Diagnostic Mode

Search This thread

shiznit05

Jan 11, 2009
What do you mean diagnostics mode?

In Windows mobile you were able to use phone codes like ##3424# to put the phone in diagnostic mode so you could connect to the phone's programming menu with QPST.

My GPS has been really unreliable lately. My phone sees like 12 sats, but never gets a fix. I wanted to be able to tweak some settings to see if it would make a difference. I've installed Android to nand, and I don't want to have to re-install a WinMo ROM just to do that.

meknb

Nov 21, 2008
Merseyside
Does rtask c via mtty put your phone into diagnostic mode? I think you will need hard spl mfg for rtask commands.

hexto

Aug 13, 2008
Middletown, CT
In Windows mobile you were able to use phone codes like ##3424# to put the phone in diagnostic mode so you could connect to the phone's programming menu with QPST.

My GPS has been really unreliable lately. My phone sees like 12 sats, but never gets a fix. I wanted to be able to tweak some settings to see if it would make a difference. I've installed Android to nand, and I don't want to have to re-install a WinMo ROM just to do that.

you ever figure this out? don't ever want to use WinMo again

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
You are in luck because the other day I started to write an app for service programming. It doesn't do a lot but one of the things it does do is let you change all the same gps settings that qpst does.

Install the attached app and run it, it puts your phone in airplane mode and then uses diag commands to let you read and write the nv settings. Under gps settings you should see the raw numbers. It's not as easy as qpst (which you can still use by running rtask c) but it should do the job.

Don't mess with anything else because it probably won't work. Pressing menu will let you enter your msl but you don't need it for the gps settings.

Let us know which gps settings work for you.

Attachments

• sp.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 331

shiznit05

Jan 11, 2009
You are in luck because the other day I started to write an app for service programming. It doesn't do a lot but one of the things it does do is let you change all the same gps settings that qpst does.

Install the attached app and run it, it puts your phone in airplane mode and then uses diag commands to let you read and write the nv settings. Under gps settings you should see the raw numbers. It's not as easy as qpst (which you can still use by running rtask c) but it should do the job.

Don't mess with anything else because it probably won't work. Pressing menu will let you enter your msl but you don't need it for the gps settings.

Thanks. I'll try it out and let you know.

shiznit05

Jan 11, 2009

Can you give me a quick tutorial on this? I'm guessing where you have 0's, only numerical entries can be made. I'm assuming that 1 is on and 0 is off. For GPS Preferred Transport is IP 1 or 0? Also for Mobile vs PDE, is Mobile 0 and PDE 1?

Thanks.

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Can you give me a quick tutorial on this? I'm guessing where you have 0's, only numerical entries can be made. I'm assuming that 1 is on and 0 is off. For GPS Preferred Transport is IP 1 or 0? Also for Mobile vs PDE, is Mobile 0 and PDE 1?

Thanks.

I think 0 is ip and 0 is mobile, but can't be sure, the services field is an 8 bit number for the tick boxes on the left of the qpst page. I think the lockout field should be 1. I'd be interested to know what values you have.

daganb

Mar 19, 2009
A tad off topic but semi relevant.

I am eye'ing a new HTC Incredible when it is released in a few weeks on verizon, however I will not be using verizon's service. I need to know how I can update my PRL manually from android (verizon sets the SPL code to 000000 so it is technically "unlocked").

Reddog80p

Apr 10, 2009
Central California

I am eye'ing a new HTC Incredible when it is released in a few weeks on verizon, however I will not be using verizon's service. I need to know how I can update my PRL manually from android (verizon sets the SPL code to 000000 so it is technically "unlocked").

The incredible is nice. I've been waiting to see verizon's nexus colors. I'm not too wild about the solid red backing on the incredible tho.

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland

Probably best to do it from qpst, use mtty (or HTCFlasher) to put the spl into calibration mode with rtask c and then connect it to a windows box running qpst. In theory it's possible to update from within android but somebody would have to write the code.

shiznit05

Jan 11, 2009
I think 0 is ip and 0 is mobile, but can't be sure, the services field is an 8 bit number for the tick boxes on the left of the qpst page. I think the lockout field should be 1. I'd be interested to know what values you have.

My settings before I changed anything were as follows:

AGPS Capabilities: 1
AGPS Port: 8888
AGPS IP Address: 42AE5F84 (I did try changing this to 66.174.95.132, but it reverted back to 42AE5F84)
PDE Services Lockout: 0
GPS Preferred Transport: 0
Mobile vs PDE Based Position 0

I changed to the following:

PDE Services Lockout: 1
Mobile vs PDE Based Position 1

At these settings, my phone could see a few satellites, but never got a fix.

I changed to these settings:

.. I had basically the same results. Saw a few satellites, but no fix.

I'll keep playing with different combinations to see if I get lucky.

Thanks again.

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
My settings before I changed anything were as follows:

AGPS IP Address: 42AE5F84 (I did try changing this to 66.174.95.132, but it reverted back to 42AE5F84)

I changed to the following:

Mobile vs PDE Based Position 1

At these settings, my phone could see a few satellites, but never got a fix.

I changed to these settings:

.. I had basically the same results. Saw a few satellites, but no fix.

I'll keep playing with different combinations to see if I get lucky.

Thanks again.

42AE5F84 is 66.174.95.132 in hex so that should be OK.

AGPS Capabilities should be 255 to enable all the options i think. Without agps you may need to wait outside for about 10 mins to get the first fix. After this it should be faster.

br125

Jan 25, 2009
shiznit try these settings;

agps capabilities: 1 (edit: if dzo says 255 will enable all the options try that as well if 1 doesn't work)
agps port: 8889
agps ip address: 216.198.139.92
pde services lockout: ? (not sure what that is)
gps preferred transport: 0 (IP)
mobile vs pde based position: 0 (I've heard that both work, I use mobile)

I'm also on vzw and these are the telus settings that I've been using for a long time now since when I did the vzw agps fix using qpst...

Last edited:

shiznit05

Jan 11, 2009
42AE5F84 is 66.174.95.132 in hex so that should be OK.

AGPS Capabilities should be 255 to enable all the options i think. Without agps you may need to wait outside for about 10 mins to get the first fix. After this it should be faster.

I tried 255, wasn't able to get a lock

I went back to:

AGPS IP Address: 42AE5F84

..and things started working again. Go figure.

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
I tried 255, wasn't able to get a lock

I went back to:

AGPS IP Address: 42AE5F84

..and things started working again. Go figure.

How quickly do you get a lock, is it using agps?

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
How quickly do you get a lock, is it using agps?

My first 4 settings had all 0's, the last 2 were 1's. I've never done the aGPS fix. It generally takes me up to 2 mins to get a lock, longer if I've cleared the cache, etc. I'll test some settings and reply with what I find out.