AT&T's response to my BBB complaint... "they aren't capping upload speeds"..yea right

Search This thread

kgeissler

Dec 21, 2006
Rowlett, TX
AT&T's response to my BBB complaint... "they aren't capping upload speeds"..yea right

On March 09, 2011, the business provided the following information:

AT&T Mobility Tele: 952.703.4316
Regulatory Response Team Fax: 952.703.2307

AGENCY'S NAME:
Better Business Bureau of Metropolitan
Texas COMPANY'S NAME:
AT&T
ADDRESS:
1600 Pacific Ave Suite 2800
Dallas TX 75201 ADDRESS:
Office of the President
2325 N. University
Lubbock, TX 79415
AGENCY REP: N/A COMPLAINANT'S NAME:
Keith Geissler
AGENCY'S FILE NO.:
91172869 COMPANY'S FILE NO.:
CM20110302_18007584

AT&T Mobility (AT&T) received the above-referenced customer complaint and appreciates the opportunity to respond. Specifically, Keith Geissler complains that the recently released Motorola Atrix does not offer speeds anywhere near what advertised speeds claim. He is requesting activation of 4G services and removal of the cap on the Motorola Atrix services.

Account research regarding this complaint shows that AT&T is focused on delivering a wide choice of solutions and the best possible Smartphone experience to our customers. Be assured that AT&T has not "capped" the upload speeds on the ATRIX. The ATRIX is a HSUPA-capable device, and we currently are performing the testing and preparations necessary to ensure that, when we turn this feature on, you will continue to have a world class experience.

We ask that you please keep in mind; software is only one of many factors that can affect speeds experienced. Factors such as location, time of day, network capacity and facilities, can have an impact as well. Again, in order to ensure the best possible customer experience services will become available once testing has been completed.

AT&T sincerely regrets any inconvenience this issue may have caused. Please feel free to contact me directly at 952-703-4316 if you have any additional questions or concerns in this matter.

Name: Sheila Utech, Customer Appeals Manager, Executive Response

PixoNova

Nov 28, 2010
I think the best idea would be to play the waiting game. Perhaps see what happens when they're finally done with the backhaul?

leadguy68

Mar 29, 2010
Thing is...I live in Dallas where 4G is "suppose" to be turned on.

Understood. However, it has been heavily discussed that HSUPA is infact DISABLED on the device its self. Hence their response.

HSPA+ is SHOWN on the device as active in all markets, however that is due to tower upgrades to reflect that... it does not mean you have HSPA+ yet if the back haul has not been upgraded to support the speeds.

leadguy68

Mar 29, 2010
I think the best idea would be to play the waiting game. Perhaps see what happens when they're finally done with the backhaul?

That is likely the case. Download speeds are not capped on the phone, only limited to what the backhaul to the tower in your area can support.

That said, HSUPA is in fact disabled, so you WILL NOT see speeds above 300k/s until they enable it with a firmware upgrade (or a dev here on xda fixes it :D )

Jim_R

Oct 17, 2007
Chicago
A read of the sentence following the one you highlighted in bold indicates AT&T admits that HSUPA is not enabled yet. I'm hearing it will be enabled in June in 7 markets. A better question to AT&T might be why are they limiting access to existing HSPDA+ today, that testing has already been done.

leadguy68

Mar 29, 2010
A read of the sentence following the one you highlighted in bold indicates AT&T admits that HSUPA is not enabled yet. I'm hearing it will be enabled in June in 7 markets.

The truth comes out... its good to know the BBB is good for something, as they couldnt just give a BS line in that response. Now we know they did infact disable it on purpose AND it will be activated.

franciscojavierleon

Jul 16, 2010
Maracaibo
it doesn't matter if you are living in a 4g zone, the fact is that the atrix won't do hsupa until an update for the phone gets released to enable it. at least they admitted that it's turned off

Sharkonwheels

Mar 28, 2010
I filed a BBB complaint with this, to clear their BS responses about 4G and backhaul upgrades, which has not a single iota to do with our issue:

Currently, AT&T is disabling HSUPA and high speed internet on all smartphones EXCEPT the iPhone 4. I understand 4G is not fully deployed, I'm still trying to get 3G speeds, but this is disabled on my 1-year-old Samsung Captivate, as well as the new Atrix 4G.

This has nothing to do with network upgrades, backhauls, or 4G. I'm simply trying to get 3G speeds as the iPhone 4 has with HSUPA. This was maliciously, and intentionally, disabled by AT&T on all non-Apple phones.

I can take my wife's iPhone 4, put it next to my Atrix or Captivate, run speeds tests, and the iPhone will be 2-4x faster. They are intentionally disabling HSUPA on Android phones, to preserve some notion of "upscale" on the iPhone 4, and this is fraudulent, and false advertising, as the specifications for both the Captivate and the Atrix say it has HSUPA, which is high-speed upload on 3G.

Again, this has NOTHING to do with 4G, or the network upgrades. I just want to get what I pay/paid for, and many of us are finding out that if you take a Captivate and experiment with the Bell Canada software for the modem, it enables the high-speed data, again NOT 4G, just like the iPhone 4, which is NOT a 4G device.

That experiment alone proves AT&T is deliberately and maliciously handicapping non-Apple smartphones.

I pay JUST AS MUCH every month for data as iPhone owners do, so it's not fair that they get 4 times the speed that I do, when the current 3G towers are more than capable of HSUPA.

alphadog00

Jun 29, 2010
Everyone should go to bbb.org and file a complaint and state specifically that the iPhone 4 works as HSUPA capable, the Atrix should as well since it is advertised as such.

I filed a BBB complaint with this, to clear their BS responses about 4G and backhaul upgrades, which has not a single iota to do with our issue:

Currently, AT&T is disabling HSUPA and high speed internet on all smartphones EXCEPT the iPhone 4. I understand 4G is not fully deployed, I'm still trying to get 3G speeds, but this is disabled on my 1-year-old Samsung Captivate, as well as the new Atrix 4G.

This has nothing to do with network upgrades, backhauls, or 4G. I'm simply trying to get 3G speeds as the iPhone 4 has with HSUPA. This was maliciously, and intentionally, disabled by AT&T on all non-Apple phones.

I can take my wife's iPhone 4, put it next to my Atrix or Captivate, run speeds tests, and the iPhone will be 2-4x faster. They are intentionally disabling HSUPA on Android phones, to preserve some notion of "upscale" on the iPhone 4, and this is fraudulent, and false advertising, as the specifications for both the Captivate and the Atrix say it has HSUPA, which is high-speed upload on 3G.

Again, this has NOTHING to do with 4G, or the network upgrades. I just want to get what I pay/paid for, and many of us are finding out that if you take a Captivate and experiment with the Bell Canada software for the modem, it enables the high-speed data, again NOT 4G, just like the iPhone 4, which is NOT a 4G device.

That experiment alone proves AT&T is deliberately and maliciously handicapping non-Apple smartphones.

I pay JUST AS MUCH every month for data as iPhone owners do, so it's not fair that they get 4 times the speed that I do, when the current 3G towers are more than capable of HSUPA.

adamantypants

Nov 8, 2008
las vegas
I find it odd that AT&T is still sucking so hard on the teets of Apple. Apple was literally waiting for the day to leave AT&T and join other carriers. And through all the years I was with AT&T they gave me crap service because I had a smartphone that didn't start with an "i".

What they NEED to be doing is focusing MORE on us Android users like Verizon did with theirs while they didn't have the iPhone. Because eventually iPhone users are going to want better service (drop calls much?) and potentially migrate to Verizon. Then all AT&T will have left is bitter Android users waiting for their contracts to expire.

Thank God I bailed on AT&T. In a strange twist for me is that my download speeds on Sprint sometimes aren't as high as my upload o_0. No matter since I still get over 1500kbps both ways.

edit: Man this thread is on every major tech blog now

Last edited:

mburris

Dec 5, 2007
Understood. However, it has been heavily discussed that HSUPA is infact DISABLED on the device its self. Hence their response.

HSPA+ is SHOWN on the device as active in all markets, however that is due to tower upgrades to reflect that... it does not mean you have HSPA+ yet if the back haul has not been upgraded to support the speeds.

The fact "H+" is shown has nothing to do with towers or markets.

by looking through the framework images (shown below), they have completely replaced the 3G or H (without a Plus next to it) with an "H+" icon.

So it doesn't matter if you are on 3G, HSPA, or HSPA+, it will display "H+"
15f4wvo.jpg

notice the lack or "3G" or "H"

Reactions: plasticglock
W

WiredPirate

This is great! Wish i would have had this earlier today when i filed my bbb complaint and called att to complain. Im gonna use your words next time i have this conveersation. :D

W

WiredPirate

by looking through the framework images (shown below), they have completely replaced the 3G or H (without a Plus next to it) with an "H+" icon.

15f4wvo.jpg

Wow that is unethical! So we will never know the truth running att/moto firmware!? :mad:

gshocker

May 20, 2006
San Diego
Somewhat depressing since it was more of a case of..oops we got caught what can we tell them now. Now we all get to wonder how long are they going to make us wait till we can get this update that they are "testing".. I certainly hope it is soon since it is depressing that the 4g phone is slower than now 4g branded devices.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On March 09, 2011, the business provided the following information:

AT&T Mobility Tele: 952.703.4316
    Regulatory Response Team Fax: 952.703.2307

AGENCY'S NAME:
    Better Business Bureau of Metropolitan
    Texas COMPANY'S NAME:
    AT&T
    ADDRESS:
    1600 Pacific Ave Suite 2800
    Dallas TX 75201 ADDRESS:
    Office of the President
    2325 N. University
    Lubbock, TX 79415
    AGENCY REP: N/A COMPLAINANT'S NAME:
    Keith Geissler
    AGENCY'S FILE NO.:
    91172869 COMPANY'S FILE NO.:
    CM20110302_18007584

AT&T Mobility (AT&T) received the above-referenced customer complaint and appreciates the opportunity to respond. Specifically, Keith Geissler complains that the recently released Motorola Atrix does not offer speeds anywhere near what advertised speeds claim. He is requesting activation of 4G services and removal of the cap on the Motorola Atrix services.

Account research regarding this complaint shows that AT&T is focused on delivering a wide choice of solutions and the best possible Smartphone experience to our customers. Be assured that AT&T has not "capped" the upload speeds on the ATRIX. The ATRIX is a HSUPA-capable device, and we currently are performing the testing and preparations necessary to ensure that, when we turn this feature on, you will continue to have a world class experience.

We ask that you please keep in mind; software is only one of many factors that can affect speeds experienced. Factors such as location, time of day, network capacity and facilities, can have an impact as well. Again, in order to ensure the best possible customer experience services will become available once testing has been completed.

AT&T sincerely regrets any inconvenience this issue may have caused. Please feel free to contact me directly at 952-703-4316 if you have any additional questions or concerns in this matter.

Name: Sheila Utech, Customer Appeals Manager, Executive Response

I used to work for AT&T. Keep filing the BBB complaints, but also start hammering Sheila Utech listed above. Call and keep calling. If she doesn't get you satisfactory answer, tell you want the problem escalated to Ralph DeLa Vega (President and CEO-AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets). Keep doing it until you get an answer you're satisfied with and don't take no for an answer. The only thing that will get them to make this right is if you scream loud and long.

15f4wvo.jpg