[Q] OTA 4.4.2 Fails with Root

Search This thread

Code3VW

May 1, 2009
I must be missing the how-to thread, but I've searched and come up empty handed...

I have a Verizon S4 on 4.3 with root. Originally I had 4.2 rooted, did the procedure to keep root when I upgraded to 4.3, but now I cannot upgrade to 4.4.2 without removing root (the OTA fails).

How do I remove root from 4.3 so that I can take the OTA update? I found this thread here, however, the Stock Firmware Page only lists 4.2.2 as an option, not 4.3. I didn't want to brick my phone by flashing to 4.2.2.

Is this really the simplest way to make my rooted 4.3 take the OTA for 4.4.2?

Thanks!

xXsquirr3lsXx

Mar 23, 2014
I must be missing the how-to thread, but I've searched and come up empty handed...

I have a Verizon S4 on 4.3 with root. Originally I had 4.2 rooted, did the procedure to keep root when I upgraded to 4.3, but now I cannot upgrade to 4.4.2 without removing root (the OTA fails).

How do I remove root from 4.3 so that I can take the OTA update? I found this thread here, however, the Stock Firmware Page only lists 4.2.2 as an option, not 4.3. I didn't want to brick my phone by flashing to 4.2.2.

Is this really the simplest way to make my rooted 4.3 take the OTA for 4.4.2?

Thanks!

First of all, I would recommend staying at MK2. There are many reasons. If you REALLY want to goto 4.4.2, you have to open SuperSU and tap on Cleanup for permanent unroot. Then try taking the OTA.

EDIT: To get root back on 4.4.2, use towelroot.
EDIT 2: If you want to keep MK2 baseband but upgrade to 4.4.2, follow surges method.

Code3VW

May 1, 2009
Forgot to list that...I tried using SuperSU but it just sits there with the spinning circle forever and never says it has completed.

I have no real reason to go to 4.4.2, other than my desire to try the new OS...

richieroro

Jul 10, 2007
xXsquirr3lsXx - Can you elaborate on why you recommend staying on MK2?

Code3VW - The other option you have is to ODIN the NC5 tar.

rsalas187

Jul 20, 2009
You could use the verizon repair tool , it will load the latest version of android and then use towelroot for root. I had the same problem on my wifes S3 and it worked and it is confirmed towelroot works on the S4.

xXsquirr3lsXx

Mar 23, 2014
The very very very slim outside chance of finding a bootloader exploit...would most likely be found for pre - kitkat releases.

sent by safestrap powered echo v26

Hoping Dan releases something at blackhat... If nothing this i545 is going on Swappa.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    xXsquirr3lsXx - Can you elaborate on why you recommend staying on MK2?

Code3VW - The other option you have is to ODIN the NC5 tar.

The very very very slim outside chance of finding a bootloader exploit...would most likely be found for pre - kitkat releases.

sent by safestrap powered echo v26