable A2DP on my Jawbone, so that the music wouldn't go straight to my bluetooth headset, but if I did have bluetooth audio feed to my car stereo, that would've been perfectly fine. Hope that makes sense.

ChrisEmerson

Feb 7, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Chris - I wouldn't worry about that. If it's designed like the Motorola adaptor, bluetooth overrides the 3.5mm adaptor (spliced into the USB connector). It was slightly disappointing in my situation because I had to disable A2DP on my Jawbone, so that the music wouldn't go straight to my bluetooth headset, but if I did have bluetooth audio feed to my car stereo, that would've been perfectly fine. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, thanks. I still think relying on the Bluetooth would be a better situation as I'm sure taking advantage of the audio through USB would add cost to the dock, especially with cheap bluetooth adapters being available, but it sounds like the audio out is the more popular option.

Yes, thanks. I still think relying on the Bluetooth would be a better situation as I'm sure taking advantage of the audio through USB would add cost to the dock, especially with cheap bluetooth adapters being available, but it sounds like the audio out is the more popular option.

I think I understand better of where you're coming from. If iBolt created a wireless charging dock (via NFC), while also offering a 3.5mm Bluetooth adapter like the one below, that might be a viable option for people. I just personally don't trust wireless connection as much, when it comes to audio, but it's certainly an option if they were able to manage that.
http://www.espow.com/product_info.p...ogleshopping&gclid=CMDExMzzg7MCFaN_QgodSn0Apg

Ultimately, if iBolt were able to afford it, they'd offer a wired and wireless option. Wired priced at their current "standard" price of $29.99 and Wireless version (including wireless bluetooth audio 3.5mm dongle) for double the price.

ChrisEmerson

Feb 7, 2012
Nottingham, UK
I think I understand better of where you're coming from. If iBolt created a wireless charging dock (via NFC), while also offering a 3.5mm Bluetooth adapter like the one below, that might be a viable option for people. I just personally don't trust wireless connection as much, when it comes to audio, but it's certainly an option if they were able to manage that.
http://www.espow.com/product_info.p...ogleshopping&gclid=CMDExMzzg7MCFaN_QgodSn0Apg

Ultimately, if iBolt were able to afford it, they'd offer a wired and wireless option. Wired priced at their current "standard" price of $29.99 and Wireless version (including wireless bluetooth audio 3.5mm dongle) for double the price.

That adapter does the opposite - converts the 3.5mm jack to bluetooth - but yes, a similar thing.

Bluetooth connections are pretty solid - it's a data connection, not subject to the same interference like the 'analogue' connections of FM or AM radio. Quality isn't lost (unless you lose the connection), and you get to control the phone from the other device as well - change tracks etc. With my car at least, with a bluetooth connection to the phone, my steering wheel controls control the phone's music player. I understand not everyone has it, but a head unit that supports it can be pretty cheap, and an adapter (though not with the control, but not losing anything over 3.5mm) even cheaper.

Reactions: drexappeal

bwillet

Apr 10, 2006
I also prefer portrait mode in the car. I will buy whatever dock I can find that has the following attributes:

- phone held in portrait mode drops onto fixed MicroUSB connector
- has removable insert / adjustable spacers to allow use with cases
- audio out cable
- docking/undocking needs to be a one-step operation, no latch on top of device

So basically your Galaxy S3 dock, but supporting the bottom of the phone instead of the left side. For me, the whole point of a car dock is to NOT have to plug/unplug a cable. I want to be able to pop the phone in and out easily, and with one hand. If I have to use two hands to plug a cable in, I may as well just use a universal "clamping" cradle and plug the cable in manually. If I'm going to spend $$ on a cradle, there need to be advantages over a universal!

Take it or leave it, but here is my cradle design. If I had the time, manufacturing capability, time, capital, and time, I would just design and sell it myself ...

- Fixed position micro-usb at bottom
- 2 silicone pads on either side of micro-usb connector, vertically adjustable (maybe 2mm total) via plastic threaded rod to allow for different depth cases
- 2 plastic glides (like popsicle sticks) running vertically along the back of the cradle, again with threaded rods to push guides out from back of cradle, to allow phone to align with micro-usb connector on bottom, regardless if phone is naked or has an otterbox type case.
- groove/c-channel side guides that move both forward and back, and adjust for width of phone (trickiest part of design, I can see it in my head but too wordy to put down here).

It might take 5 minutes to set the cradle up for your specific phone/case combo, but once you do it, it's done until the next case or phone of similar design. Do all of that, and I'll pay $80 for it. Make it more adjustable, and it can be pretty universal for most phones with docking on the bottom. Make the Micro USB reversible (pop it up, rotate it 180, pop it back in) for phones that have reversed orientation of the connector.

In the off-chance that you actually use a significant portion of this design, all I ask is that you send me one for free, no royalties necessary ;)

Martynhsmith

Oct 17, 2012
Note 2

I've looked at the S3 ibolt and I have the following suggestions for a note 2

I prefer Portrait holding for the following reasons :-
Maps are better in portrait
You would be able to use the note 2 ability to have multiple screens - maps running on the top and music in chrome in the bottom windows

As to holding the phone in place
I think the USB connector needs to be on a flexible cord with 'clips' to hold it in place left and right bottom
I don't think the support can be all the way along the bottom edge as the microphone is right next to the USB connector and I still want it to work and not be covered up. The top - I'd prefer a single clip in the middle with a hole so the rear camera still works

As to sizing - I want to put it in the holder with the case on - I've got a silicon case round by phone that adds a couple of mm on dimensions
The USB pin (metal bit sticking ot) need to be long enough to connect to the phone with a case on.

The whole thing needs to be very sturdy and have good connection to glass /dash

The cable 9feet is fine and the usb separation audio separation is good idea - it may be worth providing a Male to female connector for the audio as to start with I'm using a fm transmitter to transmit my the sound to the stereo must fm transmitters have a male connector on them

If you like my ideas or not can you make one quick as it's something I really need.

Martyn

Reactions: RedheadTarn

slaakker

Apr 13, 2010
Lots of good ideas here. I absolutely love my S3 ibolt car dock. Whatever you do, do it quick so I can buy one. Yes, 9ft for cord is too long.

That adapter does the opposite - converts the 3.5mm jack to bluetooth - but yes, a similar thing.

Bluetooth connections are pretty solid - it's a data connection, not subject to the same interference like the 'analogue' connections of FM or AM radio. Quality isn't lost (unless you lose the connection), and you get to control the phone from the other device as well - change tracks etc. With my car at least, with a bluetooth connection to the phone, my steering wheel controls control the phone's music player. I understand not everyone has it, but a head unit that supports it can be pretty cheap, and an adapter (though not with the control, but not losing anything over 3.5mm) even cheaper.

I drive a Benz w/ Bose Audio system, so it wouldn't be a "cheap" alternative for me. A conversion of the entire system would cost thousands, due to the fiber optics. And even the work-around for the fiber optics is a PITA.

PCS524

Oct 16, 2012
Centennial
Galaxy Note 2 navigation car dock

I would love to see suction cup holder for the Note 2 with a flexible position neck. Car Mode is a must have. Flexible Micro USB. 2.5mm aux-out. Not to bulky so I can see around the whole thing with the phone in it on my dash. Pretty much like the design for the OEM Samsung ECS-K1E1BEGSTA that the Note 1 uses. Must be really easy (one handed?) and secure do to the phones weight. And a charger capable of powering everything at full Blast

Thanks!

da_nyce1

Oct 19, 2012
I don't own the Note, yet, but I really like the Samsung generic car mount: ECS-K200BEG. It's one of the few accessories I plan to get ASAP.

ChrisEmerson

Feb 7, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Thanks for making all the good and insightful posts everyone! We at iBOLT.co have read each one and we really appreciate the good input. We'll return in the next week or so with a summary observation and comments to all the issues raised in this thread. Again, thanks and keep posting!

Is there any news yet?

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

At this rate I'm tempted to just get the official mount and try and modify it to have a fixed USB connection myself. Car mounts for this phone are being very slow to come out!

melvinchng

Oct 17, 2010
Penang
You can make your own dock btw... I did that for my nexus s as nexus s is very rare here.

The picture below is the one that I made for my nexus. The dock can be removed from the stand.

I will make a video to make a dock when I get my note 2.

Accidentally sent from my Google Nexus S

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351264869842.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351264869842.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 921
Reactions: blane73

NewMC

Dec 1, 2008
Geneseo IL
The dock absolutely MUST be designed similar to how the htc evo lte dock is set up. The thing that isn't as appealing with the sgs3 dock is that you have to plug the micro-usb connector in all the time. The best part of having a vehicle dock is being able to place the phone in the dock and go. Also, having a 3.5 jack that can output via adaptor spliced with the micro-usb connector is a must have. Obviously, it'd be ideal to also design it to accommodate those that use cases

2 car docks you can take cues from would be the original note dock and the motorola docks. Please make it happen.

The trickiest part would be creating a dock that meshes what you did for the HTC Evo LTE dock and the Galaxy S3.

For examples, here is the Motorola Razr Maxx Vehicle Dock:
http://media.tecca.com/2012/04/14/m...maxx-xt912m-mobile-phones-angleimage-320w.jpg

The original Note vehicle dock:
http://i2.expansys.com/img/b/224728/samsung-original-vehicle-dock-kit-for-galaxy-note-5-3.jpg

3.5mm audio adaptor/USB charger that would plug into the back of the dock and into the usb slot of a car charger
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumer...icle-Docks/m-Custom-Audio-Cable,en_US,pd.html

Now, take those concepts, add the ability to use with/without a case, and that would be the perfect dock.

I agree with this post, the perfect dock would have all of these features included. There are so many case options anymore that we need one great dock that will accommodate them all. Audio output would be great, either ship the dock with a detachable cable or make it retractable;). Users need the ability to dock in landscape or portrait without "car mode" locking their screen into landscape. It also would be helpful to some to be able to record or take photos while docked. The LED, which on most docks just shows that power is supplied, can either be removed or relocated to the rear or plug. At night these can sometimes become a distraction or too bright for some people. Thanks for your time!

P.S. ~ I will gladly review your dock for you once you have a few completed!:D

Last edited:

csmits

May 13, 2010
I send them (iBolt) an email to ask when they would be releasing it.

This was their answer:

"Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in our products.

We are planning something that will accommodate the Note, to be released after the first of the year. Keep checking our website for updates.

Have a great day."

Not completely sure what is meant, but if it means it will only be out by 2013, that would be a bummer :eek:

iondokk

Dec 11, 2007
The dock absolutely MUST be designed similar to how the htc evo lte dock is set up. The thing that isn't as appealing with the sgs3 dock is that you have to plug the micro-usb connector in all the time. The best part of having a vehicle dock is being able to place the phone in the dock and go. Also, having a 3.5 jack that can output via adaptor spliced with the micro-usb connector is a must have. Obviously, it'd be ideal to also design it to accommodate those that use cases

2 car docks you can take cues from would be the original note dock and the motorola docks. Please make it happen.

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

The trickiest part would be creating a dock that meshes what you did for the HTC Evo LTE dock and the Galaxy S3.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

For examples, here is the Motorola Razr Maxx Vehicle Dock:
http://media.tecca.com/2012/04/14/m...maxx-xt912m-mobile-phones-angleimage-320w.jpg

The original Note vehicle dock:
http://i2.expansys.com/img/b/224728/samsung-original-vehicle-dock-kit-for-galaxy-note-5-3.jpg

3.5mm audio adaptor/USB charger that would plug into the back of the dock and into the usb slot of a car charger
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumer...icle-Docks/m-Custom-Audio-Cable,en_US,pd.html

Now, take those concepts, add the ability to use with/without a case, and that would be the perfect dock.

I have the second dock sbown here for my sIII it was originally made for the Nexus I believe. I use it everyday and after buying several aftermarket docs I'm really going to miss it. Copy copy copy....

ChrisEmerson

Feb 7, 2012
Nottingham, UK
I've now bought the Samsung dock, and it's good. I'll be looking at trying to fix a Micro USB adapter in place permanently so I can just slot the phone in, and having it activate car mode too by wiring in the correct resistor when I get a chance (Assuming the car mode issue is fixed as well - I've heard it doesn't activate car mode properly at the moment).

New year is way too long to wait for a new product release I'm afraid, and I can't put my faith in a company that says it's going to come and answer comments in a week, then just disappears!

Anyone else who wants a car dock now, I got part number ECS-K200BEGSTD - it says it's for the S3 most places, but the Note II fits perfectly as well, no buttons covered or anything like that.

RambJoe

Jul 29, 2010
I've now bought the Samsung dock, and it's good. I'll be looking at trying to fix a Micro USB adapter in place permanently so I can just slot the phone in, and having it activate car mode too by wiring in the correct resistor when I get a chance (Assuming the car mode issue is fixed as well - I've heard it doesn't activate car mode properly at the moment).

New year is way too long to wait for a new product release I'm afraid, and I can't put my faith in a company that says it's going to come and answer comments in a week, then just disappears!

Anyone else who wants a car dock now, I got part number ECS-K200BEGSTD - it says it's for the S3 most places, but the Note II fits perfectly as well, no buttons covered or anything like that.

Yeah my Samsung universal car dock came yesterday from Handtec. It's listed as a Note 2 dock there, but it has the same model.

Is it possible to get into car mode from just the software?

It would be cool to save your GPS location when you take the car charger out, is that possible, or maybe I could use NFC?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone, we at iBOLT (www.ibolt.co) are working on a "real" car dock for the Note II. As we are finalizing the details it would be great to have feedback and input from this knowledgeable user community. Here's some of the questions where it would be great to have some feedback on: which type of microUSB charging is optimal (fixed position or flexible so it works with cases), car mode (good or not?), wireless charging (does anyone care?), aux-out through microUSB with 9ft cord (too long?). Well, sound off and let us know and we'll read every comment:) Thanks!
    I'm afraid that video confirms to me that you haven't managed to create a dock with one handed operation - you have to use 2 hands tu plug the usb cable in!

There seem to be a lot of one-arm persons in this thread. Don't see what's the big deal of using 2 hands to plug in a cable.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    nice, i was hoping you guys would make one for the note ii.

please have a stiff-necked cup holder version. i find them much more stable and secure. i personally have a mini cooper, and the cup holders are right in front of the console. the usb cable/aux are right behind them, so it's perfect. 9ft is definitely too long, and would just clutter up the car.

as per the connection, consider the samsung infuse route...where it snaps into the bottom of the phone. wireless charging is nice, but i wouldn't pay more than +20 bux for it.

speaking of which, please do portrait mode, not landscape. portrait is way better for navigation.

last and the least, consider changing your company name.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    So being ever curious I wanted to see the mechanism that they designed this with so I popped it apart. If you want to do this also just slide the bottom mounting points upward off the main back that houses the spring loaded top clamp, Once you get that off remove the four screws and you can open the main housing up which is pretty simple really...

While I had it apart I played around with stretching the springs out a bit to loosen things up since I knew I could replace them after seeing them. I started by just removing one spring but that was to loose so I then hyper stretched just one to see how that changed things up but it was still a bit tight... So I finally stretched the other to around the same amount and reassembled and I like the feel much better... The mount still flexes just a bit under the pressure but not near as much as it did before to the extent of causing the ball joint to move.

If you do this be careful as you can easily over stretch the springs... I stretched mine to the point that they still had light tension when closed all the way. Also, be aware that doing this would probably void any warranty this has.
    xProDock for Galaxy Note II ready soon

All, we are overwhelmed here at iBOLT by the level of interest for the new car-dock. Today we received the first production units and we are shipping by the end of December. We will post images and spec by Monday and also a link to where to purchase. It works with all cases and extended batteries. Stay tuned and thank you all for excellent comments and great discussions!