What do you think the price will be?

Search This thread

Donny1987

Aug 15, 2009
On a Swedish web shop the following prices are released:

Microsoft Surface for Windows RT 32GB [RELEASE: Q4 2012] 1,017 USD / 827 EUR
Microsoft Surface for Windows RT 64GB [RELEASE: Q4 2012] 1,454 USD / 1,183 EUR
Microsoft Surface for Windows Pro 64GB [RELEASE: Q1 2013] 1,892 USD / 1,538 EUR
Microsoft Surface for Windows Pro 128GB [RELEASE: Q1 2013] 2,183 USD / 1,775 EUR

These prices have been calculated via Google: SEK -> USD / EUR

Source

Let's hope that Sweden is just expensive and the prices will be better in other countries :p

_RTFM_

Dec 6, 2010
On a Swedish web shop the following prices are released:

Microsoft Surface for Windows RT 32GB [RELEASE: Q4 2012] 1,017 USD / 827 EUR
Microsoft Surface for Windows RT 64GB [RELEASE: Q4 2012] 1,454 USD / 1,183 EUR
Microsoft Surface for Windows Pro 64GB [RELEASE: Q1 2013] 1,892 USD / 1,538 EUR
Microsoft Surface for Windows Pro 128GB [RELEASE: Q1 2013] 2,183 USD / 1,775 EUR

These prices have been calculated via Google: SEK -> USD / EUR

Source

Let's hope that Sweden is just expensive and the prices will be better in other countries :p

Those prices are incorrect. Thankfully.

nbates66

Apr 2, 2011
Launceston
Reactions: sohamssd

Wupideedoo

Jan 17, 2007
I know that the base model iPad is only 16GB while the base model Surface for Windows RT is 32GB, but that is nearly irrelevant. What normal people will see is the barrier of entry. Why should I get a Surface for $500 when for the same price I can get an iPad, which is already well established as a product, especially when all of my friends have iPads and as an average consumer the vast majority of my purchasing decisions are influenced by my social circle?

Also, the profit margins on the iPads are so high that if Apple wanted to come out with the iPad 4 for $400, they easily could. They could probably do it with the same 32GB of storage too.

So I would say it needs to be cheaper than the iPad, but then that gets dangerous. If it is too cheap, not only will Microsoft justify the hardware partners concerns, but you also trivialize your product. If it is sold cheaply, it is viewed as a low quality object.

I think the pricing needs to look like this:

Surface RT 32GB - $449
Surface RT 64GB - $549

Surface 8 Pro 64GB - $749
Surface 8 Pro 128GB - $849

phailyoor

May 17, 2012
www.hiddencreeksoftware.com
I estimate RT to be around $400 to $500. That's way too much considering that Surface RT is mostly worse than the iPad, even if it comes with more Office and more SSD space.

Surface pro will probably be inline with/slightly over current ultrabooks. Probably $700-$1000. Not too bad imo.

icecreame

Apr 5, 2012
Agadir
www.yamaweb.com
I know that the base model iPad is only 16GB while the base model Surface for Windows RT is 32GB, but that is nearly irrelevant. What normal people will see is the barrier of entry. Why should I get a Surface for $500 when for the same price I can get an iPad, which is already well established as a product, especially when all of my friends have iPads and as an average consumer the vast majority of my purchasing decisions are influenced by my social circle?

Also, the profit margins on the iPads are so high that if Apple wanted to come out with the iPad 4 for $400, they easily could. They could probably do it with the same 32GB of storage too.

So I would say it needs to be cheaper than the iPad, but then that gets dangerous. If it is too cheap, not only will Microsoft justify the hardware partners concerns, but you also trivialize your product. If it is sold cheaply, it is viewed as a low quality object.

I think the pricing needs to look like this:

Surface RT 32GB - $449
Surface RT 64GB - $549

Surface 8 Pro 64GB - $749
Surface 8 Pro 128GB - $849

nexus 7 with that super gpu and quad core cpu is so cheap, and noone think it's low quality. lack of options but not low quality at all. and the fact that people aren't independent in their choice is the happiness of this companies, u buy an ipad cuz u see everybody else with ipad. but u forget that surface is just a laptop with touch screen and disconnectable keyboard, whitch is so awesome to me it have usb port too. can u connect a pendrive to any other tablet ? no! surface is the only one now to have that. so surface with ipad price : totally worth it

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

Ballmer said that the prices will be competitive with other tablets (Surface "RT" is a premium one) and ultrabooks (mainstream ultrabooks usually have i5 processors, but that screen shall be expensive) so I think that:
Surface RT = US$500,00 - just to catch up with the iPad, frankly the only successful premium tablet on the market
Surface i5 = US$1000,00 - A little higher than other Windows ultrabooks, because of the better screen and casing

Nothing is official yet on the price points, but what the talk is, the prices should look similar to:

Surface RT starting at $399 (32GB)
Surface Pro starting at $699 (64GB) (the Pro is the one with the i5 processor)

You can see the storage breakdown here:

surface_specs.png

This is NOT counting the RAM in the machines, this is pure storage space that will be housed on integrated SSD drives.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/global/surface/en/us/renderingassets/surfacespecsheet.pdf

Shawn

Aug 26, 2012
Louisville
RT $400-600
i5 $800-1000
I'm getting the i5 for sure.
sent from my captivate glide running ICS (NardROM 0.4 Rooted)

Greywolf_Ghost

Nov 11, 2009
Guelph
www.facebook.com

epagib

Aug 25, 2012
Tough decision for Microsoft. They are starting waaaay behind and trying to catch up.

If they sell Surface for a profit ($450 plus) no one is going to buy. IPad mini anyone?

If they subsidize the surface rt and sell them for cheap (less than $300) then its going to piss off HP and Dell and Levono, etc. But much more people are going to buy = faster adoption of win8. Remember the fire-sale for HP webos tablet? It was sold out nationwide less than a day! Hell i tried to get one but couldnt!

If it was me, I would sell Surface RT for cheap. Would lead to much faster adoption of win8 and force 3rd party PC vendors to innovate better.

Win8 needs to be successful for microsoft to stay relevant. Lots of sales for Surface would be a good start. Ballmer, you listening??!!

Sent from a SYNERGIZED GalaxySIII

Greywolf_Ghost

Nov 11, 2009
Guelph
www.facebook.com
I think Microsoft could have run the RT version a little bit better. Right now there is wild guesses as to price, and they could end up with hardware vendors more then a little mad, and holding hardware that will not sell.

The inside guts of the Surface should have been set as standard. Much like Windows Phone. All Tablets would on the inside be the same. The only change between them is the case.

That way Microsoft could have talked terms with Hardware parts supply, then split it between the ones they picked to build Surface Tablets. This way keeping price down.

Each PC Maker could then cut a deal with their Plastics supply to make a cheaper outer case.

Right now Asus, Dell and who ever else has developed their own process, which will reflect in it's price.

So if Microsoft slashes the price of their device, other RT devices will not sell. Unless Asus, Dell take a big bath to also cut price.

The ideal way.....

Microsoft offers the only version of RT (sub contracted out to other makers for supply reason), and the PC makers handle the Pro versions.

This way Microsoft sets the price on RT, and the market will settle the Pro version.

ka-la

Aug 22, 2012
That looks like a site that is alot like the Win the iPad crap.

I find it strange they would know the price before Microsoft has gone on record.

Samsung has already gone on record and their RT version is 550 (GBP)

Convert that to US or CDN and it will be over $1000.

usually they dont convery with the currency. So I'd say that if the Samsung costs 550£ then it would cost something like 599/699 in us. Goods in UK are more expensive. For example: the new ipad costs 400£ in UK which would be a bit over 600$

Also there is nothing wrong with the site, its the site who makes these "dummies" books you can pick up in book store. It's just they give away a surface with a guide to surface and windows 8

Last edited:

tayfelix

Jun 6, 2009
Uk prices are with VAT. Is it taxes? Zzz eying for a surface RT.. Hope it cost below 600.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I REALLY HOPE that i5 model is $1000, it looks neat on paper, it is competitive with air and other ultrabooks. I mean i REALLY dig the PEN INPUT!! I am gonna love doing some art stuff on this and waste a **** load of time.
    Stealing from revxx14's good work, here's my guesses:

Surface for Windows RT:
    • 32GB: $499
    • 64GB: $599

Surface for Windows 8 Pro:
    • 64GB: $899
    • 128GB: $1099

Accessories:
    • Touch Cover: $75
    • Type Cover: $100
    • Pen: Included in Purchase Price

I just have a sinking feeling that MS will feel the Office connection will demand an unwarranted premium over comparable iPad, and I sure hope I am wrong. I can't see them going under $1000 on the high end Win 8 configuration, but given the discounts they often run on the Microsoft Store, the $1099 retail will be "discounted" to $999 and make them feel good about themselves.

I truly hope that revxx14 is more close to the truth than I am for both MS's sake and our own.[/QUOTE]
    To answer the previous question about cooling, the Surface Pro has a small gap that goes all the way around the device. The gap creates a air space around the components to allow cooling in 360 degrees which cannot be blocked no matter how you're holding the device. Unless you plan on hugging the device, which may be the case for many, it should have rather adequate cooling for the components it contains. The Surface RT is reported not to have this gap, which accounts for the reasoning why it is slightly thinner, and the amount of cooling is not necessary.

As for the price aspect, it all depends on the release date. It will be structured around a competitive price for other tablets (for RT) and ultrabooks (for Pro) of similar specs.

Right now, tablets prices range greatly. All the way from the ridiculously priced iPad, to the budget Kindle Fire. Soon, Google will be announcing the release of the Nexus tablet, and I expect Microsoft to gauge prices of the RT version around it.

32gig RT ~$299
    64gig RT ~$399

Right now, ultrabooks are around the $950 range. I expect this to drop quite a bit before release of the Pro version.

64gig Pro ~$649
    128gig Pro ~$799

Accessories:

Pen ~$29
    Touch Cover ~$49
    Type Cover ~$59

I'm planning on getting the 128gig Pro with the touch cover. I will mainly use it for medical school purposes. With the pressure sensitivity, I feel as if I can quickly match my typing speeds of a normal keyboard and also eliminate the clickity noise that would distract myself and other students from the lecture.

Although Microsoft is not aiming to tackle the iPad with this device, it will be a competitor. Apple has its die hard users -- just as any company. Microsoft is aiming to give their preferred users a nice tablet (RT).

I do believe they are aiming at raising the competition of ultrabooks with the Pro version.

Just my two cents. I'm really looking forward to this tablet. I will admit, I am an
    Android fanboy, but what I dislike about Android is the turn-over rate. If W8 and WP8 live up to what they are advertising, I will more than likely be buying a WPhone as well to fully integrate myself into the new Metro experience.
    Lol at people throwing around cheap prices. How in the world would Surface RT be around $300? Let's see, the Nexus 7 is $250 for 16 GB, and the Surface is: larger, has a much higher resolution display, uses what are likely to be more expensive build materials, and has more storage (these things at the least, its other specs probably also greatly exceed those of the Nexus 7). The RT is more comparable to top of the line Android tablets that are around $500. I say RT will be around $500 and Pro will be at least $800, possibly hitting $1k for a fully specd Pro.

Sent from my Sensation using xda app-developers app
    At least I provided a source, what is your source? :confused:

i believe that price matches a source I heard about that had essentially made-up high prices for their own benefit.
    can't find relevant link atm yet though sorry.

EDIT: found

http://www.binlogs.com/rumor-microsoft-surface-tablet-priced-1000/

But now that Swedish Website Webhallen has confirmed those were just practices to lure customers.