A first step to unbricker??? DIAG Mode, but still no Dload.

Search This thread

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
I used to enjoy helping to unbrick Kaisers & I had half a dozen to play with, so I learned JTAGing with them, all about the OEMSBL, SPL & Radio Bootloader, working with Jocky in the development of the first mass unbricker for the MSMxxxx series devices, i.e. Frankenkaiser.

Since then the good folks at HTC have really locked things down, shutting the back doors that allowed us to sneak in & fix devices that previously were considered bricks fvor all time, unless you know a hell of a lot & have invested in a jtag box.

Recently I noticed that whenever you reset while holding the Volume up key, the device vibrates three time. After a few more key presses & some magic, I was able to get into DIAG mode, or so it appears using the Qualcomm Diagnostic tools.

I have still not been able to get into Dload mode, but from what I have seen makes me wonder... Just maybe good ole HTC left a back door once again that just maybe we can open & exploit.

I don't want anyone bricking there devices, so I am not going to get into all of the steps yet, but I will work with a few of the old timers to see just what is possible. This would be great, making unbricking possible for the Diamond, TouchPro & even the latest greatest releases, the TouchPro 2 & Diamond 2.

More as it's known.

BTW, for those of you noobies that are like I was & don't listen to warnings, don't be afraid if you hold the volume up key, get the three consecutive vibrations & then find you cannot restart your device. You can, but you must first remove the battery for a short time, then reinsert the battery & then soft reset. Voila, it will boot again. ;)

B4PJS

May 29, 2007
London
d wonder what those three vibes were all about. Half the time I go to flash my phone this happens as Im not paying attention to what I'm pressing!

Keep up the good work :)

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
Holding the "volume up" key and resetting doesn't do anything other than a normal boot on my Diamond...

?Glitch

Jun 5, 2006
Down Vol + RST = Serial Boot Loader.

RAPH110 (is a Fuze)
SPL-5.10.0000
MicroP-Raph (LED) v13
MicroP-Raph (KEY) v5
PSOC-Raph STAGE_CVT v0x36
PCBID 0x080
RID 0x0
Serial

Running latest release production ROM

Down Vol + OK + RST= Clear Storage Util.

Entry into serial boot loader flashes a screen that states "No Image File!", that bootstrap could be used for chipset diags or reflash depending on image file that is present on storage card on boot.

?Glitch

Last edited:
Ummm, I bricked mine awhile back. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Oh yeah, I remember reading your thread, sorry. We all brick phones, specially when we flash something we are not supposed to flash. Tip: always make sure your phone (or any hardware/electronic device you are flashing) a chip compatible with the ROM/firmware you are flashing. Sounds dumb, but I have fried things by ignoring this tip.

Anyways, isn't there a way to get all the official ROM's from HTC?
I know LG sells a subscription where you can download all firmwares for all their phones for any carrier. If there is something like that for HTC, maybe someone that has a subscription can help us out with this. I am interested in this, I will look more into this, as I may end up bricking my phone. I do stupid things often enough.

Back to the topic: I get the three vibes then nothing. What are we supposed to press after that? I have a Raph110 (AT&T Fuze)

viperbjk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2007
Munich
After a few more key presses & some magic, I was able to get into DIAG mode, or so it appears using the Qualcomm Diagnostic tools.

Yes, some prototypes had such a code. But they removed it from production devices. Also the device needed to be security unlocked to make it work.

What keys did you press ? Do you have a GSM or CDMA device ?

Cya,

Viper BJK