[how to] return your MID to stock vzw

Search This thread

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
if you had your phone s offed by a java card,a result of the diag file "s58 data clean" is a change of your MID(Model ID) to a superMID of sorts: 0P6B2****

this has an advantage of allowing htcdev unlock without changing cid,but with s off, the bootloader can easily be unlocked without htcdev,so that is not of much importance.

since we dont know for sure if any future activities(turning s on,accepting OTAs,etc) will be affected by a non stock MID,it may be worthwhile to return the MID to stock 0P6B20000 "just in case"

this thread is for the folks who wish to revert to stock MID. the method described here is not the only way to skin the cat,but as long as your careful the risk is very minimal, its quick and easy and doesnt require any hboot downgrades,eng hboot install,data loss,or having to run an ruu.

credits:
-beaups for schooling me on the echo command protocol
-kdj67f for dumping partitions from his java card s-offed m7
-davehasninjas for dumping rumrunner s offed m7 partitions
-andybones for testing on a vzw m7 device

standard disclaimer: use this information at your own risk. it has been tested,but copying the command incorrectly could have consequences. if you melt your phone into a smoldering little pile of aluminum goo, its not my fault.

IF you are an advanced user with adb/fastboot set up and some basic knowlede of the cmd window,you can skip to #2
1)set up adb

-download this file
-install drivers: if you have htc sync installed,you should allready have drivers. if not,you can install htc sync,or install these modified htc drivers from revolutionary (driver mirror)
-unzip your miniadb_v1031.zip file. this is native funtionality in windows 7. you otherwise may need a utility such as "7-zip" to extract,or unzip it. place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive on your PC. root means the top level,not inside any folders. so just copy and paste,or drag and drop the folder onto C with everything else that is there. you may want to rename it to "miniadb_m7" since youll be putting some device specific files in here.
-open a command window. on windows 7,click the start bubble in the lower left and type "command" in the search box. xp i believe is similar or the same. doing this should open a small black command window.
-change to your miniadb_m7 directory. type the following at the prompt in your cmd window:

cd c:\miniadb_m7

your command promt should change to "c:miniadb_m7>" provided you: 1)unzipped the miniadb_v1031 zip file,and 2)put the folder on your c drive,and 3)entered the name of the folder correctly ("miniadb_m7" in this case)

-now make sure usb debugging is checked in developer options(you will need to turn it on first),and plug your phone into your PC with a usb cable
-make sure your phone is being recognized- type:

adb devices

if your drivers are installed correctly,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

if you get your serial number back,then enter this command:
adb reboot bootloader

this should take your phone to the "fastboot" screen,wich is white with colored letters. this is one mode of your bootloaders interactive modes. at the top youll see fastboot devices as confirmation youre in fastboot.

now enter:
fastboot devices
again,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

if you get your serial number back,you can enter the following to boot back to the phones OS:
fastboot reboot

and now,youve installed adb/fastboot and tested youre phones drivers. if at either spot,you have trouble and dont get your serial number back,there is some sort of connection issue. use these steps to troubleshoot:
troubleshooting connectivity issues:
-try a reboot of the PC
-try different usb cables and ports
-dont use a usb hub
-dont use usb 3.0
-make sure nothing capable of comunicating with the phone is enabled and running. htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,and even itunes have all been known to cause issues.
-windows 8 has been known to have issues. try a windows 7 or older machine

failing the above,
-i use these drivers for fastboot and adb(donwload and run as admin): http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (mirror)

failing that,try manually updating the drivers in the following manner:
-put the phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from the hboot menu)
-open device manager on the PC
-plug in phone,watch for it to pop up in device manager.
-update drivers with device manager,pointing the wizard to the extracted
driver download folder from above

note that you can check the connectivity of the phone,and make sure drivers are working by in the following manner:
-open cmd window. change to directory containing adb/fastboot utilities

-adb with the phone in the booted OS,usb debug enabled,enter:
adb devices in a cmd window

-fastboot with phone in fastboot,enter:
fastboot devices in cmd window

in either case,a properly connected phone with working drivers installed should report back the phones serial number.

this process,in your cmd window,should look something like this:
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>[COLOR="red"]cd c:\miniadb_m7[/COLOR]

c:\miniadb_m7>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
FAxxxxxxxxxx    device

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot devices[/COLOR]
FAxxxxxxxxxx    fastboot

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot reboot[/COLOR]
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.037s

c:\miniadb_m7>

2)restore your verizon MID
warning: *do not try and type the command. please copy and paste it
enter the following:

adb shell

su (if needed to get a #)

Code:
[B]echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x32\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384[/B]
(the above is one big long command. make sure you copy it all,and dont get extra spaces when you paste it.)

exit

exit (<- only if needed to get back to your normal > prompt)

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot getvar mid (or getvar all)

verify 0P6B20000 for modelid

fastboot reboot

your command window should look like this:
Code:
c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
root@m7:/ # [COLOR="Red"]echo -ne '\x50\x00\x4e\x00\x30\x00\x37\x00\x33\x00\x31\x00\x30\x00\x
30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 bs=1 seek=16384[/COLOR]
00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 bs=1 seek=16384                          <
17+0 records in
17+0 records out
17 bytes transferred in 0.009 secs (1888 bytes/sec)
root@m7:/ # [COLOR="red"]exit[/COLOR]
exit

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot getvar all[/COLOR]
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.44.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.17.3250.20
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.27.531.8
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: HTxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) imei: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0731000  [COLOR="Blue"]<-looky[/COLOR]
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4175mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-f188f379dbbfee373cd551f7bc62b8435
getvar:all FAILED (unknown status code)
finished. total time: 0.092s

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="Red"]fastboot reboot[/COLOR]
rebooting...
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11

finished. total time: 7.288s

some other useful links if you have a java card s offed phone:
*links to come

Last edited:

djh816

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 26, 2009
is this for m8? tutorial only mentions m7.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: scotty1223

dr_drache

Dec 31, 2007
so, why doesn't the s-off provider do this for you?
When I offered JTAG s-off on devices, the devices would return with the only change as S-OFF, not cid changed, nothing.
this seems like a lazy way to do it, since it can be scripted, so s-off... run script boom, perfect s-off.

Reactions: scotty1223

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011

Yes. This for m8. Sorry I'm lazy,and most of the thread is a paste from m7 ;)

This has not been tested on m8 since I don't have one. If someone wants to confirm,ill add them to the credits.

Sent from my HTC PG09410 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: djh816

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011
When I offered JTAG s-off on devices, the devices would return with the only change as S-OFF, not cid changed, nothing.
this seems like a lazy way to do it, since it can be scripted, so s-off... run script boom, perfect s-off.

I can't answer that,I'm not the java card guy. Whomever uses the java card is welcome to incoporate this into their process.

Personally,I would change cid and mid back to stock prior to returning the device.

dr_drache

Dec 31, 2007
I can't answer that,I'm not the java card guy. Whomever uses the java card is welcome to incoporate this into their process.

Personally,I would change cid and mid back to stock prior to returning the device.

that's what I'd do, and that's what should be done.

sofla2

Jul 11, 2011
Naples, FL
Does adb work with Windows XP? My windows 7 laptop finally gave out on me, I can't get adb to work on my new laptop (windows 8...not 8.1) but I do have an old xp laptop that works just fine.

dr_drache

Dec 31, 2007
your 8 should be 8.1 if you didn't update, you should it's free (check the store)
OTHERWISE,
you can manually apply the update 1 patches from M$, or wait until the 8th. it's fixed there

#2 yes it does, just not as well.

sofla2

Jul 11, 2011
Naples, FL
your 8 should be 8.1 if you didn't update, you should it's free (check the store)
OTHERWISE,
you can manually apply the update 1 patches from M$, or wait until the 8th. it's fixed there

#2 yes it does, just not as well.

I did do the update to 8.1, but my laptop ran like crap afterward. So bad that I restored the computer back to 8.0. Does adb work with 8.1?

dr_drache

Dec 31, 2007
I did do the update to 8.1, but my laptop ran like crap afterward. So bad that I restored the computer back to 8.0. Does adb work with 8.1?

this I find very very hard to believe. since it's only windows 8 with a few tweaks.

but yes, and no.
adb works on everything, the issue with 8/8.1 is fastboot.

but with the patches that you can manually get now, OR when they are released on the 8th via windows update (8.1 only)
fastboot works.

sofla2

Jul 11, 2011
Naples, FL
this I find very very hard to believe. since it's only windows 8 with a few tweaks.

Well believe it. Example...after I did the upgrade, any program I clicked on took forever to open. I would see the little hour glass going round and round. With the web browser open, clicking on a link or shortcut would pretty much do the same. Even a simple web page like craigslist took forever to open up. Restore back to 8, all problems gone. I suppose maybe I got a bad download? They are releasing a new version on the 8th? Maybe I'll try again.

but yes, and no.
adb works on everything, the issue with 8/8.1 is fastboot.

but with the patches that you can manually get now, OR when they are released on the 8th via windows update (8.1 only)
fastboot works.

The problem I am having is my phone is not being recognized. And the drivers, like the one Scott posted above won't work. It says the driver installer is not supported for this operating system.

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011
The problem I am having is my phone is not being recognized. And the drivers, like the one Scott posted above won't work. It says the driver installer is not supported for this operating system.

the drivers i listed are for windows 7 and below. sorry i cant help you on win 8+,im not familiar with it. another option would be to make an ubuntu live cd. no drivers eequired there :)

Ae3NerdGod

Apr 27, 2014
i need this for the sprint one m8. i have changed it to a gsm mid and cant find the sprint one anywhere. youve made one for every variant except sprint: 0P6B17000

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    if you had your phone s offed by a java card,a result of the diag file "s58 data clean" is a change of your MID(Model ID) to a superMID of sorts: 0P6B2****

this has an advantage of allowing htcdev unlock without changing cid,but with s off, the bootloader can easily be unlocked without htcdev,so that is not of much importance.

since we dont know for sure if any future activities(turning s on,accepting OTAs,etc) will be affected by a non stock MID,it may be worthwhile to return the MID to stock 0P6B20000 "just in case"

this thread is for the folks who wish to revert to stock MID. the method described here is not the only way to skin the cat,but as long as your careful the risk is very minimal, its quick and easy and doesnt require any hboot downgrades,eng hboot install,data loss,or having to run an ruu.

credits:
    -beaups for schooling me on the echo command protocol
    -kdj67f for dumping partitions from his java card s-offed m7
    -davehasninjas for dumping rumrunner s offed m7 partitions
    -andybones for testing on a vzw m7 device

standard disclaimer: use this information at your own risk. it has been tested,but copying the command incorrectly could have consequences. if you melt your phone into a smoldering little pile of aluminum goo, its not my fault.

IF you are an advanced user with adb/fastboot set up and some basic knowlede of the cmd window,you can skip to #2
    1)set up adb

-download this file
    -install drivers: if you have htc sync installed,you should allready have drivers. if not,you can install htc sync,or install these modified htc drivers from revolutionary (driver mirror)
    -unzip your miniadb_v1031.zip file. this is native funtionality in windows 7. you otherwise may need a utility such as "7-zip" to extract,or unzip it. place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive on your PC. root means the top level,not inside any folders. so just copy and paste,or drag and drop the folder onto C with everything else that is there. you may want to rename it to "miniadb_m7" since youll be putting some device specific files in here.
    -open a command window. on windows 7,click the start bubble in the lower left and type "command" in the search box. xp i believe is similar or the same. doing this should open a small black command window.
    -change to your miniadb_m7 directory. type the following at the prompt in your cmd window:

cd c:\miniadb_m7

your command promt should change to "c:miniadb_m7>" provided you: 1)unzipped the miniadb_v1031 zip file,and 2)put the folder on your c drive,and 3)entered the name of the folder correctly ("miniadb_m7" in this case)

-now make sure usb debugging is checked in developer options(you will need to turn it on first),and plug your phone into your PC with a usb cable
    -make sure your phone is being recognized- type:

adb devices

if your drivers are installed correctly,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

if you get your serial number back,then enter this command:
    adb reboot bootloader

this should take your phone to the "fastboot" screen,wich is white with colored letters. this is one mode of your bootloaders interactive modes. at the top youll see fastboot devices as confirmation youre in fastboot.

now enter:
    fastboot devices
    again,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

if you get your serial number back,you can enter the following to boot back to the phones OS:
    fastboot reboot

and now,youve installed adb/fastboot and tested youre phones drivers. if at either spot,you have trouble and dont get your serial number back,there is some sort of connection issue. use these steps to troubleshoot:
    troubleshooting connectivity issues:
    -try a reboot of the PC
    -try different usb cables and ports
    -dont use a usb hub
    -dont use usb 3.0
    -make sure nothing capable of comunicating with the phone is enabled and running. htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,and even itunes have all been known to cause issues.
    -windows 8 has been known to have issues. try a windows 7 or older machine

failing the above,
    -i use these drivers for fastboot and adb(donwload and run as admin): http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (mirror)

failing that,try manually updating the drivers in the following manner:
    -put the phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from the hboot menu)
    -open device manager on the PC
    -plug in phone,watch for it to pop up in device manager.
    -update drivers with device manager,pointing the wizard to the extracted
    driver download folder from above

note that you can check the connectivity of the phone,and make sure drivers are working by in the following manner:
    -open cmd window. change to directory containing adb/fastboot utilities

-adb with the phone in the booted OS,usb debug enabled,enter:
    adb devices in a cmd window

-fastboot with phone in fastboot,enter:
    fastboot devices in cmd window

in either case,a properly connected phone with working drivers installed should report back the phones serial number.

this process,in your cmd window,should look something like this:
    Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>[COLOR="red"]cd c:\miniadb_m7[/COLOR]

c:\miniadb_m7>adb devices
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached
    FAxxxxxxxxxx    device

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot devices[/COLOR]
    FAxxxxxxxxxx    fastboot

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot reboot[/COLOR]
    rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.037s

c:\miniadb_m7>

2)restore your verizon MID
    warning: *do not try and type the command. please copy and paste it
    enter the following:

adb shell

su (if needed to get a #)

Code:
    [B]echo -ne '\x30\x00\x50\x00\x36\x00\x42\x00\x32\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1 seek=16384[/B]
    (the above is one big long command. make sure you copy it all,and dont get extra spaces when you paste it.)

exit

exit (<- only if needed to get back to your normal > prompt)

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot getvar mid (or getvar all)

verify 0P6B20000 for modelid

fastboot reboot

your command window should look like this:
    Code:
    c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
    root@m7:/ # [COLOR="Red"]echo -ne '\x50\x00\x4e\x00\x30\x00\x37\x00\x33\x00\x31\x00\x30\x00\x
    30\x00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 bs=1 seek=16384[/COLOR]
    00\x30' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 bs=1 seek=16384                          <
    17+0 records in
    17+0 records out
    17 bytes transferred in 0.009 secs (1888 bytes/sec)
    root@m7:/ # [COLOR="red"]exit[/COLOR]
    exit

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot getvar all[/COLOR]
    (bootloader) version: 0.5
    (bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.44.0000
    (bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.17.3250.20
    (bootloader) version-cpld: None
    (bootloader) version-microp: None
    (bootloader) version-main: 1.27.531.8
    (bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
    (bootloader) serialno: HTxxxxxxxxxx
    (bootloader) imei: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    (bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
    (bootloader) product: m7_ul
    (bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
    (bootloader) modelid: PN0731000  [COLOR="Blue"]<-looky[/COLOR]
    (bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
    (bootloader) battery-status: good
    (bootloader) battery-voltage: 4175mV
    (bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
    (bootloader) security: off
    (bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
    (bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
    (bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-f188f379dbbfee373cd551f7bc62b8435
    getvar:all FAILED (unknown status code)
    finished. total time: 0.092s

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="Red"]fastboot reboot[/COLOR]
    rebooting...
    (bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11

finished. total time: 7.288s

some other useful links if you have a java card s offed phone:
    *links to come

Yes. This for m8. Sorry I'm lazy,and most of the thread is a paste from m7 ;)

This has not been tested on m8 since I don't have one. If someone wants to confirm,ill add them to the credits.

the drivers i listed are for windows 7 and below. sorry i cant help you on win 8+,im not familiar with it. another option would be to make an ubuntu live cd. no drivers eequired there :)

I got adb and fastboot working fine on my old Windows XP Toshiba. Kind of scary though on a 12 year old laptop lol