Skyfire for Android (Beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

flexgrip

Dec 5, 2007
never mind about the server side flash thing. although I dont really understand why you would ail ask that question.

I just installed opera and it sucks. I am a web developer and it really pisses me off that it didn't render ONE site correctly. Yeah its faster but out of 5 sites this thing didn't get one right... Useless. The stock browser gets a Ton of stuff right. Even a lot of my ajax/json stuff.

Will try this new browser out. Is it based on webkit?

Sent from my HERO200 using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

DirtyShroomz

Mar 17, 2010
never mind about the server side flash thing. although I dont really understand why you would ail ask that question.

I just installed opera and it sucks. I am a web developer and it really pisses me off that it didn't render ONE site correctly. Yeah its faster but out of 5 sites this thing didn't get one right... Useless. The stock browser gets a Ton of stuff right. Even a lot of my ajax/json stuff.

Will try this new browser out. Is it based on webkit?

Sent from my HERO200 using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

everything loads right for me

Kcarpenter

Nov 24, 2009
Clinton, TN
Kind of a **** attitude for a CEO

Kind of a **** attitude from an XDA member. Guy did nothing wrong other than let us know that the program has been neutered from the server side. They've done nothing wrong. It's their software and their investors probably don't like leaks (understandbale especially if they are publicly traded) - I can imagine if software got leaked where I work, bad mojo.

madman2233

Jan 26, 2010
Hello to those on this thread. We appreciate the interest in our latest product for Android.

The early alpha version of our product that is being circulated is unauthorized and has been purposely disabled from connecting to our cloud service. Hence the controls are there, but without our server-side connection, the video and other functionality won't work. So if you think you have it working, you surely do not as all the key functionality that defines it as a Skyfire product has been disconnected.

Don't worry, you won't have to wait long as we will soon be launching the product for the public.

Jeff Glueck
CEO, Skyfire

Sent from my Nexus One using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

Thanks for the update!

I always like it when a company takes time out of their day to update their userbase. Keep up the great work! i loved skyfire on WinMo and cant wait to start using the official version on android.

liquidkernel

Aug 12, 2008
Thanks for the update!

I always like it when a company takes time out of their day to update their userbase. Keep up the great work! i loved skyfire on WinMo and cant wait to start using the official version on android.

Ditto!

I hope that pinch/expand support will be added. So far it looks very impressive though. Skyfire's idea is a stroke of genius.

jakechance

Apr 20, 2010
Actually this is totally reasonable. Alpha software is incredibly buggy and usually just used by devs to find remaining bugs and what needs polish. Since Skyfire does server side rendering, they probably only want it accessable by a certain number of units for their tests and for logging. I'm sure they'll release a beta when they're ready for the community to put it to the limits.

HumpDdumpD

Nov 12, 2009
Just force closing as soon as it tries to open before & after rebooting :-(
Running CM 5.0.6 on nexus one.

JD914

Apr 5, 2010
New York
I love what I see so far, even though the functionality is limited due to Skyfire disabling it still renders pages way better than opera mini and is more functional. Only if Skyfire would implement multi-touch it would be real nice ;)

liquidkernel

Aug 12, 2008
This looks like the standard Android browser to me (the zooming at leaast). Except slower for some reason.

What idea is that?

All rendering is done on Skyfire's servers. It sends image data to your phone instead of having your phone render it. All Javascript, AJAX and dynamic features still work. Similar to the standard browser, they include Flash support.

Try going to a bandwidth test website and see how fast it is. Should show you somewhere in the 10-30Mbit range because the site is actually ran from their servers.

On my winmo phone this was the fastest browser. Compared to anyone with an iPhone browser, I would always load pages faster and more accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.