[MOD]viperMOD for AOSP Kernels - v3 beta RC2.4 |Updated 6.14.11| *App in Progress!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
Hey everyone, welcome to viperMOD for the EVO, Incredible, Nexus One, Desire GSM, Thunderbolt, Nexus S, Nexus S 4G, Desire HD, and Inspire 4G. Many people are having great success with this mod and I hope you enjoy my work :)

I would like to turn this into an app! If someone would like to help out that has Java knowledge, please contact me!

What does this do?
Kernel developers make their kernels to be "universal". By universal, they want the kernel to work on as many phones as possible so they may only mildly undervolt. However, some phones can handle a more aggressive undervolt. Some can't. viperMOD allows you to undervolt to your choosing for better battery life or allow you to overvolt to make your phone more stable.

How do I run this?
Once you flash the .zip go into your Terminal app (I use Android Terminal Emulator set to 10pt font) and type:

su
vipermod

I really only use Terminal for my mod and there is something really cool you can do with Android Terminal Emulator (and maybe others). Menu > Preferences > Initial Command > Press Enter and type su > Press Enter again and type vipermod

Every time you start Terminal now, it will open right into viperMOD. You can quickly exit by pressing Enter if you need to use Terminal for something else :)

UPDATE 6/14
  • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.4 is live!
  • Fixed some coding that was giving errors on certain ROMs and phones. Everyone please update to this!
  • Please see the updated FAQ and changelog for more information!

UPDATE 5/31
  • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.3 is live!
  • MUCH better support for NS/NS4G Netarchy kernels and other enhancements!

UPDATE 5/29
  • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.2 is live!
  • Initial support for Desire HD/Inspire 4G and more!

v3_beta_rc2_1.png
v3_beta_rc2_2.png
v3_beta_rc2_3.png

Please see viperboy.tiamat-dev.com for downloads, more information, changelog, and FAQ!
You can find the answers to all of your questions there!

Feel free to support this mod with a userbar in your sig :)
viperMOD_user.png

Credit to:
- snq_ for the VDD support
- Cayniarb for his awesome Tiamat kernel, hosting, and website!
- Netarchy for his amazing guidance and patience!
- My IRC friends ekarelis, bigrushdog, and morph3k for all their help!
- Ziggy for the adjustable sysfs interface
- Anyone who has done testing for me or helped me at all
- Everyone who contributes to Android development
- Let me know if I left anyone out!

Last edited:

brokentoaster24

May 9, 2010
Kansas
is tiamat 3.3.5 required for this to work? i wanted to makes sure i was doing this right before testing on sv's kernel so i tried tiamat.. but all i have on my sd card is 3.3.3

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
is tiamat 3.3.5 required for this to work? i wanted to makes sure i was doing this right before testing on sv's kernel so i tried tiamat.. but all i have on my sd card is 3.3.3

I have only tested it on Tiamat. In theory, it should work on SZ. Give it a shot and let me know. Just flash the reset .zip if something goes wrong. I would recommend trying the -25mV .zip and see if your phone boots and is stable. If it is, then try the -50mV and continue from there. Make sense?

brokentoaster24

May 9, 2010
Kansas
I have only tested it on Tiamat. In theory, it should work on SZ. Give it a shot and let me know. Just flash the reset .zip if something goes wrong. I would recommend trying the -25mV .zip and see if your phone boots and is stable. If it is, then try the -50mV and continue from there. Make sense?

yeah, i wanted to test it on tiamat first to make sure i had the process right :p i tried it on tiamat 3.3.3 but i don't think it worked. still testing though

Mazda

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 19, 2008
This is my first mod in the EVO world and I hope you guys find this useful! I don't consider myself a dev by any stretch of the imagination (maybe one day) just a guy who does some reading and research to help out.

I know this may sound stupid or whatever BUT have you had any issues with your EVO since applying this zip? For example things like random reboots, the screen freezing up or just weird crap?

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
I know this may sound stupid or whatever BUT have you had any issues with your EVO since applying this zip? For example things like random reboots, the screen freezing up or just weird crap?

Nope, but my device won't run the -75 or -100. I made those by request. But the -50 worked just fine.

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
-100. Gonna try -25 now

Edit: yeah, still no change on any zip :/ i'm running cm nightly37 with tiamat 3.3.5

i ran the cat code in terminal emulator and got havs levels that match the ones shown in op, flash the script, run cat again and same havs levels

Hmm, really odd. I double checked everything and it should be good. Reflashed on my phone and it worked. I'm running RC4. I can't imagine that would make a difference. But try this. Go into terminal and run this...

Code:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_levels_havs

note the numbers. then...

Code:
echo "-25" "-25" > sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_levels_havs

then...

Code:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_levels_havs

Are they different then?

Last edited:

Mazda

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 19, 2008
Nope, but my device won't run the -75 or -100. I made those by request. But the -50 worked just fine.
I tried the -50 zip and nothing has changed! I did exactly what you said in your instructions and I got the same numbers.

19200: 925 975
128000: 925 975
245000: 925 975
384000: 925 1000
422400: 925 1000
460800: 925 1025
499200: 925 1025
537600: 925 1050
576000: 950 1075
614400: 950 1100
652800: 950 1125
691200: 975 1150
729600: 975 1175
768000: 975 1200
806400: 1175 1225
844800: 1175 1225
883200: 1200 1250
921600: 1200 1275
960000: 1225 1275
998400: 1225 1275
1036800: 1275 1350
1075200: 1275 1350
1113600: 1275 1350
1152000: 1300 1350
1190400: 1325 1350
1228800: 1350 1350
1267200: 1350 1350

If it helps any, I'm running CM7 RC4 with the Tiamat SBC kernel 3.3.4

brokentoaster24

May 9, 2010
Kansas
manually using the echo command got the havs levels to change now. i had to su first because initially i got an error saying permission denied. your code is spot on, there must be something wrong in the updater script maybe?

Last edited:

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
manually using the echo command got the havs levels to change now. i had to su first because initially i got an error saying permission denied. your code is spot on, there must be something wrong in the updater script maybe?

EDIT: Before you do this, go into root explorer and check /system/etc/init.d - do you see "77havsvoltages" in there? You can use ADB or terminal if you want. Just do ls /system/etc/init.d and look for that file.

Ughhhhh, what the heck. Try one of these and see if they work.

Attachments

• tiamat_lower_havs_25mv.zip
    157.8 KB · Views: 76
  • tiamat_lower_havs_50mV.zip
    157.8 KB · Views: 111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone, welcome to viperMOD for the EVO, Incredible, Nexus One, Desire GSM, Thunderbolt, Nexus S, Nexus S 4G, Desire HD, and Inspire 4G. Many people are having great success with this mod and I hope you enjoy my work :)

I would like to turn this into an app! If someone would like to help out that has Java knowledge, please contact me!

What does this do?
    Kernel developers make their kernels to be "universal". By universal, they want the kernel to work on as many phones as possible so they may only mildly undervolt. However, some phones can handle a more aggressive undervolt. Some can't. viperMOD allows you to undervolt to your choosing for better battery life or allow you to overvolt to make your phone more stable.

How do I run this?
    Once you flash the .zip go into your Terminal app (I use Android Terminal Emulator set to 10pt font) and type:

su
    vipermod

I really only use Terminal for my mod and there is something really cool you can do with Android Terminal Emulator (and maybe others). Menu > Preferences > Initial Command > Press Enter and type su > Press Enter again and type vipermod

Every time you start Terminal now, it will open right into viperMOD. You can quickly exit by pressing Enter if you need to use Terminal for something else :)

UPDATE 6/14
    • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.4 is live!
    • Fixed some coding that was giving errors on certain ROMs and phones. Everyone please update to this!

UPDATE 5/31
    • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.3 is live!
    • MUCH better support for NS/NS4G Netarchy kernels and other enhancements!

UPDATE 5/29
    • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.2 is live!
    • Initial support for Desire HD/Inspire 4G and more!

v3_beta_rc2_1.png
    v3_beta_rc2_2.png
    v3_beta_rc2_3.png

Please see viperboy.tiamat-dev.com for downloads, more information, changelog, and FAQ!
    You can find the answers to all of your questions there!

Feel free to support this mod with a userbar in your sig :)
    viperMOD_user.png

Credit to:
    - snq_ for the VDD support
    - Cayniarb for his awesome Tiamat kernel, hosting, and website!
    - Netarchy for his amazing guidance and patience!
    - My IRC friends ekarelis, bigrushdog, and morph3k for all their help!
    - Ziggy for the adjustable sysfs interface
    - Anyone who has done testing for me or helped me at all
    - Everyone who contributes to Android development
    - Let me know if I left anyone out!
    I decided to update viperMOD since it has been forever and the app has never gotten finished (long story). Please see the new thread and post if you have any issues/problems, but it should work just fine. Might need to be updated for some kernels though, but I will get it supported :)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32858743

Closing this thread so I only have to manage 1 :victory:

EDIT: Want to say a special thank you to everyone that used this back in the day. This is what got me started in Android Development and I can't thank you all enough for the support and encouragement to continue on :)
    I'm using all three of those things and nothing but awesomeness has come my way.
    The only thing that has caused a little bit of trouble but is my fault really is the fact that I lowered my voltage by about 125 and it was VERY unstable, I was getting random reboots left and right BUT once I raised it up by 50 I was all set!

Anyways, great job VIPERBOY and I hope you get someone to help you out with that app! Sure would be something awesome considering how far this mod has come.....I remember placing files via RootExplorer just to make it work and now is all controlled via Terminal........10 STARS bro!!!

Thanks so much man! viperMOD has definitely come a long way and I've had help from so many great people as well! I have a great guy (Ben) helping me with the app he is doing a fantastic job, I couldn't do this without him! Every day I'm more and more excited to get this app out to you folks :D
    I love you. Well in a non gay way.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

the proper term is #nohomo!
    exciting stuff. i'm gonna test it out on sz's latest kernel, will report back soon

Great to hear! Thanks!