Cyanogenmod and push notifications (aka Whatsapp delays v2)

Search This thread

ziemny

Dec 28, 2011
Warsaw
So I've been having problems with push notifications (whatsapp, gmail) for a looong time now and it really pisses me off like f&*k. I mean, if I want an "instant" messenger, I don't want to receive my messages after 2 hours or when I wake my phone up, right ?
I switched ROMs countless times, same thing with kernels and all I can say is that the push notifications work perfectly ONLY on stock kernel+ROM (as from my experience). But what if I don't want to stay on 2.1 and receive my messages instantly ?
I've done some research on google for CM and push notifications and it appears that I'm not the only one having this problem. People say that there's an issue with mobile internet connection (I don't experience problems on WiFi) and it feels like it "refreshes" from time to time instead of staying connected. So what's the case here ? I'm desperate to have it fixed, but after weeks of research, all I found is that people on stock ROMs don't experience this s#it...

hetunandu

May 8, 2011
In many roms, To save battery the internet connection refreshes, so u just have to remove that setting, Ask it to the developer of the respective rom how to do it

Reactions: ziemny

ziemny

Dec 28, 2011
Warsaw
In many roms, To save battery the internet connection refreshes, so u just have to remove that setting, Ask it to the developer of the respective rom how to do it

Thank you for your answer. I hope it helps with my push notifications issue, because I get this with literally every messanger (Whatsapp, Talk, Viber, GMail). Screw the battery life, I want to stay connected instead of getting a 2 hour delay between messages :(

ziemny

Dec 28, 2011
Warsaw
I never have this issue :/ you sure that android is not killing them because of low memory etc

Sent from a grumpy person

Lots of ROMs, lots of kernels, no task killer, no additional apps and it still disconnects after 5 minutes of the phone being idle. Then when I wake the phone up and go to Whatsapp for example, it takes a while to connect again (nothing shows in place of "Last seen"). In some cases I need to manually turn data transfer off and on again to make it work. Same with Viber, Google Talk, GMail. I eventually receive my messages after some random amount of time. Sometimes it's 5 minute delay, sometimes it's 2 hours.

ziemny

Dec 28, 2011
Warsaw
Download trillian and ur good to go. In settings click keep WiFi activ and no prop no more.

Sent from my E15i using XDA

I think you missunderstood me ;)
I have no problems on WiFi. I have problems with push notifications in general. My data transfer won't stay connected full-time. It goes to sleep after I stop using my phone for a while, then it reconnects when I wake the phone up (sometimes I have to reconnect it manually), so the problem isn't with certain application, but with the phone in general.

Best regards

zytres

Aug 13, 2011
Solution

cyanogenmod turns off wi-fi when the phone is idle so you should download an app for that from the play store, like advanced wi-fi lock for example, to be able to keep it on. Hope i helped :D
But anyways i think that if the signal is low and the phone disconnects from the wireless network it wont connect again, so you will have to connect it manually again.

ziemny

Dec 28, 2011
Warsaw
I just changed my provider to T-Mobile and it seems like the problem is gone. Why ? I don't know. I hope it's not just temporary and I won't come back here in a few days, complaining even more.

Regards

ziemny

Dec 28, 2011
Warsaw
Yep, almost 2 days and it's working like a charm. If you have any problems with push notifications on CM, it's probably your provider screwing you over :p

Mod please close the thread :)

darkfrmr

Mar 14, 2011
hmm I don't know about ICS but on CM7 I don't have that problem. I have gmail, hotmail, whatsapp and viber apps, all with push notifications working fine... don't know why push notifications wouldn't work on ICS, in my opinion it's your providers fault if you try to push notifications using 3g or 2g data and they came delayed.

ps: I'm using miniCM7.

toggler

Sep 26, 2014
[edit: uh.. wrong threat]
is there a way of getting push notifications without google-apps?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.