Unhappy with Root? Share your stories....

Search This thread

nakunz

Jan 17, 2011
Tampa, FL
In response to the OP, I've detoxed myself from rooting as well, and I'm happy. Not to say I won't ever root again, but this new wave of material designing all the google apps from google themselves and being able to use them already has really been the reason I haven't rooted. I'm more interested in theming and always have been, so the freedom to customize plenty without root is a great thing for me personally. Also I'm just really happy with KitKat in general.

With that said, I might root sometime and flash away, but only when I get another device to do my daily stuff (calls, emails, text) so I can have some real fun with my S5!

So, it's been 9 months and 13 days since I started this thread. I have been root-free ever since. I'm not gonna lie...it was hard in the beginning, but once I was completely detoxed....well, it was kind of NICE. Sure, I missed a few things....like tethering mostly....but all in all, kind of happy I'm not rooted. Looking forward to seeing what the S6/S6 Edge is going to be like, even though I'm SUPER pissed that there's no removable battery, no microsd, and no IP rating...kind of seems silly to regress on those kinds of features just to be like an iphone knock-off....but *sigh*

Last edited:

jimwick

Sep 9, 2013
Philadelphia
[emoji33]
What?
What is difficult about installing an app and tapping your finger on the screen literally ONE time?

I had this phone rooted within two minutes of purchasing it, i hadnt even walked out of the store yet. In 10 years of hacking phones this was literally the quickest, easiest, toddler-could-do-it mod ive ever encountered.

Even if your firmware is incompatible w/towelroot youre looking at 5mins max using a computer & odin.

.................... I know its been awhile since you commented on my post but just wanted to say you were right @Swimguy14 , I was just nervous about learning a new device but its really as easy as you said. Thank you for letting me know............

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's not root that screws up your phone. It's something that you do after rooting that screws up the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Root ruined my life. Wife left me. Kids hate me, why did I ever decide to root my phone? ;)
    If you are unhappy with root, you really have no clue what you are doing and you should buy an apple product immediately before you hurt yourself.
    YouTube is unbearable without that!
    I've been a devoted rooter ever since my very first android phone, the Motorola Atrix (the very first phone with a fingerprint reader!). Loved it! After that, I had dutifully rooted my Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket, and then the Galaxy S 4 (before the update that put the whole phone on crazy lock-down). At first, I was very unhappy with not being able to root the ATT S5, but once I detoxed myself from the root addiction, I found that I really enjoyed the phone and everything worked really well. No FCs, no weird compatability issues because of the Xposed Framework and/or Wanam Xposed. Sure, I have to live without ad blocking or being able to tether (on a grandfathered unlimited data, so no tethering plan for me), and most missed is the inability to use TiBu (although I have found that Helium does a decent enough job).

So, after having been rooted for about 48 hours, I decided to undo the mess. I followed the instructions posted here on how to ODIN the original firmware and then perform the OTA update again. Took me a few hours to get my phone back to the state (more or less) it was in pre-root - especially with the help of Helium (paid for Premium, really worth it).

Anyone else experience something similar? Have another reason for de-rooting? Curious.....

I'd be more inclined to keep root on this device if things didn't get so screwed up with it....it was almost like a full time job keeping it operational with all the "moving pieces" so-to-speak (the real clincher for me was that the phonebook transfer via BT to my car was so screwed up post-root, that it just wasn't worth having it - especially in light of my discovery that after I've detoxed myself from the root addiction and still enjoyed my phone).

--Q

It takes time to learn what you can and can't tweak once you have "root", each device is different, each users needs are different. Where battery life and de-bloating may important to one it might very well be insignificant to another, Development is time consuming and with xPosed and the modules that go with it every time Google comes out with an updated OS or Samsung, HTC,LG or Motorola come out with a device it requires the devs to step back and re-evaluate the code and make appropriate adjustments for the best behavior, modifications for compatibility or in the worst case scenario a complete re-write. We all read (or should read) the disclaimers with every tweak or mod we do and as always if it doesnt work or causes bad behavior we can remove it.