[ROM-DEV] 04/16/10 | Back from the dead | Coming soon

Search This thread

chuckhriczko

Inactive Recognized Developer
Does anyone else know what might be needed to be changed to get the CDMA radio fully working? I would love to get data working on this thing. Are they just files like RIL files or is it something built into the source code of the OS? I understand this kernel is 2.6.27 and the real 2.1 is 2.6.31. Could that be it?

N0J

Nov 9, 2009
Tx
Will someone can pull the power control widget from 2.1 and post it for me?
I want to see if it will work on a Fresh rom :D

N0J

Nov 9, 2009
Tx
didn't see power control, but gonna see if the usb mount app works

tvrvic

May 17, 2007
I have the Signal meter working and am able to send but not recieve text messages now, no luck on data yet. Unfortunately it now looks like the phone.app is hanging. I have to kill it via adb or the phone is useless. :(

I believe this file only contains the 1.5 wlan.ko with a modified build.prop using a lot of the 1.5 strings(mainly the hero200 and heroc lines).

So it looks like most of the CDMA support is in this build afterall.

minorsecond

Sep 19, 2009
I have the Signal meter working and am able to send but not recieve text messages now, no luck on data yet. Unfortunately it now looks like the phone.app is hanging. I have to kill it via adb or the phone is useless. :(

I believe this file only contains the 1.5 wlan.ko with a modified build.prop using a lot of the 1.5 strings(mainly the hero200 and heroc lines).

So it looks like most of the CDMA support is in this build afterall.

Good job! :) I don't know how you guys learned how to do all of this but you're brilliant

N0J

Nov 9, 2009
Tx
The MountUSB app works like a champ on Fresh's .6 rom :)

Nice work on the progress so far guys!!
Can't wait to see a working rom going..

N0J

Nov 9, 2009
Tx
This is awesome. I am so glad you guys are doing this. Flipz and Fresh are our saviors. :)

definatly...
I know got I excited as soon as Flip said he and others are working on it.

With what has been found in only a few hours, I wonder what we'll discover today :D

bkfist

Oct 27, 2009
[...] I'm not sure I understand why Android is so device specific. Is it the device drivers for individual hardware, the radio? Chip/CPU architecture?

Thank again for the work, I'll let you know what happens!

The reason is that the kernel is going to be compiles with *only* the drivers that are necessary for the specific hardware/radio systems. It keeps the kernel smaller, faster, and frees up more RAM for the system to run in.

Gentoo Linux is based on this principle. Although by default it will compile in the most common drivers when you build the kernel, once you get your feet wet and reallly want to start optimizing the system for absolute speed, you start stripping out *ever* driver and module that you don't use. My Gentoo server has only the bare necessities as far as drivers are concerned. Without re-configuring and re-compiling the kernel I can not mount anything except XFS and EXT4 file systems, not even ext2 and ext3. Only the network protocols that I need are supported, the only video driver on the system is for my Intel integrated graphics, and so on. It makes for a very lean and fast system.

Any phone manufacturer who includes code and drivers for hardware that is no on the specific platform is wasting resources on the phone. If you need GSM, there is no reason to include the CDMA code and so on, hence the reason only a few "common" pieces of hardware are working.

chuckhriczko

The reason is that the kernel is going to be compiles with *only* the drivers that are necessary for the specific hardware/radio systems. It keeps the kernel smaller, faster, and frees up more RAM for the system to run in.

Gentoo Linux is based on this principle. Although by default it will compile in the most common drivers when you build the kernel, once you get your feet wet and reallly want to start optimizing the system for absolute speed, you start stripping out *ever* driver and module that you don't use. My Gentoo server has only the bare necessities as far as drivers are concerned. Without re-configuring and re-compiling the kernel I can not mount anything except XFS and EXT4 file systems, not even ext2 and ext3. Only the network protocols that I need are supported, the only video driver on the system is for my Intel integrated graphics, and so on. It makes for a very lean and fast system.

Any phone manufacturer who includes code and drivers for hardware that is no on the specific platform is wasting resources on the phone. If you need GSM, there is no reason to include the CDMA code and so on, hence the reason only a few "common" pieces of hardware are working.

Ok. Good call. However, I believe it is safe to assume CDMA IS in this kernel. Otherwise it wouldnt be able to activate the radio and make calls, right? I have to say what makes most sense to me is that it has all the GSM dialogs and all that and is looking for the sim card. Any ideas?

toastcfh

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Ok I stayed up late messing with it. I got WiFi to work. But I see someone else figured that out already. Anyhow... I. Think maybe if we get rid of some of the files in/system/app and replace ithem with some of the ones from our roms. It may get the data or ayleast show service. I think though.... I tried pushing all the app folders contents to the phone just to see what the result would be. It was bad. Gonna try to sort out which ones we may need for cdma support. We need to see which ones enable gsm support. Again this is just an idea. Maybe someone. Can try it. I'm at work for the next 6 hours. So I gotta wait to try and tinker. Good luck...

chuckhriczko

Ok I stayed up late messing with it. I got WiFi to work. But I see someone else figured that out already. Anyhow... I. Think maybe if we get rid of some of the files in/system/app and replace ithem with some of the ones from our roms. It may get the data or ayleast show service. I think though.... I tried pushing all the app folders contents to the phone just to see what the result would be. It was bad. Gonna try to sort out which ones we may need for cdma support. We need to see which ones enable gsm support. Again this is just an idea. Maybe someone. Can try it. I'm at work for the next 6 hours. So I gotta wait to try and tinker. Good luck...

Ya know thats a good point. I know when I was building the Gutted rom I removed the OMADM.apk file and that completely disabled my CDMA radio. I will try some things and report back but someone else feel free to as well. I myself am at work so I cant guarantee I can do this quickly.

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
I wish I could help you guys in this, cooking roms is out of my realm though, sorry. However I am very curious as to how much preformance would take a hit if we were to include "drivers" for both the cdma and gsm version into our custom roms.

Exactly how hard would it be to make a universal hero rom if preformance wasn't specifically what was holding this back.

--------
start rant #not required reading
--------
When I first heard about android the end state vision *in my head* was a universal installer you could just point and click. I was very excited about how universal they made it sound.

Plug in your *random device here*, windows/linux/osx/chrome would find your device and install with the open sourced bits it needed (community built or maintained of course)

Rooting/hacking your device just to update an open source OS is not what open source is susposed to be all about. Hardware manufacturers should make their devices unbrickable with known good base ROM (true ROM... not just flash "rom") if fear of voided warranty is what keeps devices locked down as they currently are.

Updateing android shouldn't be nearly as hard as it is, with git being an ideal updater utility, updates should be painless and damn near daily.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the direction android is moving, I LOVE the community standing strong behind android and the entire "borg" aspect of it that all handsets will be assimilated into the collective. I just think the distribution method is just a little off currently. It seems as if the carriers and hardware manufacturers are still trying to do things "the old way" but still come off as being open and free... but the reality is only half true. I extremely hope this changes more in time.

.... resistance is futile
--------
end rant #thanks for listening
--------

toastcfh

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Also u may have to manually uninstall all the gsm stuff. Maybe reboot or even reset to factory. To get it to install the cdma stuff. Maybe adb install will work also. Again just some ideas. It may work. Or may not there isn't a lot of documentation one fingering or even build for cdma support. From what I've found androids cdma gsm setup is done through java. Hence maybe all we need is the correct apks and such...

flipzmode

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
I was able to get it to recognize on the Sprint network. And I could both send and receive texts. I didn't test sync but it did appear data was working as the setup was asking me to sync with google and facebook and everything. However it quickly slows to a halt and then won't wake up after sleeping. Seems like I've run in to a major memory leak.

Edit: It took a while to update but the debugger is recognizing the phone even when it's in this state. I only have 7mb of free memory. lol. 72% is taken up by "unknown" so yea. Something is eating it up. I'll continue to dig.

Last edited:

prodigy2m

Mar 19, 2008
Brooklyn
www.online2see.com
CDMA Radio help

Hey flipzmode,

I asked behnaam from GSM Hero 2.1 dev. to help with that. He is way ahead. Most of the stuff is working for him. I think if you send him a private message he will respond asap. I sent him a direct link to the CDMA 2.1 zip ... so he can take a look. You should talk to him I am sure he wouldn't mind helping. :)

chuckhriczko

I was able to get it to recognize on the Sprint network. And I could both send and receive texts. I didn't test sync but it did appear data was working as the setup was asking me to sync with google and facebook and everything. However it quickly slows to a halt and then won't wake up after sleeping. Seems like I've run in to a major memory leak.

Edit: It took a while to update but the debugger is recognizing the phone even when it's in this state. I only have 7mb of free memory. lol. 72% is taken up by "unknown" so yea. Something is eating it up. I'll continue to dig.

How did you get it to recognize the sprint network and get data to work?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    boot issue,

i had the same prob with the initaial install of 2.1 i booted into recovery then did a wipe again and installed it again and boot it worked maybe try that.
    sorry if its a waste of time,

FYI

my jammed at the HTC screen where the H then the T then the C all light up form left to right mine paused at the T so i knew somthing was up.

post bak if it works i want 2.1 damn it besides it being useless as a phone i liked it, it was dumb fast and i dunno a faw bat files to add apps well be good.
    sean