Help! Phone refuses to unroot.

Search This thread

xeron72548

May 26, 2013
Pearland
Hey!
I have to send my phone back to AT&T because the microphone isn't working. I had an unlocked boot loader and was rooted with TWRP and Arhd. I got back to stock yesterday by restoring a stock nandroid I had made in TWRP before I flashed ARHD, flashing a stock recovery, and relocking my boot loader. However, Super su refuses to leave my app drawer. I do the perma unroot option in the menu and it works until I restart the phone. Then it shows back up. It might be that I need a stock kernel but I don't know

Please help! Thanks!

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
You probably need to do unroot with twrp installed since it relies on a custom recovery to write to system partitions

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: xeron72548

xeron72548

May 26, 2013
Pearland
You probably need to do unroot with twrp installed since it relies on a custom recovery to write to system partitions

So I need to unlock the bootloader and flash TWRP again and then it will work? Once I do that, do I just do the regular perma unroot in super su?

xeron72548

May 26, 2013
Pearland
WP_20140505_15_30_32_Pro.jpg
Yes, then reboot then flash stock recovery and relock

Why does my kernel say that?

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
I thought you already returned to stock. Is your kernel not stock?

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
Extract it from the firmware and flash it

jmjm003

Dec 29, 2012
Atlanta Ga
Reactions: xeron72548

xeron72548

May 26, 2013
Pearland
I've never flashed another ROM or a custom kernel and this is what my kernel shows.
I am unlocked and rooted on stock.

3.4.0-gb52e55d
root@abm012#1
SMP PREEMPT

Pretty sure you are on the stock kernel Xeron.

This might be of interest to you. Someone in another thread had to use it to get rid of SU.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2321585

Thanks for this! I actually ran the tool and while it did get rid of SU from popping back up, my kernel stayed the same. But at least now I know that is isn't a custom kernel. Thanks!

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
Why would su change your kernel?

Sorry I think I missed one of your posts earlier. I was at work and distracted while trying to help you. Su is just administrative access. The application only manages what apps can and cannot have administrative access.

xeron72548

May 26, 2013
Pearland
Why would su change your kernel?

Sorry I think I missed one of your posts earlier. I was at work and distracted while trying to help you. Su is just administrative access. The application only manages what apps can and cannot have administrative access.

I have no idea how or why SU would change it. However, do you know how to get back out of it and have a normal kernel name?

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
What's wrong with your kernel name? Looks like a nice kernel name to me.

Top Liked Posts