Kernel 3.0

Search This thread

tdwp16

Jun 2, 2011
I was just wondering if anyone planned on porting Linux kernel 3.0 to the iconia a100... since it seems that no one pays any attention to the development section..
Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

jakob95

Sep 14, 2011
NYC
You can't and the 3.00 Kernal is the same as the current kernal just with a different name. 3.00 Kernal isn't supported on Tegra 2 anyways.

toyface

Aug 7, 2010
Derbyshire
Firstly, no developer would be able to make a kernel (at least a competent and GPL compliant one) until Acer has dropped the Kernel Source for the ICS update.

Secondly, it remains to be seen whether the Tegra 2 drivers indeed work with the v3.0 Kernel as the ICS update for the Xoom still uses a 2.6.39 kernel.

And for a bonus third, the 3.0 version of the Linux kernel is NOT the same with a different version number, it carries on with the same updates/bug fixes from previous releases for sure, but is not the same as previous kernel versions.

tdwp16

Jun 2, 2011
Thank you toy face. That is a more logical explanation. So there would be no way of porting?

Last edited:

tdwp16

Jun 2, 2011
Thank you guys. I was just a little curious. I was looking through the kindle fire development section and there was a Linux 3.x kernel for them so I had thought it was possible for us.

pintek

May 10, 2011
Thank you guys. I was just a little curious. I was looking through the kindle fire development section and there was a Linux 3.x kernel for them so I had thought it was possible for us.

if memory serves me right the kindle fire's hardware has more open source drivers avail ( Texas instrument ) then our acer a100 (nvidia tegra)

pintek

May 10, 2011
I wish people didn't keep comparing a tegra based phone to our tegra based tablet >.> different guts inside. buuuuuut if thor figured how to make a 3.0 kernal for the a500 then there is hope to have one made for the a100 (since they are the same processor family an model!) only thing we would need to do would be screen drivers possibly hdmi an the micro usb port.

tdwp16

Jun 2, 2011
Thor's A500 ROM runs the 3.1 kernel, too.. I do wish people in here would actually KNOW what they're talking about before talking about it...

He never said anything that made him sound like he knew what he was talking about.. someone said that tegra 2 devices could not run the 3.x kernel. He simply stated that he has a tegra 2 device that has the 3.x kernel. He did not state any thing other than that.

Last edited:

tidewaterns

Oct 26, 2010
Virginia Beach, Virginia
He never said anything that made him sound like he knew what he was talking about.. someone said that tegra 2 devices could not run the 3.x kernel. He simply stated that he has a tegra 2 device that has the 3.x kernel. He did not state any thing other than that.

Yea that was what I trying to say. Thanks! I know that the tegra 2 in the Acer A100 and the G2x is different.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005

Reading comprehension 101. I was agreeing on his post and commenting on those HE was responding too.