How do I use ADB Sideload?

Search This thread

sevenpioverthree

Mar 7, 2013
What these instructors fail to realize is that most of us haven't been using shell commands since we were 11 years old.
I'm not even sure how to start ADB sideload. I just downloaded a whopping 389 mb package for the entire sdk when all I needed was adb sideload.
(but I couldn't find any place to download just the adb sideload).

Now when I double click on adb, the black screen comes up for two seconds and I see a whole bunch of lines scrolling down and then the black screen disappears.

There are lots of guides on how to use the Android Debugging Bridge (ADB) here on xda. It is a fairly complicated process to set up AND use effectively, at least for me it was! But once you get it, ADB is an extremely powerful tool. If you already got the Android SDK and edited your environment variables (i think that's what it is called), you simply open up command prompt and can use adb from any directory. But depending on how you set it up you may have to use "cd C:/" to use adb. Anyway i think I wasted your time with some nonsense, i have the thread around here somewhere that teaches about adb

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

sevenpioverthree

Mar 7, 2013
I can't edit my post for some reason, but at the top of this forum is a FAQ by our own flastnoles11, in his first post is a link to a fantastic ADB guide that I used myself. Be sure to thank him as well as the creator of the guide and good luck!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Reinstall the drivers and make sure that your adb is updated so u have the side load function.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

My ADB is completely up to date and has a sideload function. I have figured it out though.

Basically I edited the "android_winusb.inf" file under "C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver". I put my device into recovery and then went into device manager on my computer. I right clicked my phone which had a yellow exclamation mark and was named "Samsung_SPH_L710" (or something close to that) and went into properties, then the details tab and then chose "hardware ID". There were 2 lines there. The lines were:

Code:
    USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001&MI_01
    USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001&REV_0228&MI_01

I took those lines and pasted them under:

[Google.NTx86]
    xxxxxx
    ;Google Nexus (generic)
    xxxx

I put the lines after the last line under the "Google Nexus (generic)". If you have a 64-bit computer then instead of [Google.NTx86] you put them under [Google.NTamd64]. The lines still go after the last line of "Google Nexus (generic)". The lines then looked like this:

Code:
    ;Google Nexus (generic)
    %SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE0
    %SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE1
    %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE2
    %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE2&MI_01
    %SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE3
    %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE4&MI_01
    %SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE5
    %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE6&MI_01
    [COLOR="Red"]%SingleAdbInterface% 	    = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001&MI_01
    %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001&REV_0228&MI_01[/COLOR]

The red lines are the new ones I inputted. I saved the file, uninstalled my phone under device manager, disconnected it, and while it was still in recovery, reconnected it and installed the driver. I had to point the installer to the "C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver" folder. My computer then prompted me to reboot and upon rebooting it asked me to install the driver but this time I did not need to point it to any folder, and voila! I can now use adb in recovery. If you are using this method, then after you are done type in:

Code:
    adb devices

If your device shows up, then you have successfully completed this!

I probably explained this is a really god awful way. This might be common knowledge among you guys but if it isn't then maybe one of you can re-write this in a more comprehensive way since ADB sideload could come in handy.

EDIT: I want to add that I did not figure this out on my own. I got it from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37993317&postcount=22. The only thing is I couldn't copy those values directly I had to find them myself under "hardware id"
    A couple of days ago, I nearly bricked my phone to no return. In the process of this I remembered reading about ADB sideload. So I went ahead and tried to use the function to re-flash my ROM in TWRP. However, when I connected my phone my computer didn't recognize it and the "adb sideload 'filename'" command wasn't working it just kept telling me "device not connected". Is there a way I can set up my computer/phone for ADB sideload in case this ever happens to me again?
    Did you have the drivers installed? Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers and make sure your phone shows up

You can also run this:
    Code:
    adb devices

To see connected devices
    Adb won't detect devices that are in recovery, it has to be booted up because it checks whether debugging is enabled too
    WAIT, no ignore that post lol
    The evo lte can be rebooted into recovery through adb even when it's dead.....

So if the hardware supports it then it does work.....

To your question....that's strange, maybe your phone just isn't compatible with it for some reason
    I know some peoples phones won't mount the sdcard through recovery, ever