[Q] Samsung Galaxy S3 I747M not registered on network at low signal

Search This thread

bigmark1

Jul 11, 2014
I have a SGS3 I747M from Canada Fido and now using in Pakistan after network unlock. It does not register on GSM 2G/3G network whenever the 2G signal strength drops approximately below -70 dbm. It can neither make nor receive a 2G call

Things tried so far
tried all available modem drivers from XDA Forums
tried on stock Jelly Bean 4.3
tried on stock KitKat 4.4.2 (currently on it)
tried changing to airplane mode and back
tried change network mode to 'GSM Only'
tried signal boosters from android market

But nothing works.Only where signal is strong around -50 to -60 dbm it is able to connect to the network.

have tried it on two different operators Mobilik and Warid but result is same.

What can be done to fix it??

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
I have a SGS3 I747M from Canada Fido and now using in Pakistan after network unlock. It does not register on GSM 2G/3G network whenever the 2G signal strength drops approximately below -70 dbm. It can neither make nor receive a 2G call

Things tried so far
tried all available modem drivers from XDA Forums
tried on stock Jelly Bean 4.3
tried on stock KitKat 4.4.2 (currently on it)
tried changing to airplane mode and back
tried change network mode to 'GSM Only'
tried signal boosters from android market

But nothing works.Only where signal is strong around -50 to -60 dbm it is able to connect to the network.

have tried it on two different operators Mobilik and Warid but result is same.

What can be done to fix it??

I'm not so sure about this but perhaps the device doesn't have the right frequencies (being a Canadian variant).

That being said, You could try different baseband and modem. I'm not sure if will work but worth a shot.

bigmark1

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not so sure about this but perhaps the device doesn't have the right frequencies (being a Canadian variant).

That being said, You could try different baseband and modem. I'm not sure if will work but worth a shot.

I747m does support gsm 900/1800 which are supported in my region.

I have already tried all I747m modems available on xda forums but i guess these are all for canadian networks.

Can you suggest if i can use a modem for another s3 variant released for pakistan.

Would any custom rom/modem be able to fix this?
Problem is only when it detects weaker signal. Though other handsets connect comfortably in the same spot. If i move around a bit where signals improve, it connects and works fine
could there be a low signal threshold programmed in this device for power saving or something

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Only flash things that are for your device model. Flashing s different devices modem is a great way to hard brick.

Sorry im not sure about a solution. Just wanted to at least warn you against flashing a different modem.

Have you contacted your carrier to see if they might have any useful info for you?