UrukDroid (Android) - developers ONLY thread

Search This thread

Neo Cortex

Aug 10, 2008
Just installed 1.6RC1. Only glitch was that it lost my Google account so I had to sign in again and synchronize. Other than that it seems to be working well. Thanks

fzelle

Mar 19, 2006
After the initial shock it is working now, but was tough to get there.

I had my patched MilestoneOverclock installed and the system was running with 1300MHz VSel 80.
The new kernel doesn't like that and the system freezes after the system is started and the Software kicks in.

So while starting i had to stop MS Overclock and deinstall it before it could start.

Maybee you can look into that method.
At least the Module it self is there in Source
http://code.google.com/p/milestone-...?name=milestone-overclock-module-1.4.8.tar.gz

Oh, yes forgot, "Live TV Flash" can't be installed.
Tries directly to install on sd (by itself) and fails somehow.

Last edited:

todobarato

Jan 5, 2011
Here is 1.6RC1

This package will also update kernel/initramfs and reboot. It will update apps in /system/app (so if you removed some of them - you may need to do it again). It may show startup configuration wizard - but only to confirm existing configuration.

http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.6/UrukDroid-1.6RC1-update.tbz2

After update - device will reboot itself.

ps. So far UrukDroid 1.5 installation package was downloaded 32593 times :)

Hello,

I have installed and works OK, on my A43, only is the lost of OC and UV, but I install back the beta kernel 1.6.

Best regard,

Ferenc.

sdho

Feb 9, 2010
I can concur Neo on having to re-setup google account on 1.6RC1. I also noticed 'deep sleep' is no longer functioning....it could be Archos firmware since I didn't compare it against stock Archos firmware.

Kashban

I have a problem with SU (probably since 1.51): I'm not able to update any binaries (like busybox or SU, or install new fonts), this always results in message "could not write to /system" or "could not remount system as r/w" and the like.

Root explorer on the other hand is perfectly capable of doing so, so I have no clue why system is not writable for other apps having SU rights.

I deleted and reinstalled SU, but to no avail. I could not find any hints in the log as to why SU grants root to apps and then these are not able to perform their tasks on /system.

EDIT: After fiddling with the su app it worked.

Other than that it looks fine for now. No need to relog with google. I'm going to work with the tablet some time and then give you a feedback on it's performance.

Last edited:

FrEcP

Jul 29, 2006
Last edited:

thebaldconvict

Aug 30, 2006
Can anybody confirm 'deep sleep' is working after the update? Would love a working Skype but as my tablet works so well on 1.5 I'm a little hesitant as I do use the deep sleep function......

Cheers all

Sent from my A101IT using xda premium

FrEcP

Jul 29, 2006
Can anybody confirm 'deep sleep' is working after the update? Would love a working Skype but as my tablet works so well on 1.5 I'm a little hesitant as I do use the deep sleep function......

Cheers all

Sent from my A101IT using xda premium
I'm not sure what was the problem before as I didn't use it for a while ... and a simply "not wokring" i found some posts ago wasn't the best option to describe a problem...

But I just did:
1. long press power button -> turn off -> hibernate
2. press power button -> device was instant on
if it tells u anything ;)

running UD1.6RC1 and the new Archos 2.3.65 FW

Kashban

Ok, after a few days with UD1.6RC1 I have to say: Works like a charm. I had some unexpected reboots but blame TuneIn Radio for this... great app but has it's issues.

Right now a swap partition is used, seems to be faster than the swap file I used before.

todobarato

Jan 5, 2011
Archos has 2.4.65 released :D

Yes and the changes sound very promising :

A101 accessory: add support for Archos 3G key A101
accessory: add support for some USB Ethernet adapters (chipsets: RTL8150, ASIX AX88xxx, Davicom DM9601, SMSC LAN75xx, SMSC LAN95xx, NetChip 1080, MosChip MCS7830)
A70 hard drive based devices: fix unit loosing mass storage happening sometimes on recent models Accelerometer: apply calibration right away without requiring a reboot to take effect PTP: fix USB host camera support

The 3gkey and ethernet is supported only in A10, probably do the full size usb connector.

$auron, this can be changed to add support on 7 and 43? Will be nice to have.

Best regards.

Ferenc.

$aur0n

Nov 27, 2010
Yes and the changes sound very promising :

A101 accessory: add support for Archos 3G key A101
accessory: add support for some USB Ethernet adapters (chipsets: RTL8150, ASIX AX88xxx, Davicom DM9601, SMSC LAN75xx, SMSC LAN95xx, NetChip 1080, MosChip MCS7830)
A70 hard drive based devices: fix unit loosing mass storage happening sometimes on recent models Accelerometer: apply calibration right away without requiring a reboot to take effect PTP: fix USB host camera support

The 3gkey and ethernet is supported only in A10, probably do the full size usb connector.

$auron, this can be changed to add support on 7 and 43? Will be nice to have.

Best regards.

It can be also supported only on A101 because of USB power issue. Anyway this is nothing new (it's system and kernel stuff to support ethernet/3g cards) - but it would be nice if they added support in configuration menus somewhere for this (I guess they had to).
Personally I don't find there any important changes.

About deep sleep - it's working for me (but you have to remember to turn off all network connection before doing it). If someone is afraid doing upgrade - just to backup before - you will be always ready to go back.

Reactions: thebaldconvict

todobarato

Jan 5, 2011
It can be also supported only on A101 because of USB power issue. Anyway this is nothing new (it's system and kernel stuff to support ethernet/3g cards) - but it would be nice if they added support in configuration menus somewhere for this (I guess they had to).
Personally I don't find there any important changes.

About deep sleep - it's working for me (but you have to remember to turn off all network connection before doing it). If someone is afraid doing upgrade - just to backup before - you will be always ready to go back.

Exactly, the implemented menus for the configuration are interesting. If you use one usb-hub with power is solved on A7 and A43. But if I install it on my A43 the menu are hirded or?

Best regards,

Ferenc

thebaldconvict

Aug 30, 2006
So in 1.5 for deep sleep I just press the power button and the led goes off and I presume that's it deep sleeped (its enabled in the settings) now with 1.6 I can still do that but I have to swith off the wireless connection first?

I can live with that, ill just use a widget to do it :) will install it later.....

Many many thanks for 1.5/1.6 and any updates you do to it, it can't be easy :/

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

sibere

Retired Recognized Developer
May 14, 2006
Paris
If you use one usb-hub with power is solved on A7 and A43. But if I install it on my A43 the menu are hirded or?

Best regards,

Ferenc

If those gadgets (usb-ethernet, 3G key) do not require more than about 400mA, they should work with A70 and the usb host patch (included in latest $aur0n's kernels).

$aur0n

Nov 27, 2010
Ok I've took a look at 2.4.65, and there will be some problems. They started to use usb modeswitch tool (witch we have in Uruk for a while now) and changed all connection scripts - this will require some rework on stuff made by nenadr (and he is inactive now for a longer while) :/

Piti8576

May 22, 2010
Berlin
1.6RC2 is out but the update fail.
After update no modules are loaded, in urukconfig comes only errors.
Wifi, Swap and more dosnt work.
The update.log says only "There is not enough Space" but there is over 400 MB in / and /data free.
The systeminfo says 2.4.65.
I have reinstall 1.5 and update to 1.6RC2 the same errors.
I have reinstall 1.5 and update to 1.6RC1 with no problems.

Last edited:

$aur0n

Nov 27, 2010
It was not ready yet - I was testing it.

As far as I can tell - now it should work ;)

Anyway before install please do rootfs backup (from rescuemenu of UrukDroid). You will be able always to get back.

1.6RC2 brings
- 2.4.65 archos fw changes
- updated apps (like su/superuser)
- library linking fixes
- kernel modules update
- upper bar (with buttons) has now 32px height (this was optional in UD 1.5)

We have new kernel modules (because of Ethernet dongle support) - I don't have device to test it. So please, anyone with A101 and proper device please test if it works - if it does, we can work on making it usable for A70 and smaller devices.

Piti8576

May 22, 2010
Berlin
Thanks now the update works perfect.
After upgrade to RC2 all works, i test it now :D

And thanks for the info with the backup.

edit:
OK one problem i have.
The LCD/HDMI doesnt work for me.
Under Stock Android it work.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is 1.6RC1

This package will also update kernel/initramfs and reboot. It will update apps in /system/app (so if you removed some of them - you may need to do it again). It may show startup configuration wizard - but only to confirm existing configuration.

http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.6/UrukDroid-1.6RC1-update.tbz2

After update - device will reboot itself.

ps. So far UrukDroid 1.5 installation package was downloaded 32593 times :)
    picture.php

This thread is created for developers and developing of UrukDroid ONLY.
    UrukDroid is alternative Android distribution, based on original Archos OS for Archos GEN8 tablets.

Please do not write here questions about installing UrukDroid on tablet - you can do it in default post - here.

All post violating above rule will be deleted.

This thread is created for:
    • manage people and dividing work
    • plan new releases
    • plan new features
    • help between developers
    • gain knowledge, materials
    • feature proposals by users

Things we are currently working on:
    • Sauron: memory I/O tuning
    • cheefy: backup script
    • Sauron: upgrade/install scripts
    • chulri: dvb support

What informations are we looking for:
    • How to prevent Android from going sleep on system level?
    • Format of bootlogo and initlogo.rle on Gen8 (we are aware of rgb2565 converter etc., but with no luck on Archos yet - I've tried different bit settings 4/8/16/24 and resolutions 200x480, 800x480 - Sauron)

Repository for binary and source releases is currently available here.
    UrukDroid 1.5B2

Hi,

Uruk 1.5 beta 2
    http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.5/UrukDroid-1.5B2-upgrade.tbz2
    130MB f5fc62f433324f3baf51e000f4b187e2 UrukDroid-1.5B2-upgrade.tbz2

Upgrade (so will erase probably some settings - just like before)
    - recompiled all modules (missing in beta1) for 3g/ethernet tethering and dvb drivers (but I will abandon all non standard dvb cards - too much work )
    - added (again) adhoc wifi support
    - moved libc to 2.13 (and all binaries)
    - configuration and services fixes, changes etc - fixed cifs modules loading

I've added message during upgrade process if it fails (so perhaps we will know why it failed to erase file on your devices - read messages during process)
    Early Uruk 1.5beta1

Here is early 1.5 (beta1) - please don't use it if you are not confident in your skills (reverting back to 1.1/1.0 is possible - but annoying).
    http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.5/UrukDroid-1.5B1-upgrade.tbz2

It will work as an upgrade of Uruk 1.0, but it's recommended to do it on 1.1 (because you can do full backup in RescueMenu).
    Please copy upgrade file to /data/UrukUpdate and read messages (Uruk 1.1) - device should reboot itself.

It should upgrade like every Uruk but it's NOT tested (upgrade process) so I advice to do rootfs backup (Uruk 1.1 ResceuMenu). Kernel from 1.5 WON'T work with any previous release - so after upgrade it won't be able to boot 1.1.
    This release has probably not working dvb/3g support - but it may work (simply not tested) - it's quite important for me to report what else is missing.

If you want revert back to 1.1 you should flash (from Archos BootMenu) 1.1 kernel/initramfs (http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.1/) and do rootfs restore from Uruk RescuMenu.

That's probably it :) Good Luck

btw. If you had Uruk market installed, after upgrade it will be gone (there will be icons left) - I recommend to use Arctool to install market (it has newer one and with it's certificates there is no wifi location problem).
    UrukDroid 1.1RC2

1.1RC2 with 2.3.81 changes, some kernel module changes (will see if it still do "soft reboot")
    If anyone knows sure method to trigger "soft reboot" - please let me know...
    First update kernel (/data/UrukUpdate)
    http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.1/UrukDroid-1.1RC2-kernel.tbz2
    Then update file
    http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.1/UrukDroid-1.1RC2-update-rc.tbz2

With some new changes in rescue menu I've added software way to disable SDCard Uruk boot: You can dissable boot from SDCard by naming any of it's partition "noboot" ('root@urukdroid:/root# e2label /dev/block/mmcblk2p1 noboot')
    It's usefull if you have Uruk on both sdcard and internal, and you don't want to remove card every time you want to boot internal (I use sdcard as live backup only now)