Urgent question regarding bootloader!

Search This thread

extremeblizz

Jul 6, 2011
Is there any way to unlock a droid mini using motorola's website? I'm interested in buying a bootloader unlocked droid mini, and the person who's selling it to me says he did so on motorola's website.. the thing is, I don't see the droid mini listed as a device that can be unlocked, so I'm weary... that is, unless he unlocked it using the chinese man's method. He sent me a picture of the "bootloader unlocked" message on the phone and a TWRP screen on it as well...
Any thoughts? I'm really torn between getting this phone and the s4 mini, though the s4 mini costs a lot more it has a microsd card and I'm not sure if the droid mini's camera update a while back made it so its' camera is comparable to the s4 mini.
Anyway, please any reply could really save my bacon!

extremeblizz

Jul 6, 2011
If it's unlocked why does it matter how?

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Free mobile app

That's the thing, I'm not sure it is, I'm pretty sure he's not lying but I wanted to make sure since it's a big deal for me- I had an android phone with a locked bootloader and no rom flashing capability and it really sucked, in any case If he's unlocked great but I wanna know if his story checks out- is there an unlock for droid mini on the motorola website? (photos can be photoshopped and all)

Dr. Carpenter

Mar 15, 2011
I don't believe there is an official unlock method for the mini, just the Chinese guy. I would ask the seller for more clarification before buying.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Jaocagomez

Sep 4, 2010
Mexico Culiacan
he simply unlocked it via the chinese metod, then used the motorola website to unlock it, theres nothing be worry about, you wont get another droid mini with bootloader unlocked easily.
Whats really your concern?

Dr. Carpenter

Mar 15, 2011
he simply unlocked it via the chinese metod, then used the motorola website to unlock it, theres nothing be worry about, you wont get another droid mini with bootloader unlocked easily.
Whats really your concern?

The problem is that the Chinese method doesn't use the Motorola website, it's one or the other. The code from the Chinese guy is the code you would use the website to get. Just sounds a little fishy is all.

Edit to clarify, you don't use the Motorola website to unlock the device, that is done directly on your computer.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

happysteve11c

May 28, 2012
As long as you can handle not having a warranty on your device you should be fine with it being unlocked by a non standard method

rmjones2006

Sep 16, 2013
birmingham
Is there any way to unlock a droid mini using motorola's website? I'm interested in buying a bootloader unlocked droid mini, and the person who's selling it to me says he did so on motorola's website.. the thing is, I don't see the droid mini listed as a device that can be unlocked, so I'm weary... that is, unless he unlocked it using the chinese man's method. He sent me a picture of the "bootloader unlocked" message on the phone and a TWRP screen on it as well...
Any thoughts? I'm really torn between getting this phone and the s4 mini, though the s4 mini costs a lot more it has a microsd card and I'm not sure if the droid mini's camera update a while back made it so its' camera is comparable to the s4 mini.
Anyway, please any reply could really save my bacon!
There is no way to unlock a droid mini from Motorola's website. The website only give you instructions on how to unlock once you have a code, but you have to get the code from somewhere else. I would just ask if the seller got it from the Chinese guy because he may just be trying to simplify things by just saying he got it from moto (since most people wouldn't know the difference anyways).

As far as photo shop, anyone can just come on XDA and find photos we all have taken and post one of those. You won't know until you get the phone if it's real or not. Risk you take buying phones second hand.

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
Tell him to send you a picture of the bootloader it will say unlocked status 3 and have him put something in the picture specific to you so he can't just download a screen shot. the only thing suspect is him saying he unlocked via moto site that is not possible. The mini didn't have a dev edition..