4.3 OTA ML2 Root Method!

Search This thread

meraz9000

Oct 7, 2011
Ok, thats what I used. So I flashed the leaked version. Now that step is done, what is the better way to root, safe-root or v-root? I have tried v-root several times with no luck. When V-root starts, my phone says that it has blocked unauthorized access, but I let V-root finish, but still no root. I have not tried safe-root yet. Is there a big difference in the methods?

Both use the same exploit. This method is only if you took the official OTA ML2. If you have MI2 which is the leak you dont need to use any of this at all. It is common to see those unauthorized access messages when rooting. Just ignore them and keep going.

Astrus

Mar 2, 2014
New ulm, Minnesota
Both use the same exploit. This method is only if you took the official OTA ML2. If you have MI2 which is the leak you dont need to use any of this at all. It is common to see those unauthorized access messages when rooting. Just ignore them and keep going.

My phone said ML2 so I'm pretty sure I took the official OTA. I think I have done everything right so far. I have a program called root checker, its saying I don't have root. Will it be rooted once I flash the ML2 kernal?

Last edited:

Astrus

Mar 2, 2014
New ulm, Minnesota
My phone said ML2 so I'm pretty sure I took the official OTA. I think I have done everything right so far. I have a program called root checker, its saying I don't have root. Will it be rooted once I flash the ML2 kernal?

I actually tried flashing the ML2 kernal, still says no root on rootchecker, and I tried to use supersu and it said I didn't have root access.

Last edited:

jkeuclid

Mar 19, 2014
U have to use the mi2

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Sunderwear, how do I get TWRP installed on my rooted SGH-i537, via Safestrap? All is running great since root and have Safestrap 3.71 installed. I was wondering about that screen shot 3rd pic on the bottom of your 1st post, thank you.

jkeuclid

Mar 19, 2014
What is the exact file name for SS that is appropriate for this phone? It seems I may have the wrong version installed, this is the one I have:

Safestrap-JFLTEATT-3.71.apk

nvm, think I found it here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448942

Ok I downloaded this file form the OP:

Safestrap-JFLTEATT-ACTIVE-3.65.apk

installed and rebooted, still showing as "Not installed" in SS what is going on?

Last edited:

Miami_Son

Feb 4, 2009
Hurricane Country
I actually tried flashing the ML2 kernal, still says no root on rootchecker, and I tried to use supersu and it said I didn't have root access.

All these problems are because you didn't take the time to read and understand before doing this. If you had the OTA version you would know it because you would have had to download it to the phone when you got the notification. It sounds like you are working with the MI2 version, which is the leaked version and is not what this thread is for. Instead of wasting space in this thread for a version it was not designed for please do some searching and find the right procedure for your version. The root process for MI2 is completely different and by continuing to post in here you are just confusing the two.

Astrus

Mar 2, 2014
New ulm, Minnesota
All these problems are because you didn't take the time to read and understand before doing this. If you had the OTA version you would know it because you would have had to download it to the phone when you got the notification. It sounds like you are working with the MI2 version, which is the leaked version and is not what this thread is for. Instead of wasting space in this thread for a version it was not designed for please do some searching and find the right procedure for your version. The root process for MI2 is completely different and by continuing to post in here you are just confusing the two.

I am not working with MI2. I have ML2 but I flashed it to MI2 like the directions said, and cannot make any progress from there. I can't get past the part where you actually root the phone. V-root is not working for me, I'm gonna try Safe-root on my sisters computer tomorrow, mine is having issues. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, sorry for the miscommunication Miami.

jkeuclid

Mar 19, 2014
Just a follow-up to my problem with Safestrap not installing the recovery, I installed root checker pro and took these screen shots and hope someone who knows safestrap well can help me out here...

Miami_Son

Feb 4, 2009
Hurricane Country
I am not working with MI2. I have ML2 but I flashed it to MI2 like the directions said, and cannot make any progress from there. I can't get past the part where you actually root the phone. V-root is not working for me, I'm gonna try Safe-root on my sisters computer tomorrow, mine is having issues. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, sorry for the miscommunication Miami.

From the OP of this thread: Hello there fellow XDA peeps. I figured out the way to root the OFFICIAL OTA 4.3 Update. Build Number UCUBML2.

This has nothing to do with MI2 and there is no step mentioned that includes anything from MI2. Whatever you've done to your phone, it was not in these instructions. I suggest you go to the MI2 (4.3 leak) thread and look for a solution there as it is not to be found in this thread and all you're doing is confusing the issue for others.

Astrus

Mar 2, 2014
New ulm, Minnesota
From the OP of this thread: Hello there fellow XDA peeps. I figured out the way to root the OFFICIAL OTA 4.3 Update. Build Number UCUBML2.

This has nothing to do with MI2 and there is no step mentioned that includes anything from MI2. Whatever you've done to your phone, it was not in these instructions. I suggest you go to the MI2 (4.3 leak) thread and look for a solution there as it is not to be found in this thread and all you're doing is confusing the issue for others.

"1. Download the the following file http://www.mediafire.com/download/x4...kernel.tar.md5 and flash it with odin under PDA. I pulled the boot.img from the 4.3 leak and as we all know it is vulnerable to saferoot and other root method around."

He says that he pulled the boot.img from the 4.3 leak because it can be safe-rooted, ok well I flashed whatever is in that download link. I started out with ML2 (I537UCUBML2 in phone info). Sorry for confusing you. I'm new to this, but I think I'm following step one correctly. The next step is to actually root the phone with v-root or saferoot, which I am having difficulties with. The last step is to flash back to the ML2 kernal. Please do not insult my intelligence, dismiss me as a fool, and send me to a MI2 thread when my phone is ML2. If there is a moderator that thinks I need to be in another thread, please let me know. I am flashed back to ML2 still no root. I will be trying all this again later today.

Last edited:

Unfortunately I think you don't understand how this root method works. Yes, the first step is to flash the ML2 Odin package, but the second step is to flash the pwned kernel. The owned kernel is a modified MI2 kernel that can be rooted. After rooting, the final step is to flash the original ML2 kernel again.

So there are two points to make in response to your comments:
1. This does indeed have a lot too do with MI2.
2. If he's still has the pwned kernel on his phone then he definitely does have MI2.

Please don't chastise users on this forum who are seeking help, they are trying to learn just like you did at one point. Maybe just point them in the right direction and let them figure things out.

Miami_Son

Feb 4, 2009
Hurricane Country

Can you see why I might have reacted the way I did? If you flashed the ML2 kernel then you did NOT follow the directions properly. Everything about your posts is confusing and the main reason I can see for your problems is because you just joined here and jumped right into flashing your phone without completely understanding what you were doing. Yes, Devo, I was new in here once, but even then I found out (was told) quickly that this is not the XXX phone help desk, it is a repository of information that you use at your own risk. No one in here is paid to be here and expecting that anyone will solve your issues, especially when they appear to be from a lack of taking time to read before doing, is an abuse of the kind nature of those who do offer to help. This was understood and made clear in the Captive forum and the S2 forum. Not sure why it is tolerated in here when we have so few knowledgeable people in here compared to other forums with much more dev support. Whatever. The problem this user is having is his own fault and he should start a thread in Q&A rather than muck up a very informative and worthwhile thread looking for answers that have nothing to do with the intent of this thread. If it were a problem with the process, I'd feel differently, of course, but it isn't.

jkeuclid

Mar 19, 2014
So I've been thinking, I'd like to take the OTA 4.4 when available so I'm curious as to how does one go about reversing the process in this thread? I rooted successfully with the method outlines here with a lot of help many, I'm running many root apps and have gained a lot of experience with them but I've recently had issues with Safestrap and with the OTA 4.4 coming soon, I'd like to not only try the 4.4 but start over from scratch once 4.4 is rootable.

Re: TiBU, do we unfreeze all the apps that we froze, then uninstall the app? Do we necessarily reset the phone in the end?

So I've been thinking, I'd like to take the OTA 4.4 when available so I'm curious as to how does one go about reversing the process in this thread? I rooted successfully with the method outlines here with a lot of help many, I'm running many root apps and have gained a lot of experience with them but I've recently had issues with Safestrap and with the OTA 4.4 coming soon, I'd like to not only try the 4.4 but start over from scratch once 4.4 is rootable.

Re: TiBU, do we unfreeze all the apps that we froze, then uninstall the app? Do we necessarily reset the phone in the end?

You're going to run into the same problems that people ran into when trying to update to the 4.3 OTA, you can't. Previously the only way to update to ML2 after having rooted 4.2.2 was to flash the Odin package. I have no reason to think the 4.4 update process would be any different.

Astrus

Mar 2, 2014
New ulm, Minnesota
Can you see why I might have reacted the way I did? If you flashed the ML2 kernel then you did NOT follow the directions properly. Everything about your posts is confusing and the main reason I can see for your problems is because you just joined here and jumped right into flashing your phone without completely understanding what you were doing. Yes, Devo, I was new in here once, but even then I found out (was told) quickly that this is not the XXX phone help desk, it is a repository of information that you use at your own risk. No one in here is paid to be here and expecting that anyone will solve your issues, especially when they appear to be from a lack of taking time to read before doing, is an abuse of the kind nature of those who do offer to help. This was understood and made clear in the Captive forum and the S2 forum. Not sure why it is tolerated in here when we have so few knowledgeable people in here compared to other forums with much more dev support. Whatever. The problem this user is having is his own fault and he should start a thread in Q&A rather than muck up a very informative and worthwhile thread looking for answers that have nothing to do with the intent of this thread. If it were a problem with the process, I'd feel differently, of course, but it isn't.

Lol, you don't understand, my phone is working fine still, I have not caused any type of damage to it. It's back to the way it was before I tried this. I knew the risks before trying this. I guess I'm trying to say I'm not stupid, just new to smart phones. I'm pretty computer savvy and I know how to follow directions. Forum's are for communicating, and if someone does not wish to help me, that's fine. Anyways, I think you need to re-read step 3 Miami.

"3. Because this is an older kernel, wifi and some other stuff dont work but dont panic. Flash the next file https://www.mediafire.com/?08j1wqn0x7igjq0 with odin under PDA . This is the stock ML2 kernel."

So yes, you do flash the ML2 kernal.

I am basically back where I started, but without root. I was trying to see if anyone had similar issues as me.

jkeuclid

Mar 19, 2014
You're going to run into the same problems that people ran into when trying to update to the 4.3 OTA, you can't. Previously the only way to update to ML2 after having rooted 4.2.2 was to flash the Odin package. I have no reason to think the 4.4 update process would be any different.
Thanks for the reply Devo, one reason I wanted to go back was to retrace my steps and see if I made a mistake somewhere that prevents Safestrap from installing, really want to get this figured out.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello there fellow XDA peeps. I figured out the way to root the OFFICIAL OTA 4.3 Update. Build Number UCUBML2.

1. Download the the following file http://www.mediafire.com/download/x4n952wzyr3eobd/pwnedkernel.tar.md5 and flash it with odin under PDA. I pulled the boot.img from the 4.3 leak and as we all know it is vulnerable to saferoot and other root method around.

2. After phone reboots enable USB debugging mode try using saferoot or Vroot..google it... it will work .

3. Because this is an older kernel, wifi and some other stuff dont work but dont panic. Flash the next file https://www.mediafire.com/?08j1wqn0x7igjq0 with odin under PDA . This is the stock ML2 kernel.

4. After phone reboots launch Supersu and allow the binary to get updated. Also disable that pesky Knox :laugh:

5 .???

6. Profit. Enjoy your rooted apps and safestrap :good::good:

P.S. I have the 4.2.2 modem because I had to repair the imei of the phone..but just ignore it. and again enjoy

Credits to all the people that came up with the kernel exploits like Saferoot etc.
    I guess I only partially answered your question, so I'll go through your post line by line to make sure I convey what I was unable to last time.

So you prefer a rooted 4.3 rather than an official AT&T 4.4? I thought 4.4 had improvements over 4.3.
    I don't think it's a matter of preference for people whether they choose 4.3 or 4.4, on some phones 4.4 just flat out doesn't work so they are forced to use 4.3 if they want a working phone.

I assume you will upgrade to official 4.4 OTA after you find how to root it, correct? AND I assume you downgraded to 4.3 because root provides you with more flexible choices as to how and what your phone runs.
    As I tried to say in my previous post, the 4.4 OTA was released on April 16 and subsequently pulled by AT&T on April 19 due to bugs. This OTA was captured and anybody who wants update to 4.4 manually is able to do so. Additionally root has been achieved on 4.4 and there are many people who are running rooted 4.4.2 right now. You can find more information on downloading and rooting the 4.4.2 update in the i537 Firmware Thread. So it's not so much that 4.3 provides more flexibility (both 4.3 and 4.4 have been rooted), but the fact that on some phones 4.4 doesn't work properly.

I'm 63 and haven't ever had a smartphone except for the last two weeks or so, and I bricked a rooted 4.2.2, then I had to bring it back to AT&T to resurrect it to their official AT&T 4.3. I'm both enthusiastic about rooting my official 4.3 on my I537, but am afraid that (because of my android inexperience) I'll have to drag it back to AT&T to fix it a second time. Such a plethora of rooted tweaking information makes tweaking choices a very chancy business for me.
    It sucks that you bricked your phone, but for future reference you can always flash the 4.3 ML2 Odin package and it should save your phone. Again you can find links to more information about ML2 and the Odin packages in the i537 Firmware Thread. If you're worried about bricking your phone after rooting, I would suggest looking into SafeStrap. To summarize what it does, it basically creates a second ROM on your phone that is independent of your original (stock) ROM. This way you can mess with your second ROM and do pretty much anything you want to it, even completely corrupt it, and you'll still be able to fall back to your working stock ROM and still have a working phone. It's a really great alternative to having a locked phone and not being able to flash custom ROMs. I would do a bit of research about SafeStrap, how to use it and how it works, it could save you headaches in the future.

sagi232123 recommended your "sunderwear method" here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52412047.
    Root methods for every version of firmware is linked to in the i537 Firmware Thread.

I'm going to turn off OTA updates after I root with your method, but if a root method for the official OTA 4.4 comes along, do you know if I could turn OTA updates back on and upgrade to the official 4.4 version? I will hold off rooting with your "sunderwear method" until I'm reassured of this.
    Just so you're aware, once you change your system files in any way (i.e. rooting) you will no longer be able to receive OTA updates. For some people this is a deal breaker, but you can always flash the 4.3 ML2 Odin package to return to a stock, untouched system that will be able to receive OTA updates again. The only downside to this is that the Odin package will completely wipe your phone when you flash it.

I hope this answered your questions, but my suggestion again is to look at all the links in the i537 Firmware Thread and read everything 3 or 4 times before you do anything. People have done everything you are trying to do and have run into the problems that you will inevitably run into. There are solutions for everything posted in this forum you just need to make sure you read about what you're going to attempt before you actually do it to minimize your risk.
    the instructions its very clear dont need to some one make a video first download the the file 4.3 ML2 then unzip the file you will see 4 files open Odin go to the download mode press volume up & power botton
    BL. goes to the bootloder
    AP. goes to the PDA
    CP.goes to the phone
    CSC . goes to the CSC
    about root 4.3 ML2 .. download the 2 files first flash pwnedkernel via Odin put in PDA then download saferoot on you computer unzip it then open the file go to the install open it ..you will see command put your phone on USB debugging plug on you computer press enter a few mints your phone will reboot when your phone get root flash the originalkrenel same thing on PDA your done... sorry about my English

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda app-developers app
    confirmed root access for 4.3 OTA Ml2 worked perfect .. thank you man you are amazing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda app-developers app
    I have my S4A 4.3 ML2 rooted and all that but now it's pestering me to update to 4.4.2 and i know is i update it i will lose root. Is there a way to stop the notification from popping up or upgrade to 4.4.2 and have it still rooted?
    Rename wssyncmldm.apk and wssyncmldm.odex to wssyncmldm.apk.bak and wssyncmldm.odex.bak respectively.

Or just update to 4.4.2 and root with towelroot. It's a lot easier than you think.