Microphone cutting out mid call

Search This thread

Dan76

Dec 3, 2008
Asheville
I didn't think it did... but he posted it in the thread:
"[Q] POLL: Verizon Galaxy Nexus In-Call Microphone Issue - Location Map"
which is directly related to our problem.

...on the off chance is was related. at this point, I'll try anything.

charlescom

Dec 31, 2011
I am just wondering, how come some users on this forum have no idea what issue we are talking about?

Is it just minor portions of us that are having this issue?
Or is it just because so many galaxy nexus owners just use this device as a computer rather than a phone?

I hope to believe the people experiencing this issue is the norm, not the other way around. If we are a minor percentage of people, we pretty much have less hope....

LOL

jclake

Jan 3, 2011
It is a small percent impacted

The issue may be tied to location or may be tied to the individual. If it is a setting at Verizon on your account that would explain why some users have exchanged phones several times and still have the issue.

My issue seems to happen most often to one caller (but he is the person that calls me the most so it might just be frequency). And I also have the problem most often sitting at my desk at work (could be a location issue or again frequency because this is where I make and receive most of my calls.)

I am really hoping the 4.0.5 update fixes this because a phone that is unreliable for making phone calls is junk to me. Especially business calls. I really feel like a jerk on a business call when I can hear the person on the other end asking me a question and then I can hear them when there is no response. They think I hung up on them!! If 4.0.5 doesn't fix it I am just killing time until iPhone 5 comes out. (Gets rid of the issue of the hardware supplier blaming the OS supplier and vice versa.)

The worst thing about this issue is the three suppliers (Verizon, Google and Samsung) seem to be ignoring this issue.

maw230

Jun 18, 2010
VZ replaced both of our GN's without a fuss when we mentioned this issue. I have been lucky not to have a problem since then, but I can't help but expect it to come back. I'm runny Gummy's latest ROM if that helps. Best ROM i've used to date.

spencer88

Apr 19, 2010
Columbia, SC
VZ replaced both of our GN's without a fuss when we mentioned this issue. I have been lucky not to have a problem since then, but I can't help but expect it to come back. I'm runny Gummy's latest ROM if that helps. Best ROM i've used to date.

I've kept my original Galaxy Nexus and I've had this problem. But over the past month or so, I haven't experienced it. Weird. I can only think that it will come back when I least expect it.

propyls

Apr 13, 2011
Mines gotten worse. I've lost every call I've either made or received in the last month with the exception of my wife's number occasionally.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jclake

Jan 3, 2011
Mines gotten worse. I've lost every call I've either made or received in the last month with the exception of my wife's number occasionally.

Are you in the same location(s) each time your phone cuts out. Is there a location it works normally at?

I worry that if someone in our group does something and the problem ends for them they will stop visiting this thread and they won't report what they did to resolve the issue in their case.

I haven't experienced an audio cutting out event for at least a week. I haven't done anything to my phone other than install updates as they become available on Google Play. I did apply the tweak to PowerAmp so Volume+ works with the latest update.

Reactions: Dan76

propyls

Apr 13, 2011
I'm typically in my office but it'll happen even when driving. I'm gonna unroot and try to exchange it at this point cause its unusable at this point. I'll take my chances with another one.

jclake

Jan 3, 2011
I'm typically in my office but it'll happen even when driving. I'm gonna unroot and try to exchange it at this point cause its unusable at this point. I'll take my chances with another one.

If you get a new phone and don't have the problem after using the phone for a month, please report back that replacing the phone cured the issue for you.

propyls

Apr 13, 2011
I will. I'm curious to see if the newer models made later than Feb fix the problem.

bangdrum

Jan 21, 2011
I just flashed the new bootloader and radio. I'll test it tonight and report back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

chapsizzle71

May 11, 2010
Pennsylvania
I just flashed the new bootloader and radio. I'll test it tonight and report back.

I will do this also. I have not initially reported it however I've had the same issues.

I'm in Pennsylvania in an area where 4G/3G hand off a fair amount. Reviewing my phone calls for the month of April I found one call over 30 minutes. The majority are under 20. Not all were disconnects. There is one coworker who when I speak to him, we have frequent disconnects.

I read through the majority of this thread last evening, did we determine if the hardware revision affects this issue?

Previous Radio Version:
FA02/FA02

Current Version:
FC04/FC05

I will report back if I have any issues or if it works well.

Last edited:

BigFwoosh

Jan 26, 2010
I flashed the new bootloader and basebands last night and was on a call for 1 hour and 5 min without experiencing the issue. I don't want to get my hopes up, but this seems promising.

emcd4

Nov 14, 2008
Flashed 4.0.4 last night and so far no dropped outgoing audio - but time will tell since it has been so random.

bangdrum

Jan 21, 2011
Reporting back.
I tested 3 phone calls all about fifteen minutes and no issues. Fingers are crossed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

BigFwoosh

Jan 26, 2010
Well hell now I want to flash 4.0.4 lol

You don't necessarily need to flash the whole thing, just the new basebands.

For the record, I've had a few calls today and a few yesterday and still haven't had the mic cut out. Some people on the Google issue thread are saying it didn't help them though, so I may just have been lucky lately.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Vote for this issue here:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24019

Hopefully this will get the attention of Google.
    Edit: please see this Google issue tracker post and star it to get Google's attention!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24019

I've had it happen 3 times now that I'll be on a call for a number of minutes and all of a sudden the person I'm talking to won't hear me any more. To be fair, I've been talking to the same person, and each time it's been an extended call (5+ minutes). It happened on Saturday, twice. Since then, I have wiped data/cache and flashed a custom rom. It happened again this evening, right around 10 minutes into the call.

The microphone doesn't come back. I tried turning on speaker phone and muting/unmuting my mic, but it won't bring the microphone back. Like I said, this is the same person I've spoken to each time, however, I've been speaking with them often (with their current phone) on my previous phone and never had this issue, so I'm not sure if it's their phone's problem. I spoke with someone else for 30+ minutes on Sunday and didn't have this happen.

To remedy the situation, I just hang up and call back and it works fine, until it happens again.

I'm confused. Is my phone problematic or is it a software bug or is it the other person's phone? Is anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention I'm on VZW LTE/CDMA.
    This was a common problem on the Samsung Droid Charge, which uses the same questionable Via baseband modem for voice calls. The earlier Charge Froyo firmware had all kinds of voice issues: 1) outgoing voice drop. 2) systematic cut in/out. 3) garbled robot voice quality. 4) loud ear hurting static. Since the latest Charge firmware EP4 (gingerbread), all issues except occasional robot voice are fixed. The phone is now usable where it was laughable before. The loud static may have been linked to certain phones / hardware rather than firmware.

Hopefully Samsung can incorporate the Charge fixes into the Nexus.

Hopefully Samsung stops using 3rd rate Via chips.
    This has been happening to me across 3 separate VZ Gnexs now. A total of probably 30 times or more now. It happens no matter the conditions, wifi, 4G, 3G, incoming, outgoing, it does not seem to matter, I am in the Denver metro area in areas that usually have pretty good signal too.

I finally got a response on my support ticket regarding this issue at VZW. They said that it is a software issue with the Galaxy Nexus and that it should be fixed with an OTA at some point in the future... No eta available.

I have also been having an issue with the 4G and 3G Data connection dropping randomly and requiring power cycle or Airplane Mode cycle to get it back.

After all of the issues I have been having they offered to let me switch back to a certified pre owned Rezound or Razr or cancel my contract free of charge but wouldn't give me a bill credit....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    There, tacked on this info to the end of the bugtracker post.