Scratched rim around the screen - any tips?

Search This thread

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
Guys, I need help. I've bought a used RAZR HD a month and a half ago and it was in a very good condition. 9/10, maybe even 9.5. had just a scratch or two on the rim around the screen.

Since then, I've dropped it onto concrete two times and on both occasions in went corner down, so now I've got two completely wrecked corners. Nothing else is broken, it's all fine, the kevlar back is pretty much mint, the screen is great, it's just that rim that is now completely ruining the look of the phone...

Did anyone face the same problem and what have you done to fix it, if anything? The only idea I've got now is to sand down the rim to be at level with the screen, that would possibly make it look good again. Naturally, I'd be very careful as to not scratch the screen...

Can that rim be replaced anyway? I'll check out the disassembly guides and videos now to see whether it goes together with the screen...

I'm so annoyed right now. The second drop happened minutes ago... God flipping damn it. The problem is that Moto's have not been widely used here in Serbia for years now and that makes the availability of any equipment for them more than scarce. I'll be ordering a universal case right now (the one in which you slide the phone in and out) but I'd still love to make it look good again.

Flipping damn it :(

*edit*
According to this video... It's glued very very strongly together - http://youtu.be/LfAyttf6fWU
That's just great... And I can't even find a silicon case, be it no name or branded, to cover it all up. Will see if I can order anything from across the border.

Last edited:

iBolski

Guys, I need help. I've bought a used RAZR HD a month and a half ago and it was in a very good condition. 9/10, maybe even 9.5. had just a scratch or two on the rim around the screen.

Since then, I've dropped it onto concrete two times and on both occasions in went corner down, so now I've got two completely wrecked corners. Nothing else is broken, it's all fine, the kevlar back is pretty much mint, the screen is great, it's just that rim that is now completely ruining the look of the phone...

Did anyone face the same problem and what have you done to fix it, if anything? The only idea I've got now is to sand down the rim to be at level with the screen, that would possibly make it look good again. Naturally, I'd be very careful as to not scratch the screen...

Can that rim be replaced anyway? I'll check out the disassembly guides and videos now to see whether it goes together with the screen...

I'm so annoyed right now. The second drop happened minutes ago... God flipping damn it. The problem is that Moto's have not been widely used here in Serbia for years now and that makes the availability of any equipment for them more than scarce. I'll be ordering a universal case right now (the one in which you slide the phone in and out) but I'd still love to make it look good again.

Flipping damn it :(

*edit*
According to this video... It's glued very very strongly together - http://youtu.be/LfAyttf6fWU
That's just great... And I can't even find a silicon case, be it no name or branded, to cover it all up. Will see if I can order anything from across the border.

Was this with a case on the phone or with the phone not in a case? Just curious as I have my phone in a case and have dropped it on the corner and no issue like you describe. In fact, no scratches at all.

Just curious.

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
Was this with a case on the phone or with the phone not in a case? Just curious as I have my phone in a case and have dropped it on the corner and no issue like you describe. In fact, no scratches at all.

Just curious.

The phone was bare naked, mate. I haven't got any kind of case as of yet :rolleyes:

*edit* Here goes a couple of picture, so someone could relate... I'm so annoyed that I've put it up for sale. If nobody takes it, I'll be sanding the rim/bezel. Perhaps all around, perhaps just this corner, not sure for now...

Attachments

• DSCF5713_1.jpg
    DSCF5713_1.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF5711_1.jpg
    DSCF5711_1.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

ncsuwolfs

Dec 21, 2013
Florida
The phone was bare naked, mate. I haven't got any kind of case as of yet :rolleyes:

*edit* Here goes a couple of picture, so someone could relate... I'm so annoyed that I've put it up for sale. If nobody takes it, I'll be sanding the rim/bezel. Perhaps all around, perhaps just this corner, not sure for now...

i recommend an otterbox defender, got mine off amazon for 20 dollars and because they are guaranteed for life i have gotten two replacements for free. i have dropped my phone off a 12 foot ladder and have thrown it against walls( dont ask) and have zero scratches or dents. phone is in mint condition.

Reactions: niksy+

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
i recommend an otterbox defender, got mine off amazon for 20 dollars and because they are guaranteed for life i have gotten two replacements for free. i have dropped my phone off a 12 foot ladder and have thrown it against walls( dont ask) and have zero scratches or dents. phone is in mint condition.

This would be it, right - http://youtu.be/Eg5qkRCm5pU ? But, doesn't it turn what is already a quite a big phone into a massive one? Because it certainly seems so :) I'm guessing this cannot fit a pocket of any sort of pants? But it does seem to offer outstanding protection. Alas, at what a price, both functionality and monetary-wise (the price is $40+ on amazon?)... But even if I wanted to spend that amount of money on a case, I'd have to keep my fingers crossed for probably no less than a month, hoping that it will eventually arrive, intact and without many additional fees. Third world problems... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, anyway! I might pick up the Commuter edition, it seems more reasonable for my needs :)

ncsuwolfs

Dec 21, 2013
Florida
This would be it, right - http://youtu.be/Eg5qkRCm5pU ? But, doesn't it turn what is already a quite a big phone into a massive one? Because it certainly seems so :) I'm guessing this cannot fit a pocket of any sort of pants? But it does seem to offer outstanding protection. Alas, at what a price, both functionality and monetary-wise (the price is $40+ on amazon?)... But even if I wanted to spend that amount of money on a case, I'd have to keep my fingers crossed for probably no less than a month, hoping that it will eventually arrive, intact and without many additional fees. Third world problems... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, anyway! I might pick up the Commuter edition, it seems more reasonable for my needs :)

yes thats it, im in construction so i went with defender, my sister has commuter and it seems to offer a level of protection for most peoples uses (2-3 foot drops) and yes it does make the phone bigger so if thats a concern i would go with commuter, also the screen protector on the defender is part of the case but with the commuter its a stick on screen protector if that matters to you( i can never get those to go on without wrinkles) i beleieve the 40 $ ones are the black ones bc otterbox stopped making them :( i bought a black one for 20$ 6 months ago

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
yes thats it, im in construction so i went with defender, my sister has commuter and it seems to offer a level of protection for most peoples uses (2-3 foot drops) and yes it does make the phone bigger so if thats a concern i would go with commuter, also the screen protector on the defender is part of the case but with the commuter its a stick on screen protector if that matters to you( i can never get those to go on without wrinkles) i beleieve the 40 $ ones are the black ones bc otterbox stopped making them :( i bought a black one for 20$ 6 months ago

Thanks for the information once again, mate! And, yeah, I just figured out that there are different versions. The one with pink details is the cheapest...damn :D

We'll see how I can get my hands on one. The shipping fees are going to be higher than the price of the case itself, ffs :/

iBolski

Thanks for the information once again, mate! And, yeah, I just figured out that there are different versions. The one with pink details is the cheapest...damn :D

We'll see how I can get my hands on one. The shipping fees are going to be higher than the price of the case itself, ffs :/

Here's what I have (well, it's the same style but mine is a Body Glove that I purchased from Walmart but I cannot find it anywhere online):

http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Mat...9233999&sr=8-2&keywords=motorola+razr+hd+case

It's worked well so far. I've dropped my phone a couple of times, once face down and maybe two times on the side and/or corner, and my phone has been protected.

Overall, it adds a little bulk, but nothing like an Otterbox. I can put this into my pants pockets without much issue.

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
Here's what I have (well, it's the same style but mine is a Body Glove that I purchased from Walmart but I cannot find it anywhere online):

http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Mat...9233999&sr=8-2&keywords=motorola+razr+hd+case

It's worked well so far. I've dropped my phone a couple of times, once face down and maybe two times on the side and/or corner, and my phone has been protected.

Overall, it adds a little bulk, but nothing like an Otterbox. I can put this into my pants pockets without much issue.

This is very much like the generic cases available here for most smartphones, priced at $2-3. Would you say that your case has a premium quality and is worth the higher price? Because I've found those generic ones available together with free shipping on eBay. But I know how lousy their protection and appearance are, so I'm still weighing my options.

iBolski

This is very much like the generic cases available here for most smartphones, priced at $2-3. Would you say that your case has a premium quality and is worth the higher price? Because I've found those generic ones available together with free shipping on eBay. But I know how lousy their protection and appearance are, so I'm still weighing my options.

Again, that is not exactly the case I have, but I purchased it at a Walmat department store for about $14.

It feels rubbery and it's flexible when the phone is not in it. Mine says "Body Glove" on it but I cannot find it on their site (they don't list any cases for the Droid RAZR HD).

Overall, I wouldn't say it's premium quality (not like I had with my Otterbox cases for my OG RAZR MAXX that I used to own), but it does seem to do the job for me. As I said, I've dropped the phone face down with the case I have (which is similar to the one I linked to on Amazon) and the phone came out unscathed. It was about a three foot drop onto the concrete floor in my garage if that gives any indication.

OrBy

Feb 22, 2008

Another vote to the Diztronic - it would cover that damage and will prevent the same type of damage when you drop it again. Mine has lived in one of these since I got it and gets tossed around all the time. Has landed face first a few times and has not skipped a beat thanks to the raised lip.

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
Another vote to the Diztronic - it would cover that damage and will prevent the same type of damage when you drop it again. Mine has lived in one of these since I got it and gets tossed around all the time. Has landed face first a few times and has not skipped a beat thanks to the raised lip.

Thanks, mate. The Diztronic looks wonderful compared to the chinese "s-line" thing I bought because of free shipping... It's just crap and it doesn't even cover the edges properly - the left one is fine, but it cannot stay on top of the right one. Check the picture for illustration. I'll be sure to get the Diztronic one in the future. Can you just tell me whether its rubberised or is it just the matte finish making it look as if though it were? Because it looks like it is and that it's insanely sticky and that I wouldn't be able to stick it in my pocket, but I guess it's just the matte finish :)

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 78

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.