Working Launchers for Kindle Fire HDX

Search This thread

vincentallen2

Jul 9, 2009
OnePlus 7T Pro
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
I posted this in another thread, but I'll do it here as well since I highly recommend it to non rooted HDX users.

Aviate is definitely the best home screen replacement for the hdx if your non rooted. It allows the use of widgets and wallpapers. I have Aviate, google apps, and SwiftKey installed. This combination definitely gives the HDX the sense of being a real android tablet without root, especially since Amazon disabled the "Special offers" for me. I'm loving this tablet now ?<br />
<br />
Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk<br />
8e00afaad935a4b4de799230717a8324.jpg
<br/>

Reactions: alireza21

aoleg

Jan 8, 2015
Unfortunately, late versions of Aviate can set wallpaper but don't keep it after Kindle on/off. Sometimes Aviate loses wallpaper even after locking/unlocking the device. Only some of the very earlest versions can actually keep the wallpaper. I wonder if there's a fix to this problem.

bookbuster

Jun 1, 2014
So with Aviate, when I press the home button it says "select home app"

I have to choose between Aviate and Kindle. Problem is, even if I select "always" I still have to choose every time.

Any trick to fix it?

aoleg

Jan 8, 2015
So with Aviate, when I press the home button it says "select home app"

I have to choose between Aviate and Kindle. Problem is, even if I select "always" I still have to choose every time.

Any trick to fix it?

Yes. Connect to your PC and run ADB. Then:

adb shell
pm block com.amazon.kindle.otter

If you decide to go back, replace "block" with "unblock", then (and only then) uninstall Aviate.

bookbuster

Jun 1, 2014
Yes. Connect to your PC and run ADB. Then:

adb shell

If you decide to go back, replace "block" with "unblock", then (and only then) uninstall Aviate.

I always get Error, could not access the package manager. Is the system running?

I got a similar error when using add with GAPPS but chrome and chromecast work so I settled there, still can't login to Google accounts.

Sorry to high jack thread, but I think I'm close. Is there some basic error I am doing? Should all background tasks on my kindle be killed when I'm using adb?

aoleg

Jan 8, 2015
If anyone is still looking for a launcher with BOTH wallpaper AND widget support (and without root), there's yet another contender: dodol launcher.
The trick for enabling wallpapers in dodol is this:
1) You can ONLY use wallpapers from one of the dodol themes (there are several hundred available)
2) In order to enable wallpaper support, use Preferences - "Home screen settings" and check "Exclusive wallpapers".
I have just checked; wallpapers and widgets work fine.

rabioactive

Sep 29, 2014
I installed Buzz Launcher but the navigation bar hides automatically after a few seconds. Is there a way to make the bar stay permanently? :)

ja49902

Dec 22, 2014
default home screen

For those with root if you want the home button to work with a different launcher. First install that launcher then use titanium back up or Rom toolbox to freeze Amazon's launcher. This won't get wallpapers or widgets working but it will make your launcher the default

For those with root if you want the home button to work with a different launcher. First install that launcher then use titanium back up or Rom toolbox to freeze Amazon's launcher. This won't get wallpapers or widgets working but it will make your launcher the default

you can disable stock launcher without root
Code:
adb shell

Materinova.15 Beta for example has own wallpapers engine and wallpapers works

Last edited:

XxD34THxX

Nov 3, 2014
Themer and Buzz launcher works... I am on Nova with a working wallpaper, however I screwed up my lockscreen wallpaper... it's always black...

djclark25

Feb 15, 2011
you can disable stock launcher without root
Code:
adb shell

Materinova.15 Beta for example has own wallpapers engine and wallpapers works

Have installed the latest Nova beta and looks good but how do I access my Kindle books easily? I have a Kindle icon with nothing writen underneath it which launches the bookstore, which I can get to my books through the menus.

I have Amazon Kindle icon which does nothing and I also have a Hushpuppy icon which launches my book but I cannot scroll the pages or get the menus up and have to do a hard reboot!!

Is the unnamed icon the only way?

Rooted on 4.5.2 by the way

Have installed the latest Nova beta and looks good but how do I access my Kindle books easily? I have a Kindle icon with nothing writen underneath it which launches the bookstore, which I can get to my books through the menus.

I have Amazon Kindle icon which does nothing and I also have a Hushpuppy icon which launches my book but I cannot scroll the pages or get the menus up and have to do a hard reboot!!

Is the unnamed icon the only way?

Rooted on 4.5.2 by the way

it is known problem.
but I do not use kindle app, and I use stock launcher =) so I can not test.
but i think you can try install kindle app from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2760542 and disable stock one. bit it is only my assumptions.

lekofraggle

Oct 10, 2010
Google Pixel C
You can, but you will lose access to the kindle books. I am trying to figure some other workarounds out, and will post when I get there. As of now (and always maybe), you need otter running to access your library, but not the last book you opened.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

icemocalatte

Jan 16, 2014
You can, but you will lose access to the kindle books. I am trying to figure some other workarounds out, and will post when I get there. As of now (and always maybe), you need otter running to access your library, but not the last book you opened.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Any luck? Would what ja suggested up top allow access to the library? I'm guessing no because freezing it sounds like it does the same as blocking. Anybody else able to access their kindle books with a launcher? Please let us know. Thanks!

ish.org

Mar 7, 2015
Tokyo
switch launchers by shell script

Hi, I am switching launchers by shell script on my thor.
Although I'm usually using nova launcher, I can read books with amazon launcher.
I'm using "Command Runner" found in google play store and enabled root access.

To swith amazon_launcher:
pm unblock com.amazon.kindle.otterr
input touchscreen tap 602 1878 # tap home icon to exit command runner
input touchscreen tap 368 807 # tap amazon launcher
input touchscreen tap 846 1159 # tap once

To switch nova launcher:
input touchscreen tap 602 1878 # tap home icon

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I assume the various issues reported with launchers, kindle books and other amazon services only applies to those running stock (Fire OS). I'm using Nova with the Nexus rom and have no difficulty reading books/mags via the kindle app or using any other Amazon service. I assume the same would be true with CM11/12. I understand these roms are not available everyone...just trying to understand if the issue goes beyond stock OS.

Top Liked Posts