[HOW TO] Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob (Simple) Version

Search This thread

-11-Loki

Dec 7, 2012
If I understand right, there is an factory cable needed to install the first aide software? Is there any option to secure my KFHD otherwise against the newest Amazon service, because I have not yet an factory cable.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob (Simple) Version

If I understand right, there is an factory cable needed to install the first aide software? Is there any option to secure my KFHD otherwise against the newest Amazon service, because I have not yet an factory cable.

-11-Loki,

We have good news for you Loki, most of our software options can be executed with the original USB Cable that is included with every Kindle. The primary function that requires the Factory USB Cable is the full restore - all the other features will work, including Disable OTA, without the Factory USB Cable.

[BACKUP][RECOVERY] Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

Reactions: -11-Loki

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
Yesterday I found my Amazon App store had been silently updated, I'd already unticked the two boxes in the settings & had ran the OTA script, will check & see if I have the latest one.

Must say though the new UI of the app store is better, I still use it for some apps over Google Play.

m44898

Mar 15, 2011
I followed the tutorial step by step and completed. The only problem I met is at step 8. There is no guide to install Titanium Backup. I spent some time to google the apk to install Titanium Backup as I cannot find it form Amazon market and Google Play store was not ready yet. After I completed all the steps. I found the Titanium Backup apk just attached under the last step.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

Yesterday I found my Amazon App store had been silently updated, I'd already unticked the two boxes in the settings & had ran the OTA script, will check & see if I have the latest one.

Must say though the new UI of the app store is better, I still use it for some apps over Google Play.

Gilly10,

Our software should not effect the Amazon Store. Did you say you had unchecked the Amazon Store Update Automatically?

Just so you know, this has function has been added to Kindle Fire First Aide, just install the software, and use Option 14 to disable OTA. Our software allows you to Disable and Enable on the fly.

You may download a copy here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

I followed the tutorial step by step and completed. The only problem I met is at step 8. There is no guide to install Titanium Backup. I spent some time to google the apk to install Titanium Backup as I cannot find it form Amazon market and Google Play store was not ready yet. After I completed all the steps. I found the Titanium Backup apk just attached under the last step.

m44898,

I am sorry, that is no longer need to complete the OTA Disable. Either way, it is the best Backup and Recovery software available, so if you have it installed all the better.

Just FYI, our new Software automates this process. Just download and install Kindle Fire First Aide and select Option 14 to disable OTA. As we find new devices, it will be automatically added to our software. Here is a link to the new software:

m44898

Mar 15, 2011
m44898,

I am sorry, that is no longer need to complete the OTA Disable. Either way, it is the best Backup and Recovery software available, so if you have it installed all the better.

Just FYI, our new Software automates this process. Just download and install Kindle Fire First Aide and select Option 14 to disable OTA. As we find new devices, it will be automatically added to our software. Here is a link to the new software:

The new automatic software sound great especially to a person root the device first time like me. I will try it next time if I need to re-root the device. Here I had some more questions. Appreciate if you can help to answer:
1. How to recover the kindle device to the factory image? Can I just use the reset to factory default?
2. Can I still update or install new app from Amazon appstore after I installed the Google Play store?

Jcrayst

Feb 1, 2013
Working with a Mac

In this Noob Series, we will explore how to disable the Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates. This small script
was written by our development staff. Our staff was very careful to disable all the OTA Services that Amazon can use to deploy updates. We have the script notes at the bottom for people interested in what actually is shut down. You may easily revert back and enable all services if desired, just download and execute the attached.

SCRIPT WAS UPDATED 01-29-2013 TO BLOCK NEW SERVICES

Prerequisites:

1. Rooted Kindle Fire HD 7" 8.9" or Fire 2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36375244

2. Kindle Fire First Aide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

Preferred Method (Automatic Method):

Disable OTA Step 1: Download Kindle Fire First Aide: Windows 32-bit Version Or Windows 64-bit Version

Disable OTA Step 2: Extract KFFirstAide.zip to C:\KFFirstAide - please remove the 32 or 64 at the end of the folder created by Winzip or 7-Zip

Disable OTA Step 3: With your mouse, open the C:\KFFirstAide contents by double mouse clicking the C:\KFFirstAide folder

Disable OTA Step 4: Find the RunMe.bat file. Right Hand Mouse click on RunMe.bat, select 'Send to', select Desktop (Create Shortcut). Now press the Left Hand Mouse button to create the Shortcut named RunMe.bat.

Disable OTA Step 5: Find the RunMe Shortcut on your desktop, select it by left mouse click over the icon, then while on the icon choose Right Hand mouse click, select Properties.

Disable OTA Step 6: This will display the RunMe properties. Select the General Tab, change the top name to KF First Aide. Then click on the Shortcut tab, click on Advanced. Check 'Run as Administrator', click OK, then click Apply, then click OK. All windows should be closed.

Disable OTA Step 7: Double Mouse Click the new Icon named KF First Aide. You may be presented with a security window, just click Yes.

Disable OTA Step 8: Please click on the Windows Key plus Pause/Break, this will display the Windows System Properties. Next Click on the Advanced Tab and find "Environment Variables". Please click on Environment Variables and find the Path Statement. Carefully add at the end of the Path Statement:

Code:
;C:\KFFirstAide
Note: Do Not forget the semi-colen before the C:\KFFirstAide
Disable OTA Step 9: That is it! The software is ready. Next we get the Kindle ready to disable OTA.

Disable OTA Step 10: Please check the Kindle under More + > Security - make sure ADB is ON. Leave it disconnected from USB.

Disable OTA Step 11: Launch Kindle Fire First Aide, if the ADB Driver is not installed, use Option 12 to Install the ADB Driver

Disable OTA Step 12: Make sure the Kindle is turned ON, plugged into the Computer USB and ready. Select Option 14 to Disable OTA.

Disable OTA Step 13: That is it! OTA is now disabled, you may close the software.

You may view the Kindle Fire First Aide Forum Notes here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

Alternative Method (Manual Method):

Disable OTA Step 1: Download the Disable OTA Script File: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/disable-ota.zip OR http://ubuntuone.com/7EOyYTaRqPOdP6dayeKYfy by downloading disable-ota.zip to your desktop.

Disable OTA Step 2: Download and Install Script Manager: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/scriptmanager.zip OR http://ubuntuone.com/1wBb3bXAtQv1DnMjPhQY5m

Disable OTA Step 3: Using either Windows Zip or 7-Zip, unzip both scriptmanager.zip and disable-ota.zip to your desktop as scriptmanager.apk and disable-ota.sh

Disable OTA Step 4: Using Windows Explorer, move or copy scriptmanager.apk and disable-ota.sh to /Kindle Drive/Internal Drive/Download

Disable OTA Step 5: Next go into /Apps Open either Root Explorer or ES File Explorer with Root Permissions enabled.

Disable OTA Step 6: Using either ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, Install Script Manager scriptmanager.apk (S Manager)

Disable OTA Step 7: Close ES File Explorer or Root Explorer

Disable OTA Step 8: Stay in /Apps. Open S Manager, Allow the Superuser request, keep S Manager open.

Disable OTA Step 9: Using S Manager, navigate to /mnt/sdcard/Download by clicking on sdcard, then click
on Download. The Script Manager(S Manager) usually open to /mnt/sdcard. Just look at the very top of S
Manager to see the current S Manager file system location.

Disable OTA Step 10: Using S Manager, select the Script file disable-ota.sh by clicking on disable-ota.sh

Disable OTA Step 11: Next in S Manager select the top options Su and choose Run. The script will now Run,
ignore any errors.

Disable OTA Step 12: You may now exit S Manager by clicking the Back <- Arrow until S Manager closes.

Disable OTA Step 13: You have now shutdown the services that run the OTA Updates. You have also improved
your battery Run-time since you shutdown unnecessary services.

Disable OTA Step 14: Reboot the Kindle.

Notes on the Script disable-ota.sh: The following outlines the script and how it works. We have carefully written
the script to only shutdown OTA, no other services are disabled. Here is the exact services we shutdown:

1. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAUpdateMessageHandler" - This is a Messaging Service that sends and receives
data from OTA. This is similar to a Phone allowing OTA to communicate to the Kindle and the Kindle communicate to
OTA.

2. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService" - This is the actual base OTA Service that routes the communication
and starts the actual update when the update has been downloaded.

3. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.CheckForOTAUpdatesService" - This is the service that checks the OTA file library
to see what updates are available. It is also what detects the current software version.

4. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAStatusActivity" - This is the service that checks the update status - Installing,
Rebooting, Completed, etc.

5. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.ResetOTAMessageHandler" - This is the service that restarts the Kindle when the
update is completed.

6. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService$OTAWakeupReceiver" - This wakes the Kindle from Sleep Mode allowing
the update to download when you are not using the device.

7. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService$OTADedupeReceiver" - This is the service that checks the validity of
the download through OTA Certificate Files. If the file doe not pass a signal is sent to the Messaging Service to
restart the download and delete the current download file. This does have a timeout signal so it is not caught in
a loop.

8. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService$OTAInstallNowReceiver" - This is the service that starts the actual
update install.

If this was helpful and you would like to support our work, please send us a donation using this link:
http://xdaforums.com/donatetome.php?u=4435645

I'm working with a Mac here. Can I use the Android File Transfer App, for this? I have ES File Transfer on the ROOTED (thank you very much) Kindle, but in my NOOBY mind don't understand how I can see it other than using AFT, even then I can't. So can I just use your instructions except using AFT?

Chris/prokennexusa,
It appears that the enable-ota.sh script attached to the first file is in DOS format which was causing the enabling of the services to fail. When I executed each line manually through Terminal Emulator, it all worked fine. So you might want to update the attachment on the OP so that this script is in UNIX format. (The disable-ota.sh is fine and already in UNIX format.)

tobyq

Aug 16, 2010
Does anyone know how to tell if the 'disable' option took?

I can't seem to figure out how to tell what components are disabled. You can run pm enable or pm disable but there is no way to just see what the current state of the component is, from what I can tell. So I don't know how to really make sure they are disabled.

I would like to be able to list all of the components of com.amazon.dcp and verify the right ones are disabled, but I can't seem to figure out how.

Any ideas?

SilentlyScreaming

Feb 7, 2008
Astana
chrismerriman.com
If, when the components are loaded, they appear as a process, then a task manager app with a processes tab might be a good place to start. Though whether they are always running as a background service or not would obviously effect whether their absence from such a list would be a confirmation or not.
May well have mixed up Android/Windows terminology there, but hopefully you get the gist of it.

procter

Sep 16, 2007
My OTA was disabled fine, but does it also disable the upgrade option entirely? I manually downloaded the 7.3.0 and put it into the kindleupdates folder according to the instruction, but the upgrade button was still grayed out. How can I upgrade with OTA disabled?

Thanks.

tobyq

Aug 16, 2010
If, when the components are loaded, they appear as a process, then a task manager app with a processes tab might be a good place to start. Though whether they are always running as a background service or not would obviously effect whether their absence from such a list would be a confirmation or not.
May well have mixed up Android/Windows terminology there, but hopefully you get the gist of it.

Yep, I understand the terminology and was looking for just that, but I couldn't find it in the android world.

What I'm looking for now is someone who knows specifically how to find out if these components are disabled.

Anyone have any idea? I'd love to just 'trust' the script, but I don't just run scripts and trust that they do what they are saying they do.

In fact I didn't even really run the script, I manually ran each command via adb. Unfortunately when you run it it just says what the new state is, vs. what the prior state was. If it ran and just said something like "Prior State = Disabled, New state = Disabled" that would probably be enough for me, but it doesn't do that.

SilentlyScreaming

Feb 7, 2008
Astana
chrismerriman.com
Assuming you're happy investigating the reliability etc., it turns out the app on my phone I was thinking of is Advanced Tools - it has a processes tab under task manager.
Also All in one toolbox has something similar, possible the names are more user friendly, or that could just be extreme short term memory loss from alcohol.
Hmmm, possible the system tab with startup manager free is worth checking as well.
Finally(!) houmiak's Task Manager
Tell a lie, this one is the last, check out the task manager (click something like kernel I think?) within 3C's system tuner

There are most likely other apps that may help you, I've just been scrolling through what I've already installed.
Right, I'm done, supposed to be at a bar in 15 minutes, and I still need to load some tunes!

tobyq

Aug 16, 2010
Assuming you're happy investigating the reliability etc., it turns out the app on my phone I was thinking of is Advanced Tools - it has a processes tab under task manager.
Also All in one toolbox has something similar, possible the names are more user friendly, or that could just be extreme short term memory loss from alcohol.
Hmmm, possible the system tab with startup manager free is worth checking as well.
Finally(!) houmiak's Task Manager
Tell a lie, this one is the last, check out the task manager (click something like kernel I think?) within 3C's system tuner

There are most likely other apps that may help you, I've just been scrolling through what I've already installed.
Right, I'm done, supposed to be at a bar in 15 minutes, and I still need to load some tunes!

I don't mean to be rude, but....

What I'm looking for now is someone who knows specifically how to find out if these components are disabled.

I've tried quite a few apps, can't seem to find it. So.... does anyone know?

SilentlyScreaming

Feb 7, 2008
Astana
chrismerriman.com
I was suggesting you could use one of those tools to check.

If I was doing it, I'd (DISABLE WIFI FIRST :) ), re-enable OTA, reboot, and check the processes listed, looking for something relevant, perhaps taking a screen dump or two to list the relevant ones.

Then disable OTA again.
Reboot.

Check processes list. If some have disappeared, leave kindle running for a while, maybe open the Amazon store etc etc, and again check the processes tab.

Sorry I didn't have a definitive answer for you, I was just suggesting a route of research you could take to try and discover for yourself.

loonyone

Feb 2, 2011
I used the manual method to block OTA on my Kindle Fire 8.9 that was on software 8.3.0 and it auto-updated to 8.3.1 and removed root. I followed the instructions in the original post. I just wanted to let you know that it didn't work for me.

Thank you.

Reactions: Ectoplasmic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In this Noob Series, we will explore how to disable the Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates. This small script
    was written by our development staff. Our staff was very careful to disable all the OTA Services that Amazon can use to deploy updates. We have the script notes at the bottom for people interested in what actually is shut down. You may easily revert back and enable all services if desired, just download and execute the attached.

SCRIPT WAS UPDATED 01-29-2013 TO BLOCK NEW SERVICES

Prerequisites:

1. Rooted Kindle Fire HD 7" 8.9" or Fire 2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36375244

2. Kindle Fire First Aide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

Preferred Method (Automatic Method):

Disable OTA Step 1: Download Kindle Fire First Aide: Windows 32-bit Version Or Windows 64-bit Version

Disable OTA Step 2: Extract KFFirstAide.zip to C:\KFFirstAide - please remove the 32 or 64 at the end of the folder created by Winzip or 7-Zip

Disable OTA Step 3: With your mouse, open the C:\KFFirstAide contents by double mouse clicking the C:\KFFirstAide folder

Disable OTA Step 4: Find the RunMe.bat file. Right Hand Mouse click on RunMe.bat, select 'Send to', select Desktop (Create Shortcut). Now press the Left Hand Mouse button to create the Shortcut named RunMe.bat.

Disable OTA Step 5: Find the RunMe Shortcut on your desktop, select it by left mouse click over the icon, then while on the icon choose Right Hand mouse click, select Properties.

Disable OTA Step 6: This will display the RunMe properties. Select the General Tab, change the top name to KF First Aide. Then click on the Shortcut tab, click on Advanced. Check 'Run as Administrator', click OK, then click Apply, then click OK. All windows should be closed.

Disable OTA Step 7: Double Mouse Click the new Icon named KF First Aide. You may be presented with a security window, just click Yes.

Disable OTA Step 8: Please click on the Windows Key plus Pause/Break, this will display the Windows System Properties. Next Click on the Advanced Tab and find "Environment Variables". Please click on Environment Variables and find the Path Statement. Carefully add at the end of the Path Statement:

Code:
    ;C:\KFFirstAide
    Note: Do Not forget the semi-colen before the C:\KFFirstAide
    Disable OTA Step 9: That is it! The software is ready. Next we get the Kindle ready to disable OTA.

Disable OTA Step 10: Please check the Kindle under More + > Security - make sure ADB is ON. Leave it disconnected from USB.

Disable OTA Step 11: Launch Kindle Fire First Aide, if the ADB Driver is not installed, use Option 12 to Install the ADB Driver

Disable OTA Step 12: Make sure the Kindle is turned ON, plugged into the Computer USB and ready. Select Option 14 to Disable OTA.

Disable OTA Step 13: That is it! OTA is now disabled, you may close the software.

You may view the Kindle Fire First Aide Forum Notes here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

Alternative Method (Manual Method):

Disable OTA Step 1: Download the Disable OTA Script File: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/disable-ota.zip OR http://ubuntuone.com/7EOyYTaRqPOdP6dayeKYfy by downloading disable-ota.zip to your desktop.

Disable OTA Step 2: Download and Install Script Manager: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/scriptmanager.zip OR http://ubuntuone.com/1wBb3bXAtQv1DnMjPhQY5m

Disable OTA Step 3: Using either Windows Zip or 7-Zip, unzip both scriptmanager.zip and disable-ota.zip to your desktop as scriptmanager.apk and disable-ota.sh

Disable OTA Step 4: Using Windows Explorer, move or copy scriptmanager.apk and disable-ota.sh to /Kindle Drive/Internal Drive/Download

Disable OTA Step 5: Next go into /Apps Open either Root Explorer or ES File Explorer with Root Permissions enabled.

Disable OTA Step 6: Using either ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, Install Script Manager scriptmanager.apk (S Manager)

Disable OTA Step 7: Close ES File Explorer or Root Explorer

Disable OTA Step 8: Stay in /Apps. Open S Manager, Allow the Superuser request, keep S Manager open.

Disable OTA Step 9: Using S Manager, navigate to /mnt/sdcard/Download by clicking on sdcard, then click
    on Download. The Script Manager(S Manager) usually open to /mnt/sdcard. Just look at the very top of S
    Manager to see the current S Manager file system location.

Disable OTA Step 10: Using S Manager, select the Script file disable-ota.sh by clicking on disable-ota.sh

Disable OTA Step 11: Next in S Manager select the top options Su and choose Run. The script will now Run,
    ignore any errors.

Disable OTA Step 12: You may now exit S Manager by clicking the Back <- Arrow until S Manager closes.

Disable OTA Step 13: You have now shutdown the services that run the OTA Updates. You have also improved
    your battery Run-time since you shutdown unnecessary services.

Disable OTA Step 14: Reboot the Kindle.

Notes on the Script disable-ota.sh: The following outlines the script and how it works. We have carefully written
    the script to only shutdown OTA, no other services are disabled. Here is the exact services we shutdown:

1. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAUpdateMessageHandler" - This is a Messaging Service that sends and receives
    data from OTA. This is similar to a Phone allowing OTA to communicate to the Kindle and the Kindle communicate to
    OTA.

2. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService" - This is the actual base OTA Service that routes the communication
    and starts the actual update when the update has been downloaded.

3. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.CheckForOTAUpdatesService" - This is the service that checks the OTA file library
    to see what updates are available. It is also what detects the current software version.

4. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAStatusActivity" - This is the service that checks the update status - Installing,
    Rebooting, Completed, etc.

5. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.ResetOTAMessageHandler" - This is the service that restarts the Kindle when the
    update is completed.

6. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService$OTAWakeupReceiver" - This wakes the Kindle from Sleep Mode allowing
    the update to download when you are not using the device.

7. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService$OTADedupeReceiver" - This is the service that checks the validity of
    the download through OTA Certificate Files. If the file doe not pass a signal is sent to the Messaging Service to
    restart the download and delete the current download file. This does have a timeout signal so it is not caught in
    a loop.

8. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService$OTAInstallNowReceiver" - This is the service that starts the actual
    update install.

If this was helpful and you would like to support our work, please send us a donation using this link:
    http://xdaforums.com/donatetome.php?u=4435645
    Amazon Update Service Still Operational

To All-

We are getting a number of people asking about the Amazon Update service. The question is: "Does this script disable other

applications from Updating?" The answer is: "No, the scirpt only disables OTA. The following Updates are NOT disabled:

1. Google Play Update for all purchased applications: Enabled
    2. Google Play Application Update: Enabled
    3. Amazon App Store: Enabled
    4. Amazon Download Service: Enabled
    5. Whispersync: Enabled
    6. Music Automatic Download Service: Enabled
    7. Silk Cache Service: Enabled
    8. Video Download Service and Update: Enabled

We hope this clarifies the script functions.
    Follow Up - Feedback

The Noob series is good even for us old vets who have been on XDA almost 4 weeks, now.

Belasco,

We have been in the computer industry since 1982 and whenever I need to do something for

myself, I always look to the simple version with details. This is what triggered us to start

the Noob Series! Thank you for following our series.
    Question - Where do you find Apps

I'm sorry but im feeling noobier than a noob right now but what do you mean by "/apps"? Are you pertaining to the app drawer or are you in fact talking about in the file manager /system/app? Again very sorry but im not used to doing this as opposed to just flashing a custom rom and checking and unchecking options in the settings.

th3lawmak3r76,

No worries, we are here to answer questions. This is a good question and since you are used to

custom ROM's it makes sense why you ask. In the original version of the Kindle Fire HD Launcher

the "Apps" tab is where you will find all your Applications. So in the custom Launchers it would

be called the the primary "App Drawer". Does this help?
    Can't change Kindle name

It turns out that disabling OTA updates with this method does disable at least one piece of functionality: the ability to change the Kindle's name that appears in the status bar. It turns out that those update messages get sent in the same queue as OTA updates.