Ringtone/notification serious problems

Search This thread

curioct

Jan 12, 2011
First let me start by saying I'm by no means new to sgs phones this is my fourth.

I collected it Friday rooted it in the car park within the first minute, remapped the keys (what were they thinking with the menu thing) within the first hour etc etc

So all that said I am a little embarrassed by this.

I can't seem to set mp3's as default ringtones or notification tones.

I have copied the files into both the ringtones and notifications folders.

They are the same mp3 files I have used for all my sgs phones and they all play in the default music player but only one appears in the music lists. I can select this as a default but have no idea why that appears in the lists and none of the others do and I have no idea why. I've looked at files sizes, permissions, id3 tags everything I can think of to determine the difference between that file and the others.

I've tried various selection options but anything other than the default media selector appears to work but at the final stage the tone is selected as silent.

Funny thing is I can individually select them on a per contact basis but this would take forever. Even the usually reliable group ringtone app has let me down

I even tried copying the files into the system/media folders still no dice :confused:

Any ideas anyone?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

RakumiAzuri

Apr 22, 2011
First let me start by saying I'm by no means new to sgs phones this is my fourth.

I collected it Friday rooted it in the car park within the first minute, remapped the keys (what were they thinking with the menu thing) within the first hour etc etc

So all that said I am a little embarrassed by this.

I can't seem to set mp3's as default ringtones or notification tones.

I have copied the files into both the ringtones and notifications folders.

They are the same mp3 files I have used for all my sgs phones and they all play in the default music player but only one appears in the music lists. I can select this as a default but have no idea why that appears in the lists and none of the others do and I have no idea why. I've looked at files sizes, permissions, id3 tags everything I can think of to determine the difference between that file and the others.

I've tried various selection options but anything other than the default media selector appears to work but at the final stage the tone is selected as silent.

Funny thing is I can individually select them on a per contact basis but this would take forever. Even the usually reliable group ringtone app has let me down

I even tried copying the files into the system/media folders still no dice :confused:

Any ideas anyone?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

Set them using estrong's File Explorer. When you have the mp3 long press and do "set as". That will cover your ringtone. Then when you go to pick the notification pick "estrong's" instead of Android system.

curioct

Jan 12, 2011
Yeah that didnt work, no matter what I did I couldnt get them to be recognised by the internal music player and therefore they were not selectable. Still have no idea why.

However I managed to redownload the ones I wanted the most and use the new versions so I am guessing something in my ringtones folder has some level of corruption or something along those lines

but the workaround is working so no major hassle just a tad annoying not knowing what the issue actually is

X

xtechx

Maybe its because of the length of them. I'm using MP3 for all my tones. But I cut out 30-35 seconds for ringtones, usually my favourite part of a song... My text tones are from CM/Carbon..

This was on shipping firmware, the OTA update and any custom ROM I've been on. At first I put them in their respective directory on the internal storage, but now on custom ROM I just have a custom flash able zip to put them in the proper system folders..

Edit: this method may allow them to show in the settings menu. That's where I like my ringtones showing..

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Last edited: