[Help] Unrooting Samsung Galaxy S3 urgent!

Search This thread

GS3User15

Jun 21, 2014
About a month ago I rooted my Galaxy S3 and tried to install CM11. Long story short it did not all work out well because Knox security would not let me install any root apps. And the rumor is that the Galaxy S3 is about to receive the new KitKat update and I would like to unroot the phone before the update arrives so that I can have a chance to install it. I have tried on my own by following some instructions from some websites but so far nothing seems to work. I downloaded the correct firmware from SamMobile and downloaded Odin. When I plug the phone in and start the Odin process everything seems to be going well until a big red "FAIL!" pops up. I'm hoping I don't damage my phone in the process, but so far it hasnt been bricked yet. Please, any help is appreciated. :(

thecoolster

Feb 10, 2014
Johannesburg
About a month ago I rooted my Galaxy S3 and tried to install CM11. Long story short it did not all work out well because Knox security would not let me install any root apps. And the rumor is that the Galaxy S3 is about to receive the new KitKat update and I would like to unroot the phone before the update arrives so that I can have a chance to install it. I have tried on my own by following some instructions from some websites but so far nothing seems to work. I downloaded the correct firmware from SamMobile and downloaded Odin. When I plug the phone in and start the Odin process everything seems to be going well until a big red "FAIL!" pops up. I'm hoping I don't damage my phone in the process, but so far it hasnt been bricked yet. Please, any help is appreciated. :(

Check out an app called universal unroot it worked for me........ Not sure if it works for Samsung devices

Here is the link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=universal+unroot

Here is some information :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2231096

Press the thanks button if I helped!!!!!!
I am sure it will work

Sent from my MIND using my BODY....(JUST KIDDING)

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Download the stock firmware, flash it with Odin, reboot to stock recovery and factory reset

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

thecoolster

Feb 10, 2014
Johannesburg

I guess u can update your device when the update comes u don't need to unroot.... The update will automatically unroot your phone....
If I am mistaken pls correct me thanks.....

Sent from my MIND using my BODY....(JUST KIDDING)

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
The best bet is to get that firmware to flash. You can try using an unroot option if all else fails (in the supersu app, just choose Full Unroot).

But if you want to try to get the firmware flashed, we need more info about what's happening. In particular, what model device, your current firmware version, the version you are trying to flash, where you got it from, and most importantly, what does Odin say when it fails? (Copy the text in your post)

GS3User15

Jun 21, 2014
The best bet is to get that firmware to flash. You can try using an unroot option if all else fails (in the supersu app, just choose Full Unroot).

But if you want to try to get the firmware flashed, we need more info about what's happening. In particular, what model device, your current firmware version, the version you are trying to flash, where you got it from, and most importantly, what does Odin say when it fails? (Copy the text in your post)

Okay, I'll get the text off Odin as soon as my phone charges to 80% or so. Should be about an hour or so.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Free mobile app

GS3User15

Jun 21, 2014
Okay so now for some reason Odin won't add the phone when its plugged in and in download mode. Maybe its because my battery charge wasn't at 80% or higher? Or could it be because I deleted the SuperSU file? And was it a bad idea to delet the file? Kinda frustrated cause I have no idea what's going on and why it won't unroot, I just want my phone back to normal...

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Okay so now for some reason Odin won't add the phone when its plugged in and in download mode. Maybe its because my battery charge wasn't at 80% or higher? Or could it be because I deleted the SuperSU file? And was it a bad idea to delet the file? Kinda frustrated cause I have no idea what's going on and why it won't unroot, I just want my phone back to normal...

Ive used odin with less than 20% battery...
Try installing supersu from the play store, then choose full unroot from the app.

daggorlad

Mar 8, 2013
Lexington, KY
Samsung Galaxy S20
I would but Samsung Knox security won't grant it permission. And I can't delete the stupid app.

Is your computer detecting your phone when you plug it in while in download mode? unplug it and plug it back in a few times to see if your computer detects/installs correctly giving a couple minutes before unplugging each time.

Once odin does detect your phone, be sure you have the correct firmware for your phone. If you have the T999, be sure to download the firmware for the T999, if you have the T999L download the firmware for that one... Check DocHoliday77's Firmware/OTA's post in the Android Development section for directions on flashing back to stock.

If you are adamant about the whole Knox thing, you can just flash the attached zip using a custom recovery to remove knox

Attachments

• DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0.zip
    942.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GS3User15

Jun 21, 2014
Is your computer detecting your phone when you plug it in while in download mode? unplug it and plug it back in a few times to see if your computer detects/installs correctly giving a couple minutes before unplugging each time.

Once odin does detect your phone, be sure you have the correct firmware for your phone. If you have the T999, be sure to download the firmware for the T999, if you have the T999L download the firmware for that one... Check DocHoliday77's Firmware/OTA's post in the Android Development section for directions on flashing back to stock.

If you are adamant about the whole Knox thing, you can just flash the attached zip using a custom recovery to remove knox

It was just recently that Odin refused to work. Before that it was working fine but if you read my first post there were still obstacles. It all seems to be going well until Odin just gives a big read "FAIL!" at the top. And around last year when I unrooted the same phone, I always got "md5 error" but that isn't the case right now. And I do have the right firmware downloaded from SamWire.com. Hoping you can help.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
If I missed it I apologize, but you still haven't answered several of the questions we've asked you. I'm only assuming you have the T999 model since it sounds like you're stock and its in your dad app Sig.... but what firmware are you on now? What build are you trying to flash? Can you copy the text output from odin after it fails? You say you think knox is blocking odin from running.....if this is the case its actually not knox (common mistake), but its not letting you downgrade due to the revision check, which is why I want to know your current firmware and the build you're trying to flash.

Without this information, the only things I can think to tell you are to try several usb cables (they do go bad, and many are only for charging), try each cable in every usb port on the computer (weird but its worked many times), or try this....

Check my Towelroot root thread in general section. Reroot the device with this method and after installing SuperSU, let it update the binary and disable Knox. Now try flashing in odin. If it doesn't work, try the full unroot option I mentioned earlier.

anil2653

It was just recently that Odin refused to work. Before that it was working fine but if you read my first post there were still obstacles. It all seems to be going well until Odin just gives a big read "FAIL!" at the top. And around last year when I unrooted the same phone, I always got "md5 error" but that isn't the case right now. And I do have the right firmware downloaded from SamWire.com. Hoping you can help.

Sometimes if Kies is running then also it fails so make sure Kies is not running in services or you can uninstall it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DocHoliday77

GS3User15

Jun 21, 2014
If I missed it I apologize, but you still haven't answered several of the questions we've asked you. I'm only assuming you have the T999 model since it sounds like you're stock and its in your dad app Sig.... but what firmware are you on now? What build are you trying to flash? Can you copy the text output from odin after it fails? You say you think knox is blocking odin from running.....if this is the case its actually not knox (common mistake), but its not letting you downgrade due to the revision check, which is why I want to know your current firmware and the build you're trying to flash.

Without this information, the only things I can think to tell you are to try several usb cables (they do go bad, and many are only for charging), try each cable in every usb port on the computer (weird but its worked many times), or try this....

Check my Towelroot root thread in general section. Reroot the device with this method and after installing SuperSU, let it update the binary and disable Knox. Now try flashing in odin. If it doesn't work, try the full unroot option I mentioned earlier.

Sort for neglecting to answer your questions. Just been stressed about this. But to answer some of your questions; Yes this is the Samsung SGH-T999 model running 4.3. And yes I am trying, and failing, to Unroot my phone by flashing a stock firmware from which I downloaded from SamWire.com. I'm trying to flash 4.1.1 or 4.0.1 (can't remember). And from there on I can upgrade to the newest, 4.3 jellybean or 4.4 KitKat if it is available. As for the Knox situation, I didn't say that it was blocking Odin. I just said that Knox was preventing any root apps to function. Every time I try to access the SuperSu app Knox prevents like "This app has tried to gain access to your phone. We have prevented it.". And so I was wondering if that was why I was having problems? Is this info good now? If you need more I can try and answer.

Reactions: DocHoliday77

daggorlad

Mar 8, 2013
Lexington, KY
Samsung Galaxy S20
Sort for neglecting to answer your questions. Just been stressed about this. But to answer some of your questions; Yes this is the Samsung SGH-T999 model running 4.3. And yes I am trying, and failing, to Unroot my phone by flashing a stock firmware from which I downloaded from SamWire.com. I'm trying to flash 4.1.1 or 4.0.1 (can't remember). And from there on I can upgrade to the newest, 4.3 jellybean or 4.4 KitKat if it is available. As for the Knox situation, I didn't say that it was blocking Odin. I just said that Knox was preventing any root apps to function. Every time I try to access the SuperSu app Knox prevents like "This app has tried to gain access to your phone. We have prevented it.". And so I was wondering if that was why I was having problems? Is this info good now? If you need more I can try and answer.

That is your problem, you cannot downgrade firmware once you have upgraded to 4.3. That still doesn't explain the Odin problem. That is most likely a cable issue as DocHoliday77 stated or a driver issue on your PC. check your device manager when you plug it in to see if your computer even detects it. If it gives the yellow triangle in your device manager on your PC, try uninstalling, then unplug your phone and plug it back in.

Reactions: GS3User15

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!

Thanks! This definitely helps! If you have previously updated to 4.3 firmware you cannot downgrade anymore. (Flashing older roms is ok, but not the full firmware). If you find a way to force the flash, it'll brick your phone.
So if your current firmware is MJC, you can only flash MJC or NC2 builds. If your current is NC2, then you can only flash NC2.

If you want to check for sure, install terminal emulator and enter this:

getprop to.bootloader

This will tell you your current firmware build.

If this still doesn't flash, let us know. But you could still try my other suggestions for rerooting and trying the full unroot again.
Sorry I misunderstood what you said about knox. Many people call the warranty bit part of a knox bootloader. This isn't entirely inaccurate, but can lead to some confusion, so I wasn't sure if that's what you were talking about.

Reactions: GS3User15

GS3User15

Jun 21, 2014
Thanks! This definitely helps! If you have previously updated to 4.3 firmware you cannot downgrade anymore. (Flashing older roms is ok, but not the full firmware). If you find a way to force the flash, it'll brick your phone.
So if your current firmware is MJC, you can only flash MJC or NC2 builds. If your current is NC2, then you can only flash NC2.

getprop to.bootloader

If this still doesn't flash, let us know. But you could still try my other suggestions for rerooting and trying the full unroot again.
Sorry I misunderstood what you said about knox. Many people call the warranty bit part of a knox bootloader. This isn't entirely inaccurate, but can lead to some confusion, so I wasn't sure if that's what you were talking about.

Okay. I'll download the 4.3 firmware. This is weird cause last time I unrooted, I did so while flashing a ln older version. Or maybe I was mistaken. I'll see what I can do with the new firmware and tell you guys how it turns out. Wish me luck! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sometimes if Kies is running then also it fails so make sure Kies is not running in services or you can uninstall it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

That is your problem, you cannot downgrade firmware once you have upgraded to 4.3. That still doesn't explain the Odin problem. That is most likely a cable issue as DocHoliday77 stated or a driver issue on your PC. check your device manager when you plug it in to see if your computer even detects it. If it gives the yellow triangle in your device manager on your PC, try uninstalling, then unplug your phone and plug it back in.

getprop to.bootloader

Okay. I'll download the 4.3 firmware. This is weird cause last time I unrooted, I did so while flashing a ln older version. Or maybe I was mistaken. I'll see what I can do with the new firmware and tell you guys how it turns out. Wish me luck! :)

Good Luck!

The inability to downgrade didn't become an issue until 4.3. So if you were on anything older when you last did so, it would've worked fine.