XDA/Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

boborone

You would think that someone who is in the position he claims to be in, would come in a little more professional than just a random post.

He said he has been lurking the forums and likes what he sees. So he has also seen all the dissapointment that is running through these forums as well.

If you were in his position would you not want to come in here, with support and proof of who you are? (there is multiple threads of the same post in other categories, all have been asking for proof for hours)

I'm not saying hes not who he says he is, just think he could have introduced himself a little better.

Prefect. Could not have said it better.

boborone

Guys, do a little research. Pretty easy to figure out that he is either very thorough or he's actually legit.

Maybe we should tell him that it is a welcome first step to see him here.

He is an analyst so he's going to have to escalate pretty far up the food chain to be effective. Hope you're a good communicator John.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

I can stumble upon someones twitter, see their job, make a profile on a forum that relates to my new found identity claiming I'm that person too. That ain't hard.

ianwood

Feb 27, 2005
Lost Angeles
And the senior analyst who welcomed him on Twitter and has a linked in profile and is based in Dallas, Samsung's US headquarters?

Get him to post something in his twitter about XDA.

or.saeros

Sep 29, 2010
Delta
I understand I have a lot of work ahead of me. As I said before, Im here to establish a partnership with XDA developers. Inbox me to let me know if your going to be there so i can arrange somewhere to meet.

I have to admit, I'm a little curious, but want to rule out any kind of trolling and fakeness. If you really are from Samsung, and want to create a relationship with the xda devs, I think you should maybe not focus so much on the event, and maybe just say HEY XDA here's some source code!!! Lets develop!!

Just my 10char ;)

nickm50

Jan 22, 2011
Outside the GTA
thanks for the pics!

If you just took these would the pic numbers not be in order?

edit: and is that not your device in the second pic?

Last edited:

nbarsotti

Jul 13, 2010
welcome aboard

Welcome aboard. I hope this is a new chapter in my Captivate owership. The previous chapters have been pretty weak.

SamsungJohn

Official Samsung Rep
Feb 11, 2011
Dallas
Please tell me how i could have done it more "professional"? Maybe i didn't make it clear, I am on top of the food chain, when i said "lets get down to business" i meant it. I am here to help once again.

nbarsotti

Jul 13, 2010
Please tell me how i could have done it more "professional"? Maybe i didn't make it clear, I am on top of the food chain, when i said "lets get down to business" i meant it. I am here to help once again.

Hi SamsungJohn, what do you mean by "I am on the top of the food chain"? The top of the social media analysts? or top of what chain?

comdei

Dec 9, 2010
I think "getting down to business" would be to completely release the captivate source code, and such.

then go bye bye :)

even better, and we know your working on it, release the gingerbread code for the galaxy 4g :) (i know you must be working on it..)

blazin619

Jun 27, 2008
You think an official samsung rep would show up on this forum without froyo being released yet for our device? I dont think so. I know this is fake and i would be more enraged if he was an official rep.

kegobeer

Apr 22, 2007
Panama City Beach
What exactly does a social media analyst do? Does that involve interacting with users of various social media websites (ie: this forum) and using that interaction to devise marketing strategy, and to promote the Samsung brand name? I don't suppose you can post your job description for us? It will definitely help people to ask questions that are in your field, and hopefully prevent people from asking questions like "when will we get froyo?"

Last edited:

id10terrordfw

Aug 3, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
John, first off, welcome! I quite like seeing device manufacturers reaching out to the development community, that is quite a large difference over a certain fruity company that seems to want to block devs at every turn.

Second, I think a lot of the response here is based off a couple major frustrations, most of which seem to be communication based, for lack of a better phrase.

Hopefully, we can all work together to make the Galaxy S Series of phones something truly unique in the cellular realm.

The frustrations I speak of have to do with two major areas that I have seen on a regular basis.

First, the lack of updates or even true status reports on said updates. For most of us here, Froyo has been available through leaks for a while, just not in a refined form. Any attempt at finding out more info from either AT&T in our case, or Samsung seems to be met with the old "blame game". There have been so many conflicting reports, such as AT&T has it and hasn't released it to Samsung not intending to actually update our specific variants to at least 2.2, let alone 2.2.1 or even 2.3.x. Having some definitive (or as close to it as the legal departments will allow) word on this would be greatly appreciated. Considering the very similar spec'd Nexus S has 2.3, I would hope that an upgrade to it is not out of the realm of possibility. Really, what most of us here are concerned about is the source code, but I do personally know a few non-technical Captivate users who are even frustrated by 2.1.

Second, odd hardware issues that seem to plague certain users. This is the random shutdowns and GPS issues. There has been no definitive fix for these issues, other than luck of the draw it seems. At least knowing that it is not being ignored since the JH7 Captivate firmware release would be greatly appreciated.

I hope we can discuss these issues in a constructive way, with information being a two way street. If Samsung can do this, I know a lot of people here who will be quite happy.

id10terrordfw

Aug 3, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
thanks for the pics!

If you just took these would the pic numbers not be in order?

edit: and is that not your device in the second pic?

Those are timestamps from today, one at 16:40 and the rest at 20:50.

Also, one of my best friends works at a T-Mobile store and has two Vibrants. One she bought, the other given by Samsung for being what I remember her calling a "Champion". I personally have two Captivates and a 3GS, but only one active SIM card.

Just some feedback about your questions.

nickm50

Jan 22, 2011
Outside the GTA
Those are timestamps from today, one at 16:40 and the rest at 20:50.

Also, one of my best friends works at a T-Mobile store and has two Vibrants. One she bought, the other given by Samsung for being what I remember her calling a "Champion". I personally have two Captivates and a 3GS, but only one active SIM card.

Just some feedback about your questions.

Thank you!

MikeyMike01

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2010
Always glad to help! I want this to be real as much as everyone, maybe it's the thought that a device manufacturer doesn't want to be like Apple. Which amazes me.

Samsung is doing their best to steal as much from Apple as possible.

That's the problem.

From the CheeseWiz UI to the "**** you it's not broken" policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread closed. Things will come to light soon enough
    Always glad to help! I want this to be real as much as everyone, maybe it's the thought that a device manufacturer doesn't want to be like Apple. Which amazes me.

Samsung is doing their best to steal as much from Apple as possible.

That's the problem.

From the CheeseWiz UI to the "**** you it's not broken" policy.
    Yes I am the real deal, I am a developer/social media analyst. I don't mind taking a picture of my badge or something to prove my credibility.

I think he's legit, folks.

If you are indeed an analyst for Samsung, welcome to XDA. I'm sure you've already noticed by now that there is a lot of cynicism both for Samsung and your claim of being an employee. Simple reason for this is that most everyone here feels that Samsung has ignored their pleas for help, didn’t deliver promised upgrades, and left millions of Galaxy S owners with buggy software/hardware, etc.

If your goal is to reach out to Samsung users at the grassroots level, you're in the right place. However, you also have a tough job ahead of you. The disenfranchisement runs deep and it will take a lot of effort to fix.

Here are some suggestions for you to escalate internally within Samsung:

1. Support the development efforts of the XDA developers. There are many talented people working quite hard to customize, fix and generally improve Samsung firmware. Samsung should make some effort to provide these developers with source code, tools, and help.
    2. Take an honest and upfront approach to product defects that find their way onto store shelves (e.g. GPS, battery, etc). I guarantee the cost of addressing the problem will be fully offset by the shift in customer loyalty. An unreliable product is perceived many times worse if the OEM denies or ignores the issues.
    3. Set a release schedule with carrier partners and stick to it. Apple has set the benchmark for frequent over the wire software updates. Android applications are updated with fixes and improvements on a regular basis. In stark contrast, our firmware lags far behind Google’s releases and FOTA is failing more than it’s working. This has to change. Samsung needs to push out regular firmware updates that are applied seamlessly without loss of data. Forget FOTA and do it like Apple does OTW (over the wire).
    4. Allow users the option of switching to AOSP. Some people like TouchWiz and some don’t. Give them the choice.

BTW, in addition to being an informed consumer, I work in the mobile industry. I know a fair amount about how it should work. The Samsung Galaxy product suite is performing very well but the real question is how long will it last. Loyalty takes effort to maintain and is easy to lose.

P.S. I may very well be at SXSW but I won’t know for sure until a week or so beforehand.
    Oh here's an idea... let's all be jerks .,.

Nevermind....I think that plan is in full swing already...
    That's why i am here, stay tuned, there will be another thread opened, I will have all the exclusive details inside.

Please dont let the haters get to you. just some bad blood from lack of contact with Samsung and faults and promises falling short.

I hope this is the beginning of something good because I believe that everyone can benefit from sharing between grass-roots devs and samsung. Just think of a rom developed in tandem between samsung and xda-devs, the great things in a short amount of time that could happen.

I am sure you have noticed 'supercurio' and his voodoo sound apps which make the audio allot better. from what i gather he has been working with someone in samsung to integrate his changes.

It will take commitment from samsung, a large commitment and support to get past older issues. But think of the amazing software we could develop together.

If you want someone to get some ideas from or bounce ideas off of please feel free to PM me.