[Discussion]HTC One S [S-OFF]

Search This thread

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com
What's the engineering hboot? And is there a flashable bootloader for 1.09 or lower?

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

I have a flashable 1.09 hboot image file that has the red disclaimer/watermark removed and also instead of saying *** TAMPERED *** it says *** HTC ONE ***. <2 spaces between the 2 words

Does that sound like something you want?

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
What's the engineering hboot? And is there a flashable bootloader for 1.09 or lower?

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

what ruu is 1.09 in?

an engineering hboot simply allows more fastboot commands. 99% of wich any of us will ever use. most users are really better off NOT messing with an old eng hboot. i bricked my one x after flashing an extremely old eng hboot. you never know what kind of checks the bootloader will do.

run the newest one that matched your firmware,IMO. if you want to fastboot flash or fastboot boot recoveries or boot images,keep it unlocked. you can lock it any time by flashing a zip file in recovery. :)

Reactions: k1llacanon

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com
Figured I'd just post it.

Attached below you will find my 1.09 hboot with red disclaimer/watermark removed. It is also modified to say *** HTC ONE *** instead of *** TAMPERED ***.

Chances are that if you're coming from another hboot version, you won't see the *** HTC ONE *** because flashing from one hboot to another will remove the *** TAMPERED *** banner from your bootloader screen as long as you are S-OFF.

Installation instructions:

• Place downloaded zip in whatever directory you have fastboot located. For me this is C:/Android
  • Reboot your phone into bootloader and make sure you see "Fastboot USB"
  • Enter command into command prompt: fastboot oem rebootRUU
  • Enter command into command prompt: fastboot flash zip PJ40IMG.zip
  • Wait for the progress bar to stop, and you see success in command prompt. The progress bar will not move all the way to the end but the command prompt on your PC will say success.
  • Enter command into command prompt: fastboot reboot-bootloader
  • Verify that the phone still boots into bootloader.
  • Enter command into command prompt: fastboot reboot or just navigate to reboot option in bootloader.
Red disclaimer/watermark should be gone from boot and you should now have the 1.09 hboot which allows for recoveries, radios and boots to be flashed from recovery.

ANYONE with S-OFF can follow this guide to lower your hboot from a 1.1x to 1.09.

DISCLAIMER

S-OFF IS REQUIRED, SUPERCID RECOMMENDED!!!

T
HIS GUIDE WORKED FOR ME WITHOUT ISSUE. IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY ONE OTHER AS WELL TO BE WORKING PERFECTLY AS WELL.

HAVING SAID THAT, THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT I AM GUARANTEEING THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU!!! FOLLOW THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I TAKE ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOUR PHONE MELTS, EXPLODES, GROWS WINGS AND FLIES AWAY OR JUST PLAIN BRICKS.

THIS WORKED FOR ME AND SHOULD WORK FOR YOU BUT UNDERSTAND THE RISK BEFORE FLASHING.

Zip is attached below.

Attachments

• PJ40IMG.zip
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reactions: juangil and Rampage

TheCrow1372

Mar 2, 2011
In a Dark Place
Not throwing a wrench into things but I find waaaaaayy too many people having issues, I don't think the One S is supposed to get S-Off and why would flashing a new ROM cancel out the S-Off??

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com
Not throwing a wrench into things but I find waaaaaayy too many people having issues, I don't think the One S is supposed to get S-Off and why would flashing a new ROM cancel out the S-Off??

Flashing a new ROM, even an RUU will NOT cancel your S-OFF.

And NO device is supposed to have S-OFF unless it's an engineering device. People are having issues because they are creating issues. If they learned how to properly use fastboot commands and the order of things needing to be done, they wouldn't have so many problems.

Just Thursday, I flashed an RUU to pull an older hboot version from it. This locked my bootloader, installed an old radio, stock recovery and old hboot.

Without ever even booting into Android or unlocking the bootloader, with clean OLD RUU installed, I was able to flash hboot back to my custom one, flash radio to latest, flash latest twrp, flash root to my device and then unlock with htc-dev all before booting back into Android only to turn around and wipe it all out restoring Viper ROM.

If I can do all of this, so can they. They just need to learn how and stop screwing up their phones.

TheCrow1372

Mar 2, 2011
In a Dark Place
Flashing a new ROM, even an RUU will NOT cancel your S-OFF.

And NO device is supposed to have S-OFF unless it's an engineering device. People are having issues because they are creating issues. If they learned how to properly use fastboot commands and the order of things needing to be done, they wouldn't have so many problems.

Just Thursday, I flashed an RUU to pull an older hboot version from it. This locked my bootloader, installed an old radio, stock recovery and old hboot.

Without ever even booting into Android or unlocking the bootloader, with clean OLD RUU installed, I was able to flash hboot back to my custom one, flash radio to latest, flash latest twrp, flash root to my device and then unlock with htc-dev all before booting back into Android only to turn around and wipe it all out restoring Viper ROM.

If I can do all of this, so can they. They just need to learn how and stop screwing up their phones.

People flashing the 2.1 version of Viper whom have done the S-Off procedure and it worked, have the S-Off not present afterwards so how did this happen?

Behold_this

Jul 15, 2011
Las Vegas
People flashing the 2.1 version of Viper whom have done the S-Off procedure and it worked, have the S-Off not present afterwards so how did this happen?

Show me one person that says they lost s off at all, let alone after flashing a ROM. There is only one way to lose s off and that is by writing the secure flag to 3. A command I will not write out here because somebody will issue it without the proper precautions and brick their phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rampage

TheCrow1372

Mar 2, 2011
In a Dark Place
Show me one person that says they lost s off at all, let alone after flashing a ROM. There is only one way to lose s off and that is by writing the secure flag to 3. A command I will not write out here because somebody will issue it without the proper precautions and brick their phone.

Not just him either so maybe some reading up in the Viper thread (no disrespect intended), it's just one off hand.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2105863

Behold_this

Jul 15, 2011
Las Vegas
Last edited:

TheCrow1372

Mar 2, 2011
In a Dark Place
Lmao, c'mon guy. the link you posted has nothing to do with s-off for one thing, simply links to the Viper 1s thread and for another thing nobody has lost s off. Looks like some reading is in order on your part;)

No matter how well it worked in the past: do NOT go about S-OFF'ing or Brick Downgrading your phone from a virtual machine. This simply is because the connections made in QDL mode are highly unstable and cannot be maintained well. It needs a very secure and proper cable connection with very reliable driver settings. This mainly applies to the Brick Downgrade which is using QDL Mode but not so much to S-OFF. However, the chances to mess something up from a VM are much higher simply because the connections have to run out of the VM into the physical layer and that always includes tricky code that can bug you. Without FULLY understanding how the connections are made and maintained, i would not even attempt to make it working. MUCH safer to go looking for a physical Win Machine you can use.
Sorry for the OT but i haven't seen you on our Beta Chat since like freaking ages.... Hope you're well though buddy.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

If you have some very good picture with loads of colors and edges and blurs, like some standardazid reference picture, you can see the BRAVIA impact on that picture before and after enabling BRAVIA. It is nothing u can actually actively "use". It is just making picture and video display on the phone screen better.
And regarding XLOUD: same for sound. Its just intended to increase volume and better up sound quality, however, that one i find quite useless, as most sound mods. If it was my ROM, i had not included it.
The Devs chose to not listen to my ranting in the Beta Chat though 

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

That just means you haven't found all bugs yet 

Some things most definitely do NOT work, like the Backlight brightness tweaks for instance.

[EDIT]
The two Devs tricked me while i was working all week, just figured tweaks changed again since i updated the DOC. Release has different tweaks than Beta.
Oh well... some job to do before i can continue trolling you here 

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com
Lmao, get out of here guy. the link you posted has nothing to do with s-off for one thing, simply links to the Viper 1s thread and for another thing nobody has lost s off. Looks like some reading is in order on your part;)
Agreed. The only way to get rid of S-Off is by writing the secure flag to 3.

NOT A SINGLE ROM ON XDA will do this to your phone. This is something you have to do on your own and it requires research on your part to figure out how.

A ROM is just a system image. Maybe a boot image if it's also included.

It is not possible in any way for a ROM to reset the secure flag to 3. PERIOD. Not even an RUU will do this. Trust me, I did it just this past Thursday.

I also changed 3 different hboot versions and still never lost S-Off.

Behold_this

Jul 15, 2011
Las Vegas
No matter how well it worked in the past: do NOT go about S-OFF'ing or Brick Downgrading your phone from a virtual machine. This simply is because the connections made in QDL mode are highly unstable and cannot be maintained well. It needs a very secure and proper cable connection with very reliable driver settings. This mainly applies to the Brick Downgrade which is using QDL Mode but not so much to S-OFF. However, the chances to mess something up from a VM are much higher simply because the connections have to run out of the VM into the physical layer and that always includes tricky code that can bug you. Without FULLY understanding how the connections are made and maintained, i would not even attempt to make it working. MUCH safer to go looking for a physical Win Machine you can use.
Sorry for the OT but i haven't seen you on our Beta Chat since like freaking ages.... Hope you're well though buddy.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

If you have some very good picture with loads of colors and edges and blurs, like some standardazid reference picture, you can see the BRAVIA impact on that picture before and after enabling BRAVIA. It is nothing u can actually actively "use". It is just making picture and video display on the phone screen better.
And regarding XLOUD: same for sound. Its just intended to increase volume and better up sound quality, however, that one i find quite useless, as most sound mods. If it was my ROM, i had not included it.
The Devs chose to not listen to my ranting in the Beta Chat though 

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

That just means you haven't found all bugs yet 

Some things most definitely do NOT work, like the Backlight brightness tweaks for instance.

[EDIT]
The two Devs tricked me while i was working all week, just figured tweaks changed again since i updated the DOC. Release has different tweaks than Beta.
Oh well... some job to do before i can continue trolling you here 

Again these quotes have nothing to do with s-off except for the first part of Sneaky's which simply says not to do it on a virtual machine . you are majorly confused

Reactions: dharvey4651

TheCrow1372

Mar 2, 2011
In a Dark Place
For those who had s-off w/1.14.005 hboot, do you encounter the black screen problem? Even a hard reboot still no good. just black screen. hope some1 can help

ok here what i encounter with 2 HOS phone. both are s-off. When flashing viperROM doesn't matter v2.0.0 or v2.1.0 it doesn't work. I think it's still need fastboot boot boot.img.

From a clean unlock bl and rooted (no rom ever flashed, pure ics tmobile stock), boot into twrp v2.1.0 or v2.0.0, full wipe, then flash ROM... flash successful then it reboot. HTC One S appear w/no red warming, and a few second it just black screen, even a hard reboot still no good. just black screen

The work-around that make it works was i flash Rom-Android_Sense_Best_Stock this first. Then phone reboot and see htc one s, i hold power and vol to go into BL, then i flash viperROM doing a full wipe in twrp. flash the ROM and it works.

Behold_this

Jul 15, 2011
Las Vegas
For those who had s-off w/1.14.005 hboot, do you encounter the black screen problem? Even a hard reboot still no good. just black screen. hope some1 can help

ok here what i encounter with 2 HOS phone. both are s-off. When flashing viperROM doesn't matter v2.0.0 or v2.1.0 it doesn't work. I think it's still need fastboot boot boot.img.

From a clean unlock bl and rooted (no rom ever flashed, pure ics tmobile stock), boot into twrp v2.1.0 or v2.0.0, full wipe, then flash ROM... flash successful then it reboot. HTC One S appear w/no red warming, and a few second it just black screen, even a hard reboot still no good. just black screen

The work-around that make it works was i flash Rom-Android_Sense_Best_Stock this first. Then phone reboot and see htc one s, i hold power and vol to go into BL, then i flash viperROM doing a full wipe in twrp. flash the ROM and it works.

The last thing I'm going to say on the matter, the reason sometimes you have to flash a boot image is because the script that flashes the rom doesn't do it on its own. Again this is not an issue with s-off.

Reactions: TheCrow1372

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com

The reason your phone is not booting has nothing to do with S-Off. You flashed a ROM from a full wipe with no boot kernel.

fastboot flash boot boot.img

That's what you need to do. As far as S-Off is concerned, you still cannot flash boot from recovery on higher hboots. This is an hboot limitation. Again, not an S-Off limitation.

Downgrade your hboot using my guide above and fastboot flash your boot.img. Once you do you'll be able to flash kernels, recoveries, radios and maybe some other stuff too. From recovery. Not fastboot unless HTC-Dev unlocked.

Keep in mind that the S-Off that we have is only as good as the hboot on your device and in our cases, it sucks because we don't have an engineering hboot.

Flash the ROM in recovery, reboot to bootloader, flash the boot.img with fastboot and enjoy the ROM. Again.. Not an S-Off issue so if you have issues with Viper ROM and it's not S-Off related, please... PLEEAASE take it to the Viper thread and stop with the off-topic nonsense.

Rant over...

blackwing182

Nov 21, 2010
Naranjito P.R
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9
@Behold sorry for (maybe) my confusion lol, still unsure if I'd go ahead with S-Off sorry but nice chat lol :thumbup::D;):beer:

i just s-off a ATT One X , HTC One S and a DNA, flashed venom to them, none lost s-off, and they are running better with team venom fw than the stock one :highfive:

Reactions: Behold_this

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
What?? You should not need an older hboot for recovery to flash boot with s off. If recovery is not flashing boot with s off,it may just be that Roms are not scripted to flash it.

I see a lot of confusion and misconceptions going on in this thread.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

blackwing182

Nov 21, 2010
Naranjito P.R
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9
What?? You should not need an older hboot for recovery to flash boot with s off. If recovery is not flashing boot with s off,it may just be that Roms are not scripted to flash it.

I see a lot of confusion and misconceptions going on in this thread.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

venom rom for one s, have ben not update to flash boot.img from recovery

Sent from my One S using Tapatalk 2

provaleriy

Aug 1, 2012
How to flash latest EU radio with S-OFF?

How to flash latest EU (1.11) radio with S-OFF? Where I can find zip?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    S-off is nearly release ready.

I need /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 from a qualcomm s3 variant, and a matching update.zip for each model that support is wanted for.
    Some of you guys are PM'ing me to help with S-OFF for the One S.

Will try to, when I get the One X done.
    Today we had a huge update.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1604300

Some of you with a USB Y-Cable should try to flash a .zip through sd-card.
    If that works, and I can modify a DIAG file, also for you S-OFF will come very fast.
    so now we know that s-off is not hardware related. a software is nedded to s-off , att HTC One XL confirmed that it can be s-off with that software, and since the att HTC One XL is almost the same phone as the HTC One S s4, S-off can be achived too.

i hope we get s-off soon but with patience :)
    Well, it's actually been confirmed that all modern HTC devices can use this exploit as long as they are running the S4, S3 or S4 pro processors. This even includes the dna and butterfly and likely the upcoming HTC One a.k.a. the M7. The exploit has not been released yet but has been shown to work, so sit tight and relax. If these devs are smart, and I know they are, they will not release the exploit until the One has been released so HTC cannot patch it.
    I have Riffbox now at home. Will make JIG for it, so until end of next week i could be ready.
    PS: I had S-OFF and tryed to get to S-Diag mode: But phone freezes and reboots into s-off.
    mmcblk0p23: "misc"
    mmcblk0p22: "recovery"
    mmcblk0p21: "boot"
    mmcblk0p33: "system"
    mmcblk0p30: "local"
    mmcblk0p34: "cache"
    mmcblk0p35: "userdata"
    mmcblk0p26: "devlog"
    mmcblk0p28: "pdata"
    mmcblk0p36: "fat"
    mmcblk0p31: "extra"
    mmcblk0p17: "radio"